Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY FITNESS LOG!

• 04-03-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Current measurements

Height: 183cm, 6 foot
    Weight: 82kg, 180lbs (us)

Neck: 42cm, 16.5inches
    Shoulders 126cm, 49.5inches
    Chest: 106cm, 42inches
    Arms: 38cm, 15inches
    Waist: 77cm, 30inches
    Hips: 96cm, 38inches
    Thigh 57cm, 22.5inches
    Calf 37cm, 14.5inches

Inside leg: 81cm
    Shoe: 10

Body fat: 10%-5%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Colm Moran

How I got started bodybuilding/working out

I hit the gym with my friends when I turned 16 to put on weight because I was unhappy with how thin I was. I played a lot of sport as a kid, swimming, soccer, football, athletics etc. but I always felt thin, basically because my father and younger brother are naturally MASSIVE!! My younger bro at 18 was 6’2’’ and approx. 100kg (220lbs) without lifting a single weight! And trust me there wasn’t that much fat on him. I, the older brother, felt weak and uncomfortable in my body because of him. So I picked up them ****ing weights and did something about it!

Why I love bodybuilding/working out

The main reason for my passion for bodybuilding or fitness is my obsession with personal growth. Continuously seeing my body develop and get stronger is a huge self-esteem booster for me and the lowest points in my life have been when all that hard work has been taken away by illness. We all know it is great for stress relief and it helps a whole lot with sport, which is great, but for me it is so much more than that. It is a continues endeavour to better oneself. I am not competing against you or him or her, I can competing against myself, pushing myself, testing myself to see what I, am made of!

Studying: Physiotherapy

Sporting history:
    Played football hurling, soccer, swimming etc when in was young.
    I went on to focus on football and track and field in secondary school, that then changed to rugby in my final years in school.
    I played a small bit of rugby after that but eventually went back to playing football.
    Throughout my years in secondary school I would workout a lot by myself almost as a meditative thing, not necessarily for sport. I found the gym and a set of dumbbells at 16 and have been hooked since.

I'm currently playing senior club football.

This is an entry into an older log I so I just copied it in there to give you an idea of some of my training regimens
    Training
    May 5, 2011
    , 5:06AM

At the moment i am doing 3-4 sessions a week in the gym lifting heavy and 2-3 sessions a week on the field at football training which is always intense cardio and 1 more cardio sessions myself.

I was previously doing isolated training at the gym. Day 1: Chest back, Day 2: Legs Day 3: shoulders and arms. However the leg day basically rendered me immobile if i had any football training in the next couple of days so i had to change it up.

Now im doing full body session ever day. Its basically doin as follows: Starting with a compound exercise and moving down to issolated exercises. what i decide to go on the day is based on what i did the last day, how my muscles are feeling and my football training schedual. For example i will never do the same exercises on two consecutive days and i will avoid heavy leg workouts if i have a match in the coming days.

An example:
    Day 1: Cleans 4x8 (75kg),

Shoulder press 3x8 (50kg),

Dumbbell press 3x8 (37.5kg) (SS with) Dumbbell row 3x8 (46kg),

Bicep curls, Tricep pulldowns.

Finish up with core (hanging leg extensions).

Normally would work hamstrings and quads on a machine but i had training the following day.

Day 2: On field Training, heavy intense cardio.

GYM: Incline shoulder press 3x8 (35kg),

Lat pulldown 3x8 (175lbs) {change between close grip and wide grip every few weeks} (SS) machine barbell rows 3x6 (30kg),

Front Lat Pos dumbell raises (Delts) 3x8 (12, 10kg),

Hammer curls 3x8 (20kg) Core

Day 3: Deadlift, Leg press, Dips (SS) Shrugs, 21s (SS) Skull crushes (SS) Close grip press Core Day 4: At home Workout with boxing bag Core work and Body weight exercises.

On a rest day ill normally do light cardio, pool session or kick around

I will swap in and out between daelift, squat, cleans etc. At the moment im finding that deep squats 3x8 (110kg) may be stiffening my hips (tendonosis in my quad/bursa)which isnt helping with football training. Stretching helps. Might do a different form of squat or not go as low.

Current Training Program

I work off a 4 day split

Day 1 Bench

Warm up with bar,
    Bench 3 sets of power lifting. So i will do something like 70% 1RM x 3, 80% 1RM x 3, 90% 1RM for as many the first two are a build up to the last set where I try set a new PB.

Bench 5 sets 10 reps. Striping. strict 60-90 sec rest.

