Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Anxiety Phobia/Disorder

• 13-08-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I hope all is well, first off i am hoping if any admin reads this would you mind making this thread a sticky if even only for a few of days, i am trying to make as many people aware of this phobia as i can because im sure there are so many people out there that have this and dont realize it, just like i was up until recently!

Social Anxiety Phobia! I have it, and ive only just realised this recently thanks to the internet and all the info you can get, you tube too!

It sucks to be honest, its a phobia, think of shyness x 1000! All my life ive been so unbelievably quite around people (other than my immediate family) and i mean quite. In primary school i was basically a mute, i would not talk to anyone and because of that i got depression, but like alot of people i had to deal with that by myself because i couldnt tell anybody and to be honest i didnt know what was wrong i simply thought i was quite.

What happens is when im around someone i constantly keep on thinking that the other person in the room is thinking bad of me, looking down on me, judging me. I wont say a word because i close up inside and get so anxious, i cant think properly its unreal. here are more examples and a read, info from the net...

A woman hates to stand in line in the store because she's afraid that everyone is watching her. She knows that it's not really true, but she can't shake the feeling. While she is shopping, she is conscious of the fact that people might be staring at her from the big mirrors on the inside front of the ceiling. Now, she has to talk to the person who's checking out her groceries. She tries to smile, but her voice comes out weakly. She's sure she's making a fool of herself. Her self-consciousness and anxiety rise to the roof...

Another person sits in front of the telephone and agonizes because she's afraid to pick up the receiver and make a call. She's even afraid to call an unknown person in a business office about the electric bill because she's afraid she'll be "putting someone out" and they will be upset with her. It's very hard for her to take rejection, even over the phone, even from someone she doesn't know. She's especially afraid to call people she does know because she feels that she'll be calling at the wrong time -- the other person will be busy -- and they won't want to talk with her. She feels rejected even before she makes the call. Once the call is made and over, she sits, analyzes, and ruminates about what was said, what tone it was said in, and how she was perceived by the other person....her anxiety and racing thoughts concerning the call prove to her that she "goofed" this conversation up, too, just like she always does. Sometimes she gets embarrassed just thinking about the call.

A man finds it difficult to walk down the street because he's self-conscious and feels that people are watching him from their windows. Worse, he may run into a person on the sidewalk and be forced to say hello to them. He's not sure he can do that. His voice will catch, his "hello" will sound weak, and the other person will know he's frightened. More than anything else, he doesn't want anyone to know that he's afraid. He keeps his eyes safely away from anyone else's gaze and prays he can make it home without having to talk to anyone.

A man hates to go to work because a meeting is scheduled the next day. He knows that these meetings always involve co-workers talking with each other about their current projects. Just the thought of speaking in front of co-workers raises his anxiety. Sometimes he can't sleep the night before because of the anticipatory anxiety that builds up. Finally, the meeting is over. A big wave of relief spills over him as he begins to relax. But the memory of the meeting is still uppermost in his mind. He is convinced he made a fool of himself and that everyone in the room saw how afraid he was when he spoke, and how stupid he acted in their presence. At next week's meeting, the boss is going to be there. Even though this meeting is seven days away, his stomach turns raw with anxiety and fear floods over him again. He knows that in front of the boss he'll stammer, hesitate, his face will turn red, he won't remember what to say, and everyone will witness his embarrassment and humiliation. He has seven miserable days of anxiety ahead of him -- to think about it, ruminate over it, worry about it, over-exaggerate it in his mind.......again and again and again.....

A student won't attend her university classes on the first day because she knows that in some classes the professor will instruct them to go around the room and introduce themselves. Just thinking about sitting there, waiting to introduce herself to a roomful of strangers who will be staring at her makes her feel nauseous. She knows she won't be able to think clearly because her anxiety will be so high, and she is sure she will leave out important details. Her voice might even quiver and she will sound scared and tentative. The anxiety is just too much to bear---so she skips the first day of class to avoid the possibility of having to introduce herself in class.

Another young man wants to go to parties and other social events---indeed, he is very, very lonely---but he never goes anywhere because he's very nervous about meeting new people. Too many people will be there and crowds only make things worse for him. The thought of meeting new people scares him---will he know what to say? Will they stare at him and make him feel even more insignificant? Will they reject him outright? Even if they seem nice, they're sure to notice his frozen look and his inability to fully smile. They'll sense his discomfort and tenseness and they won't like him --- there's just no way to win --- "I'm always going to be an outcast," he predicts. And he spends the night alone, at home, watching television again. He feels comfortable at home. In fact, home is the only place he does feel completely comfortable. He hasn't gone anywhere else in twelve years.

In public places, such as work, meetings, or shopping, people with social anxiety feel that everyone is watching, staring, and judging them (even though rationally they know this isn't true). The socially anxious person can't relax, "take it easy", and enjoy themselves in public.

In fact, they can never fully relax when other people are around. It always feels like others are evaluating them, being critical of them, or "judging" them in some way. The person with social anxiety knows that people don't do this openly, of course, but they still feel the self-consciousness and judgment while they are in the other person's presence.

It's sometimes impossible to let go, relax, and focus on anything else except the anxiety and fear. Because the anxiety is so very painful, it's much easier just to stay away from social situations and avoid other people altogether.

Many times people with social anxiety simply must be alone---closeted---with the door closed behind them. Even when they're around familiar people, a person with social anxiety may feel overwhelmed and have the feeling that others are noticing their every movement and critiquing their every thought. They feel like they are being observed critically and that other people are making negative judgments about them.
    One of the worst circumstances, though, is meeting people who are "authority figures". Especially people such as bosses and supervisors at work, but including almost anyone who is seen as being "better" than they are in some respect. People with social anxiety may get a lump in their throat and their facial muscles may freeze up when they meet this person.

The anxiety level is very high and they're so focused on "not failing" and "giving themselves away" that they don't even remember what was said in the conversation. But later on, they're sure they must have said the wrong thing.....because they always do.

How is it ever possible to feel "comfortable" or "natural" under these circumstances?

To the person with social anxiety, going to a job interview is pure torture: you know your excessive anxiety will give you away. You'll look funny, you'll be hesitant, maybe you'll even blush, and you won't be able to find the right words to answer the questions coherently. Maybe this is the worst part of all: You know that you are going to say the wrong thing. You just know it. It is especially frustrating because you know you could do the job well if you could just get past this terrifying and intimidating interview.

Welcome to the world of the socially anxious.

Social anxiety is the third largest psychological problem today. This type of anxiety affects about 5% of people. Unlike some other psychological problems, social anxiety is not well understood by the general public or by medical and mental health care professionals, such as doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, social workers, and counselors. In fact, people with social anxiety are misdiagnosed almost 90% of the time. People with social phobia come to our anxiety clinic labeled as "schizophrenic", "manic-depressive", "clinically depressed", "panic disordered", and "personality disordered", among other damaging misdiagnoses.

Because few socially-anxious people have heard of their own problem, and have never seen it discussed on any media, such as the television talk shows, they think they are the only ones in the whole world who have these terrible symptoms. Therefore, they must keep quiet about them. It would be awful if everyone realized how much anxiety they experienced in daily life. Then what would people think about them? Unfortunately, without some kind of education, knowledge, and appropriate treatment, social phobia/social anxiety continues to wreak havoc throughout their lives. Adding to the dilemma, when a person with social anxiety finally gets up the nerve to seek help, the chances that they can find it are very, very slim.

Making the situation more difficult is that social anxiety does not come and go like some other physical and psychological problems. If you have social anxiety one day......you have it every day for the rest of your life.....

The feelings I described to you at the beginning of the article are those of people with social anxiety disorder. That is, their symptoms apply to most social events and functions in almost every area of life.

As with all problems, everyone with social anxiety has slightly different secondary symptoms. Some people, for example, cannot write in public because they fear people are watching and their hand will shake. Others are very introverted and they find it too difficult to hold down a job. Still others have severe anxiety about eating or drinking in the presence of other people. Some people with social anxiety feel that a certain part of their body (such as the face or neck) are particularly "strange looking" and vulnerable to being stared at. Others experience a muscle spasm (usually around the neck and shoulders) and it becomes the center of their focus ---"it's so embarrassing that if someone sees it I will be humiliated forever!"

One thing that all socially anxious people share is the knowledge that their thoughts and fears are basically irrational. That is, people with social anxiety know that others are really not critically judging or evaluating them all the time. They understand that people are not trying to embarrass or humiliate them. They realize that their thoughts and feelings are somewhat exaggerated and irrational. Yet, despite this rational knowledge, they still continue to feel differently.

It is these automatic "feelings" and thoughts that occur around social situations that must be met and conquered in therapy. Usually these anxious feelings are tied to thoughts that are entwined in a vicious cycle of negative expectations and negative appraisals. It is a catch-22 situation: there is no way out without the appropriate therapy.
    Here comes the good part.

How can social anxiety be treated? Many therapeutic methods have been studied, but cognitive-behavioral therapy is the only modality that has been shown to work effectively. In fact, treatment of social anxiety through cognitive-behavioral methods has the capacity to produce long-lasting, permanent relief from the anxiety-laden world of social anxiety.

Social anxiety responds to relatively short-term therapy, depending on the severity of the condition. I have seen significant progress in just twelve individual sessions, although most people respond better with sixteen to twenty-four meetings. To overcome social anxiety, completion of a behavioral therapy group is also essential (when people feel ready for this and not before).

What socially anxious people do not need is years and years of therapy or counseling. You can't be "counseled" out of social phobia. In fact, socially anxious people who are taught to "analyze" and "ruminate" over their problems usually make their social anxiety and fears much worse, which in turn leads to depression, which just reinforces the fact that "I will never get better". (Shudder...this statement does NOT have to be true.)

THERE IS A BETTER LIFE FOR ALL PEOPLE WITH SOCIAL ANXIETY. Without treatment, social anxiety is a torturous and horrible emotional problem; with treatment, its bark is worse than its bite. Add to this that current research is clear that cognitive-behavioral therapy is highly successful in the treatment of social anxiety. In fact, the people who are unsuccessful are the ones who are not persistent in their practice and who won't stick with simple methods and techniques at home. They are the ones who give up.

If a person is motivated to end the years and years of crippling anxiety, then cognitive-behavioral treatment provides the methods, techniques, and strategies that come together to lessen the anxiety and make the world a much more enjoyable place.

Many of us have been through the crippling fears and constant anxiety that social phobia produces -- and have come out healthier and happier on the other side. You can too...

And now back to me :)
    So much of this applied to me, the first day that i realized i have this my mind was a mess and i was confused of what to do next, but to be honest im pretty much on the right path all along. 3 years ago i started a job in a call centre, i needed work and any job would have done but the sole reason i chose a call cantre before anywhere else was to force myself into an athmosphere full of people all day long, and the fact i would have to openly TALK all day long was a reason too, you see i was so sick and tired of not talking to anyone because of the anxiousness and that can be so depressing its not even funny, and i know alot of people i know think im just arrogant, because im able to talk to some folk but not others, and thats confusing to some and seen as arrogants to others and then again other people just think im fairly weird.......or is this just me thinking this? ya get me!

