Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G/HSPA Routers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

I've decided to take a punt on the Sapido 1733. Will be happy to post details once it is received and trialed! Including shipping, it comes in at €72.

2.jpg

I know another user here posted earlier that they have the Sapido RB1132 and is extremely happy with it. Works with the E122 which is what I have.

I have a quick question though for anyone who may know - it comes with the US plug, so I will need an adapter. Does anyone know whether this one is suitable? This is the router spec - Power : AC in 100~240V, DC out 12V 1A

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jdeacon82

can anyone give me a definite answer on the TP-Link TL-MR3420 with e122 modem is it compatible have read so many conflicting reviews i am in the market for a good router in the 50euro range any opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

jdeacon82 wrote: »
    can anyone give me a definite answer on the TP-Link TL-MR3420 with e122 modem is it compatible have read so many conflicting reviews i am in the market for a good router in the 50euro range any opinions

If you google TP-Link TL-MR3420 modem compatability list you'll find this compatability list and the e122 is found in several locations there incuding under "Other locations", because Ireland is not specifically mentioned then you'll need to know the APN and any other necessary connection details (often just the dial string which is the same for everyone in Ireland *99#).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Just got a Tp-Link TL-MR3220 but for the life of me I have no idea how to hook it up.

I connected it to the laptop and dongle in the back of the router but no internet.

Can anyone help please

Dunny! wrote: »
    Just got a Tp-Link TL-MR3220 but for the life of me I have no idea how to hook it up.

I connected it to the laptop and dongle in the back of the router but no internet.

Can anyone help please

All you need is the APN, Dial Number and any password to get it to work.

Who are you with and what dongle are you useing.

Can you even get to the home page for the web config of the router?

I posted a screen shot of the settings for 3 here in another thread at the bottom of the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

hi,i use a huawei k3520 on vodafone for my broadband and was looking for a compatible wireless router to get wifi in my home.

any suggestions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sure Thing

@Natlor

For your modem I think you would find something like the following suitable:

Edimax 3G-6200N nLite Wireless 802.11n 3G Broadband - £32 approx

Easy to set up and decent signal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

thanks for your suggestion,looks like it will do the job,will give that a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Would the vodafone sharing dock be any good, I have the 3g dongle at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Ok I'm very confused!

I currently have the Meteor Mobile Hotspot and I get speeds of roughly 4 mb using it.

However, one of the main problems I have with it is that the battery doesn't last very long.

Ideally I'd like to get a router - that can be connected to the mains and I can connect via wi-fi......

I'd like a stronger antenna as well.

• Advertisement

Shane732 wrote: »
    Ok I'm very confused!

I currently have the Meteor Mobile Hotspot and I get speeds of roughly 4 mb using it.

However, one of the main problems I have with it is that the battery doesn't last very long.

Ideally I'd like to get a router - that can be connected to the mains and I can connect via wi-fi......

I'd like a stronger antenna as well.

You really don't have much of an upgrade path from a Mobile Hotspot, best bet would be to get a decent dongle and then a cheap 3G WiFi router, you should be able to do the lot for a good bit less than 100euro.

Antennas really aren't all they are cracked up to be, once you can get a signal the biggest issue is competition with other users and there's nothing you can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Using the emobile e173 with the TP-Link MR3220.

My issue is that I have to keep disconnecting the wireless network and reconnecting as the internet connection is just lost. Have to keep doing it every 5-10 minutes?

Using the emobile e173 with the TP-Link MR3220.

My issue is that I have to keep disconnecting the wireless network and reconnecting as the internet connection is just lost. Have to keep doing it every 5-10 minutes?

Disconecting the wireless network where? If what you are doing doesn't restart the the router then the problem isn't anything to do with the e173 or its connection to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

DID were doing 3G/Cable modems for €45. TL MR3420

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-MR3420

I'm using it with my UPC at the moment. Not sure how do configure it for my Meteor 3G dongle. I suspect the default settings in it for meteor are out of date.

What are the Meteor 3G details for
    Dial no
    APN
    Username
    Password

BostonB wrote: »
    DID were doing 3G/Cable modems for €45. TL MR3420

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-MR3420

I'm using it with my UPC at the moment. Not sure how do configure it for my Meteor 3G dongle. I suspect the default settings in it for meteor are out of date.

What are the Meteor 3G details for
    Dial no
    APN
    Username
    Password

afaik

*99#
    broadband.mymeteor.ie

and no Username or Password

but if anyone wants to correct me that fine by me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Ok it was a configuration issue I think. I prematurely put the USB modem in. I reset the router and followed steps from a different thread. Haven't disconnected, yet.

