Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a picture of a stranger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

What a great topic. Here is my take on it. Many photographers I know are big guys who don't look necessarily scary but so many of them tell me they are very wary about photographing people in public without asking first, and when it comes to a child in the shot they almost never ever take the shot. I can completely understand that and it makes a lot of sense. I don't look very threatening so I find it very easy to go up to perfect strangers and ask them can I take their picture, why I want to, and if they have an email address I can forward it on to. I love interacting with people so I don't mind asking someone first, in my experience I've never had anyone say no and I've never had anyone get hostile. T

he first boards photowalk I attended was at night and when we got to templebar someone spotted a guy covered in tats with a very "don't mess with me" look on his face, I chased after him and asked to take his picture. He let me and I went back to the group but the next day something happened that proved a little theory I have. Someone on the street might look hard as nails and unapproachable but at the end of the day they are just human and asking couldn't hurt. I posted his picture and 5 minutes later one of my friends said they knew him, a couple of hours later I was talking to the guy and he was so down to earth. His swastikas were not to signify white power or anything like that, it was in the same way its used in Hinduism. So the moral of the story is don't be afraid to ask, if you don't you could be missing a great photo-op. :)

6837392138_63fed2973c_c.jpg
    That's himself URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacylisa/6837392138/in/set-72157629228317340/"]Original Image[/URL :)

The last flickr comment says it all "Seen that chap in the Foggy Dew a couple of times then Penny's which is slightly less Rock and Roll haha. I'd never have the balls to ask him for a picture."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If you do the facebook thing, check, follow or like the Humans of Dublin project.

Love their daily postings.

Yeah that's a great idea and its executed really well too, although I've always been more of a fan of candid shots rather than posed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

here's a video of a guy talking about 'how to photograph complete strangers.

Here's one of a guy working on the Baltimore to Cape Clear ferry from last weekend-
    baltimore-cape-clear-ferry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Street portraits are only as hard as you make them, you can ask the person nicely and if they refuse then grand. Candid stuff is tricky at the best of times, you will offend people and you will get started on eventually(regardless of how polite you are about it). The best advice I heard about it was by this guy. He said be honest with your photography, if you want close in street shots of people then go get them, but get a wide lens(28-36) and shoot the way you want the pictures to come out. Tele candid portraits in my opinion are just bad. Take Capas advise and get close!

For inspiration on portrait stuff look up the 100 strangers project, loads of people do it. For candids then the videos before on Bruce gilden are spot on. This guy does the same thing, it's brave and it's offensive at times but to be honest some people are just born to be offended.

I shot some stuff in temple bar before at night with a flash, I was really worried before hand but you can see who wants their picture taken and who doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

it's offensive at times but to be honest some people are just born to be offended.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Wow. Wet out this evening into Shop street in Galway. Im staying here for work.

I took my 50mm .

Was very scarry I have to say. I was very nervous about doing it.

I first started to try and take a few sneeky pics. I did not have good results. I kind of felt a little creepy . Framing and focus issues as well. Not for me.

So I went on to shot street performers . Most where great. One ask for 50c before I took the photo. LOL. yeah right.

Then I went on to eyre square. Got a few really nice pics of some people. Old, young ,male and female . Each subject caught my eye. I asked 7 people and one girl said no. I still need to work on my connection with them. On hide sight I wish I engaged them more. I kind of ran off after I got the shot.

I dont have my dam camera connection lead to up upload. Will get them up with a link to Flickr tomorrow.
    Was very exciting .:)

Keep the advise coming. This is great.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    So I went on to shot street performers . Most where great. One ask for 50c before I took the photo. LOL. yeah right

50c to take a photo of someone as they're trying to make their living but you begrudge them it?

artyeva wrote: »
    50c to take a photo of someone as they're trying to make their living but you begrudge them it?

No. I had no change. Was not going to pay a tenner for the pic ..

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Then I went on to eyre square. Got a few really nice pics of some people. Old, young ,male and female . Each subject caught my eye. I asked 7 people and one girl said no. I still need to work on my connection with them. On hide sight I wish I engaged them more. I kind of ran off after I got the shot.

I dont have my dam camera connection lead to up upload. Will get them up with a link to Flickr tomorrow.
    Was very exciting .:)

Keep the advise coming. This is great.

It is exciting, isn't it? I'm pretty new to it myself (I'm practicing street-portraits for a future project) - you get a weird nervous rush when you ask somebody. I don't know why, though. Seems like something that shouldn't be a big deal...

I'm from Galway. There's a bloke who hangs around on Quay St who would make for a great portrait. Thin, middle-aged, long beard, black hair going grey. He's pretty friendly too. Keep an eye out for him. He's there most of the day so you won't miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I went out yesterday on my lunch with my camera, mainly to get some photos of the Lunch Time Cycle. I've wanted to get some street shots for a while but was too nervous to attempt it. I tried it yesterday and was fairly happy with the results. I stuck to touristy areas to try and blend in as a tourist. Didn't get any close up shots. There's some shots on my pix.ie account. It's an area of photography that I would like to get good at but need to build up more confidence. I don't think I would ever ask a stranger if I could take their photo.

• Advertisement

Stephen P wrote: »
    I went out yesterday on my lunch with my camera, mainly to get some photos of the Lunch Time Cycle. I've wanted to get some street shots for a while but was too nervous to attempt it. I tried it yesterday and was fairly happy with the results. I stuck to touristy areas to try and blend in as a tourist. Didn't get any close up shots. There's some shots on my pix.ie account. It's an area of photography that I would like to get good at but need to build up more confidence. I don't think I would ever ask a stranger if I could take their photo.

from my trip yesterday I found the approach important. A smile, eye contact and hello went a long way. Saying feck it(to myself) I most be bold. It was easy . You are flattering someone .