I can now talk with people so much better but ive so far too go still, but theres one more thing that i need to point out which has helped me unbelievably, i cant say how good this is but for the past 5 months ive been practicing Transcendental Meditation, its basically curing my SA. Im still pretty anxious but ive lost my fear of being around anyone, even though i never have anything to say i dont really care. To give you a summary of TM see below.

Transcendental Meditation is a type of meditation which is practised twice daily for a period of 15-20 minutes. The technique primarily involves sitting comfortably with the eyes closed. Each student is given a mantra and is instructed in inducing relaxation through use of the mantra. It is estimated that in the last 40 years, over five million people around the world have learned TM. During TM the body becomes more relaxed. The person's awareness settles down to a state of restful alertness.
    TM can have a number of positive effects including

An increase in energy
    An inprovment in health
    A reduction in stress and anxiety
    An increase in creativity
    Your memory gets so much better
    You basically get smarter! look into it more, you tube it its fantastic!

Anyway thats all i really have to say on this i cant really think of anything else but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and ill try answer you :)
    other than if you think you have it you can get help! but this is the hard part, get up and look for it! You can get more info at http://www.socialanxietyireland.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ww00

Starfox, fantastic thread and great idea.

I believe i have social anxeity- Im actually quiet confident in mysef..im just not so confident presenting myself to other people. Certain individuals cause me to panic...be that groups of individuals in one room or members of the opposite sex who i am attracted to.In certain situations, particulary any form of public speaking or figures of authority, I am intimidated to a degree that is far from the norm. Ive done presentations in school where my voice was shaking, even reading in school terrified me.

Throughout college ive chosen subjects that do not involve presentations or speaking in groups. I have done quiet well for myself career wise but i have reached a point where I can no longer wish/hope/pray for this anxiety to disappear.

The ironic thing is that I used to Love public speaking and would often put myself forward. I was never nervous..actually got a sense of satisfaction from it. But now ive done a 360. ..And so almost ten years later Ive finally taken the first step and had my first counselling session today. And the relief i feel is unreal. Im excited about the future and I feel so much more optimistic already because ive finally taken the first step...and it actually wasnt as daunting as i thought.

I really hope and pray I can combat this..but i already feel so optimistic and that in itself is such a plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Beevus

What a fantastic description of social phobia.I definetly have it and its a curse.I dread the normal social occasions that other people look forward to eg weddings; christenings; dinners with work colleagues etc.It has got worse in recent years .While I was working I dreaded meetings where I had to talk and eventually hardly spoke at all.I cannot order my thoughts while speaking in public.I get panic attacks at Mass if I am in my local church.I feel its a chore for other people to sit beside me at social occasions because I cant lighten up .I went to a counsellor but I found it too painful talking about my life and possible reasons for it The doctor gave me Xanax tablets to take when I feel I need them. Im nnot sure if they help or not.I have no problem going out with my family or very close friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tommym037

I can certainly relate to that. I'm in the airport at the minute. Sweating like a pig. Everyone is looking at me.

Maybe I should have left my underpants on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Beevus

Thats a very helpful comment Tommy I feel better already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tommym037

Hi Starfox,

Glad I could do some good today. Hope you have a nice weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

"Others experience a muscle spasm (usually around the neck and shoulders) and it becomes the center of their focus ---"it's so embarrassing that if someone sees it I will be humiliated forever!""

-not sure if this is off topic or not. But I've had this exact twitch since I was 12 years old (basically the start of secondary school), and I'd never heard of anyone else having it ever. I got teased for it and everything...which probably didn't help :(

After reading that I'm wondering if I've been misdiagnosed...doctors always did seem reluctant to give me a label...

Really informative post, thanks! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭powerzjim

iv got this as well, it was much worse when i was younger

when i was 18 i worked in retail that helped me alot speaking to customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oldschool09

Starfox wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I hope all is well, first off i am hoping if any admin reads this would you mind making this thread a sticky if even only for a few of days, i am trying to make as many people aware of this phobia as i can because im sure there are so many people out there that have this and dont realize it, just like i was up until recently!

Social Anxiety Phobia! I have it, and ive only just realised this recently thanks to the internet and all the info you can get, you tube too!

It sucks to be honest, its a phobia, think of shyness x 1000! All my life ive been so unbelievably quite around people (other than my immediate family) and i mean quite. In primary school i was basically a mute, i would not talk to anyone and because of that i got depression, but like alot of people i had to deal with that by myself because i couldnt tell anybody and to be honest i didnt know what was wrong i simply thought i was quite.

What happens is when im around someone i constantly keep on thinking that the other person in the room is thinking bad of me, looking down on me, judging me. I wont say a word because i close up inside and get so anxious, i cant think properly its unreal. here are more examples and a read, info from the net...

A woman hates to stand in line in the store because she's afraid that everyone is watching her. She knows that it's not really true, but she can't shake the feeling. While she is shopping, she is conscious of the fact that people might be staring at her from the big mirrors on the inside front of the ceiling. Now, she has to talk to the person who's checking out her groceries. She tries to smile, but her voice comes out weakly. She's sure she's making a fool of herself. Her self-consciousness and anxiety rise to the roof...

Another person sits in front of the telephone and agonizes because she's afraid to pick up the receiver and make a call. She's even afraid to call an unknown person in a business office about the electric bill because she's afraid she'll be "putting someone out" and they will be upset with her. It's very hard for her to take rejection, even over the phone, even from someone she doesn't know. She's especially afraid to call people she does know because she feels that she'll be calling at the wrong time -- the other person will be busy -- and they won't want to talk with her. She feels rejected even before she makes the call. Once the call is made and over, she sits, analyzes, and ruminates about what was said, what tone it was said in, and how she was perceived by the other person....her anxiety and racing thoughts concerning the call prove to her that she "goofed" this conversation up, too, just like she always does. Sometimes she gets embarrassed just thinking about the call.

A man finds it difficult to walk down the street because he's self-conscious and feels that people are watching him from their windows. Worse, he may run into a person on the sidewalk and be forced to say hello to them. He's not sure he can do that. His voice will catch, his "hello" will sound weak, and the other person will know he's frightened. More than anything else, he doesn't want anyone to know that he's afraid. He keeps his eyes safely away from anyone else's gaze and prays he can make it home without having to talk to anyone.

A man hates to go to work because a meeting is scheduled the next day. He knows that these meetings always involve co-workers talking with each other about their current projects. Just the thought of speaking in front of co-workers raises his anxiety. Sometimes he can't sleep the night before because of the anticipatory anxiety that builds up. Finally, the meeting is over. A big wave of relief spills over him as he begins to relax. But the memory of the meeting is still uppermost in his mind. He is convinced he made a fool of himself and that everyone in the room saw how afraid he was when he spoke, and how stupid he acted in their presence. At next week's meeting, the boss is going to be there. Even though this meeting is seven days away, his stomach turns raw with anxiety and fear floods over him again. He knows that in front of the boss he'll stammer, hesitate, his face will turn red, he won't remember what to say, and everyone will witness his embarrassment and humiliation. He has seven miserable days of anxiety ahead of him -- to think about it, ruminate over it, worry about it, over-exaggerate it in his mind.......again and again and again.....

A student won't attend her university classes on the first day because she knows that in some classes the professor will instruct them to go around the room and introduce themselves. Just thinking about sitting there, waiting to introduce herself to a roomful of strangers who will be staring at her makes her feel nauseous. She knows she won't be able to think clearly because her anxiety will be so high, and she is sure she will leave out important details. Her voice might even quiver and she will sound scared and tentative. The anxiety is just too much to bear---so she skips the first day of class to avoid the possibility of having to introduce herself in class.

Another young man wants to go to parties and other social events---indeed, he is very, very lonely---but he never goes anywhere because he's very nervous about meeting new people. Too many people will be there and crowds only make things worse for him. The thought of meeting new people scares him---will he know what to say? Will they stare at him and make him feel even more insignificant? Will they reject him outright? Even if they seem nice, they're sure to notice his frozen look and his inability to fully smile. They'll sense his discomfort and tenseness and they won't like him --- there's just no way to win --- "I'm always going to be an outcast," he predicts. And he spends the night alone, at home, watching television again. He feels comfortable at home. In fact, home is the only place he does feel completely comfortable. He hasn't gone anywhere else in twelve years.

In public places, such as work, meetings, or shopping, people with social anxiety feel that everyone is watching, staring, and judging them (even though rationally they know this isn't true). The socially anxious person can't relax, "take it easy", and enjoy themselves in public.

In fact, they can never fully relax when other people are around. It always feels like others are evaluating them, being critical of them, or "judging" them in some way. The person with social anxiety knows that people don't do this openly, of course, but they still feel the self-consciousness and judgment while they are in the other person's presence.

It's sometimes impossible to let go, relax, and focus on anything else except the anxiety and fear. Because the anxiety is so very painful, it's much easier just to stay away from social situations and avoid other people altogether.

Many times people with social anxiety simply must be alone---closeted---with the door closed behind them. Even when they're around familiar people, a person with social anxiety may feel overwhelmed and have the feeling that others are noticing their every movement and critiquing their every thought. They feel like they are being observed critically and that other people are making negative judgments about them.
    One of the worst circumstances, though, is meeting people who are "authority figures". Especially people such as bosses and supervisors at work, but including almost anyone who is seen as being "better" than they are in some respect. People with social anxiety may get a lump in their throat and their facial muscles may freeze up when they meet this person.

The anxiety level is very high and they're so focused on "not failing" and "giving themselves away" that they don't even remember what was said in the conversation. But later on, they're sure they must have said the wrong thing.....because they always do.

How is it ever possible to feel "comfortable" or "natural" under these circumstances?

To the person with social anxiety, going to a job interview is pure torture: you know your excessive anxiety will give you away. You'll look funny, you'll be hesitant, maybe you'll even blush, and you won't be able to find the right words to answer the questions coherently. Maybe this is the worst part of all: You know that you are going to say the wrong thing. You just know it. It is especially frustrating because you know you could do the job well if you could just get past this terrifying and intimidating interview.

Welcome to the world of the socially anxious.

Social anxiety is the third largest psychological problem today. This type of anxiety affects about 5% of people. Unlike some other psychological problems, social anxiety is not well understood by the general public or by medical and mental health care professionals, such as doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, social workers, and counselors. In fact, people with social anxiety are misdiagnosed almost 90% of the time. People with social phobia come to our anxiety clinic labeled as "schizophrenic", "manic-depressive", "clinically depressed", "panic disordered", and "personality disordered", among other damaging misdiagnoses.

Because few socially-anxious people have heard of their own problem, and have never seen it discussed on any media, such as the television talk shows, they think they are the only ones in the whole world who have these terrible symptoms. Therefore, they must keep quiet about them. It would be awful if everyone realized how much anxiety they experienced in daily life. Then what would people think about them? Unfortunately, without some kind of education, knowledge, and appropriate treatment, social phobia/social anxiety continues to wreak havoc throughout their lives. Adding to the dilemma, when a person with social anxiety finally gets up the nerve to seek help, the chances that they can find it are very, very slim.

Making the situation more difficult is that social anxiety does not come and go like some other physical and psychological problems. If you have social anxiety one day......you have it every day for the rest of your life.....

The feelings I described to you at the beginning of the article are those of people with social anxiety disorder. That is, their symptoms apply to most social events and functions in almost every area of life.

As with all problems, everyone with social anxiety has slightly different secondary symptoms. Some people, for example, cannot write in public because they fear people are watching and their hand will shake. Others are very introverted and they find it too difficult to hold down a job. Still others have severe anxiety about eating or drinking in the presence of other people. Some people with social anxiety feel that a certain part of their body (such as the face or neck) are particularly "strange looking" and vulnerable to being stared at. Others experience a muscle spasm (usually around the neck and shoulders) and it becomes the center of their focus ---"it's so embarrassing that if someone sees it I will be humiliated forever!"

One thing that all socially anxious people share is the knowledge that their thoughts and fears are basically irrational. That is, people with social anxiety know that others are really not critically judging or evaluating them all the time. They understand that people are not trying to embarrass or humiliate them. They realize that their thoughts and feelings are somewhat exaggerated and irrational. Yet, despite this rational knowledge, they still continue to feel differently.

It is these automatic "feelings" and thoughts that occur around social situations that must be met and conquered in therapy. Usually these anxious feelings are tied to thoughts that are entwined in a vicious cycle of negative expectations and negative appraisals. It is a catch-22 situation: there is no way out without the appropriate therapy.
    Here comes the good part.

How can social anxiety be treated? Many therapeutic methods have been studied, but cognitive-behavioral therapy is the only modality that has been shown to work effectively. In fact, treatment of social anxiety through cognitive-behavioral methods has the capacity to produce long-lasting, permanent relief from the anxiety-laden world of social anxiety.

Social anxiety responds to relatively short-term therapy, depending on the severity of the condition. I have seen significant progress in just twelve individual sessions, although most people respond better with sixteen to twenty-four meetings. To overcome social anxiety, completion of a behavioral therapy group is also essential (when people feel ready for this and not before).

What socially anxious people do not need is years and years of therapy or counseling. You can't be "counseled" out of social phobia. In fact, socially anxious people who are taught to "analyze" and "ruminate" over their problems usually make their social anxiety and fears much worse, which in turn leads to depression, which just reinforces the fact that "I will never get better". (Shudder...this statement does NOT have to be true.)

THERE IS A BETTER LIFE FOR ALL PEOPLE WITH SOCIAL ANXIETY. Without treatment, social anxiety is a torturous and horrible emotional problem; with treatment, its bark is worse than its bite. Add to this that current research is clear that cognitive-behavioral therapy is highly successful in the treatment of social anxiety. In fact, the people who are unsuccessful are the ones who are not persistent in their practice and who won't stick with simple methods and techniques at home. They are the ones who give up.

If a person is motivated to end the years and years of crippling anxiety, then cognitive-behavioral treatment provides the methods, techniques, and strategies that come together to lessen the anxiety and make the world a much more enjoyable place.

Many of us have been through the crippling fears and constant anxiety that social phobia produces -- and have come out healthier and happier on the other side. You can too...

And now back to me :)
    So much of this applied to me, the first day that i realized i have this my mind was a mess and i was confused of what to do next, but to be honest im pretty much on the right path all along. 3 years ago i started a job in a call centre, i needed work and any job would have done but the sole reason i chose a call cantre before anywhere else was to force myself into an athmosphere full of people all day long, and the fact i would have to openly TALK all day long was a reason too, you see i was so sick and tired of not talking to anyone because of the anxiousness and that can be so depressing its not even funny, and i know alot of people i know think im just arrogant, because im able to talk to some folk but not others, and thats confusing to some and seen as arrogants to others and then again other people just think im fairly weird.......or is this just me thinking this? ya get me!

I can now talk with people so much better but ive so far too go still, but theres one more thing that i need to point out which has helped me unbelievably, i cant say how good this is but for the past 5 months ive been practicing Transcendental Meditation, its basically curing my SA. Im still pretty anxious but ive lost my fear of being around anyone, even though i never have anything to say i dont really care. To give you a summary of TM see below.

Transcendental Meditation is a type of meditation which is practised twice daily for a period of 15-20 minutes. The technique primarily involves sitting comfortably with the eyes closed. Each student is given a mantra and is instructed in inducing relaxation through use of the mantra. It is estimated that in the last 40 years, over five million people around the world have learned TM. During TM the body becomes more relaxed. The person's awareness settles down to a state of restful alertness.
    TM can have a number of positive effects including

An increase in energy
    An inprovment in health
    A reduction in stress and anxiety
    An increase in creativity
    Your memory gets so much better
    You basically get smarter! look into it more, you tube it its fantastic!

Anyway thats all i really have to say on this i cant really think of anything else but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and ill try answer you :)
    other than if you think you have it you can get help! but this is the hard part, get up and look for it! You can get more info at http://www.socialanxietyireland.com

Hi, I am a new member, I do know all phobia's are fear based. From my own experience, stress seems to trigger of the phobia. I do think that young people should be given, every help possible to address any fear! and to understand their body's reaction's to their fear or fear's. When I avoided my fear's! they grew and grew, till my smallest fear got to be a problem, I created my own cycle of phobic madness.

regards

Oldschool09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lugus

First off i'd like to say Excellent post starfox. It's so comforting to know that there are other peolpe that feel as strongly as i do about this situation. I too used to suffer extreme social anxiety due to my insecurity that was brought on by years of bullying in one form or another. I first seeked help when i went to college as i could barely speak to class mates due to the fear of what they thought of me/ were thinking of me along with the constant fear that i would not fit in. I was prescibed medication(Paxil) whiched helped alot initially but realized that it only masked the problem and numbed alot of emotions both good and bad. Although i know medication can and has helped alot of people i found that the linden method by charles linden has given me alot of understanding about my situation/condition and given me the ways and means too overcome my phobias. I only started this program recently and i find the techniques so helpful.
    Has anybody tried this method and if so how did you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

man its funny reading those examples because some of them are exactly what i am thinking
    it is like they have read my thoughts

my social phobia has really messed up my life
    i was decent in school, but i couldnt handle college at all and i soon dropped out
    now i am in a crap job with no way out of it
    if anyone has had this and overcome it, then please let the rest of us know your secret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Only just thought of checking out this section, I have posted in the speech forum before but it's not a speach issue that we're dealing with it's a social anxiety disorder.
    Our 10 year old has Selective Mutism and it is classed as a social anxiety disorder, she cannot speak in school and only last year started to whisper to her teacher. It's so frustrating for everyone including her but we and the school are all working on it.

Selective mutism seems to be more common than once thought, it's not shyness our kid is far from shy some call it an extreme shyness but it's much more than that.

She just cant speak to people or class mates her face goes blank and for the first few years she would stand in the playground pretty much frozen in place.

Selective Mutism can be missed so easily esp. in larger schools some kids are just classes as quiet or stubborn or defiant and they are none of these they simply can't help how they feel. If not caught and if not treated many kids end up growing up with no help and it can lead to depression and in some cases severe depression or worse.

It's still not widely understood.

Our kid speaks perfectly at home, she was always 'by the book' a lot of kids with this disorder are brighter than avereage or very good at maths or art or music. She's very clever, good at maths and art and never shuts up talking at home. Even if I leave the room she still waffles on.

She used to speak in playschool when she started juniors she gradually stopped but she started regressing in playschool, they were also obsessed with kids being well behaved and quiet and she took this much more to heart than most kids would.

She only speaks to her grandparents, her parents, one friend and her mum at times depending and only if noone else is around. Noone else.
    If she's around strangers she knows don't know her and I'm talking to them she will sometimes interupt me and come in on the conversation because she knows they don't know anything about her but she won't look them in the eye and speak to them directly.

We've tried everything from shrink (who had to leave and was never replaced so heard nothing for 2 years) to bribery to subtle things like spending time in the class room when noone else is there etc. Only thing that seems to have helped outside of school is when she turned 10 she was promised a pup and when taking him to classes she started to speak indirectly to other people because she is so into dogs and was so excited about being around the other dogs and her new pooch she almost forgot herself and it gave her confidence.
    So he's doubling up as a therapy dog and it is helping.

It's going to be a long term thing though, she's in 4th class so won't be long before she's heading to secondary school and this is what we're dreading. We've kept her in a small country school where they know her and she's not forgotten about of course with the cut backs she has no class room assistant now which is maddenings because that's how she started whispering to her teacher. She got a new classroom assistant last year and because she was new she started whispering to her and by some miracle then the very same day started whispering to her teacher. She still whispers to her teacher but no longer has the class room assistant.

No idea where we go from here she had come a long way but so much further to go. So many kids get forgotten about or thought of as just overly shy when they have a social anxiety disorder it's much more than shyness and being embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Only just thought of checking out this section, I have posted in the speech forum before but it's not a speach issue that we're dealing with it's a social anxiety disorder.
    Our 10 year old has Selective Mutism and it is classed as a social anxiety disorder, she cannot speak in school and only last year started to whisper to her teacher. It's so frustrating for everyone including her but we and the school are all working on it.

Selective mutism seems to be more common than once thought, it's not shyness our kid is far from shy some call it an extreme shyness but it's much more than that.

She just cant speak to people or class mates her face goes blank and for the first few years she would stand in the playground pretty much frozen in place.

Selective Mutism can be missed so easily esp. in larger schools some kids are just classes as quiet or stubborn or defiant and they are none of these they simply can't help how they feel. If not caught and if not treated many kids end up growing up with no help and it can lead to depression and in some cases severe depression or worse.

It's still not widely understood.

Our kid speaks perfectly at home, she was always 'by the book' a lot of kids with this disorder are brighter than avereage or very good at maths or art or music. She's very clever, good at maths and art and never shuts up talking at home. Even if I leave the room she still waffles on.

She used to speak in playschool when she started juniors she gradually stopped but she started regressing in playschool, they were also obsessed with kids being well behaved and quiet and she took this much more to heart than most kids would.

She only speaks to her grandparents, her parents, one friend and her mum at times depending and only if noone else is around. Noone else.
    If she's around strangers she knows don't know her and I'm talking to them she will sometimes interupt me and come in on the conversation because she knows they don't know anything about her but she won't look them in the eye and speak to them directly.