Wide Grip Pull Ups supersetted with Dips
    3x10-15

Decline Dumbell Flys into Press 3x10 (I do as many flys as possible then squeeze out some presses)

Dumbell Curls 3x10 (On 45degree bench)

Day 2: Deadlift

Warm up with bar and light weight,
    Deadlift 3 sets of power lifting. So i will do something like 70% 1RM x 3, 80% 1RM x 3, 90% 1RM for as many the first two are a build up to the last set where I try set a new PB.

Deadlift 5 sets 10 reps. Striping. strict 60-90 sec rest.

Glute Ham Raises 3x10-15

Pullovers 2x10 (on flat bench to tire out lats for next exercise)

Narrow Grip Pull Ups 3x10

EZ bar curls 3x10 with pronated (palms down) grip. this focuses on the forearms and helps improve rip strength

Day 3: Military Press

Warm up with bar,
    Military press 3 sets of power lifting. So i will do something like 70% 1RM x 3, 80% 1RM x 3, 90% 1RM for as many the first two are a build up to the last set where I try set a new PB.

Military Press 5 sets 10 reps. Striping. strict 60-90 sec rest.

Shrugs supersetted with Rear Delt Raises 3x10 (NB focusing on the rear delts and TRAPS)

Raises 3x10 (in scapular plane, in between lat and front raises)

Barbell Curls 3x10 or Tricep pulldowns 3x10

Day 4: Squat

Warm up with bar and light weight,
    Squat 3 sets of power lifting. So i will do something like 70% 1RM x 3, 80% 1RM x 3, 90% 1RM for as many the first two are a build up to the last set where I try set a new PB.

Squat 5 sets 10 reps. Striping. strict 60-90 sec rest.

Leg press 5x10. (Alternate medium and high foot placement)

Lunges 3x10

Calf Raises 3x10

I currently have a tendonsis problem in one of my hip flexors (sartorious or rec fem, possibly a bursa or tendonosis in iliopsoas) so i have to change up my squat day and eliminate deep hip flexion. So now it looks more like
    Hack Squat 5x10
    Leg Curls superseted with Leg Extensions 3x10 (leg extensions are done eccentrically due to tendinosis)
    Calf Raises 3x10
    Lateral Leg raises (targeting glute med)

Approximate predicted 1 RM
    Bench: 110KG
    Deadlift: 180KG
    Military Press: 75Kg
    Squat: 170Kg

• Advertisement

600.jpg

Gym attire

Any handy pair if shorts, usually ones with pockets
    Any old t shirt or jersey
    iPod and headphones
    Converse

No belt
    No straps
    No running shoes

All belts and straps do is support weak muscle areas. If you wear a belt and wrist straps all the time you are essentially taking your wrists and lower back out of the equation. There purpose is to prevent injury and help with your lift. However by taking the strain off these areas you are not training them to get stronger. The only time you should use wrist straps is when your grip gives out before your motion i.e.. Deadlift. if this does happen you know you need to train your grip strength!

Running shoes provide a lot of padding. So imagine you are trying to produce a lot of force in a lift, like a squat, or jump as high as you can. Would you jump higher standing on a concrete floor or standing on a bouncy castle? You see the cushioning of the shoe absorbes some of the force you produce thus lowering the weight you can lift. Also because you are so cushioned you are more likly to roll over on your ankle, this is bad. I don't own a pair of running shoes. I run in my cons!

Just out of the gym. Leg day.

I'm avoiding deep hip flexion due to injury.

Hack squat. 90x5, 110x5, 130x 3
    110x10, 110x 10, 110x10, 100x10, 90x 14

Leg extensions (64lbs)with leg curls (145lbs)
    3 sets 10-12 reps

Standing lunges 3x10 each leg with 12kg DBs in each hand

Calf raises. Warm up
    210lbs 3sets 12reps

Glute ham raises
    3 sets 15 reps, start with 10kg in hand then drop it to do mire reps

Stretching at the end
    30secs twice on each muscle group
    And lateral footraises (glute min) with groin sretch

Football training tonight,

We are focusing on conditioning at this stage so we did a lot of sprints.
    The session started with stretching and a thorough warm up
    followed by a lot of sprints.
    Hand passing drills and kicking drills followed.
    We then played a bit of a match and
    finished off with more sprints.
    Some core work, planking, was done before the final stretch.

Got a rub before and after training which helped a bit. Legs were heavy after leg day yesterday but not as bad as I thought they would be. Chest was burning. I haven't done too much cardio in the last 2 weeks because I'm trying to rest my hip. My concentration was good. Chest day tomorrow.

I did this yesterday.

