Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

deelite wrote: »
    Which raises the question what ever happened to "The Haven" - did that have a gym?

Ya i remember a few years back everyone used to spend half their time in there with their gear bags, bottles of water etc. We never actually saw inside just them coming and going!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FionnB

deelite wrote: »
    Which raises the question what ever happened to "The Haven" - did that have a gym?

It was turned into the Community Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Barry was the editor of a paper, now he's in charge of a newsletter and yet he types with only two fingers?
    That's believable :rolleyes:

I thought the very same, after all his years in the "industry" he still types like that! God knows how long it took him to do up Sarah's emails and facebook updates!
    max life wrote: »
    Why were five people giving out the newsletter beside each other outside Vinos??? Surely it would make more sense to spread out over the whole of Carrigstown?

Agreed, I know carrigstown is small but just covering vinos for the newsletter was a joke. What about the park or the street across from vinos where the Halpins etc, live ?
    C-J wrote: »
    Anyone else think the upcoming storylines will make things a little bit more interesting around here!

I agree, I think it should heat up nicely, here and on tv. I think because different writers seems to write the different episodes it leads to these dull periods, Need to take note of the good writers! Also explains why storylines jump here and there and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I think C-J raises some valid points. For instance, I ain't going to mention any names but there's a certain nurse working for a certain doctor who's quite a bit overweight to be honest. Now, that's not really setting a very good example to patients who are coming in to see the doctor/nurse and being lectured about the dangers of obesity, is it? ;)

Angel01, do you actually work for RTE/Fair City? I doubt the actors would be all that miffed if they read some of the comments here about their weight. After all, they are actors and they do put themselves out there so presumably it's not exactly the profession to be in if one happens to be a bit sensitive about things. I use the term "profession" loosely.

I think C-J raises some valid points. For instance, I ain't going to mention any names but there's a certain nurse working for a certain doctor who's quite a bit overweight to be honest. Now, that's not really setting a very good example to patients who are coming in to see the doctor/nurse and being lectured about the dangers of obesity, is it? ;)

Angel01, do you actually work for RTE/Fair City? I doubt the actors would be all that miffed if they read some of the comments here about their weight. After all, they are actors and they do put themselves out there so presumably it's not exactly the profession to be in if one happens to be a bit sensitive about things. I use the term "profession" loosely.

finally someone who sees what i'm trying to say. I couldn't care less if all the actors were morbidly obese and its only possible to fit one person in each shot. What i've been trying to say is that these actors chose to be in the public eye for their profession, which in turn makes them role models for us and our children and the nation as a whole. Monkey see monkey do. The only way to tackle the obesity endemic in this country is to teach people to exercise, eat properly etc, and the media is a very strong way of doing this. If lives can be saved by a simple storyline then great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

They are doing a job, imagine even fat people make good nurses or doctors :D. It is about doing a good job and not looking a certain size. I happen to judge each character (and actor) on the merit of their acting and not what they look like.

The same could be said for all those praising Neasa, most of that (if not all) are praising here, purely on what she looks like and not how she acts.

No, I don't work for RTE or Fair City but I would love to, given half a chance... :D:D

We're fighting a losing battle here against angel who either works in rte or just has a really unhealthy obsession with fiction... Please open your mind to other peoples opinions instead of shooting them down because you don't like them. Last time I checked Ireland was still a democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jumbo threads are being closed to reduce the load on the site. Welcome to the new Fair City thread. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Look, the cast of Fair City are mostly below average, or around average size.
    Everyone has different metabolisms and hindrances. Some storyline about people improving their fitness could be interesting, but one where characters unnecessarily diet will only worsen (esp. young) women's paranoia about weight, rather then making them care about their health.

Look, the cast of Fair City are mostly below average, or around average size.
    Everyone has different metabolisms and hindrances. Some storyline about people improving their fitness could be interesting, but one where characters unnecessarily diet will only worsen (esp. young) women's paranoia about weight, rather then making them care about their health.

yes & irish 'average' is much heavier than other nations. An eating disorder epidemic is not on the cards if Vivienne & the heavier ones decide to do weight watchers or somethin! I'm talking subtle changes to encourage healthier lifestyles. Everyone hanging out in the hungry pig munchin burgers every lunchtime is so unrealistic & turns my stomach. People doth protest too much you'd have to wonder at some of the manners of thinking on here. Healthy lifestyle = longer life, it's not rocket science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

yes & irish 'average' is much heavier than other nations. An eating disorder epidemic is not on the cards if Vivienne & the heavier ones decide to do weight watchers or somethin! I'm talking subtle changes to encourage healthier lifestyles. Everyone hanging out in the hungry pig munchin burgers every lunchtime is so unrealistic & turns my stomach. People doth protest too much you'd have to wonder at some of the manners of thinking on here. Healthy lifestyle = longer life, it's not rocket science

Hear, hear - obviously I agree with you as I've been there, done that and now healthy living is my profession and my passion. People need to be taught about a healthy lifestyle and the media is the best way to do that.
    And by the by, I started watching The Biggest Loser US online about this time last year, which is what inspired me to go out and sort my life out, so its amazing what the power of a tv show can do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

We're fighting a losing battle here against angel who either works in rte or just has a really unhealthy obsession with fiction... Please open your mind to other peoples opinions instead of shooting them down because you don't like them. Last time I checked Ireland was still a democracy?

