Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much does a simple solicitors letter cost?

• 19-03-2007 1:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My car was damaged when I parked beside a building site, they spilt cement on the paintwork. I have sent letters to the building company with photographs and quotes for the repair but got no response. I want to get this sorted properly so I think I need a letter from a solicitor to make sure they deal with this – but how much will it cost me roughly to get a solicitor to send a letter and make sure I get my car repaired?

I can draft the bones of the letter myself and provide photos etc.
    Can anyone recommend a friendly solicitor in Dublin that will do this for me for a reasonable sum?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm not sure that there is such thing as a simple solicitor's letter. They would probably want to take your case before sending letters, which may mean a brief fee, consultation fee, etc. I don't think many solicitors would send out a letter without taking instructions as to its contents, and such a letter is usually the first step in the commencement of proceedings. They might also want to give you advice about the merits of your case etc.

The best way to find out is to ring a few of them. You can find most solicitor's contact details here. It might be a good idea to choose a few small firms in your area, ring them up and ask them for a quick quote, what would be involved etc.

If your claim is quite small, you might want to try contact the building company again (by registered post) or speak to someone in the small claims court before engaging a solicitor as the cost of a solicitor could outweigh the benefit.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

yeah, a small claim only costs €9 and you can do it on-line now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I might try to Registered Letter first and then try the small claims cort if that fails...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The small claims court has no jurisdiction in a case like this. It can only deal with consumer disputes. Even with a very short letter, a solicitor would have to sit you down, take notes of your story and then draft the letter. It would take about half an hour. The solicitor owes you a duty of care when he takes instructions from you and is at risk of being sued by you if he does not advise you properly. I would expect you to pay from €100 upwards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jo King wrote:
    The small claims court has no jurisdiction in a case like this. It can only deal with consumer disputes.

I believe it does. The District Court Rules state that a small claim is:

(1) in relation to a consumer contract
    (2) for non personal injuries tort cases where the claimant is not a company
    (3) landlord and tenant cases to recover deposits etc from a landlord (which can't be dealt with by the Private Residential Tenancies Board)

I think it can deal with claims up to €2000 and costs €15. You can find more information at Order 53A of the District Court Rules.

The director of consumer affairs website seems to concur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭morbo

You should just stay home and watch Sky One during the day time.

"Are you fat, bald, stupid and lazy? And have you recently had nothing really happen to you that we can pretend was a serious incident? Well, we here at Soulless and McEvil can make you a fortune!"

Now those are the kind of guys you need on your side! If they can win some of the ridiculous cases they advertise about, then they can definitely win your case, as you actually do deserve to be compensated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hahahahahaahh!

Very good idea I must look into that, thank you!
    Any suggestions of such firms in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Look in the phonebook! Loads of them listed.

Advertisement