Going out again this weekend. My built in flash is over exposing the subject on Manual . flash Exposure comp on -5. Any flash tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 retes231

Paulw wrote: »
    Try this method -

Must try!! HAHA this guy is nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Its actually quite rude not to give these people anything when you are taking a photo. They are out there to earn money.
    Next time dont be such a tight arse and bring some change.

riiiiight. i must've taken you up wrong. in fairness, you can appreciate from the quote below how that comes across...;)
    One ask for 50c before I took the photo. LOL. yeah right.

Let's just let the whole money thing go, shall we?

It was a first outing, can't expect him to have all the angles covered.

7415743996_82d0344ffc.jpg

7415739370_b44a55a8bb.jpg

7415742662_0fb7ff3e55.jpg

7415745052_d85d519d1c.jpg

About the money thing. I wish I did not mention it now. But will know the next time. I will bring a few bob.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

About the money thing. I wish I did not mention it now. But will know the next time. I will bring a few bob.

I'm glad you mentioned it. I think it's important in relation to the pics you took.

No connection, no understanding. Random pics of strangers without feeling or context.

humberklog wrote: »

I'm glad you mentioned it. I think it's important in relation to the pics you took.

No connection, no understanding. Random pics of strangers without feeling or context.

I assume you're now going to show us the masterpieces you took on your first ever attempt at street portraits?

No? Of course not.

The first few attempts are a learning experience (I know because I'm still doing it). It's about plucking up the courage to do it more than anything else - striking up a rapport with your subjects only happens when you're comfortable with this type of photography.

What a mean-spirited post.

djgaillimh wrote: »
    What a mean-spirited post.

What a mean spirited attitude to taking photos of buskers (christ on a bike)! (50c FFS! When he should give them a quid, without being asked).

As for my own photos on the matter...well, they're there to be seen on pix and flickr.

First. Attempt.

Go easy.

Besides anything else, the point has already been made two or three times - and the guy already conceded it.

• Advertisement

I assume you're now going to show us the masterpieces you took on your first ever attempt at street portraits?

No? Of course not.

I think this was it...

42E1F0B9C39B44708DD8CBC164CFD1CA-500.jpg

Well... bearing in mind that I'm inexperienced and might be missing something, I'm not seeing the connection or understanding with the subject that you mentioned previously there. I mean... she is actually flipping you off.

It looks like you got caught sneaking a photo against her wishes from 10 feet away.

It's definitely a good scene, but not in the same vein of street portraiture.

Well... bearing in mind that I'm inexperienced and might be missing something, I'm not seeing the connection or understanding with the subject that you mentioned previously there. I mean... she is actually flipping you off.

It looks like you got caught sneaking a photo against her wishes from 10 feet away.

It's definitely a good scene, but not in the same vein of street portraiture.

It was taken 3feet away and took me 4 secs to compose. The pic is of the kid. She's just a noisey background. But there you go.

I never (hardly ever) use more than a 50mm lens.

Well, then your background is too distracting and your subject doesn't stand out enough. All the drama is in the finger and from there the eye is drawn to the girl's eyes.

So the points of interest actually lead away from the subject. For the viewer, the child is an afterthought.

You see? Nobody gets it right on their first attempt. ;)

And when I get these portrait-filled rolls of Portra developed, they're going to be sh1t too. Such is life.

Well, then your background is too distracting and your subject doesn't stand out enough. All the drama is in the finger and from there the eye is drawn to the girl's eyes.

So the points of interest actually lead away from the subject. For the viewer, the child is an afterthought.

You see? Nobody gets it right on their first attempt. ;)

And when I get these portrait-filled rolls of Portra developed, they're going to be sh1t too. Such is life.

Yep, you're right. I think I'll pack it all in now. Back to engineering so...

It wasn't a bad near first attempt though...other than what you rightly pointed out.

Ah it's a very good photo, man. I just wanted to turn the tables on you :P

Ah it's a very good photo, man. I just wanted to turn the tables on you :P

But that's not that easy:D.

Hey my point, which in fairness I lost myself, is that the OP should have been ready to throw a few sponds to the busker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 brianbaru

Personally, I think it's always better to ask. You could scare the hell out of them lurking behind a lamp post photographing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

a lot of Irish people seem to think it's illegal to take their photo without permission.

• Advertisement

So when I do present, how should it be presented?

Looking at them now they do feel them lacking alot. Would one have a paragragh alongside?

I'd say try to communicate with your subject a little. I think the flaws in these photos are really just because it was your first attempt and you were getting over the hump of actually asking somebody - so there wasn't much time to think about context and composition. I suspect many of mine are going to be similar when I get them developed.

Say something funny when you take their photo, ask them a question, make them think and then snap it while they're thinking or smiling. Posed photos can be a little lacking in character and emotion, so try to bring some element of spontaneity back into it. You want to have some kind of emotional connection with the subject when you shoot it, so that the viewer can then form that connection with the photo too.

And be mindful of your backgrounds too.

I got a really great piece of advice when I started taking portraits and that was to find your location first, with nice lighting and something interesting going on in the background (even if it's just a colourful background that will look nice when blurred out), and then wait for a suitable subject to wander into that zone, rather than seeking out a subject and then taking their photo where they're standing.

I'm no expert though and I'm still trying to put all of this into practice myself.

Advertisement