Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena [US] **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, definitely the weakest of the season so far. With only 6 episodes total, I thought that Batiatus would "deal" with dear old dad all in the span of the one episode but I guess that will take up most of one of the remaining 3 now with the other 2 dealing with Batiatus' many other problems...

Loving the stuff with Crixus so far - it's fascinating to see him scared and unsure, such a huge contrast with the overconfident champion of Blood and Sand. It was also interesting to see Oenomaus so hesitant to crack the whip and truly take up the mantle of Doctore - I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of his journey to becoming the character we see in Blood and Sand.

That scene with the slave girl was pretty brutal, the guy they had playing Varrus' scumbag friend was perfect for the role. He dialed the creepiness right up to 11 with those dead eyes...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Look's like dear old dad's honey wine might have been poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

don ramo wrote: »
    and id say john hanna made sure he didnt get that right the first time:D, to bad daddy cut it short, gaia is deffinately the new illithia, she gets better looking by the episode, and also more conniving, she licks a$$ far better than illithia,

I'm just wondering how much he gets payed for it. Talk about having one of the best jobs going. :D

Some very strong scenes and interesting to see how Doctore/Crixus/Batiatus are evolving into the characters we know and love.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Look's like dear old dad's honey wine might have been poisoned.

Gaia or Lucretia?....my money's on Gaia! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well the way Lucretia avoided giving any to Batiatus i would put money on her if it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

From reading about and seeing the odd episode of this show it seems they really could have just called it Spartacus: Sex and Violence..I won't lie, I've used it for **** material. I don't agree that's it's the best show on tv however, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

K4t wrote: »
    From reading about and seeing the odd episode of this show it seems they really could have just called it Spartacus: Sex and Violence..I won't lie, I've used it for **** material. I don't agree that's it's the best show on tv however, not even close.
    honestly i would not consider this self love material, well maybe if i was 15:D,

and if you dont consider this even close to good tv what do you consider good tv, its just not to your general taste, ive hated many well renowned shows in my time, and loved many shows that get looked dowm upon,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Watched the 1st and 2nd episodes last night, the fight scenes are good and so is the love scenes, them Romans were horny back then!!

Haven't seen ep. 4 - cued up ready to go, i love 1080i for this show :-)
    Ratings...got some basic numbers for ep. 3:

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena averaged 1.264 million viewers and a 0.6 rating in adults 18-49, up 0.1 from last week.

^ excellent, doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When they announced this prequel I was expecting something different. No I'm not complaining

But I just thought it'd be maybe one episode per character on how they ended up in Capua.

Like Barca from Carthage, we saw a small flashback in the first series on him.
    Or Asher that snake from Gaul.
    Or best of all, Doctore, once a top gladiator but then injured

Just throwing it out there that if they ever wanted to do another prequel series I'd love to see this. More background to each character

• Advertisement

Just off from watching ep. 4 - honestly, a very mixed bag....thought it was one of the weaker eps. - Gaia = RIP, Tullius beat her head to a pulp!....damn!, i was really hoping for more from Gaia...in terms of a character.

I expected her to be more like Ilythia but in the end she was sneaky in a less evil way as opposed to Ilythia. Not much happened tbh....and you'd think it would considering it only has 6 episodes.

We're seeing the beginning of Gannicus and Melitta, i also suspect Diona will kill herself by jumping off the cliff. Ashur...what a tool, i was half expecting him to get pollaxed in his fight, you can see the beginnings of his sneaky antics in this ep.

Nice orgy!...what happens now to Gaia's super hot tall blonde handmaiden?. Dunno, overall it was very average, it's since Titus was introduced, he's dragging Batiatus down...reigning him in, he needs to die....soon!

But with only two left they haven't much scope or avenues to explore, this series should have been 13 eps. or a minimum of 10, there is soooo much scope for great storytelling, it just seems they wasted two eps. that could and should be epic, i blame the writers.

The married Dollhouse duo of Wheadon/Tacheron should be writing this stuff along with DeKnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I was surprised by Gaia's departure alright. Shame. She was a great character. I agree though this was a bit of a non event of an episode. Small bit of fighting one big orgy and very little progression to the story doesn't make for a great episode. I'd like to see them reign in the sex scenes for the next 2 episodes as they are getting a bit much and definitely should not dominate the episodes the way this one did.

