Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys deface Irish flag

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

sdonn wrote: »
    As the debates over 32-county republics that just don't exist have just started, will someone please lock this bloody thread? :D

Please, it isn't about 32 county republics. It's about the Irish people who work for Currys marketing being run as stooges by the British Government. I'd love to hear how that happens :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

C-B-G wrote: »
    I know everyone is talking about it, but has it caused anyone to go in and spend some money, or at least make anyone curious about the prices?

Curry's and Dixons even in the UK have always been a rip, they're not worth bothering with IMO you can always get your gear cheaper, and often way cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Curry's and Dixons even in the UK have always been a rip, they're not worth bothering with IMO you can always get your gear cheaper, and often way cheaper elsewhere.

I've found that a lot of the higher end stuff, in the way of Tvs, Laptops, even cameras, are usually well priced when you get over a certain limit with them, its all the little things which you could pop in and pick up anywhere that seem to be stupidly overpriced.

Things like laptop bags or crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a fuss about this nationally. While I'm not up in arms about it I do think it was in poor taste given the history between the countries.

Although maybe the fact that there hasn't been national outrage at it shows just how much we've grown as a nation and really and truly moved on.!

Nice try by the Currys marketing team but sorry it ain't gonna work in this little Island!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

clearz wrote: »
    Quick everybody grab your pick axes and shovels we shall drive this evil currys from our land.

Can we? Please? And can we do the same to Harvey Norman after that?

I find the ad offensive but not in the "800 years of oppression" way -

I find it condescending that a British company would advertise using their countrys flag in our colours - essentially saying that their country and its prices are better than ours and they (out of the goodness of their hearts) are offering their countries superior prices to us for this limited time. Bollocks they are.

A lot of Irish people will have a deep rooted dislike for the union jack flag and to see it representing something Irish will be just wrong and distasteful to them. Hence I can understand the Currys employees who say they were surprised to open the packages of posters and had to ring head office to make sure it wasn't a joke before putting them up - and the employees who said they were disgusted or ashamed to hang them, while being tutted at or given incredulous looks by customers.

The posters look tacky and cheap and do little or nothing for the image of the store and I, for one, find their content and that of the related TV ad offensive. (I'm also reliably informed that the guy who did the voiceover for the TV ad really couldn't believe they were going with that image...)

I WAS in Currys yesterday (in Swords - http://twitpic.com/4ll6f & http://twitpic.com/4ll6e) and I spent €14.99 there (on a little DVI/HDMI converter) - but only because I couldn't find it anywhere else and was in a hurry. I generally avoid giving them my money.

By the way - if you have a genuine issue with this, or any other advertising campaign or gimmick, the place to go is the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland - you can even fill out a form online to make a complaint: http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp - which is a little bit more productive (apart from the obvious value of lively debate!) than starting a thread on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The way I see it, the Union Jack already has an Irish flag in it and now it's even more Irish. Hurrah! Soon we'll own all of the UK. Stealth invasions work far better than violent ones.

My only problem is that millions of years of evolution has resulted in a bunch of cretins with nothing better to do than complain about an advertisement. The Creationists must of been right after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

I personally don't have a problem with it... aww f*&k, we're still supposed to hate the Limeys aren't we, damn Brits, taking our land etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Bard wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people will have a deep rooted dislike for the union jack flag

And we call them morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Hope this was ok but i made a poll about this just to see what peoples views are.

From listening to Fm104 last night it made me think that it seemed a little one sided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557485

And we call them morons.

No, YOU call them morons. Some people don't accept that other people can have differing opinions to theirs and call them morons for doing so. Those people are the real morons.

I personally don't particularly like the Union Jack flag or what it historically symbolises. I don't like the feelings (-whether I'm right to be feeling those feelings or not) that particular flag can stir inside me.

That, however, doesn't make me a moron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

That, however, doesn't make me a moron.

No, but it makes you bitter with a misplaced sense of patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I saw it the other day, got a little irked, then went back to my thoughts about doughnuts.

No, but it makes you bitter with a misplaced sense of patriotism.

Doesn't QUITE hit the nail on the head, but definitely closer, thanks. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just saw it on RTÉ now. They're obviously in on this conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

amacachi wrote: »
    Just saw it on RTÉ now. They're obviously in on this conspiracy.

got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    got a link?

Sorry, on an ad. Cartoon guy driving a car around with the flag flying from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I generally avoid giving them my money.

????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

amacachi wrote: »
    Sorry, on an ad. Cartoon guy driving a car around with the flag flying from it.

Oh, thought you ment it was on the news.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No, YOU call them morons.

I do. That's because they are.

I'm sure that hating a flag for no good reason qualifies.

I do. That's because they are.

I'm sure that hating a flag for no good reason qualifies.

Who said anything about hating a flag?

I said I don't like the flag (am not especially fond of it's design or look) and don't like what it represents to me (evoking thoughts of Britain, it's monarchy, it's one-time empirical tendencies, and everything from it's occupation of our country to... I dunno... soccer hooligans).

Whether my reasons for disliking the flag reach your standard for "good reasons" or not don't frankly matter - Not liking the flag doesn't make me - or anyone - a moron.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bard viewpost.gif
    I generally avoid giving them my money.

????

Sorry, thought it was obvious I meant that I generally avoid spending any money in Dixons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I for one welcome our new reasonably-priced Technology overlords.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I said I don't like the flag (am not especially fond of it's design or look) ...

So it's purely for artistic reasons then, fair enough. Do you prefer it in the green, white and orange colour scheme any more or should I tell then to stick with the original choice of colours? Any pointers as to what kind of design they should go for though, there are far to many boring flags in Europe already with just three colours in either horizontal or vertical stripes and then the occasional crest of some kind stuck in the middle. There is the Nordic ones though which get a bit more interesting with the multicoloured crosses in them, but then they just go and repeat the same design too many times between all the countries again. I guess Greece is a bit more different in the design but the do only have the two colours though.

Maybe it's just because it's completely different to any other EU flag designs then and you think they should conform to the flag design standards as laid down by Brussels. We can probably get Currys to come up with a new design for the British flag if you ask them nicely enough, they clearly have a very imaginative marketing department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

not sure if Im getting this!!
    Currys uk company advertising in Ireland merge the flags??
    so
    where is the big deal?
    do u shop in tescos? debenhams?? b&q all these uk companies over here.

robinph wrote: »
    So it's purely for artistic reasons then, fair enough

No, it isn't. Read the rest of my post instead of just trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

there are far to many boring flags in Europe already with just three colours in either horizontal or vertical stripes and then the occasional crest of some kind stuck in the middle

I think this calls for a thread of efforts in MSPaint to create a new Irish flag. Extra points for bears, sharks and lasers pew pew.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No, it isn't. Read the rest of my post instead of just trying to be funny.

Nah, the rest of your post was funny though. So I chose to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Is the PS3 being sold @ the british price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Nevore wrote: »
    I think this calls for a thread of efforts in MSPaint to create a new Irish flag. Extra points for bears, sharks and lasers pew pew.

There's a European flavour and the Irish flag is eating the union jack, yekno, its patriotic and progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AnthonyK7 wrote: »
    Is the PS3 being sold @ the british price ?

Yes, it's marked down to thirty pieces of silver. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Hagar wrote: »
    Yes, it's marked down to thirty pieces of silver. ;)

Thanks Hagar
    Is that in all of their stores?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement