Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast growing willow for firewood

• 19-10-2006 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Have an acre of land behind a site we're about to start building on. Thinking of planting fast growing willow or some other fast growing tree for firewood, for use in the house. We can order it from UK e.g http://www.bowhayesfarm.co.uk.
    Anyone know of availability in Ireland. Or not sure if it is a good idea, advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrymaninld

Sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming you are just talking about making logs out of it and burning these (versus taking thinnings and making wood chip?). If you are thinking wood chip, it won't be cost effective as harvesting costs will be higher for such a small area.

Bear in mind it won't be very efficient if its not dried out properly.

I would suggest contacting Teagasc and COFORD offices to get the best advice.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Assumed right. Thinking of just making logs out of it. Thanks for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Willow and poplar have a high water content. while they grow quickly (depending on the site) it may be better to grow ash. The fuel return on an acre will be small over time. It may have more ecological value to plant a mixed woodland, (ash, hawthorn, sorbus, hazel, etc) and let it be. A windy path through this area will give you countless hours of enjoyment over the years, as well as providing a much needed habitat.

Using locally sourced seed for your plants if possible, or irish stock rather than importing.
    If you want willow why not take cuttings from local willow plants, they root v easily. Willow is a very important source of early nectar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You will need to get somebody in the know to do a site suitability test. There is no point in planting willow on a site that is not appropriate for willow growth - for example: what is the soil type (drainage, acidity, nutrient content, etc.) and is it suitable for willow growth? Don't worry though, there is pleanty of advice out there! As already mentioned you should try Teagasc and maybe COFORD. Other useful contacts might be Crann, Coillte and the Society of Irish Foresters.

Assuming all is well, you could buy your plants closer to home:

http://www.coilltenurseries.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 padraiggriffin

Oldtree wrote: »
    Willow and poplar have a high water content. while they grow quickly (depending on the site) it may be better to grow ash. The fuel return on an acre will be small over time. It may have more ecological value to plant a mixed woodland, (ash, hawthorn, sorbus, hazel, etc) and let it be. A windy path through this area will give you countless hours of enjoyment over the years, as well as providing a much needed habitat.

ash is a great wood for burning but wouldnt be a great option for planting unless you are ok with waiting 30 years for decent thickness.

go ahead with the willow, its quick growing and a relatively hard wood.
    willow will grow anywhere at all, you could buy them in any garden home at up to 8 years old or just as seeds but if you go out into the contry and throw a stone it will likely hit a willow, if you know what they look like you could get find of plant sized ones to dig up.
    could also try alder and birch trees.
    idealy once cut should store logs in a shed for 2 years to dry, using a high effecency stove for burning.

cant beat the turf though, talk to luke ming

ash is a great wood for burning but wouldnt be a great option for planting unless you are ok with waiting 30 years for decent thickness.

willow will grow anywhere at all, you could buy them in any garden home at up to 8 years old or just as seeds but if you go out into the contry and throw a stone it will likely hit a willow, if you know what they look like you could get find of plant sized ones to dig up.
    idealy once cut should store logs in a shed for 2 years to dry, using a high effecency stove for burning.

bit slow with the advice there PG you are only 6 years too late :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I have planted willow and it grows well down here but it is too nice to then cut down and burn! Taking cuttings and just sticking them in the damp ground will produce new plants. I have a lot of Alder which grows really fast and would probably have good woodburner sized logs within 10 years but worth trimming each year to produce good centre stems which I hope would grow quicker and easier to cut up. Coppicing Alder is the way I think as it sprouts really quickly from established roots. Not sure of the energy value against other woods so worth researching before you commit.
    Another fast grower is Sycamore which is like a weed and will produce good logs but slower than Alder. Seems to self seed all over the place so can be pulled up and replanted if done in first year. By coppicing the large mature roots will produce fast new growth once cut. As said above you need to season for a year before use.
    An acre may be a bit tight to get sufficient wood but anything is good renewable fuel source.

ya, just saw the date after posting :eek:
    better late than never though, just put in a back boiler stove myself so i was searching for stuff.
    i must plant a few acres to see what suits best in terms of quantity of wood/years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Well only 24 years till harvesting.

• Advertisement

plan on a 10 year or so rotation myself ;)

plan on a 10 year or so rotation myself ;)

see, i revived this thread from the dead:D

i have a good few ash which my grandfather planted back in the 40s - should be ready for cutting anytime now.

alders give a lots of wood quick but its not great for fuel, birch is better but takes slightly londer to grow, lot quicker than ash though.
    i have a decent pile of 2 or 3 year dried timber but will need a lot more to sustain for years, lets nope we dont get any other -10 degree winters, what a summer we have now though.

are you growing ash oldtree??