The reason I'm testing it out is because my store is going to be selling them, so need to make sure it's a stable connection first. The quick start guide is a bit iffy, tells you to plug in the USB modem straight away. If you set all the APN's first etc then plug it in and reboot you seem to get a stable connection from it.

EDIT:

Take that back. Basically after about 5-10 minutes either the connection just doesn't work or my Wireless Connection comes up with no internet access? It was more stable though until it disconnected. As I said to fix it, all I did was disconnect from the wireless network and reconnected. Can't work out where the problem lies.

Ok it was a configuration issue I think. I prematurely put the USB modem in. I reset the router and followed steps from a different thread. Haven't disconnected, yet.

The reason I'm testing it out is because my store is going to be selling them, so need to make sure it's a stable connection first. The quick start guide is a bit iffy, tells you to plug in the USB modem straight away. If you set all the APN's first etc then plug it in and reboot you seem to get a stable connection from it.

If you read the instructions or followed a wizard then thats where you went wrong :P

That router doesn't have all the settings necessary for Ireland so easier to do it manually and there is at least one new dongle thats not supported.

EDIT:

Take that back. Basically after about 5-10 minutes either the connection just doesn't work or my Wireless Connection comes up with no internet access? It was more stable though until it disconnected. As I said to fix it, all I did was disconnect from the wireless network and reconnected. Can't work out where the problem lies.

Then stop using the wireless :rolleyes: and see if the wireless is the issue.

If it is do the normal WiFi trouble shooting stuff.

All you need is the APN, Dial Number and any password to get it to work.

Who are you with and what dongle are you useing.

Can you even get to the home page for the web config of the router?

I posted a screen shot of the settings for 3 here in another thread at the bottom of the page.

It's a vodafone K3765

I decided to try again later. Will report back.

I dunno what the APN, Dial Number or pass/username is (sorry)

How do i find these out? thanks

For vodafone, the last TL MR3420 and a K3765 I set up worked with just the APN hs.vodafone.ie, dial no *99# and setting up the wireless with a WPA2 key. Set it up about 3 months ago for a mate and its worked with nothing more than the occasional power off/on reboot since. If the dongle itself crashes then with most 3G routers you can only get back online by powering the dongle on and off and its just as easy to switch the router off and back on at the power switch. I have my edimax 3G router set up with a remote control power switch (from Lidl) as the plug isn't easy to get to.

• Advertisement

Thanks, would this be the same with the TL-MR3220?

Just reading the manual for it here, do I need a dsl or broadband connection?? All I have is the dongle?

Im at a loss, anytime I try hook it up with the laptop i get the no internet access logo warning-general-2.gif

The dongle flashes blue but i cant get it to connect :(

Thanks, would this be the same with the TL-MR3220?

They are all the same afaik.

But your giving nothing like enough info to see what your problem is.

When you log in to the router the first page you see is a page that gives you a summary of whats going on on the router (status) and somewhere on that page it tells you if you are connected or not how are you connecting to the router it also tells you if it recognises the dongle and the signal strength. btw forget the EFing wizards all you configuer is the 3G connection and the wireless connection, the router can also use a fixed line broadband connectoin via the WAN port but just forget that you don't have it so your just configuring the 3G bit.

How do i log into the router?

I connect it to the laptop via ethernet cable, lights come on and are working according to the manual. I dunno what info you need like?

How do i log into the router?

I connect it to the laptop via ethernet cable, lights come on and are working according to the manual. I dunno what info you need like?

I can't remember the IP address the router uses just check whatever your default gateway is from an IPCONFIG command from the CMD> promt.

Then open a browser and type that IP into the address bar and press return try 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Anyone know of any 3g routers apart from the huawei b260a that you can put the sim in instead of a dongle via usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hi there,

I have a three.ie 3g modem (Huawei E585) and I want to connect it to TpLink TL-3220.

When I connect one to the other it doesn't work automatically so i go into settings on the TPLink and click on 3G but it only gives me three options - vodafone, O2 and Meteor....
    There is a section to enter details myself for the APN but I don't know what to write, could anyone help me out please?

I tried writing a few things but none would work....

Thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

mystic86 wrote: »

I have a three.ie 3g modem (Huawei E585) and I want to connect it to TpLink TL-3220.

Bit late to tell you this but that E585 is a MiFi device and not supported when used as a dongle with any 3G router I know of its not on the list of supported dongles for the TL-3220. Just get another dongle but check its supported first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Get the Huawei E353 instead. It's a great modem, inexpensive, has an external antenna connector (rare for USB 3G modems) and best of all supports 21Mbps. I can confirm it works great with the TP-Link routers.

Advertisement