Warm up; Bar, 50kgx5
    Power set: 77.5kgx5, 87.5kgx3, 97.5kgx2
    Hypertrophy set: 77.5x10, 70x10, 65x10, 60x14, 60x12 all with a strict 1 minute break; i ended up taking about 3 mins off before my first 60kg lift hence 14 reps.

wide grip pull ups; 15xbw, 10xbw, 8xbw
    superseted with
    dips; 15xbw, 10xbw, 8xbw. all to fail with little to no rest between

decline dumbell flys into presses; 14kgx10 flys + 8 presses, 14x10flys + 6 presses, 14kgx8 flys + 4 presses.
    Superseted with
    dumbell curls; 14kgx 10, 14kgx10, 14kgx6 dropped to 8kgx6 db curls are done on an incline bench at 45degs, get a good squeeze at the top bringing your pinkie to the outside of your shoulder, no swinging.

1 hour in the gym

• Advertisement

1. Porridge/Oatmeal...

Mornings, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, for as long as i can remember. Ill have about 120g with a pile of honey for some extra cals.

2. Chicken Stir Fry/Curry and RICE!

I will cook 700g of basmatti rice in the morning and have it all eaten by the end of the day.Ill cook a bit stir fry with loads of veg and 10 small chicken breasts. This usually lasts 2 days.

3. Potatoes and Steak/Roast Chicken dinner

Potatoes are a mix or sweet potatoes and good all irish potatoes. Ill have lots of carrots and broccoli with this. We like to juice the carrots and add it to the gravy, its a nice tasty trick

Had a match today. We last by a point. 2-15 to 2-14. Played the last 20-25 mins. Hip only niggled a bit so it seems well rested. Did about an hour of stretching last night. Stretched eery muscle group for 30 secs twice then repeated it about an hour later. One thing I need to work on is my lactic acid recycling. So I might do all out sprints with 30-60 secs rest in between. This will build up lactic acid In my legs and as a result my body will become better at recycling/oxidizing the lactic acid. Ankle strength for turning might need to be looked at as well.

I did this yesterday after the march.

I had 50g of glucose in the 2 hours after the match, i had another 50g of glucose spread between pre, during and post workout. I went to the gym about 5 hours after the game, this gave me time to get some meals in.

Deadlift
    Warm up 60kg, 90kg.
    Working set: 130kgx5, 145kgx3, 160kgx2.
    I found that my grip strength was seriously lacking here especially on the 160. This is something I need to address with wraps, grip type or strengthening. I used a reverse bucket handle grip. I changed this to a reverse crush grip for the hypertrophy set and found I helpful.
    Hypertrophy set: 130x10, 120x10, 110x8, 90x10,
    I only did 4 set of hypertrophy because I found my firm was breaking and I was putting too much pressure in my lower back. Fatigue played a big part in firm breakdown.

Barbell row: 60kgx14, 60kgx14, 60kgx12

Pull ups underhand 15xbw, 10xbw, 6xbw
    Superseded with
    Db row 35kgx10, 25kgx10, 18kgx10 (db is pulled back to the hip, lats)

Machine row
    3sets of 10-14.
    Done to failure. I can't remember the weight I used
    NB use the horizontal grip and keep the elbows high. His focuses on the mid traps and avoids the lats. Focus on a squeeze at the top and the weight u use become les important.

Tricep rope pulldowns
    3sets of 10-14
    Done to failure. Content remember the weight ere either. I did on drop set after on 10lbs. Pull the rope down and out to the hips to focus on the lateral head of triceps, this is a muscle I want to develop.
    Drop set straight after 3rd set.

1 hour in the gym. 60sec rest between sets.

Shoulders and arms today.

Military press:
    warm up with bar
    power set: 50x5, 57.5x3, 65x4 (3 min break in between to allow creatine phosphate 'recharging')
    hypertrophy set: 55x10, 50x10, 45x10, 40x10, 40x8 (60 sec break)

Dips: 10-12reps 3 sets
    Superseted with
    rear delt flys: 10-12reps 3 sets 14kg, (squeeze the middle traps at the top keeping arms perpendicular to the trunk )

Smith machine shrugs. 20 kg each side, 3x10.

EZ bar curls 42.5kg 3x10
    superseted with
    EZ bar Tricep pullovers 42.5kg 3x10
    The EZ bar weighs 12.5kg. The last few reps on the curls are done with some facilitation via body rocking at the bottom, but nothing rediculous.

