Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabouts

• 08-06-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ok I'm actually still shaking over what happened me earlier on a roundabout.

I'm driving on the N81 towards Templeogue. I come to the Spawell roundabout and I want to take a right turn to head over towards Knocklyon. Indicator on, go on the roundabout, come around towards my exit so now I'm facing my exit, drive on. Obviously coz I'm on the roundabout I have right of way. Other road users coming from Templeogue are stopped because I have right of way.

Next thing this ****ing IDIOT drives straight through the roundabout and she is flying through the roundabout, she just zooms onto it. It all happened so fast I couldn't believe what was happening, she didn't even look right to see what was coming (i.e. me) - to her she was on a main road and no roundabout existed. She had L plates up and there was someone in the car with her. I jam on the brakes and I manage to get the car to a stop. The stop was so sudden that my handbag on the front seat goes flying onto the floor, the drawer under the passenger seat goes flying open. I manage to stop within I'd say a metre of her car.

If I hadn't reacted so quickly I could have driven straight into her car door. I start beeping my horn at her in my anger. And do you know what the ****ing BITCH does?! She gives me a disgusted look as if it's MY fault and she drives off!!!! ****ing thick ignorant stupid bitch! I'm there sitting on the roundabout in absolute shock, every other car on the roundabout has stopped as well, nobody moves, I could just feel everybody looking on in shock and wondering if I'm gonna even move my car coz I'm in such shock.

Anyway I manage to pull myself together and drive straight to my exit but I'm going like 10 mph coz I was so shaken up. If I had been able to get her reg plate I would've and rang the gardai straight away to report her. ****ing idiot like that should not be allowed on the roads. What the hell is with people and roundabouts?!

To top it all off then on the way back I am on the Red Cow and stopped in traffic and this god damn Roma woman is there begging. And with her are her buddies with the windscreen washer brushes. Great I say, not only do I have to try and avoid this stupid begger woman but now I have to try and avoid those idiot windscreen washer boys as well! Quick check that all windows are up and doors are locked so I'm safe in my car.

Anyway, I would never ever give any of those people money and I can't understand why people do so anyway I pretend to read a paper that I find in my car. Next thing yer woman is at my window saying stuff (I dunno what) so I just continue to ignore her. She still is standing there after a few seconds and then one of the men come along with his washer thing, stands there looking at me (I'm still ignoring him), then yer woman walks off and yer man starts washing my windscreen and I'm like WTF!! Thankfully the lights go green and I start beeping my horn and he moves away.

WHY are these people allowed to beg on our roads? When the gardai see them begging, they should be just deported immediately. And why do those idiot washer fellas just start washing people's windscreens when you don't ask them to. It doesn't matter if you gesture wildly for them to stop washing the windscreen, they just ignore you.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Just turn on the windscreen wipers, that'll stop them trying to clean it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hi Chris, you know I thought of that before and to turn on my own windscreen water-squirter thingys but I'd be afraid that they'd try and break my wipers then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Hi Chris, you know I thought of that before and to turn on my own windscreen water-squirter thingys but I'd be afraid that they'd try and break my wipers then!
    These are a good deterrent against anyone trying to get too close to your windscreen at a road junction

Yvon1927356.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Indicator on, go on the roundabout, come around towards my exit so now I'm facing my exit, drive on.
    Agreed, the other wan was wrong to try and overtake you on the roundabout.

Did you indicate left as you approached the exit you were taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭haveabadday

Great idea, Get the Water Gun on them!!!!!!!!!!!! that will make them shift!!!!!
    as for L Drivers!!!!!!!!!!!! shouldnt be on the bxxxxxx road!!! Only bxxxxx Country that I know where L drivers can drive on Main Roads!!!!!!!!!! Come on wheres the sense! asking for trouble...:(

• Advertisement

Yep I did, after I passed the second exit I put on my left indicator.

It wouldn't have mattered if I didn't have the indicator on at all to her - she didn't even look right, she was just looking straight ahead and floored it through the roundabout. This girl did not even see me like until I had to jam on the brakes and beeped her.

Even on the indicator subject - I see people ALL the time not using their indicators but I still wouldn't enter a roundabout even if they weren't indicating coz who knows they might just not bother to use indicators and they may be turning off at an exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The other wan didn't overtake the OP on the roundabout. The other wan entered the roundabout without even looking to her right (if she had done so she'd have seen the OP approach). It seems the silly bint simply didn't realise what a roundabout was.

I've also suffered these morons who make dreadful mistakes and then give YOU the evil eyes!

murphaph wrote: »
    The other wan didn't overtake the OP on the roundabout. The other wan entered the roundabout without even looking to her right (if she had done so she'd have seen the OP approach). It seems the silly bint simply didn't realise what a roundabout was.

I've also suffered these morons who make dreadful mistakes and then give YOU the evil eyes!
    Yah she didn't overtake me, she entered the roundabout without even looking. And to make matters worse, it couldn't have been more obvious which direction I was going in. I was facing my exit, heading straight for it like, there was no question on where I was going.

She just flew through the roundabout, she didn't even see me til I beeped her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP you seem to have a few points here

On the bad driving at roundabouts.... I am afraid you see this all the time, I have had people coming at me the wrong way before now

On the ' sqeegee guys ' , I dislike them too , just ignore them

On the the ' Romany woman ' was this the ' omnipresent ' one legged Romany woman that seems to be present on every major intersection in Dublin at the same time ? I have seen here on the M50/M1, N4 /Newcastle lghts , Palmerstown lights .... she can be very aggressive for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Just turn on the windscreen wipers, that'll stop them trying to clean it :D

I was in a rental car the other day and someone started (in spite of my protests) washing the windscreen.. it was at this stage that I discovered that all new VW Golfs appear to come with automatic wipers!

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

I have another roundabout story. Travelling along the dual carriageway from Oranmore to Galway a few months back. I was in the righthand lane heading towards claregalway. Went onto the roundabout. Next thing a bus came flying along the left lane. Problem was he took a straight line and sandwiched me between himself and the roundabout. I saw what was happening and stopped. Luckily no one coming behind me. There was only minor damage to the wing mirror. Went around the roundabout as the bus did not stop. Flashed the lights at the bus and beeped the horn from behind. Still continued along. Went to the garda station in Oranmore to report it. Garda did not seem concerned that there was a bus on the road that was driving dangerous or had left the scene of an accident. Instead I had to provide my licence and insurance. They only followed up on the company to make sure they covered the cost of the damage. No interest in following the standard of driving. When I spoke to the driver after he said that "he didn't see me". He was in a rush to get a bus tour back to the train station. I said it was good job I wasn't on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I regularily travel the route from Park West to Ballinteer and will usually take the N81 route rather then the M50. With three roundabouts to negotiate you are gaurenteed to meet with at least two idiots who don't know how to operate on a roundabout - things like no indicators, incorrect use of indicators, bad lane disciplane, people who think those entering roundabouts have right of way (Continentals?) or simply drivers who just don't give a fig about anyone else.

Perhaps the OP may take some comfort in the sure knowledge that such morons will almost certainly be removing themselves from the gene pool in the very near future - espically if they happen to try the same thing on a roundabout while at the same time weasel faced boy racer in his crappy tinted toyata glanza is also present.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

dogmatix wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP may take some comfort in the sure knowledge that such morons will almost certainly be removing themselves from the gene pool in the very near future - espically if they happen to try the same thing on a roundabout while at the same time weasel faced boy racer in his crappy tinted toyata glanza is also present.

Whilst removing people like this from the gene pool is generally a good thing, unfortunately they often take good people with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Should overtaking be allowed on roundabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

I don't live to far from the Spawell roundabout and use it occasionally. IMHO it is one of the most dangerous roundabouts in south Dublin after the Walkinstown roundabout of course.

The darting out in front of oncoming drivers is common but beware the drivers in the left lane who also want to turn right and do a 360 on the roundabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Take their reg and description of the car and call Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805 and let the Gardai deal with stupid idiots like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm not so sure the Walkinstown roundabout is so dangerous. Sure it's big with many exits but i've never seen an accident there and it is actually easier to judge when to nip into the traffic flow then any other big multi roundabout I know.

I'm speaking as a driver of course - I bet it is a nightmare for cyclists. The leopardstown roundabout is another big multi exit roundabout and that was scary enough on a bicycle. I don't think I would chance my arm at walkinstown on a bike.

Are there many recorded accidents there?

According to this article, these is an average of 1 per day as stated by the guards.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055222652.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I've had two serious "almost" incidents on that Spawell roundabout. First was when I'd only had my first motorbike a few weeks. Exact same thing you describe - going round the roundabout, guy just drives straight out without looking. Of course I'm an inexperienced biker on a wet roundabout, I jam on and fall on my ass. Hurt a bit. The guy didn't even notice me.

Second time was almost the same thing except as I passed the first exit, a girl came out of that exit in the left-hand lane, indicating to go right (i.e. towards the M50). Of course, when I cut straight across her to take my exit (the third one), there was beeping and incredulous looks from her (in my rear-view mirror).

Question, whats the rule of the roundabout for a cyclist.

There is a roundabout in Templeogue, near St. Mary's Rugby ground where the cycle lane goes on the outside of the roundabout. I always signal my intent at each exit as I go around it. However, should I assume that a cyclist should stay on the left most side of the roundabout even if turning right.

In fariness, most of the time, I dismount and walk through roundabout junctions. Too scary for me. I don't pass many roundabout anyway.

• Advertisement

That's probably one of the worst drivers right there. The ones who think they are right. You've then got to suffer their ignorance as well.

Anyway, look for broken glass on a roundabout and you'll know how safe it is :-)
    There always seems to be some at Spawell and Walkinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

That crazy, hope your alrite! Same happened to me before last one night heading into town with a friend, some silly cow didnt stop and i was already on the roundabout turning and she missed my car by inches.
    Some people have no clue. Driving tests should HAVE to include a major roundabout these days. One near every town now sure!
    She had L plates up and there was someone in the car with her.

Dont judge all Learners on that fool tho! Irish ppl tend to!
    If I had been able to get her reg plate I would've and rang the gardai straight away to report her.

Yea thats all well and good reporting here but then you have to go to court and all that and its really not worth the hassling bcoz nothing ever happens in the end.

Colm R wrote: »
    In fariness, most of the time, I dismount and walk through roundabout junctions. Too scary for me. I don't pass many roundabout anyway.

I think that’s the sensible thing to do. Roundabouts are not designed for cyclists if a roundabouts aim is to keep traffic flowing. A bicycle travels a lot slower through a roundabout compared to anyone else. You simply don't have enough time to get out of the way of traffic that have the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

THE RULES FOR ROUNDABOUTS NEED TO BE CHANGED, so that drivers have to make a full stop before the enter the roundabout. Ignoramuses are just taking a quick glance to their right and flying onto the roundabout, thinking "I can keep booting it here. If anything enters from the left and hits me, I'm in the right." WRONG.

So you can look to your right and see no cars waiting to enter there, so you proceed. Suddenly, one suddenly flies at you so fast from the exit on your right, it SEEMS like you cut in front of him.

Then there are the middle aged men who seem to have earned their licenses before the roundabout became common. They look to their right, their left, their mirror and all around, and don't know when to proceed. So they just stand there. OR WORSE they proceed no matter what's coming from the right, as if the roundabout is not there. "Roundabou'? Whas dah?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

THE RULES FOR ROUNDABOUTS NEED TO BE CHANGED, so that drivers have to make a full stop before the enter the roundabout. Ignoramuses are just taking a quick glance to their right and flying onto the roundabout, thinking "I can keep booting it here. If anything enters from the left and hits me, I'm in the right." WRONG.

So you can look to your right and see no cars waiting to enter there, so you proceed. Suddenly, one suddenly flies at you so fast from the exit on your right, it SEEMS like you cut in front of him.

Then there are the middle aged men who seem to have earned their licenses before the roundabout became common. They look to their right, their left, their mirror and all around, and don't know when to proceed. So they just stand there. OR WORSE they proceed no matter what's coming from the right, as if the roundabout is not there. "Roundabou'? Whas dah?"

as much as i hate to say it at least most of these drivers do look to their right.
    daily i come across drivers who are looking to their left when entering a roundabout why they do it is beyond me unless they've got their left and right mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

THE RULES FOR ROUNDABOUTS NEED TO BE CHANGED, so that drivers have to make a full stop before the enter the roundabout.

Neatly negating the whole point of having a roundabout. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mackerski wrote: »
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

as does having traffic lights on roundabouts...

mackerski wrote: »

I think the idea of the roundabout is to allow drivers onto a juntion where there is a break in the traffic coming from the right, and the driver does not have to worry about traffic from the left.

However, the rules do not need to change. You should not have to stop, just slow down and be prepared to Stop if necessary. Drivers are the problem here, not the rules.

• Advertisement

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    I think that’s the sensible thing to do. Roundabouts are not designed for cyclists if a roundabouts aim is to keep traffic flowing. A bicycle travels a lot slower through a roundabout compared to anyone else. You simply don't have enough time to get out of the way of traffic that have the right of way.

Agreed, hence I get off the road and walk.

Advertisement