Interesting to see that Selonius betrays the house of batiatus consistently and unwittingly. Doesn't seem to be any menace in him but he keeps counsel with the wrong people and it keeps making trouble for Quintus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

djkeogh wrote: »
    I was surprised by Gaia's departure alright. Shame. She was a great character. I agree though this was a bit of a non event of an episode. Small bit of fighting one big orgy and very little progression to the story doesn't make for a great episode. I'd like to see them reign in the sex scenes for the next 2 episodes as they are getting a bit much and definitely should not dominate the episodes the way this one did.
    Interesting to see that Selonius betrays the house of batiatus consistently and unwittingly. Doesn't seem to be any menace in him but he keeps counsel with the wrong people and it keeps making trouble for Quintus.

Agreed , in a season as curtailed as this two threesomes a sex show(Melitta & Gannicus) and an orgy in the space of 4 episodes is just ott , in B & S the sex scenes with Batiatus were often business like affairs with slaves who he would **** while filling lucretia in on his cunning plans so there purpose was more then just mere titillation .As for this episode While I undertand with the orgy they were aiming to show how far this once great house had fallen (from been known for sword & Shield to c**t & ass) i felt like i was watching an x-rated George lucas film at times ,except instead of cramming 20 droids into every frame it was ass .

Agreed , in a season as curtailed as this two threesomes a sex show(Melitta & Gannicus) and an orgy in the space of 4 episodes is just ott , in B & S the sex scenes with Batiatus were often business like affairs with slaves who he would **** while filling lucretia in on his cunning plans so there purpose was more then just mere titillation .As for this episode While I undertand with the orgy they were aiming to show how far this once great house had fallen (from been known for sword & Shield to c**t & ass) i felt like i was watching an x-rated George lucas film at times ,except instead of cramming 20 droids into every frame it was ass .

Quote of the day! :p

ratings for ep. 4 - slightly down from last week:

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (STARZ, )
    - 1.112 million viewers
    - N/A HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Episode 4 was the most ott so far, but I felt for the first time it was a bit cringe worthy at times ? They tried and succeed in making it the darkest ep so far though by a running mile. Not a happy time.

I have a massive and ginormous spoiler, tbh...if you watch the show i would AVOID reading this:
    Melitta dies in ep. 5

Woah!...Lucretia!, well that one wasn't too big a shocker, but it was played out pretty well!, so Lucretia was poisoning Titus and he crocked, but poor Melitta!....she also partaked and croked as well!

Season finale should be good next week!, Batiatus will go mental now for revenge in thinking Tullius killed his father!, then lucretia had Crixus fu*k her to impregnate her....and Diona just gets away?

It wasn't the most action packed or gripping, but it was still pretty good!...but i have to say the last 3 eps. have been rather weak, hopefully the finale will go all out. Oh and RIP Dagan's eye!

Titus: tell me you're not the serpent i thought you to be?
    Lucretia: i am not, i'm far worse!"

^ epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Woah!...Lucretia!, well that one wasn't too big a shocker, but it was played out pretty well!, so Lucretia was poisoning Titus and he crocked, but poor Melitta!....she also partaked and croked as well!

Season finale should be good next week!, Batiatus will go mental now for revenge in thinking Tullius killed his father!, then lucretia had Crixus fu*k her to impregnate her....and Diona just gets away?

It wasn't the most action packed or gripping, but it was still pretty good!...but i have to say the last 3 eps. have been rather weak, hopefully the finale will go all out. Oh and RIP Dagan's eye!

Titus: tell me you're not the serpent i thought you to be?
    Lucretia: i am not, i'm far worse!"

^ epic!

Must say I enjoyed that one. Great fight between Crixus and Gannicus even if it was only with wooden swords. Ashur, what can you say about the man, he's lower than a snake. That eye scene will haunt me for a while.
    It was definitely Lucretia's episode. Looking forward next week to see it come out about Selonius and what he did to gain favour, Batiatius has no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Damn, poor Melitta, that was cold.