We've tried everything from shrink (who had to leave and was never replaced so heard nothing for 2 years) to bribery to subtle things like spending time in the class room when noone else is there etc. Only thing that seems to have helped outside of school is when she turned 10 she was promised a pup and when taking him to classes she started to speak indirectly to other people because she is so into dogs and was so excited about being around the other dogs and her new pooch she almost forgot herself and it gave her confidence.
    So he's doubling up as a therapy dog and it is helping.

It's going to be a long term thing though, she's in 4th class so won't be long before she's heading to secondary school and this is what we're dreading. We've kept her in a small country school where they know her and she's not forgotten about of course with the cut backs she has no class room assistant now which is maddenings because that's how she started whispering to her teacher. She got a new classroom assistant last year and because she was new she started whispering to her and by some miracle then the very same day started whispering to her teacher. She still whispers to her teacher but no longer has the class room assistant.

No idea where we go from here she had come a long way but so much further to go. So many kids get forgotten about or thought of as just overly shy when they have a social anxiety disorder it's much more than shyness and being embarrassed.

Hi Guineapigrescue,

Sorry to hear that about your girl, its been awhile since i posted this thread only looking at the replies now, have you looked into meditation? i cant honestly say enough about tm (transcendental meditation) through it ive lost my anxiety...almost, my fear factor of socializing is just about gone, most people spend their whole lives ignoring what hurts them or bottling up things that bring them down, when you meditation your addressing all the feelings inside, its like a therapy with yourself and theres nowhere for you to run. There is so many different levels to tm and what it can do for you, its 'a tool to develop a higher state of consciousness' your become a much more calmer person, more coherent with everything, you actually get smarter! ... basically everything on every level gets easy, ill dig up some videos on your tube you can look at,

here

John Hagelin ph.D in consciousness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSoU-pFTTU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZOFJ2r8nrQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD0aA...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvEk...eature=channel

Film Director David Lynch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnbsboEvfoA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD7MR...eature=channel

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the guy who brought TM to the western world)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0icNZnUxYo0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ajE...eature=channel

Hugh Jackman and Howard Stern (on OCD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilz0v...eature=channel

Random examples
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrMv...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGijj...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdVr...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWlg...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHdi...eature=channel

Are all meditations the same?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l41m...eature=channel

You can learn this in ireland there are a few teachers around the country, waterford, cork, dublin im not sure where else, but look here http://www.tm-ireland.org/

Hope these are of some help

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

I hope I'm not bumping (mods:)), but I think some people also need to know what is introversion in direct response to social anxiety as a further information about this shy, anti-social, own world thingy, similarly as Guineapigrescue wrote about Selective Mutism .

I'm just gonna copy-paste-sh*t from some website...and wiki....

The Introvert's Personality Traits

Most of us are introverts or extroverts by nature, but we all display either introverted or extroverted personality characteristics at different times. For instance, you may be an introvert in a group of strangers and an extrovert at home with your family. However, most people exhibit stronger tendencies one way or another, towards either the introvert or extrovert side of the spectrum.

Introverts have an inward focus and aren't usually the life of the party. They have a strong sense of self that can make them feel highly self-conscious around other people – making walking into a crowded room a little nerve-wracking. Introverts have a hard time being goofy in front of the camera and telling jokes to more than a couple of people at a time, but they can be extremely witty.

Introverts process their emotions, thoughts, and observations internally. They can be social people, but reveal less about themselves than extroverts do. Introverts are more private, and less public. Introverts need time to think before responding to a situation, and develop their ideas by reflecting privately. Introverts' personality traits can be passionate, but not usually aggressive.

Introverts can focus their attention more readily and for longer periods of time, and they aren't easily swayed by other people's opinions.

Are Introverts Shy and Quiet?

Some introverts aren't stereotypically shy and can strike up conversations with anyone. These introverts enjoy talking and listening to people, and going to parties and events. But most introverts would rather be at home. Introverts can find small talk easy but tiring – and sometimes boring. They'd rather have meaningful conversations about the depths of human souls and minds, but find few opportunities (those aren't your usual conversations at water coolers or dinner parties!).

An introvert's personality traits aren't necessarily tentative or hesitant, but introverts do prefer to think before they act. When introverts are ready they take action!

Where Introverts Get Their Energy

Introverts tend to get their energy from within, so being with people is draining. After a day filled with people or activities, introverts tend to feel exhausted and empty. To recharge their batteries introverts need to be alone reading, daydreaming, painting, or gardening – any solo activity fills them up again. This doesn't mean introverts have to live alone in a cave in the hills or on Walden Pond; they just need quiet time to come back to themselves. The energy source for introverts is from within.

IN SHORT:
    Introverts tend to be more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. They are not necessarily loners but they tend to have smaller circles of friends and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts. Introverts are less likely to seek stimulation from others because their own thoughts and imagination are stimulating enough. A common misconception is that all introverts suffer from social anxiety or shyness. Introversion does not describe social discomfort but rather social preference. An introvert may not be shy at all but may merely prefer non social or less social activities.

More copy-paste-sh*t from the internet:

Understanding the Introvert in Your Life

"Introverts need acceptance, not change".

Do you know someone who can make a show-stopping presentation to colleagues, but is never seen at the company Christmas party? Who, despite the urging of family and friends, prefers to spend time alone? Who can carry on a lengthy, deep conversation with one or two people, but seems at a
    loss for words when put on the spot in a social gathering? Who would much rather complete a project alone than as part of a group? If so, you probably know an introvert.

INTROVERTS DON"T NEED TO BE FIXED: Introversion is not something that needs to be “fixed,” but ask any introvert how hard that is for the extroverts around him to understand. Extroverts have a terrible time understanding how anyone would rather stay home than go out with the crowd. How could they leave that young lady to eat alone in the restaurant? Surely, someone needs to intervene. Right? Wrong. I know. I am an introvert.

Marti Laney, a self proclaimed introvert and author says, “We’ve all grown up in an extroverted society, and there really is quite a concept of negativity attached to introverts.” I definitely think extroverts wrote the books on manners. It is perfectly acceptable to say you cannot attend a function if you are ill, but considered very rude to decline simply to spend time at home alone. Therefore, introverts get good at making excuses, or just not showing up.

WHAT IS INTROVERSION? Take the famous Myers-Brigg personality test and the first category you it defined is introversion or extroversion. Introversion is not a phobia. It is an orientation, one that is shared by at least 25% of the population. Introversion is not the same as shyness. Shy people tend to get nervous or anxious around others. Introverts are not usually anxious. They just prefer their own company to the company of others.

The majority of the population feels recharged by spending time socially with others. The introvert feels drained of energy being with others, but give them some alone time, to reflect and enjoy the quiet, and they will be perfectly content. Introverts need lots of quiet time. My own
    experience has been it usually takes me three hours alone for every hour in a social situation, sometimes more, before I feel like I want to come out of my room and join my family. Introverts tend to focus on the “inside world” rather than the “outside world.”

In my own life, I tried for years to make myself be social, thinking that in doing so, I would “fit in better” and be happier. For many years, I tried to fit into that role, and failed miserably. I also found myself exhausted most of the time. My family begged, pleaded, bribed, and schemed to “get me out of my shell” only to find I would crawl back in it given any opportunity. It wasn’t until I faced my fiftieth birthday and decided to go for some therapy to help me “become more like normal people” that I found someone knowledgeable enough to tell me what introversion really means. I wasn't "withdrawn" because people who isolate frequently are experiencing depression. I wasn't depressed. I was perfectly happy spending time alone. That's what introverts like best.

Recognizing myself as an introvert meant I was not crazy, not a recluse, not anti-social, and not shy. It just means I am like the “other normal” part of the population, the part that is very misunderstood. The therapist suggested I read Marti Laney’s book, The Introvert Advantage, and in those pages, I felt like my own story was written. I am normal. I am OK. And if you are introverted, please know you are normal, too!

ADVANTAGES TO BEING AN INTROVERT: There are some advantages to being introverted. Studies show that many of our world’s geniuses were introverted. Introverts make great researchers, as many love the methodical thought process a good investigator needs to have. Most introverts love
    details. They also love to ponder, so they make great philosophers, spiritual mentors, teachers, and writers. They also can be great at making speeches, but not so great at the impromptu questions afterward. Although they know what they think, some introverts experience a difficult time putting words to their thoughts when called upon. However, introverts usually make great listeners. Famous introverts include Stephen King, Sissy Spacek, Albert Einstein, Andy Warhol, Robert DeNiro and many others. Introverts can be very creative, but rarely give interviews or make public appearances unless it is necessary to their careers to do so.

ACCEPTANCE: Book stores are full of books giving how-to information on becoming more outgoing, overcoming the need to be alone. If you believe you are introverted, take one of the free Myers-Briggs personality tests online to find out. But if you are, don’t feel you have to change. Rather, accept yourself just as you are. If you want to become more outgoing, then learn those skills, but don't do it to make yourself what others want. Give The Introvert Advantage to your family to help them understand it is nothing personal if you bow out of their invitation. Introverts should not be changed to extroverts, any more than short people should be forced to change to being tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublinrep

I have been suffering from generalized anxiety and social phobia along with deppression all my life... im currently on 45 mils of zispin and xanax(not recommended as it can be very addictive and a tollerance builds up) I recently done cbt and it really helped alot, I still get some social anxiety and some panic attacts but i am learning to controll it.

I would recomend to anyone to try mindfullnes as it helps no end with social phobia and anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Some resources for Social Anxiety & Social Phobia here and for Dublin & Dundalk here

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

The Mater Hospital run a group CBT based intervention for Social Anxiety, has been running for a number of years and is very successful, it also runs follow up groups for people who have completed the course, you can find further details at:

www.socialanxietyireland.com

I would also highly recommend the book "Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness" by Gillian Butler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

i worry about everything, and think to much :(

Kormeera X wrote: »
    i worry about everything, and think to much :(

Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRmBJhtys9g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

>
    >
    >
    > Thanks a million for that, i will deffo do that! X

Im not sure how new this website is but its new enough, Irish website/forum for suffers of SA, good bunch of folks here. http://socialphobiaireland.crazyfruits.net/forum.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,
    I am reading Confidence by Rob Yeung. He suggests making goals by SPOT technique.
    How would I put the goal of being confident and beating social anxiety into SPOT?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I just read this post right now and my mind is blown. Everything that has been said here applies to me! My parents think that I'm lazy because whenever they ask me to go across the road to get a paper or something I always refuse. Really though, I can't because I'm terrified I'll meet someone or trip on the way or something.
    In fact the only time I can go anywhere outside on my own is in the early hours of the morning when i know there will be an extremely small amount of people around.

Yet I have no problem going anywhere when I am with a group of friends?

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    I just read this post right now and my mind is blown. Everything that has been said here applies to me! My parents think that I'm lazy because whenever they ask me to go across the road to get a paper or something I always refuse. Really though, I can't because I'm terrified I'll meet someone or trip on the way or something.
    In fact the only time I can go anywhere outside on my own is in the early hours of the morning when i know there will be an extremely small amount of people around.

