Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an ADSL Gateway/Modem router

• 16-10-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I just had a quick chat with Linksys online. They suggest getting an ADSL2+ router would improve things...

Linksys: Did your ISP provide any dedicated speed?
    Me: 8MB
    Linksys (30047E): It should work normally
    Me: With ADSL2+?
    Linksys (30047E): Yes
    Me: That's fine. Thanks for checking for me.
    Linksys (30047E): But it is not ADSL2+ device, you won't get full 8Mbps speed
    Me: The speed is up and down a lot.
    Linksys (30047E): Yes that's correct because BEFDSR41W is not a ADSL2+ device
    Me: I suppose things would improve if I got an ADSL2+ device then?
    Linksys (30047E): Yes
    Me: Ok. Thank you very much for your time. Bye.
    Linksys (30047E): Welcome!

Would they stop all the disconnects and improve speeds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Who is your ISP, and is it ADSL2+? eircom and all the resellers are ADSL, only BT's up to 24M, Smart and Magnet do ADSL2+ (that I know of).

If you're on ADSL2+, and using an ADSL modem, then that could well be an issue as the modem might be trying to sync at a higher speed than it's capable of, hence the drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

With BT and I have recently changed to their Kilkenny 24Mb service, but when they tested the line they said I could only get 8MB, which is the max of the Linksys BEFDSR41W ADSL Gateway, so I suppose that's why they could only get a max of 8Mb. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did they not supply you with a new ADSL2+ modem then? They probably should have, in order to use the service.

They did offer me one at the discount price of €49.99, but I thought I would try out my own one.
    I would rather stick with a Linksys one as I have been using Linksys networking gear for six years or so without any problems and think they're great.

Was looking at Linksys WAG354G, WAG200G and WRT54G. Just need to decide which one is the best/fastest all in gateway.

Although, I just saw this... WAG160N

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk can be good for user reviews.

• Advertisement

I have noticed that speeds are generally worse at night. I assume this is due to the contention ratio as more people go online after coming home increasing. Would a new ADSL2+ modem improve speeds in this regard?

Modem arrived about 45 minutes ago. About to set it up. I suppose I should use all of the bits that came with it, like the micro filter and cables etc?

Will let you know how it goes later.

Well I have had this new modem for week now... WAG160N

All in all I am very impressed. Were as I would suffer numerous dropped connections and speed losses everyday around this sort of time, I am no longer suffering anywhere near as much as before.
    I have very rarely reset the modem to get a good connection and speeds have been markedly better. Although I do notice a slight drop in speed around this time, but only down to 4MB at the worst so far.

I'm very glad I took the step and bought it. :D

Now to post some speed test results in the other thread.

Next week I will be contacting BT again and asking them to check how capable my line is and I fully expect them to say something in excess of the 8MB they quoted me a couple of months ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kleefarr wrote: »
    Well I have had this new modem for week now... ....................
    Next week I will be contacting BT again and asking them to check how capable my line is and I fully expect them to say something in excess of the 8MB they quoted me a couple of months ago.[/QUOTE]

Your line stats availabe from the Linksys should give you a good indication of what your line is capable of.

I can't find them on the modem interface. :(
    My old BEFDSR41W had a page where it was shown, but I can't see them anywhere on this one. I would have thought that they would be there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have noticed that speeds are generally worse at night. I assume this is due to the contention ratio as more people go online after coming home increasing. Would a new ADSL2+ modem improve speeds in this regard?
    It can also be down to increased noise levels at night due to street lighting and other sources. My own SNR margin starts to drop pretty much as soon as it starts to get dark, and I've been monitoring it over a few months now and notice it starting earlier as the nights draw in. I'm lucky in that my router (a Cisco) hangs on for grim death before resynching, but some others might drop the connection and resynch at a lower rate as a result.

Here's mine today, for example ...

107qkja.jpg

As others have said, if you're not on an ADSL2+ enabled connection an ADSL2+ modem won't make a jot of difference, nor will it cause any problems either as others have said. ADSL and ADSL2+ are backwards compatible. Pretty much any ADSL modem or ADSL router/gateway bought in recent times is ADSL2+ capable.

kleefarr wrote:
    With BT and I have recently changed to their Kilkenny 24Mb service

That should be ADSL2+ shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That should be ADSL2+ shouldn't it?
    Sorry, yes, I hadn't spotted that. I seem to have missed reading a post or two of yours where you said you'd got a new modem already :D

See this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=56974440 to see how to get the line stats from your router. they've hidden them for some obscure reason in this model.

Also try downloading RouterStats from here http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and look at how your line stats look over a period when you're getting the disconnects / slow speeds.

Advertisement