Lucretia was poisoning dear old dad as expected :D

Dagen's eye..... ouch

Next week should be Epic. I'm wondering if they'll explain Asher's injury and looking forward to see what becomes of Gannicus and most importantly Batiatus gunning for revenge.

I think Gannicus will be the one who goes on a rampage, after the games in Tullius' house, he'll off him and Vettius....then Gannicus excapes, Crixus has to face Ashur next week!.....i think a fair few will get killed, i expect Doctore to be in the mix also.

I'd like too see a big blowout ala the season 1 finale, maybe Doctore and Gannicus team up for a bloodbath in Tullius' house. Finale promo...tbh, i'd avoid watching it as you'd want the finale to be a total unknown:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Much better episode than episode 4 was but still not off the peaks of the first few. So Titus has been dispatched and my Lucretia pretty much as expected. Nice little touch though that she had been poisoning him all along to drive him away.

Setup is nice for the finale. Not too sure how things are gonna go and will happily just let the episode wash over me rather than speculate on the possibilities.

Poor Dagen. That snake Ashur. I'll relish his downfall. I wonder why he got kept around in Season 1 though as he could no longer fight seeing as Dagen is already having plans to get rid of him. How does he come to find the ear of Batiatus is what intrigues me more than how he gets injured and I feel it'll be more or less glazed over or maybe I just need to rewatch season 1 to remind myself.

All in all though it's a great 50 odd minutes of entertainment and I enjoy every episode though some are more epic then others.

Ratings went up for ep. 5 - doing very nicely:

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (STARZ, 10pm, 57 minutes)
    - 1.384 million viewers
    - N/A HH
    - 0.6/2 A18-49

Don't forget!...finale this Friday + the first episode of Camelot right after!

Astonishing!...truely epic!, most amazing fight scene ever!....so Diona wasn't a throwaway character afterall, she got rounded up and executed!, Ashur.....haha!, brilliant, Crixus gave him his lame leg, Gannicus earns his freedom (to return in Vengeance), Selonius....ha!, it all makes sense now why they hate each other in Blood & Sand,

Further thoughts to come, 62 mins!...wow!....utterly superb conculsion that really excelled, wrapped up storylines and tied up plotlines within the prequel + Blood and Sand.

5/5

http://ie.tv.ign.com/articles/115/1151641p1.html

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Spartacus-Finale-Gods-Arena-1029896.aspx

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/02/26/spartacus-gods-of-the-arena-the-bitter-end-review/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

wow, after watching ep 4 and 5 I had lost faith and was weary of how the writers would put it altogether, but that was one of the best hour of television I've watched that I can remember, it's amazing what they can put on that screen when you don't have orgies happening 24/7.

Impeccable the way everything was tied up to absolute perfection in one episode.

Bring on series 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry but why did they execute the slave girl? Was she a runaway? I must have missed that part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Great finale, no massive complaints with is. I guess we'll never learn how Ashur came to be the "Go-To" guy, but I guess Batiatus knew he was somewhat reliable given the the Vettius attack and Tulius as well.
    I wasn't a massive fan of the "Let us never hear of anything that has happened in the last six episodes" line. However it was greatly redeemed with Batiatus telling Lucretia that they will get what they truely deserve; cue Batiatus and Lucretia bloodied and dying on the floor

Sorry but why did they execute the slave girl? Was she a runaway? I must have missed that part

Diona scarpered in ep. 5 with the help of Naeiva, they were besties since childhood and grew up in the Ludus. Diona got Dp'd in ep. 3 and the sh*t eating dog who took her from behind gloated and watched her die :mad:

• Advertisement

Great finale, no massive complaints with is. I guess we'll never learn how Ashur came to be the "Go-To" guy, but I guess Batiatus knew he was somewhat reliable given the the Vettius attack and Tulius as well.
    I wasn't a massive fan of the "Let us never hear of anything that has happened in the last six episodes" line. However it was greatly redeemed with Batiatus telling Lucretia that they will get what they truely deserve; cue Batiatus and Lucretia bloodied and dying on the floor

+ Steven S. DeKnight giving us the most clear/blatant hint that Lucretia did/does in fact survive...

Advertisement