Yet I have no problem going anywhere when I am with a group of friends?

This sounds more like social avoidance disorder rather than social anxiety although very alike. And you say your ok around friends, yes because you (im guessing) know that they are definitely not judging you, thinking badly of you ect which is why you are comfortable.

Even though everyone with an anxiety problem like this knows that these thoughts about other people are irrational 99% of the time its still almost impossible to stop thinking like this, positive attitudes and a motivation to rise above these problems is the key to beating anxiety.

Heres a good video, good info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yup, I get the old panic attacks alright, have done for years. I might be okay for a while and a panic attack will get me all of a sudden, always when I'm out, rarely happens at home, which I guess tells it's own story. I'll start to feel hot, my head especially, I'll feel my heart racing, my mouth will go dry and I'll have trouble swallowing, I'll start to feel dizzy and trembly, I think I can't breathe and I'll try and get a deep breath, which I can't and that of course just makes the palpitations worse, it's just a mess. All the while I'd be thinking 'Got to get the hell out of here! Gotta get home.'
    This kinda thing typically seems to happen to me when I'm shopping or something and waiting in a queue at the checkout, which just makes the panic worse coz you think everyone can see it and thinks you're a nutter. If I'm feeling a bit fragile (which happens when you're thinking 'I hope I don't get panicky like last time') when I walk into the local supermarket and see a long queue at the tills I'll walk straight back out again.
    What doesn't help, and I think it's because of all this, is that I've become agoraphobic. Also, I have had the odd epileptic fit. Now I gotta say that hasn't happened for what must be close to ten years now, but I'm afraid of it happening. Not the fit itself, I can feel it coming on before it happens and I know to be somewhere safe, what frightens me is that I don't remember anything for a good two to three hours afterwards. Total amnesia. I won't remember my name, where or when I am. The last time it happened, I was in Dublin, when I came to, someone asked me 'do you know where you are?' and I said ' the Hague'. (I'm from Holland originally) This is a scary thing for me, and it started off my agoraphobia, so now I simply hardly ever go anywhere on my own. I have days where I'm okay, and I think those are days where I'm feeling better about myself because I achieved something that day, or did something I've wanted/needed to do for a long time, or did something for someone that made them happy, or maybe I got praise or compliments from someone that made me feel good.
    This is why I think that it's all about my perception of myself.
    I know I'm a nice person, I know I'm a good friend who people can talk to and relate to, that I'm not bad looking and I'm capable and smart enough etc., but subconsciously, deep down, I guess I don't know all those things, I think coz I had a lot of bad **** happen to me in my childhood, which I won't go in to right now, but it was enough to rob me of my confidence and my trust in people.
    So there it is.
    The thing is, I can't really blame the people who hurt me or deserted me when I was a kid, partly because it serves no one, partly because they were messed up themselves, and also because I need to take charge of my own life.
    So for now, when I get panicky, I try to slow down my breathing (breathe into your belly, not into your chest, in 5 seconds, out 5 seconds), find a quiet spot, and I think: 'This will pass. It always does.'
    And it always does. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but it does pass. Hey if it happens to you, it's worth a try. And give yourself a little credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stereojunkie

Great thread starfox.

I was diagnosed with Social Phobia at 17 (I'm 31 now). Have mostly been prescribed medication, currently Seroxat 40mg daily, also had a few sessions of counselling. I still struggle with it constantly, some days are better than others. I've requested CBT Group Therapy, the same model that they employ in The Mater Hospital, but was told that there aren't enough numbers needing it here in the South East - which I find very hard to believe. I'm hoping that I can attend the Mater Hospital group, as it would be more than worth the travel. Fingers crossed!

Hope everyone is doing well at the moment. It's always comforting to know that there's other people in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Great thread Starfox
    Have been suffering from social anxiety/phobia badly for a year and once in a blue moon for a few years before that but never really knew what was wrong with me. I used to be such a social and outgoing person now I'm so preoccupied with what people are thinking or saying about me I dread social situations as I always fear I'll make a fool of myself or get laughed at, I realise I'm just being paranoid but can't help feeling this way. It got really bad when I started college last year. I began to get panic attacks in lectures, sweating, feeling faint etc. It became so hard to go in although I didn't miss many days, some days I just couldn't face going in even getting the bus was a struggle. I have seen a psychologist and a psychoanalyst for short periods of time but to be honest didn't help much at all. I would feel better straight after the session but this wouldn't last long. I just didn't feel I was making any progress plus the added cost is a stumbling block.

It's refreshing to know other people are going through this aswell and now I actually know what's wrong and what help to seek. I've made an appointment with my GP and will seek to see a CBT therapist hopefully this will help...

I think everybody is different when it comes to SA, its such a broad topic, and there is so many sub factors to it, like being afraid that your being judged by others, what i think works is trying to build yourself up, make you feel good about yourself and when you do that you get more confidence and and start to stop caring what others think, which is the problem.

You dont just have to do what a doc tells you to do, live your own life and be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Starfox wrote: »
    Hi folks,

http://www.socialanxietyireland.com

Sounds like a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which is a very severe anxiety disorder.

I've suffered from severe OCD most of my life and been pretty much crippled by it for the last 8/9 years and that train of thought is very very familiar to me. I also have generalised anxiety/social disorder and related depression.

Will keep an eye on this thread, cheers. I've heard about that meditation before, might look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 superhero87

ya iv been in the same boat for a year or two heavily now, but its was going on a lot longer than that, used to smoke a lot of cannabis, making me think thats all it was, so i would of had it for years to some degree and not really knowing it.% again, **** it want to nip this in the bud, no point prolonging it with booze.

Best advice iv heard came from here (http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html), below are are a few of the pages i copy and pasted on word printing them out, and carrying them around with me when i was interailing this summer for a month, it would have been so though if i wasnt following this advice, i havent looked into the book yer man is selling but going on this information it looks very promising AT LAST A LIFE;invite them in the lose there power, your mind needs a rest, found this hard to believe but noticed an effect after a few days, get proper sleep, and eat healthy too, food list in info below this info tells you not to fight the thoughts your having, to see them as what they are, anxiety, let them come in no matter how crazy they seem, they will lose there power. another book i found helpful was PEACE OF BODY PEACE OF MIND it also tells you to move towards your fears "facing discomfort brings comfort"(as unlikly as it seems)

treat negative thoughts as theories rather fact, and put them on trail kind of with rational evidence to lessen there effect(can be impossable at times) this is cbt(cognitive behavioural therapy) downloaded a self help book on this before, found it very helpful(self help for dummies) , also downloaded and tried a few guided meditations, might take a while to find the right one for you
    i use a self esteem one for the mornings an one to help me sleep at night, also found a video on youtube called "tapping" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7OZwhcqxY which is good if you have the time, its very odd, mixture of meditation and well tapping.

downloaded (for free shuusssh) the charles linden method, i found helpful for advice but to follow it properly it tells you to stop seeing your therapist, and come back when youve worked through issues, which might be a while for me, main bit i got out of it so far was to use a distraction, eg writing, become apart of a drama group(dont have to get on stage, learning lines and acting practise is enough) organize something, personally i act in amature plays an i did find that it was a release, but id only be in a play every couple of months so i didnt get a great help out of it,

writing on the other hand i love, and the best hing about is that to become a better writer to need to practice like a mother****er, write a book, look online for creative writing prompts, no one evn has to read them but it frees yours mind a bit, also writing out negative thoughts can help you see them in a different light, helping you to figure out situations, as writing is governed by a different part of the brain than speaking, it can give clearer thoughts than an anxious mind, i have taken to carrying a little notepad around with me, to jot down memoirs or what not, also great for a google list, charles linden says that anxiety disorders come from the mind not been challenged enough, if it has no food it will start to make its own( replaying social situations and such).

cleaning doing the dishes can give a little boost, also try being a bit zen living in the moment, like when your walking around notice the feel of everything, your feat on the ground when you walk, the smells you get, how cold is it. while eating take the time to really taste the food(mindful eating) when im really bad just counting things around me can help, doin multiplacation, keep the mind active, **** like su doko would be go to do when on the bus.

another book i read(also where i got some of the previously stated info is from irelands own Gareth O Callaghan, and his book "a day called hope" this provided me with great insight, one of his main points is that the best weapon you can have againist depression(this really annoyed me for a while, do i have anxiety or depression? they come hand in hand, i reckon iv had anxiety for so long that it just built up to much which caused me to be depressed not being able to talk to your closest friend, and constantly being wrecked will depress anyone, most treatments for one will work for the other) is information. mr O Callaghan in his recovery( not fight) went back to education, and became a qualified councilor, his book is definatly worth a look, he believes that it is better to try and overcome the situation without medication if a t all possible, a great book and well written, i had it done in under a wk.

music, get the right types around you, uplifting, search and search for the songs that give you a good buzz,( songs i likehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL1cRSRUUZQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo cant beat a bit o bowie) also one last thing if you are following all the above steps, and are starting to feel better, then one day you find yourself right back at square one, dont give up its a setback, and a part of recovery, keep following the techniques that worked for before(also pick something and stick to it, i found this very hard to do) the steps youve taken before are not lost, just buried under sympthoms again, a setback only has as much power a s you give it, i would be thrilled if this info could help one person.
    also would like to know if there is a support group around galway city or people interested in setting one up?