Curls at top of range, 1 set of 6 reps.
    isometric, forget there name.

reverse grip (pronated) barbell curls 3x12-16. Focusing on hitting the forearms

warm up
    12 mins intense crosstrainer
    30 sec on, 30 sec off.
    warm down on the way out of the gym.
    CAraio was supposed to be 20 mins but the gymn was closing so they kicked us out. Just as well cos we were dying!

Did this tuesday

Hack squat
    Warm up with bar and light weight
    Power: 90x8, 110x5, 130x3
    Hypertrophy: 100kgx10, 100kgx10, 100kgx10, 90kgx10, 90kgx14
    60sec break between sets

Leg extensions: 3x10-14 74lbs, into drop set on the last set
    Supersetted with
    Leg curls: 3x10-14 130lbs, into drop set on the last set.

Static lunges. 3x10 with 218kg dbs

Calf raises:
    Warm up
    3x10-14, 210lbs

Seated calf raises:
    3x10-14, 40kg

Finish up with some squat jumps

Played a rugby league tournament. 90 mins in total.
    Drank a lot of glucose (needed).
    Rub at 530, tight soleous and gastric on the lateral side. L vastus laterals tender. Ankles need strengthening.
    Training until 730. Had very little explosion but maintained paise. Legs didn't feel too heavy.
    I must stretch today.

For the next 4 sessions in the gym I am doing lighter speed work. This is to give my body a rest and prevent overtraining.

Bench Press,
    Warm up
    Bench 40kgx5, 50kgx5, 60kgx10
    5 sets of 3 reps with 60kg, 30 second rest, do the 3 reps as fast as possible

Deep push ups on boxes, go down deep to stretch the pecs.

dips
    3 sets of 5

push ups on medicine ball
    3x10

cable cross overs,
    3x10

Im using this down time in the gym to target forearms,
    This is the only part where i lift heavy.

ez bar curls, PALMS DOWN 3x10
    supersetted with
    dumbell wrist curls, PALMS DOWN

hammer curls
    supersetted with
    tricep rope pull downs

Deadlift
    Warm up, 60kgx10
    80kgx5, 100x5, 120x5

cleans
    40kg warm up
    3 reps, 5 sets, 60kg. 30 sec rest- speed set

dumbell rows
    3x10, 25kg

Again im focusing on forearms, esp the extensor group.

darbell curls palms down
    3x10

ez bar curls
    sepersetted with
    ez bar overhead pullovers

quick stretch

10 mins on the cross trainer, 30 secs on 30 secs off

More or less slept off Paddys weekend and did nothing till the Tuesday. Had a team run out for a rugby league tournament Tuesday evening.

Jumped on the bus at 730 and headed for Belfast for a provincial rugby league tournament. We collected the Leinster team on the way. Kinda weird having an opposing team on your own bus.

Scores were
    Ulster 38-0 Leinster
    Ulster 20-18 Munster (robbed)
    Munster 32-4 Leinster

5 hours to get there, two games, 20 mins a half and after all that our kind sponsors gave me 1, yes 1, slice of pizza!

Good craic all the same. Bit sore after tho.

http://www.rli.ie/article/ulster-crowned-student-interpro-champions.html

• Advertisement

Again this was a light session to give my muscles a break and prevent over training.

Another light session,

Light squats and plyometrics. I also did some strengthening of my everters (muscles lateral to your shin bone) to strengthen my ankles. I have gone over on both my ankles so my lateral collateral ligaments are gone hence a need for strengthening the surrounding muscles. I used a terra band.

Football match

Here is my bench "progression" over the last 3 months.

Month 1
    82.5kg x 7
    87.5kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    Rest week (light bench)

Month 2
    85kg x 9
    90kg x 5
    95kg x 3
    Rest week

Month 3
    85kg x 8
    92.5 x 3
    97.5 x 2
    Rest week

Month 4
    90kg x 4

And this is where I am now. So basically I was stronger on month 1.
    Over those 3 months I had been using the program in 5/3/1 raw strength training. Even tho the title suggests 'strength' the program itself is hypertrophy based. 5 sets of 10 reps is advised with no work to failure. It has obviously been detrimental to my strength gains. The same can be said to my other lifts. Previous to this program I was on a work to fail on nearly every set, 5-8 reps rarer than 10 and a little more rest between sets. Don't get me wrong it's good to experiment with different programs because everyone will respond differently to different programs. I feel this one just wasn't good for me.

So I'm changing it up.

I'm going to keep the same initial sets that are outlined in the 5/3/1 program but from there I am going to do heavier weights and less reps.

This is what sunday looked like

Warm up bench
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 4... I should have at least got 5!!! God I was pissed after that.

