Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungarian dentist's in Cork -anybody use them ?

• 04-05-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Right i know there was a tread done on this before but this was a year and three months ago and here is the link :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70402378
    But i need some more up to date information -and here is my problem , i never had the best of teeth very soft etc but with the last nearly twenty years have been getting them checked up every six months with a very good lady dentist in Cork , so much so that both my sisters changed to her . Anyway i now need a crown in a back tooth as half of the heavily filled tooth has cracked and fallen off leaving the filling and the rest of the tooth .The cost of this is €750 which is a heck of a lot of money when your just after moving into a new house and money needs to be spent on that . So the Hungarian dentist clinic can do the job for €30 consultation fee -plus €380 to do the crown, so has anybody lately got work done there ? I see from the other thread that a person wasn't very happy with the lady dentist , but is that dentist could be gone now a year and three months on and another one after taking over . I am after canceling my appointment for my own dentist to start the work till i find out a bit more information .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

your own dentist probably would be happy to do the crown for 380 if you don't mind her sending it to a lab in Hungary to be constructed. Just tell her you want it made in a cheap eastern european lab to keep costs down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Ring/google around 10 practices based in Cork, find out the price of a crown in each practice. Then calculate the average cost of a crown (add up all the prices, divide by 10) in your region.
    If this new dentists' price is still a couple of hundred euros lower, despite having the same overheads(staff, rent, ect) as her colleagues practising in the same geographical reason, then you must ask yourself what gives.
    The other thing to consider is that the average lifespan of a crown is 10-15 years. That's average. Some last 2 years& some last 32 years. You have no control over the amount of tooth that's now left in your mouth, but what you have control over is the quality or "spec" of crown that's placed over it. You don't need to go with the most expensive, but neither should you opt for the cheapest (it's the Pennys/Clarks/Grenson shoe analogy....cost Vs value)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

too cheap for a quality job OP. My lab charges me more than their entire fee for a crown. So either its a totally rubbish crown done without attention to detail or they will sell you a bunch of other unnecessary treatment. Some things are just not cheap, one of them is quality dental work. Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

mod edit

I have no idea of the quality of their work but thought you would be interested in this article OP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

You'll also be relieved to read on their website that they guarantee their crowns for 3 years

• Advertisement

Dianthus wrote: »
    You'll also be relieved to read on their website that they guarantee their crowns for 3 years

How does that compare to other guarantees for similar work?

Dianthus wrote: »
    The other thing to consider is that the average lifespan of a crown is 10-15 years
    All other things being equal, and with all the same disclaimers as the Hungarian website outlined under the guarantee section, I'd imagine most dentists would aim for their crown to reach the average documented lifespan.

Sorry chuck had to edit your post as it was a bit too identifing.

Sorry chuck had to edit your post

Edit my post? That's like saying you did a little work on a tooth but in reality extracted it.
    as it was a bit too identifing.

It's really rather unusual that you delete my post for identifying a practice that is the subject of the thread. It was not I who identified the practice - the thread is about the practice.

Someone of a cynical disposition might imagine that a cautionary post about the practice such as this one* being allowed to remain while an information based post, such as mine, being removed exposes an ulterior motive on the part of the complainant(s) or mods of this forum.

Unusual indeed.

*A one off post by a newly registered account that never returned.

Chuck you will notice the linked post is not on the dental issues forum. That forum run their own charter, and it up to the mods there to spot shills and protect the integrity of their forum, posts like the one in the OP link and yours would not be allowed here. Check the simple stuff before going paranoid there. Unless you think myself and the cork city mods have been in cahoots planning something for over a year and sitting on it until now only to be foiled by your detective work at the last minute ;).

Any argument over forum policy is not allowed. Finding reccomendations for a dentist is no more a dental issue than finding a doctor is a medical problem. Any recommendations of discussion can be handled by PM with the OP.

• Advertisement

Chuck you will notice the linked post is not on the dental issues forum.

Fair catch. Didn't spot that it was in another forum.

Regardless, the thrust of my post remains.