FROM THE WEBSITE ANXIETY NO MORE

Listen to your body
    When we first experience anxiety, it is, in most cases because of a period of stress and worry. Our body cannot take any more so it sort of shuts down; it has reached a breaking point and has said enough is enough. This may lead to feelings of anxiousness, feelings of panic, the feelings of detachment. It does not matter what the symptoms are; your body is saying “I can take no more”, which is where the word breakdown comes in, because that is really what it is. Now all your body is asking for is a rest and time to rejuvenate itself. Do we give it that time? No, through no fault of our own, we then worry about these symptoms, worry that we are going mad, wonder why we feel so anxious, so emotionless and this puts more worry and strain on our already tired body. We may begin to feel worse, we tell ourselves we must get a grip of this thing, so we fight it and worry even more. Well I think you can now see why these symptoms persist.
    This is exactly what I did for all those years while I suffered. In fact I was worrying because I had been ill for so long and my days were filled with fighting and worry. This is what I am forever telling people. In order to help yourself, do not fight to feel better. Do not worry and obsess about how you feel. You need to give your body the break it so craves.
    Embrace nature
    Step outside and take a walk, go for a bike ride or a swim. Try not to sit around indulging in self-pity at the way you are feeling. Getting out of the familiar surroundings that you find yourself in every day can refresh your mind and really give it another focus apart from yourself. This is a very good way of helping your thoughts become more outward instead of inward.
    Exercise is also one of the best physical stress-reducing techniques available. Exercise not only improves your mental and physical health it also reduces stress. It relaxes tense muscles and can aid sleep. Exercise also burns off all the stress chemicals and creates a release for all the anxiety and worry that can build up in our day.
    Just be
    Stop fighting your symptoms, tensing against how you feel, trying to push your symptoms away. Don't spend everyday going round in circles trying to figure it all out. This just adds more stress and anxiety to how you feel. Worrying just makes your mind more and more tired, more and more detached from everything around you. If fighting worked you would be cured by now so why not try the opposite. Recovery is never a 'I must rid myself of these feelings', it is all about not doing. Some people try and control how they feel day in, day out, they worry and fight their way through their day, trying to get the better of this thing. Imagine the stress this puts on that person, the body wants and needs a break and it gets the exact opposite. When you go round all day trying to physically and mentally control how you feel, do something about it, keep a grip on yourself, you are doing everything wrong, the exact opposite of what you should do.
    However you feel, just accept it. Fighting your symptoms and trying to push them away just adds more tension to your already anxious body, it just adds to your feelings of anxiety and this is why this condition stays with you. You can never hope to recover this way. It is human nature to fight something, it is all we know to do. But with anxiety it is the very last thing you should do.
    Embrace your fears
    Start to move towards your fears, as you may now know avoidance just does not work. By avoiding you are telling your body you are in danger, this then becomes a learnt behaviour and forms your new habit to run away from how you are feeling.
    The best bit of self help advice I was given was "Avoid your fears and they begin to grow, move towards them and they dampen" This may not be easy at times, but this is the way to de-sensitise. Invite your symptoms and fears, shake them by the hand, let them be there. They hate been invited as they have no fear to feed on and this is the very thing that keeps them alive.
    Forget the miracle cure
    Just like I did, too many people like spend too much time searching for that miracle cure or the new magic pill that is just going to make it all go away instantly, that cure that so many people falsely promise. They also may be convinced they have missed something and that the answer must have eluded them so far. I tried every so called cure available to me, until I realised the cure must come from within. Recovery comes through the correct information and a little patience. The best way to help yourself is not to spend every day trying to rid yourself of how you are feeling, but to be willing to work with the feelings there. This is the way to give your mind and body a break. Worrying and fighting daily just adds to your feelings of anxiety and panic and keeps you in the cycle. Nothing is achieved overnight, but with knowledge, comes less worry, less fear and this helps give your mind and body the time and space it needs to recover. In the end it was a realisation that I had to let recovery come to me and not to spend hours each day chasing it.
    Stop the 'What ifs'
    Today is a good day to stop the 'What if' thoughts.
    What if I never get better?
    What if it’s not anxiety, but a different mental problem?
    What if my old self is lost forever?
    What if there is something else wrong with me, brain tumour?
    What if I can't breathe?
    What if I have to live like this for the rest of my life?
    What if it’s just me that feels like this?
    What if I'll never be able to enjoy the things I used to?
    Thoughts like this are a waste of time and they usually amount to nothing.
    All they do is keep your anxiety alive. All this worrying puts a tremendous burden on your body. Recovery is not about resting the body as much as resting the mind. Thrashing it daily with worrying thoughts only increases your feelings of panic and anxiety. Since recovery, I have found that worrying is the single most useless emotion we have. It serves no purpose whatsoever and is only counter-productive.
    The next time you have one of these ' What if ' thoughts, just let it go. It's just your habit to worry - understand this - realise it will serve you no purpose and just let it go.
    For more advice and answers visit my Q&A Page
    Recovery From Depersonalisation and Derealisation
    "Understanding Feelings of Unreality"
    Sufferers of Depersonalisation or Derealisation feel divorced from both the world and their own body. Often people who experience depersonalisation claim that life "feels like a dream", things seem unreal, or hazy; some say they feel detached from their surroundings. Another symptom of this condition can be the constant worrying or strange thoughts that people find hard to switch off.
    People often say that no matter how hard they try, they don't feel like they can interact with the world around them. They feel a sense of detachment from their surroundings, finding it hard to talk and connect with others. Also they feel no love for the people closest to them and even question if they did a certain task or had a particular conversation. The most upsetting thing is they lose a sense of who they are and can't seem to perceive themselves as being normal.
    Depersonalisation is a common and understandable offshoot of the anxiety condition. Before going further into depersonalisation, let me clear up one thing that I get asked often. “No, you are not going mad.” This feeling comes from being constantly worried about your own problems, it is not serious or harmful in any way and has a totally logical explanation. It is temporary and, with patience and understanding, eventually passes like any other symptom.
    Depersonalisation occurs with anxiety because you are so used to watching yourself, questioning your illness, day in, day out, that you start to feel detached from the outside world. Your mind has become tired and less resilient through watching and worrying about your symptoms. It has been bombarded with worrying thoughts and becomes fatigued. When our limbs tire, they ache. When our mind tires, we feel these strange feelings of detachment from the world around us, experiencing an almost dreamlike state, convincing ourselves that we are going mad or losing it. You are not; your mind is just so very tired and just craves a rest from all this introspection of oneself.
    When people are caught up in the worry cycle, they begin to think deeply and constantly. They study themselves from deep within, checking in and focusing on their symptoms. They may even wake in the morning only to continue this habit, “How do I feel this morning? “I wonder if I will be able to get through today?”. What’s this new sensation I feel?” This may go on all day, exhausting their already tired mind further. This constant checking in and constant assessing of their symptoms then becomes a habit. The more they worry and obsess about how they are feeling, the more detached they feel, which in turn has them worrying and obsessing even more, the outside world now takes up little of their attention, they are just so concerned about themselves.
    All this worry is bound to make your mind feel dull and unresponsive. You are so concerned about how you feel, that you are letting nothing else into your day. Is it any wonder you have come to feel so distanced and detached from your surroundings? Is it any wonder you find it so hard to concentrate? Some people, when studying for exams for hours on end, reach the point where they can no longer take information in, so they take a break and carry on the day after. For you, there are no breaks and no time outs.
    What a lot of people don’t know is that depersonalisation can occur in people without anxiety or panic issues. This can occur when someone has lost a loved one, been involved in an accident or maybe a recent shock. It is the body’s way of protecting you from all the worry or hurt you maybe feeling, like a safety valve and it is there to protect you. This is normally temporary and when, say, the person grieving overcomes some of the hurt, the depersonalisation will fade. The trouble with anxiety is that people suffering have a tendency to worry and the depersonalisation comes along to protect you from all this stress and daily worry. People can then feel detached, empty or emotionless. What happens then is that people begin to worry and obsess over this new feeling, thinking it's something serious or they are going mad. They may even forget their anxiety and focus solely on this new feeling which can lead to these feelings increasing. The unreality grows as we enter a cycle of worry and fear and so your body protects you from these feelings of unreality even more, making you feel more distanced and detached than ever. It is the very worry and fear over this feeling that keeps you in the cycle.
    The way to move forward out of depersonalisation is not to worry and obsess about it, but to work with it there; to give it as much space as it needs and not be too impressed by it. See it as your body protecting you and not a sign that something terrible is happening or that you are going mad. This symptom is like any other and the more you worry or obsess about it, the bigger the problem can become and the longer you stay in the cycle. Below is one of many emails I receive from people who were convinced they would never find a way out of this condition.
    Hi there Paul! I just wanted to thank you for your book. After countless Doctor's visits I still never knew what I suffered from until I found your website!! I have suffered with really bad anxiety for the last year following a panic attack I had back in February. After buying your book for the 1st time back in November and following your advice I am making strides every day to recover. I suffered from depersonalization and bizarre scary thoughts. The depersonalisation was so frightening and no one ever explained to me what it was until your book. When the thoughts would come I would try so hard to fight them and then I would think….Oh My Gosh....why am I thinking this and it would create more anxiety and feelings of detachment. I saw a Social Worker for 6 months and she let me suffer for so long without one explanation of my symptoms, I honestly and truly thought this was me forever. With your book I am getting better everyday.......the depersonalisation is gone and now I am working on these crazy thoughts!! God Bless you and thanks for writing this book.
    Kind Regards
    Janet
    I took some convincing that this was just an off-shoot of anxiety at the time when I was suffering, I thought this must be more serious. I now know that I was just in the habit of watching myself all day and was so concerned about how I felt and how I could get better, I had no interest in the outside world; my condition consumed me. I was living my life while at the same time watching myself and doing neither very well. I felt so detached that I could not read a book or follow a conversation. It was like taking part in some sort of movie, having to act my way through the day. I just could not connect with people or anything outside of my own little world.
    This symptom, like many others, relies on your fear of it to keep it alive and this is the symptom I have been asked about more than any other over the years. I do go into far more detail in my book and explain how I was able to recover from this harmless yet disturbing symptom. This condition can really fool people into thinking it is something far worse than it really is. I myself found this feeling of detachment very hard to accept and understand, but when it was explained to me in full, in time I was able to rid myself of this symptom of anxiety.
    Worrying, Racing, Disturbing Thoughts
    Worrying, racing thoughts is the one symptom with anxiety that can bother people the most; they do not understand how they can have such thoughts that seem so scary and come with such impact. I have heard people say they fear the beginning of O.C.D or that they have awful thoughts about those closest to them, feel that they are ‘going mad’ and that they cannot control these disturbing thoughts, they seem to come without them even thinking them. Well these do have an explanation and these worrying, disturbing thoughts really are just an off-shoot of anxiety.
    The reason you seem to have your attention on yourself all day and it feels like there are many thoughts running through your mind is twofold.
    1. It is all the confusion about how you feel. Your mind spends all day looking for answers and trying to find a way out of this hell. Some people may even stay up all night, reflecting on the whole day and trying to figure everything out.
