Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Walking Dead Season 2

• 18-10-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Just watched the first episode there.It picks up 2 days after season 1 ended with the band on the road.

Not a whole lot happens in it tbh.I would have thought for a new season premiere they would have done something a bit more spectacular or to grab people by the throat but no.It wasnt bad but would really need to begin to ramp it up a bit imo.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

still I read that it broke cable records for a season premier.
    Have yet to watch it so ill let you know what I think after I do.

still looking forward to Hell on wheels, might be this years zombie hit :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Were they all that twangy last year?

Not very exciting, pretty cheesy in places actually. But I like zombies.

The ending was a bit predictable. You knew something was going to happen. Was clearly bad parenting, never mind the zombie apocalypse!

yes watched it the other night. better than I tought it would be. But yes not a whole lot happens.

still I love that zombie charity walk, wonder if they got many sponsers :) Good secne but the rest of the epp was meh..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Having got really into the series I read all 91 of the ongoing comic book series.

The comic book series was un-put-downable - I lost hours plowing through them one after the other. Had to just read one more, then another one, then another, then suddenly it's nearly 4am in the morning....... Having got used to certain characters in different films and soaps who are somehow un-kill-offable, I was stunned time and time again by the things that happened in the comic book - danger is at every corner and no one is ever safe - ever.

After feverishly reading all of the comic books in one foul swoop, I found episode 6 of the series to be somewhat lame. It almost felt like watching Eastenders or some overly sentimental American drama. I mean, for a zombie apocalypse ridden world there seems to be a serious lack of zombies at times and it could nearly be about a bunch of people who go to visit uncle Hershel in the country.

Another less than laudable facet is the fact that they all look so clean and fashionable considering the circumstances. Their hair is perfectly styled - just like they just stepped out of the salon, their clothes are squeeky clean and the women look like they have make up on in spite of everything.

The series severely lacks the grittiness and realism of the comics. In the comics you can feel the desperation of the people throughout and there's an overwhelming feeling that anyone in the group could crack at any second - kill themselves, kill someone else or even just walk into a bunch of zombies to be eaten alive - not to mention the possibility of being munched on anywhere/anytime by a flesh hungry zombie. The zombies are predictable. The people in the comics are irratic, desperate and tottering on the brink of out and out insanity.

I'll still keep watching the series, though not in any way remotely as enthusiatically as I read the comics. The series is very slow paced comparitively. The comic, on the other hand, has it's foot on the gas pedal 90% of the time. Even when there's a quiet moment you know it's not safe to relax.

Anyway - highly recommend the comic to anyone who is remotely interested in the series - it is un-put-downable. I am only sad that I now have to wait a month between each issue - one issue a month is just not enough to sink your teeth into!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Having got really into the series I read all 91 of the ongoing comic book series.

The comic book series was un-put-downable - I lost hours plowing through them one after the other. Had to just read one more, then another one, then another, then suddenly it's nearly 4am in the morning....... Having got used to certain characters in different films and soaps who are somehow un-kill-offable, I was stunned time and time again by the things that happened in the comic book - danger is at every corner and no one is ever safe - ever.

After feverishly reading all of the comic books in one foul swoop, I found episode 6 of the series to be somewhat lame. It almost felt like watching Eastenders or some overly sentimental American drama. I mean, for a zombie apocalypse ridden world there seems to be a serious lack of zombies at times and it could nearly be about a bunch of people who go to visit uncle Hershel in the country.

Another less than laudable facet is the fact that they all look so clean and fashionable considering the circumstances. Their hair is perfectly styled - just like they just stepped out of the salon, their clothes are squeeky clean and the women look like they have make up on in spite of everything.

The series severely lacks the grittiness and realism of the comics. In the comics you can feel the desperation of the people throughout and there's an overwhelming feeling that anyone in the group could crack at any second - kill themselves, kill someone else or even just walk into a bunch of zombies to be eaten alive - not to mention the possibility of being munched on anywhere/anytime by a flesh hungry zombie. The zombies are predictable. The people in the comics are irratic, desperate and tottering on the brink of out and out insanity.

I'll still keep watching the series, though not in any way remotely as enthusiatically as I read the comics. The series is very slow paced comparitively. The comic, on the other hand, has it's foot on the gas pedal 90% of the time. Even when there's a quiet moment you know it's not safe to relax.

Anyway - highly recommend the comic to anyone who is remotely interested in the series - it is un-put-downable. I am only sad that I now have to wait a month between each issue - one issue a month is just not enough to sink your teeth into!!!

