Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's Start - run - charmap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

looksee wrote: »
    That's Start - run - charmap
    No run with windows 7 but yea same thing.

No run with windows 7 but yea same thing.

Ah yes, I'm still in the dark ages with XP :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

don't tell anybody i was here but i still haven't properly figured out the word " formatting" a thumb drive or disc .Is it simply erasing anything on it or is it a "special preparation" ???? Grateful !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

BBDBB wrote: »
    try híttíng thé kéy whilst yóu hóld down the "Alt Gr" key

my euro sign is the alternative to the number 4 and $ sign, again pressing Alt Gr is what accesses it €

I needed to know about the fadas but I went the long way round. In MS Word I clicked:

insert/symbol

and then entered all the ones I wanted. Then I copied them all one by one, then I opened my clipboard up and just clicked whichever one I needed as I was going along. Problem is they all disappear when I close down. Now I'm looking for this GR key which I don't see. For the Euro sign I just hit Ctrl/Alt/4 at the same time.

• Advertisement

On my keyboard the Gr actually says AltGr and it is immediately to the right of the space bar, so presumably what you are doing is much the same as Gr4

paddyandy wrote: »
    don't tell anybody i was here but i still haven't properly figured out the word " formatting" a thumb drive or disc .Is it simply erasing anything on it or is it a "special preparation" ???? Grateful !
    yup, it just means wiping everything off it.

Decent guide.

Format01.png?323f2c

The letters are important^^^ the (C: ) (E: ) etc, they're the drive letters, they're handy for keeping track if you're using a load of different externals USBs, if you plug you're thumb drive into your computer while on the "My computer" screen it'll pop up in front of ya.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I needed to know about the fadas but I went the long way round. In MS Word I clicked:

insert/symbol

and then entered all the ones I wanted. Then I copied them all one by one, then I opened my clipboard up and just clicked whichever one I needed as I was going along. Problem is they all disappear when I close down. Now I'm looking for this GR key which I don't see. For the Euro sign I just hit Ctrl/Alt/4 at the same time.
    It's directly to the right of the space bar...unless you have a non-standard keyboard.

looksee wrote: »
    On my keyboard the Gr actually says AltGr and it is immediately to the right of the space bar, so presumably what you are doing is much the same as Gr4
    Aiyeee beaten to it. Should have refreshed.

To be clearer with the run box, when you hit Start (although no start in windows 7 either, it's a flashing windows logo Orb type thing) you have to type run in the search box and then type whatever your're after...charmap. An added step.

Anyway...

Isn't it funny how you are looking at something (for years) and ya still don't see it? There it flippin' is, the Alt Gr key looking straight at me and I have never seen it, nor ever used it, nor ever told what it was for. So I have now searched 'Help' for more info and now know that you add the shift key for upper case letters. Aww thanks! I luv youze guys!!! :D

I wonder what Gr stands for? Probably something obvious, now I have asked...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I've had a look at Wikipedia and it would seem to mean Graphic and Alt would be alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I tend to use (Ctrl and) Alt key to the left of the space bar, it seems to do the same thing as regards to fadas and the Euro sign.

I say seems to, as I have not explored all possibilities as yet.

Thanks for that Rubes. I just used Ctrl/Alt and in went the fádá. Yay!

Thanks for that Rubes. I just used Ctrl/Alt and in went the fádá. Yay!

Well it was told to me and I am only helping the message on it's way. :)

'Fraid I need more help please. :o I have 25 pages typed in MS Word (2002/dinosaur version) and want to number the pages from 1-22 but when I insert page numbers they all get numbered. I tried deleting the last few but then they all disappeared. Any slick and easy way to do this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

'Fraid I need more help please. :o I have 25 pages typed in MS Word (2002/dinosaur version) and want to number the pages from 1-22 but when I insert page numbers they all get numbered. I tried deleting the last few but then they all disappeared. Any slick and easy way to do this please?
    You could change the font, the font size and play around with the page margins (you should get away with 5mm margin left and right. Go no less 10mm top and botton then print off one page and see if any of the text is missing.

Thanks Galen, I understand what you say. I had to have this finished a couple of days ago so I just took the unnumbered pages off and saved them as a separate file and then numbered all the others. A long and winding road but it does the job. Ta very much.

I hate Word! Its a ridiculously opinionated program :D Trying to get a bit of text and a couple of photographs onto a page is like rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I miss WordPetfect.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

What about Word Assistant? I used to give training courses in that, it was simple and uncomplicated *reminises*:pac:

• Advertisement

I haven't heard of either Word Perfect or Word Assistant and I've always used Word. Are they not around any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Word perfect is undergoing a rebirth. Corel bought it over so I expect to see Adore Word Perfect making inroads into Microsoft near monopoly on wordprocessors.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Word will automatically number pages sequentially so if you remove a page Word will adjust to this. What you need to look at it Section Breaks :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Word will automatically number pages sequentially so if you remove a page Word will adjust to this. What you need to look at it Section Breaks :)

Nick
    Try Libreoffice suite - it's free but a big download at 200mb, it will take 15 minutes on a 2.5meg connection to download http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=win-x86&lang=en-GB&version=3.5.2

I have another computer problem. Remember, I don't know all the jargon and I don't know what goes on inside the mah-cheen either so words of one syllable would be helpful! :o When I press the button on the computer tower to start it up, the button flashes on and off and the computer won't come on. At this stage I can only switch it off by holding the button in for about 4 seconds. It takes several tries to get the computer started. When it is on, it sounds like a Massey Ferguson starting up. The computer is in a spare bedroom. We can hear it's 'engine' when we are downstairs in the living room. Is it about to die on me?

If you're forced to do a hard shutdown (4 seconds) then technical help, it sounds like your hard drive is dying at the very least - get help NOW.

Ditto what Galen said, get it looked at now before it does go 'poof' on you. I didn't and I lost a lot of stuff that i can't replace.

Is it a Dell?

Their systems/hardrives do that real loud knocking when they start to fail. I've never heard it on any other machine like that.

Theirs a really simple test to confirm its the harddrive, on my phone now so will put it up later....if yoyo doesnt beat me to it.:-)

I've 3 words for everyone - backup backup backup. Quite simply get yourselves a nice big external hard drive (Argos 1TB for 128 Euro) for all your documents, music, pictures and videos. It's well worth the money in the long run because hard drives are built like a record player - they die hard and fast.

• Advertisement

Theirs a really simple test to confirm its the harddrive
    I'm guessing your on XP, 7 is the same anyway.

Guide with pics.

Advertisement