The OP had a question about a practice that was easily identified by the OP itself. I simply posted some of an article that was published about the practice as a possible counterbalance to the doom-saying.

I've forwarded a link to the article by PM by request from the OP anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I recently used one of the Hungarian dentists in Cork on the recommendation of a friend who had been there .
    I was a bit apprehensive at first ,especially due to all the scaremongering so prevalent on this forum .

The dentist was very friendly ,spoke excellent english ,is highly qualified ( I googled him beforehand) and he explained everything to me.
    Appointments were scheduled at good times for me and I was taken on time .
    The treatment was split over 3 visits and the dentist was very thorough in his work ,he spent a long time on the tooth .
    I had 2 follow up checks included in the work to make sure it was ok at no extra charge.
    He also said if I was in any pain I could contact his colleague .

I cannot fault the guy ,he never once mentioned any other work I would need on other teeth,no spoofing or hard sells.

Remember zardoz you need a crown on that root canal now, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Remember zardoz you need a crown on that root canal now, best of luck
    Yes ,I do ,it will be going on soon ,I was actually in for the prep today .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Well i booked an appointment last week for yesterday and the story isn't so good . I had a female dentist and when she looked at the tooth she was worries that there wasn't enough tooth left to hold the crown , but she would know more after taking out the filling . Now i was always worried about this as i knew there wasnt much tooth left as it was originally heavily filled plus with half it cracking and breaking off . Anyway after reemoving the filling she took an x-ray and to be fair she called another male dentist to have a look at it for another opinion (x-ray and tooth) and they came up with the opinion that with so little tooth left that yes maybe it could be crowned but that it might only last a few years and end up getting it bridged ,so it would be better to extract it and bridge it . So also as i have another tooth missing beside it get a 'four way bridge' or else get one 'implant' but seeing as the implant is nearly the same price as the the bridging im better off going for the bridging as i will gain another tooth .How long would a bridge last i wonder ???
    Anyway i think that im better off to go back to my original dentist -even though i never said i was going for the cheaper option and also asking her what does she think ?? This could be a bit awkward but i feel that it has to be for my own peace of mind . I cant honestly say anything bad about the dentists yesterday - yes it is a bit different when there is someone new at your teeth because of the fact that i have has the same dentist for the last 20 odd years .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Get an implant.

I'm sure one of the dentists will confirm that an implant is always better than a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Get an implant.

I'm sure one of the dentists will confirm that an implant is always better than a bridge.
    Why so ? what are the differences between the two ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Why so ? what are the differences between the two ?

A bridge is used to replace a missing tooth or teeth and supports this prosthetic tooth/teeth by using the adjacent natural teeth.
    The bridge can use little "wings" to stick to these adjactent or more likely in your case the adjacent teeth will need to be prepared like a crown preparation to accept the bridge (see photo)
    206415.jpg
    A bridge is fixed in place. Life span depends on the state of the spuupoting teeth, the way that the teeth were prepared, the quality of the labwork etc etc. Expect to get 10-15 years out of a good bridge (but much less if bad).
    Downsides; you need to prepare adjacent teeth thereby compromising them somewhat. There is a gap under the fake tooth that may trap food, you cant floss...

An implant is a titanium screw that is placed in the jaw bone. After a period of healing, a crown is screwed or cemented on top.
    Pros; it usually looks better, you dont need to touch adjacent teeth, you can floss, more cleansable, the screw should last a lifetime the crown may last 15-20 years.... Re doing the crown is usually a simple case of repacing screws and labwork..
    cons; it involves a surgery (usually minor), not everyone is suitable, local anatomy may make things difficult, nerves in the lower jaw, the sinus in the upper jaw....
    more expensive initially (but likely a lower cost per year than a bridge)...
    (see pic)
    implant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Dude go see a proper dentist & get an orthodontic band & filling on the tooth. Cheap & cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Dude go see a proper dentist & get an orthodontic band & filling on the tooth. Cheap & cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Get an implant.

There are lots of cases where a bridge might make more sense than an implant, however every case is different

Advertisement