Where did you buy them or did you download online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Really enjoyed the first series of this, watching the second but the pace has definitely slowed down - they must have had to rein in the budget after the Atlanta scenes they shot in the first season, which would have rivalled a lot of Hollywood movies for their scale. There have been some really good, emotionally wrenching scenes, like
    the death of Otis
    but also a huge amount of the characters sitting around & discussing their relationships & feelings with each other, which I guess is par for the course to a certain extent in a TV series, but not necessarily what one wants from a zombie flick. Less chat more splat (as in the sound a zombie's head makes when it collides with a baseball bat) would be my hope for season 3 (assuming it gets one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I really like S2, and look forward to it every week.

So maybe I'm deficient, but hey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Season 1 was a bit of a disappointment.

Season 2 has been piss poor thus far.Best thing about it is Norman Reedus however I did enjoy
    Merl making a fleeting appearence in episode 6.The show needs more Michael Rooker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Don't know how you could possibly be disappointed with season 1, thought it was amazing myself, very hard to fault it (once you suspend your disbelief at the basic premise of the series to begin with) but season 2 is definitely a let down with regard to
    Merl - I so wanted to actually see the scene where he sawed off & cauterized his hand, while simultaneously killing zombies, rather than being told about it by the other characters. Interesting that when Daryl has a vision about him after his horse fall he appears with all limbs intact

Custardpi wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the first series of this, watching the second but the pace has definitely slowed down - they must have had to rein in the budget after the Atlanta scenes they shot in the first season, which would have rivalled a lot of Hollywood movies for their scale. There have been some really good, emotionally wrenching scenes, like
    the death of Otis
    but also a huge amount of the characters sitting around & discussing their relationships & feelings with each other, which I guess is par for the course to a certain extent in a TV series, but not necessarily what one wants from a zombie flick. Less chat more splat (as in the sound a zombie's head makes when it collides with a baseball bat) would be my hope for season 3 (assuming it gets one).

It's happening...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/25/the-walking-dead-renewed-for-a-third-season-by-amc/108444/

• Advertisement

I really like S2, and look forward to it every week.

So maybe I'm deficient, but hey..

No, it's okay - but the comic book is far superior. If you read one or two you'll get hooked very quickly.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Where did you buy them or did you download online?

Well, I didn't buy them.......... :rolleyes:

Well, I didn't buy them.......... :rolleyes:

I hear ya barkin big dogg... ruff ruff :)

I'm just worried if I read the comics i'll loose interest in the tv series.

I hear ya barkin big dogg... ruff ruff :)

I'm just worried if I read the comics i'll loose interest in the tv series.

I think you should be more worried about losing your whole weekend completely oblivious to the whole world and everyone in it!!

Happened to me......

I think you should be more worried about losing your whole weekend completely oblivious to the whole world and everyone in it!!

Happened to me......

Duly noted thanks... I'll go order some provisions and water :D

Duly noted thanks... I'll go order some provisions and water :D

Good idea to get a few light bulbs so you don't have to walk through any rooms in the dark after.....the dark is a bit scary after....though the light may attract them so you need to be thinking about that too.....might be handy to have a few kitchen knives and baseball bats close by at all times too.....you never know......could be a zombie apocalypse at any moment........haahaha.........bunch of weirdos with a fetish for zombies.......at least I'm not alone......the missus thought I'd lost the plot the way I was plowing through those comics.............
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carrow Rd

I found myself barely sticking with the first series and thought I'd give the second a chance. Found it tedious in the extreme. It's off my planner now and my life has improved greatly!

well I thought season 2 epp 7 was the best thing I had ever seen on TV. What a place to finish up at for the break. not back till feb.

well I thought season 2 epp 7 was the best thing I had ever seen on TV. What a place to finish up at for the break. not back till feb.

Ya, it was okay.

A lot more diluted, in terms of its horror, than the comic book.

Thought the way that Sophia thing was dragged out accross 6 episodes was a bit annoying - incidentally she's still alive in the comic - unlike Shane who was shot in the head by Rick's son very early on..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

I have to be honest I think it is one of the best shows on TV at the moment ....The Zombies are really good ...I am only mid way through Series 2 though ...I think it is back on in Feb and I cannot wait!!! I actually dont go out so I cant watch it!!!

I have to be honest I think it is one of the best shows on TV at the moment ....The Zombies are really good ...I am only mid way through Series 2 though ...I think it is back on in Feb and I cannot wait!!! I actually dont go out so I cant watch it!!!

Yes. It is annoying to have to wait so long between episodes!

ah at least we get a longer season this time around.

Advertisement