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Wonder how long it takes to dry out willow chippings, it grows very fast & can be coppiced every 2 or 3 yrs? If it can be dried out in 2 yrs, this would make it a very viable crop for harvesting as fuel.

I've just started recently really. Poplar ((serious grower) from cuttings but took a few years to bulk up) in the ground 2011/12 along with some ash.

3 types of willow cuttings and more poplar cuttings ready for next winter. Also my own ash seedlings located and ready to go next winter.

Ongoing supply of mature ash and sycamore (now coppiced) and lapsed hazel.

Ash is the top totty wood as far as I am concerned.

ongoing supply ?? do you have much land dedicated to mature ash trees, must need a few hectares with different generations of ash in order to keep up with constant demand ???

do you find the sycamore any good ??

managing a small family woodland and converting fields to wood production for our own use, thats the plan anyway. I only remove syacamore from woodland as trying to maintain native species and hope by doing so that will cut down on seed production. Ad hoc removal of ash and thinning.

Sycamore second to ash but a fine wood to burn, sparkles a bit. I dont poison roots so they regrow rapidly, waiting to see how they do over a 10 year period too.

have a look here for further stuff trees and forestry:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1529

• Doing SRC willow myself, this is the first year of growing, I picked stems from local trees and just stuck them into the ground.
    So far growth has been good and strong, even the "mis identified" plants are growing well! :confused: have no idea what they are.
    My plan is to do a five year rotation of wood chips to supplement the turf.

gota have da turf

So far growth has been good and strong, even the "mis identified" plants are growing well! :confused: have no idea what they are.

post a few close up photos and I'll give a go at ID for you.

• Advertisement

• Oldtree wrote: »
    post a few close up photos and I'll give a go at ID for you.

Here ya go, hopefully they're good enough to make an identification, cheers.

215130.jpg

215131.jpg

I was cutting stems and just continued along the section of hedge without realizing that it wasn't willow! :o

They do look like willow, look healthy too.

• Oldtree wrote: »
    They do look like willow, look healthy too.
    Thanks, I just assumed that willow only had long thin leaves, about half of the crop is this variety.

loads of hybrids all over the place, with quite a range of leaf shape from long and thin to short and fat. Very difficult to id the name of one specifically.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=willow+leaf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1145&bih=752&wrapid=tlif134372677021410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=uqQXUK6mJ8-4hAeOpYCACg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I plan on growing some willow on some waste/unused areas around a plantation... i would like to leave enough room to maybe feed willow with slurry but the downside to this is that i would loose ground to a roadway???
    just thinking if i planted the willow around the complete edge of the field in a row about 5ft out from the boundary i could drive the slurry tank centred over the stubbs following cutting every few years....

How important is feed..........or would too much kill it off?:eek:

• Here's a good source of info on growing willow (warning large PDF)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I obtained 500 hybrid willow setts from Bow Hayes earlier this year and planted them on .25 acre in late March.

All of them took. Most are not 4-5 foot high and abotu 10% are 7 foot high.

I intend to cut them down in the winter and get 3x 2-3 foot setts from them, and plant another .75 acres as a result.

Just wondering if I should cut them to the ground or leave a foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I think a foot is too much, check out clips of them being harvested......

How much for the 500?

• 2-4 inches
    I think a foot is too much, check out clips of them being harvested......

How much for the 500?

That's what I plan to do next year as well, should bring on a good number of stalks for chipping in four years time.

Don't forget to spray weedkiller over the area before the willow starts to regrow. I plan to replace much of my willow crop as I picked slow growing hybrids by mistake! :o:( :mad:

I have looked around the area and have tagged a few good source trees for willow stems. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Hi,

That willow guide that was linked to was very handy. It says a few inches.

I spaced mine at 90cm in each direction. I will be harvesting manually.

For the willow, I paid EUR800 including delivery, but that included 500 squares of plastic to put around the base.

I also ordered 500 canes and 500 transparent spiral guards via an Irish supplier. They had a good price and sourced the spirals for me. I ordered black ones by mistake so had to order again, but I can use the black ones for when I start planting native trees.

Next spring my only expense will be 1500 canes and spirals, although perhaps I should attempt it without them? Any experience of that? I was worried about rabbits etc getting at the shoots. I heard it is like sweets to them :) Any advice on this as I would like to avoid the expense. Athough the spirals are useful for protecting the willow when I am clearing the area.

I will not be using any weed killers or chemicals on the land, it is part of a larger 4.5 acre smallholding I am running. I have purchased an Ariens String Trimmer to keep growth down before the grass is crowded out.

Advertisement