    Eventually, thinking just becomes automatic, it becomes a habit. All day, every day, these thoughts seem to enter your head before you even think them. Look at it this way, when people meditate, they stop thinking for hours on end, until it becomes a habit and they can go all day without a worrying thought, which is why they feel so refreshed. Not you, your thoughts just carry on and on and when your mind is tired, like it is now, it grabs hold of every thought pulling them in and making them stick.
    2. Why are some thoughts so bad? When you are in an anxious state, emotions seem to be tenfold, everything magnifies and a little problem becomes massive. Something that you could dismiss when you were healthy, can stick around all day.
    Anxiety is really just adrenalin that needs an outlet and this includes manifesting itself into scary, irrational, strange thoughts, they are not important and should just be seen for what they are, anxiety just playing its tricks. Anxious thoughts are totally normal when suffering with anxiety. People ask me. 'Why do I have all these anxious, scary thoughts?, 'Because you have anxiety' is always my answer. It's a simple response to a simple question.
    These are just some of the scary thoughts on anxiety that I have come across. I call them the ‘what ifs’!
    What if no one can cure me?
    What if it’s not anxiety, but a different mental problem?
    What if my old self is lost forever
    What if there is something else wrong with me, brain tumour etc?
    What if I lose control?
    What if I can't breathe?
    What if I have to live like this for the rest of my life?
    What if this feeling never goes away?
    What if it’s just me that feels like this?
    What if I'll never be able to enjoy the things I used to?
    What if I have an attack and pass out?
    What if I cannot be the person I used to be?
    You may have said one or two of the above to yourself or recognise a fear you have. Well, I did too; it was always ‘yes, but what if?’ Well, all of these ‘what ifs?’ usually amount to nothing. They prove to be just an overactive mind playing its tricks on you. Thoughts seem to come uninvited and always seem to hold such force when we are anxious. Also, a lack of understanding of anxiety can bring these fears. Like me, you may have gone for a long time without anyone explaining to you why you feel like you do and you may not even have been told that it is anxiety. Can you see why these fears can build up in people? A lack of understanding of their condition, coupled with the habit of always thinking the worst compounds their fears. Add this to a tired mind that has lost a lot of its resilience, and you have a whole host of ‘what ifs?’.
    Some people worry to the extent that they believe everything they feel is life threatening. A headache becomes a brain tumour, a stomach ache can become cancer and so on, and no matter how many times their doctor tells them there is nothing wrong with them, they are never quite convinced.
    If this is you, then realise these thoughts are just figments of your imagination, mainly created by your anxious state. Everything becomes magnified when we are anxious. Let these thoughts go, don’t react to them and see them as just that, thoughts that carry no weight whatsoever, no matter how loud they shout.
    When we try too hard to do ANYTHING, it seems to slip further from grasp. This includes to ridding oneself of unwanted thoughts. The more you "try" to push them away, the longer they linger and the stronger their impact. When we welcome and give room to unwanted thoughts, they lose their significance and quickly diminish. When you impose a false sense of importance upon a thought, it will often appear more serious than it deserves.
    Time again is a great healer concerning this condition. I allowed them to flow in and flow out and I didn’t react. When I did this, I noticed the scary thoughts seem to lose their scary edge. Stop fighting them, just say: come if you wish, I no longer care, you are not important.
    Don’t ever tell yourself that you must not think these thoughts. Let all thoughts come; do not run away from any of them; see them for what they are, just thoughts, exaggerated because of the way you feel. They can do you no harm and they mean nothing. They won’t be around when you recover, so pay them no respect. The best way to alleviate these intrusive thoughts is to allow them their space by NOT trying to force them out.
    Why not try following a negative/scary thought through and ask yourself, what’s the worst thing that could happen? Then ask yourself if it is really going to happen? Is this thought rational in any way? If you do this, you may find an answer to a thought you have been so frightened off, so that next time these thoughts enter your head, deep down inside there will be a part of you that can see them for what they really are and let them go.
    I often get asked ‘How I do I stop thinking a certain way’, my answer is DON’T try, if it’s not important whether your thoughts are scary or not, why try to stop them, give them their space, this is the way to lose them. Fighting thoughts and trying to rid yourself of them is the wrong approach and a battle you will lose for sure, again you are fighting something that is totally normal in the circumstances. Don't think you are going crazy or try and fight or change the way you think.
    What is recovery and is it possible?
    This is a question I get asked very often. The answer is definite yes. I have lost count of the number of people who have gone on to fully recover; all it takes is a little patience and a proper understanding. I was one of those people who went through anxiety attacks for so long that I thought I would just have to live with it. I had tried so many treatments and began to give up all hope. Luckily I persevered and decided to go away and find as much information as I could. For once I stopped throwing money at all these miracle cures and decided to educate myself as much as possible on the subject. I was tired of being pushed from one doctor to another. I no longer wanted another prescription to try and make my anxiety just go away, I just wanted proper answers. What I found was someone who was very knowledgeable on the subject and was able to not only help me, but also point me in the right direction with my own studies. I was then able to lead myself back to recovery the right way. The one thing I did learn was that the best knowledge comes from going through it and coming out the other side, the only people I have ever respected on the subject all went through it and came out the other side, there is no other better education.
    The main thing I did find out is that it takes a full understanding of anxiety and how we feel, so as to move forward in the right way. You can't recover while your day is full of worry and fear of how you feel through a lack of understanding, trying to think and fight your way better. This is why people rarely move forward with medication; it is just a crutch. The real cure comes from within; too many people want the instant fix that just does not exist. This is why many people spend years going from one treatment to another and getting nowhere.
    I spent years going backwards, because at one time I had no information or knowledge on the subject and my whole day was filled with fear and worry. I spent all day going round in circles in my mind as I had no idea what was wrong with me, this was the very reason I got worse and not better. I was adding so much worry and stress to a body that was crying out for a break.
    The knowledge I gained helped me not only to understand what was wrong with me, it also helped me understand what was holding me back and keeping me in the cycle of anxiety. Once I understood why I felt like, I did I was able to calm the fear and worry as the symptoms did not scare me as much. There was also no need for the constant running around in my mind, trying to figure it all out. This helped my mind to become more flexible and I was able to think more clearly. It also stopped the worry cycle, I now knew why I felt the way I did, my body was finally going to get the break it so craved.
    Recovery also came because for once I trusted in my own body to repair itself. I stopped looking for that outside miracle cure or that magic pill that would make it all go away. I gave my body as much time and space as it needed to recover. This is the way to recover. Through my years of helping people, I have yet to meet someone who recovered overnight or in a week. Recovery takes time, as we may have formed habits. A lot of anxiety is caused by habit, but like all habits they can all be reversed.
    This is why I wrote the book 'At Last a Life' so as to give people a far better understanding of their condition. Just explaining a certain symptom can take away so much fear and worry. I get some lovely emails thanking me for writing the book. So many people say they feel able to cope so much better after reading it, but a lot come a while after, when they have taken that step back and are now beginning to see real progress.
    The Stigma of Anxiety
    A lot of people buy the book and tell me to write private on the package, their family don't know and they would rather keep it to themselves. This is a really sad side of the anxiety condition, the stigma that seems to go with it. If we have a cold, everyone has heard of this and you get a little sympathy, but anxiety is different, how can you be anxious, pull yourself together, it’s all in your head, these are just some of the comments that people may have heard. When we suffer it really is the last thing we need to hear, we need time and understanding to be able to move forward and not to be put under more pressure. If you have an understanding partner then all well and good, if you feel they do not understand, then why not let them take a look at the website or if you have the book you could tell them to just have a read through it. I told my family, 'You may not understand, but just believe me and give me my space'.
    Recovery finally comes through a shift in attitude through knowledge. Once you understand why you feel like you do, you are no longer bewildered and thrown by how you feel. There is no longer a need to worry and investigate your symptoms. This in turn gives you mind and body the break it needs. I can honestly say I could feel all my symptoms again tomorrow and although they would be unpleasant, I would just carry on with my day. I would not investigate or worry about them. There would be no deep thinking, no trying to figure them out, no fighting or acting my way through the day, no going over and over how I felt, questioning everything all day. Basically all the things I once did that kept me in the cycle of anxiety. I basically had a breakdown and that is what it is, your body being over loaded with worry and stress, this is why you feel so tired and spent, why your mind seems to tired and fragile. It has just been pushed beyond its capabilities and is crying out for a break. But what does it get? Well we then feel the symptoms of anxiety/stress we worry even more, 'Why do I feel like this?', and ‘what is wrong with me’? We may find all our waking moment trying to fight and think our way better, spending days going over and over how we feel, trying to find a way out of this hell, which in turn just brings more stress and worry to the mix, this is basically the simple truth of why so many never find a way out as they are in the classic anxiety cycle. If someone had actually told me this early on it would have saved me so much suffering. I was just shifted from one doctor next, from one student straight out of medical school to the one who just felt the need to dig up my past. I was never given any explanation and this I feel is something that needs to change fast.
    To finish I would like to tell each and every one of you that you can recover, we are all built the same way and .Our bodies all react to the right messages we send it. I spent so many years doing everything I should not have done; it was only when I did the opposite that massive changes started to take place.
    Don't be tempted by any claims to cure you overnight, these people are usually just there to take you money fast, I should know, I threw enough money at them. If this instant cure existed then the whole world would know about it and doctor’s surgeries would no longer put it as their number one complaint. Recovery comes through knowledge and patience, these two things will get you to the place you want to be. You body is waiting and waiting to recover, believe me, all you feel are surface symptoms, the true person is just buried underneath them waiting to resurface, once we step out of the way our mind and body will do the rest.
    Food and Anxiety | Anti-Anxiety Diet
    Unfortunately, through anxiety we sometimes turn to alcohol and establish a bad diet to try and make us feel better in the short term. Changing your diet and lifestyle can help many forms of anxiety and the symptoms that go with it.
    As I was recovering, I decided to eat healthier and found that, through this, I had so much more energy, felt calmer and less depressed. I also understood the importance of burning off all my excess nervous energy and took up a fitness campaign that suited me.
    These changes in my life made a lot of difference to how I felt overall. They are not the only answer to anxiety, but they can bring some much needed relief to the way we feel.
    Try and eat a healthy, whole foods diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. Try and include foods that are rich in the B vitamins, such as whole grains, nuts, green vegetables, eggs and fish
    To help lift moods and help calm anxiety, keep away from processed foods and eat more natural products. Also what we drink can have an affect on our stress levels. Although drinking alcohol seems to have a calming effect short term, it dehydrates the body, leaving us feeling more anxious than ever. If you feel you can't give up altogether, then just try and moderate it.
    Avoid fizzy drinks loaded with sugar, instead drink plenty of water, I am personally not a big fan of water and drink the flavoured variety which is fine also. Avoid caffeine too much caffeine, again there is no need to give it up completely, just try and moderate it.
    Below is a small list of foods to avoid and which foods to keep on your side when you are feeling anxious or stressed. Again I don't expect you to be perfect as I was not, but a few changes may help you see the benefit.

Foods to eat
    Yoghurt
    Bananas
    Vegetables
    Wholegrain foods
    Brown Rice
    Beans
    Turkey
    Chicken
    Cottage Cheese
    Fresh Fish
    Poached Egg
    Tuna
    Fruit
    Porridge
    Baked potato
    Peanut butter
    Garlic
    Spinach
    Foods to avoid
    Fizzy drinks
    Processed food
    White bread
    Chips
    Pastry
    Cakes
    Caffeine
    Sugar
    Alcohol
    Chocolate
    Cheese
    Fast Food
    If you want more help and advice with anxiety and panic issues then do please take the time to look around my site.
    Anxiety and Setbacks
    What are they and why do we have them?
    One vital part of understanding recovery is recognising that we will have setbacks; they are part of the process involved in becoming the person you once were. Recovery does not always work in straight lines and can be an up and down affair. Once we realise that fact it can help us tremendously as too many people let these times throw them back into total despair.
    What is a setback?
    A setback is not to be confused with feeling a little up and down throughout recovery; this is normal. I went from having no good days, to having good and bad days. I was very happy with this as it proved to me that I was moving forward. I would describe a real setback as a period during which you feel you are back to square one and that everything you have gained has gone. You feel as empty and lost as you have ever done, scrambling around again for answers and questioning everything once more.
    Setbacks are all part of the process
    When you finally find the answers to anxiety and have a better understanding of it, you may feel an instant relief. You begin to understand that you are not going crazy and that so many others go through the same thing. There is no need to have a constant daily battle with yourself, fighting to be the person you once were, putting on an act, studying and worrying deeply about how you feel. The old you is there, it is just buried underneath the symptoms. You finally understand this and things get easier. You may feel a freedom that you have not felt for some time and everything seems rosy. You are finally moving forward.
    After years of doing everything I should not have done, this was me. I started to make small steps to becoming the old me, having some days of clear thinking and freedom, almost like I could touch the person I once was. Then, wham, I felt like I was back to square one and I would question this: “Why did I feel so good last week and now back to this? What have I done wrong? This is me forever, I will never be free”.
    These were just some of the statements that had me worrying again and trying to think, fight and scramble my way back to how I felt the week before. I was back to ‘googling’ symptoms, filling myself with self pity. I had basically returned to the full anxiety cycle - but why? Because for some stupid reason I thought I could crack it in a few weeks and that all these years of suffering through a lack of understanding would simply disappear. It was like treating someone who was depressed and expecting them to never feel down again. I was asking and expecting the impossible.
    So what did I learn?
    I learnt that the more I let a setback bother me, the longer it lasted, so I just had to learn to live alongside it and pay it little respect. Memory and habit of past suffering were at work. How could I suffer for so long and not expect to feel anxious and lost again?
    I began to see setbacks as part of the process. No matter how horrible I felt, I refused to let them throw me back into total despair and just waited until they passed, which they always did. When you start to go through a few setbacks you learn to hardly ever give them a second thought. They are still unpleasant, but nothing to worry or despair about.
    I remember how many times I have tried to get this point across to people, only for them to let a setback throw them into total despair. A lady once said to me 'Paul I feel very anxious today, but it's fine, it will pass'. That was exactly the point I wanted her to get to. She also pointed out that she always seem to come out of them far stronger and would feel freer than ever. This was also the case with me to, it was another chance for me to shrug my shoulders and not let anxiety win, I was in charge now and it was getting zero respect from me.
    Don't become a victim
    So don't become a victim of setbacks, don't fall back into the anxiety cycle of worry and bewilderment, filling yourself with self pity. Understand they are all part of the process, all the progress and knowledge is never lost, it is just buried under symptoms, waiting to resurface.
    And more than anything, remember that:
    A setback really has only as much power as you give it.
    wers to all sorts of questions throughout my years of helping people with Anxiety and Panic and certain questions came up far more than others. So for everyone's benefit I decided to list some of the more popular ones below.
    Q.1 Why do I feel better in certain situations and not in others?
    This is a very common one and it all comes down to how you think in other situations.
    For example, you may feel better in the safety of your own home rather than at a family gathering. There is no difference in both of these situations, the only difference is in the way you think. You are the same person and it is not the situation that makes you feel worse, it is your thought pattern and memory working together.
    You may spend the day worrying about going to a particular function, setting your body up to be anxious on arrival and then blame it on the situation you are in rather than the thought pattern you have created during the day while at home. You may get there and then also worry about making a fool of yourself, spending the whole time tensing and trying to control how you feel and creating more anxiety. Do you see how we do this to ourselves? It is not the situation, but our perception of the situation that causes us to feel worse in certain situations.
    You must just accept how you feel wherever you are and in whatever situation you find yourself; deal with yourself and not the place, if your feel apprehensive then that's fine, don't try and lead yourself by the hand or try and keep a grip of yourself, release this grip, nothing will happen. Sometimes a place may hold certain memories of failure, which makes us feel anxious, but this soon passes when we learn to accept how we feel and let go of that tension.
    If you truly accept how you feel in every situation and stop trying to keep a grip on yourself or looking for the easy exit, you will find that although you may feel uncomfortable at times, nothing bad happens to you, and in time your reactions lessen until you feel more able to cope, day by day. Anxiety loves avoidance, so take its power away, move forward and embrace these feelings of fear. This is the key. Moving towards your fears is far more productive than hiding from them. By continually hiding and running away from how you feel you are training your mind and body that there is danger in normally everyday activities. It is just responding to the signals you are giving it. So if you go towards your fears, allow yourself to feel this way, you are then telling it that it's fine, there is no danger here. You will cope with how you feel, again it is just a feeling brought on by excess adrenalin that always subside and in time your confidence begins to grow, it will never grow while you avoid, to find peace we must feel a bit of fear.
    Avoiding symptoms just does not work, as you must realise by now. You need to let all feelings be there, not to avoid them but to go through them, invite them even. This worked for me, I had faced my demons head on and realised this was the only way to stop fearing them. I ignored my body's instinct to avoid and started to embrace how I felt, I moved towards the feelings of apprehension. Eventually, I started to understand my condition so much more.
    I mention the word 'understanding' again, because this is the key to recovery. How can you not fear something you don't understand! How can you accept something that still scares you?
    Q.2 Will these feelings ever go away?
    Yes they will, once you understand why you feel like you do, you can then start to unmask a lot of the fears you hold about anxiety. There are so many myths about anxiety that it worries me just how many people are misinformed and truly believe they will never get better and that they will just have to live with this condition forever. Too many people spend years like I did, searching for that elusive miracle cure that just does not exist. Your body has been through a lot in the time you have had this condition. It maybe emotionally spent and feel so tired. None of this has done you any long term harm. Just see your body as running at 75% at the moment. In time when you learn to step out of your own way and start doing things the right way and changing your habits, it improves and starts to feel more healthy and refreshed. Letting your body recover at its own pace is the key. An overnight cure is impossible after what you have been through. But what a journey recovery can be when we allow it to happen.
    Understanding anxiety also takes away so much fear out of how we feel. A lot of anxiety is habit, a learned behaviour that can be reversed. Every stage and symptom has a logical explanation that can be explained. With less fear and more understanding, we also calm the constant worrying; it is the lack of information on the subject that keeps the worry cycle going. Constant worrying that we will never get better also adds to the belief that we will just have to live with it.
    Once we start to understand anxiety and use the tools we have learnt to cope with how we feel, the change can be dramatic. In my recovery, I found that the more knowledge I had and the more I understood my condition the easier it was to accept how I felt and get on with living. I started to lose the fear of my symptoms. Eventually they began to hold less power over me and I started to pay them less respect, my attention began to become more outward than inward.
    It is your desperation to rid yourself of how you feel that keeps your anxiety alive. The stress you put on yourself day in day out, the constant worrying and thinking about your condition, puts a tremendous pressure on your body. Is it any wonder you stay anxious? It's time to stop beating yourself up about how you feel and give your body the rest it craves.
    Knowledge is power. The less you fear your symptoms, the less they mean. This also stops the worry cycle you may find yourself in, which is the very thing that keeps anxiety going. You are bound to worry if you don't know what is wrong with you. That is why you need an explanation to help break this cycle.
    Q.3 Why do I find it so hard in social situations? I find it so hard to communicate with people.
    Is it any wonder we find it difficult to follow a conversation when all we are concerned about is ourself and how we feel. We can't concentrate on what the other person is saying because all we are concerned about is how we are feeling and how we may be coming across. I found myself trying to hold on to myself, trying not to crack. It was like acting out a part in a film. It was like being two separate people, one trying to hold a conversation, the other watching my body's reaction. Is it any wonder we struggle to fit in to the world around us?
    Once we find the courage to accept how we feel and try not to put too much importance on how we come across, we find it easier to follow what the other person is saying. We become less concerned about how we feel, which gives us more time to be interested in the situation we are in and we start to become more involved in the present.
    Q.4 Why do I seem to have so many scary / negative thoughts running around all day?
    The reason you seem to have your attention on yourself all day and it feels like there are hundreds ofthoughts running through your mind is because of all your confusion about how you feel. You go round in your mind all day long, looking for answers, trying to find a way out of this hell. Some people may even stay up all night reflecting on the whole day, trying to figure it all out. Mostly these arenegative or worrying thoughts and that's why they seem to come automatically and with so much force. When you are in an anxious state, emotions seem to be ten-fold. Everything magnifies, a little problem becomes massive, and something that you could dismiss when you were healthy, sticks around all day.
    Eventually thinking just becomes automatic; it becomes a habit. All day, every day, these thoughts seem to come before you even think them. Looking at it from another angle, when people meditate, they stop thinking for hours on end until it becomes a habit and they can go all day without a worrying thought. That is why they feel so refreshed.
    Not you, your thoughts just carry on and on and when your mind is tired, like it is now, it grasps hold of every thought, pulls them in and they seem to stick. Some people worry to the extent that they believe everything they feel is life threatening. A headache becomes a brain tumour, a stomach ache can become cancer and so on, and no matter how many times their doctor tells them there is nothing wrong with them, they are never quite convinced.
    If this is you, then realise these thoughts of illness are just figments of your imagination, created by your anxious state. Everything becomes magnified when we are anxious. Let these thoughts go, don’t react to them and see them as just that, thoughts that carry no weight whatsoever, no matter how loud they shout.
    When we try too hard to do ANYTHING, it seems to slip further from reach. This applies to ridding oneself of unwanted thoughts. The more you "try" to push them away, the longer they linger and the stronger their impact. When we welcome unwanted thoughts, they lose their significance and quickly diminish. When you impose a false sense of importance upon a thought, it will often appear more serious than it deserves.
    Time is a great healer, especially concerning this condition. I allowed any thought to be there and I did not react. When I did this, I noticed the scary thoughts seem to lose their edge. There is no need to fight them or try and rid yourself of scary thoughts, just say: come if you wish, I no longer care. Do not be thrown by these symptoms or this experience. Once you begin to recover, the mind and body settle down and these overwhelming thoughts disappear, along with the anxiety condition.
    Don’t ever think, "I must not think that". Let all thoughts come, do not run away from any of them. See them for what they are - thoughts - exaggerated because of the way you feel. They can do you no harm and they mean nothing. They won’t be around when you recover, so pay them no respect.
    Q.5 Why did anxiety choose me?
    Anxiety does not choose certain people. It is not something you just get like a cold. Anxiety is the result of your body being over worked, be it through long hours or stress at work, a problem or collection of them that you have been worrying about. Your nerves have taken on so much for a length of time and go 'bad' as many put it. If you work anything beyond it's capabilities, whether it be a blender, a vacuum cleaner or a car, it will break down or begin to clunk and run badly. Your body is the same. So anxiety is not an 'it'. It is not something your body wants to go through. It is your body telling you it can no longer work at the pressure you are putting it under. That is why it is important to take your symptoms with a pinch of salt and not to then get stressed about the way you feel, adding more stress and worry to an already tired body that craves for a break.

Advertisement