Change it up.

Bench 3sets 6-10 80kg
    Incline bench 3 sets 6-10 50kg

Pushups to fail
    Supperseted with
    Flys to fail
    Supperseted with
    Presses to fail
    (flys and presses are done lying on the ground with 12kg)
    No rest between supersets, 3 sets.

Ez bar curls, 3x8-10 (15kg each side)
    Superseded with
    Db triceps extensions, 3x8-10

Pronated barbell curls
    Superseted with
    Db palms down wrist curls.

Core
    30 crunches
    20 side crunches each side
    30 crunches

Deadlift
    Warm up 60kg
    112.5kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5

barbell row
    70kgx12
    80kgx12
    90kgx8

lat pulldown superseted with machine row (horizontal grip, elbows high to hit traps)
    145lbsx10, 59lbsx10
    160lbsx8, 73lbsx8
    160lbsx8, 73lbsx8

Hammer curls superseted with db rows
    15kgx10, 28kgx10
    18kgx10, 28kgx10
    18kgx10, 35kgx8

Wednesday
    Gym in the morning, training in the evening.

military press
    57.5x7
    52.5x8 3 sets
    50x8

Dips; 1 chain 8x3, 20 no chain
    superseted with
    back flys; 12kg 8x2, 10kg 10, 10 reps on machine.

Shrugs
    35x8x3

Concentrated curls
    14kgx12, 16kx8,
    16kgx4, 14kgx4, 12kgx2, 6kgx5, 5 flexes.

Training,

1hour and 20mins of sprints!!! HORRIBLE!

League match.

Wing forward for 3/4 of the game, corner back for the rest.

1 point from play, no score for marker.

First time i have done squats in a few months.

Warm up with bar and 60kg
    90x5
    105x5
    120x4 (limiting pain in my left inguinal area, possibly trans abs that were stabilizing the lift, same spot i injured during the rugby league match)
    110x4 (pain continued so i decided to switch it up)

front squats
    60kgx10
    70kgx10
    75kgx8
    75kgx7

lunges
    40kg barbell , 10 each leg x 3 sets
    superseted with
    lateral leg raises (like a ballet dancer)

calf raises
    warm up
    270lbs 12x3

Monday

Deadlift
    Warm up
    120x3
    137.5x3
    155x3
    140x4
    140x4
    135x5

Barbell row:
    Back at 45' tothe ground, pulling the bar parallel to thighs with elbows in.
    90x10
    90x8
    90x8
    Superseted with
    Back parallel to ground, pulling the bar up to chest with elbows out.
    60x10
    60x8
    60x8

Wide grip pull ups
    12xbw
    10xbw
    6xbw
    Machine pull downs

Machine pull, horizontal grip with elbows high
    73lbsx10
    73lbsx8
    73lbsx8

• Advertisement

Drill 1 sprint and side movement.
    Start at cone A. Sprint 10m (cone B). Shuffle right 10m (cone C) then shuffle back left 10m, turn and sprint back to starting point.
    Jog to cone c.
    Start at cone C and do the same as about for a total of 6
    No rest in between

Drill 2 solo.
    20mx10 shuttle jog with a football soloing left foot on the way up, right foot on the way down. Sharp turn every time.

Repeat drill 1

Repeat drill 2

Drill 3 pick and turn
    Set up a square of cones with one in the middle. Place the ball in the middle cone. Run from the starting cone and pick the ball off the ground with your right leg, go around the middle cone with ball secured, solo to the cone to the left. Solo back to the middle, drop the ball while going around the middle cone to the left. Repeat until you have gone around the grid twice. Then do the opposite way. Do this 3 times each way. You are always picking the ball up on the leg furthest from the middle cone (imagining that that cone is a opposing player).

Drill 4 jump catch sprint.
    Throw the ball up. Jump up and catch it. Then drop the ball and sprint 20m. If you mess up the catch your sprint doesn't count but you have to do it anyway. Do 6 sprints.

Repeat drill 3

Drill 5 shuttles
    Three incraments, 10 feet, 20 feet and 25 feet.
    0 is the start position
    Sprint
    0-10 and back
    0-20 and back
    0-25 and back
    0-25 and back
    0-20 and back
    0-10 and back

The break between sets is counted in breaths. A breath in is 1, a breath out is another 1... 60 in total, so tale some slow deep breaths.

6 sets in total if your mad enough...

Cool down jog with ball

Stretch every lower body muscle twice with a 30 second hold. This takes at least 15 mins.

Over all session lasted an hour. Did it in the back garden in boots.

Advertisement