Erm let me see I must work at RTE or Fair City, ah that old chestnut, know let me see where could I work, maybe I am a newsreader or could I work in the news or if I work on Fair City, do I work on the scripts, or maybe I even work with the set props and if I am lucky, I may even get to say a line or two.... nice one C-J ...really original :D:D

Or I have an unhealthy obsession with fiction, gosh I didn't realise noone else in the planet watched a soap opera on telly... I must get myself in the Guinness book of records with that one! :D All those millions that watch all the soaps must all be as sad as me!! Guess you never came across the Digital Spy soaps forum, that must really freak you out then! :pac::pac:

Personally, I think you have serious issues with how you view people who are overweight.. this recent quote by you
    Saw her out walking on the n5 the other day and she's put on a sight of weight!

How nice of you to judge every single person you see....

Hope everyone is well on this lovely saturday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

C-J and Angel01 - this thread is for discussing Fair City. No more on-thread bickering please.

FYI C-J: Angel01 doesn't work for RTE. You don't need to work for RTE to read Soap News/Soap Forums.

Back on topic please.

At last some rational thought! Where has esther disappeared to? The show is v boring without her moaning & gossip, it seems when an actor is given more than a few scenes in a week they then disappear for a month! I want Ray to have a proper storyline himself and Bob are the two best method actors. Perhaps a teenage pregnancy/abortion storyline with Dearbhla that only one of the parents knows about and ends up splitting them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

On the subject of healthy eating (I am not passing any personal comments on FC actors), I think it is strange the way the script writers seem to have forgotten that Paul Brennan had a heart attack. They had him on the salads and stuff for about a week afterwards and now he seems to live on Hungry Pig burgers and chips and pizzas. Anyone who I know who was lucky enough to survive a heart attack(my close friend had one at 49 !) completely changed their lifestyles afterwards. They got the cholesterol down, took up exercise and gave up smoking. If the writing was more realistic Paul would still be under the care of a cardiac team and would have regular appointments with dietitians/physical therapists to keep him on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

At last some rational thought! Where has esther disappeared to? The show is v boring without her moaning & gossip,
    I reckon Esther will be back in action when she hears Suzanne's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Healthy lifestyle = longer life, it's not rocket science
    Well according to this article watching an hour of TV shortens your life by 22 minutes so presumably watching half an hour of Fair City will shorten your life by 11 minutes. And with 4 episodes a week you could potentially be losing 44 minutes of your life for every week watching FC. :eek:

Someone made the point upthread that FC never show people exercising. I'm pretty sure they had Leo and Dean running sometime recently. Also I recall Carol was doing some keep fit not that long ago with (I think) Christy and Ray. My memory is obviously going as I can't even recall the Haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Barry is being built up now as some kind of "savoir" cant wait until he falls of his pedestal and outed as Sarah's killer

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Someone made the point upthread that FC never show people exercising. I'm pretty sure they had Leo and Dean running sometime recently. Also I recall Carol was doing some keep fit not that long ago with (I think) Christy and Ray. My memory is obviously going as I can't even recall the Haven.

I think Carol was training with Christy and Malachy. Leo was running with Finn. Zach plays football with Finn and others. Laura is a personal trainer. Felix was a personal trainer. Keith plays football. Zumo does martial arts. Mark boxes. Denzo has started training with Mark. John Deegan does weights. David did martial arts, I think. Esther runs a fitness club.

But apart from those fifteen people, Fair City NEVER shows anyone exercising. It's a disgrace. I'm going to march on RTE as soon as I finish this second kebab. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Barry is being built up now as some kind of "savoir" cant wait until he falls of his pedestal and outed as Sarah's killer

He's getting very smug alright. I like the way his first suggestion for a good news article in the newsletter was about how Ben was rescued from the car. Complete with a big photo of Barry, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

If the problem with the drains is
    Sarah's suitcase, why didnt Denzo burn her clothes??? Why would he put them in a drain, when there was a good chance they would be discovered??

But apart from those fifteen people, Fair City NEVER shows anyone exercising. It's a disgrace. I'm going to march on RTE as soon as I finish this second kebab. :P

the whole street exercising while stuffing their gobs with burgers chips milkshakes and alcohol each day is counter productive. Suppose the writers are paving the way for a stroke/heartattack/diabetes/high cholesterol endemic in the near future which is clever on their part. I suppose Vivienne will be there to give her sound medical wisdom. . . Oh wait she'll have died on the surgeons table before then while having a gastric band. Noice!

Why dont Bob know Wayne's surname :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

How unrealistic is it that Suzanne confides in Mark about her pregnancy ??

Karen23 wrote: »

I thought she'd be afraid of him since he beat her up

Hour long special on Wednesday

Karen23 wrote: »
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought she'd be afraid of him since he beat her up

He hated her so much that he beat her up and she was terrified of him and now she feels he's the only one she can talk to - come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

the whole street exercising while stuffing their gobs with burgers chips milkshakes and alcohol each day is counter productive. Suppose the writers are paving the way for a stroke/heartattack/diabetes/high cholesterol endemic in the near future which is clever on their part. I suppose Vivienne will be there to give her sound medical wisdom. . . Oh wait she'll have died on the surgeons table before then while having a gastric band. Noice!
    Ok woman... we get it. Smiley

Regarding Mark/Suzanne, maybe some kind of Stockholm Syndrome related thing? Seems unrealistic now, but may be developed?
    Also Suzanne is hardly the most mentally stable person like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Barry :
    " We need as many bodies as we can get " ! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement