Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

d'telly

Options
  • 12-04-2006 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all.

We need to arrange TV fairly soon and I was just wondering who you guys would recommend? Sky were looking good until I was told you need a landline (no thanks). I suppose ntl or chorus are the only two left? Or are they?

Also, is it possible to organise a combined TV & broadband deal without a landline? (If that sounds completely ridiculous, bear in mind I know nothing about this kind of thing at all!)

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Angel wrote:
    Hi all.

We need to arrange TV fairly soon and I was just wondering who you guys would recommend? Sky were looking good until I was told you need a landline (no thanks). I suppose ntl or chorus are the only two left? Or are they?
    As far as I know you only need a landline to get the interactive stuff working, a dish on it's own will still get you the channels.
    Angel wrote:
    Also, is it possible to organise a combined TV & broadband deal without a landline? (If that sounds completely ridiculous, bear in mind I know nothing about this kind of thing at all!)

Thanks all!

Don't know about a combined deal, but NTL's broadband service isn't available in Charlesland as we are connected with MMDS rather than proper cable. There are wireless broadband providers that will work in Charlesland, but you will need an arial on the roof.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hc

We have Sky and didn't have a land line when we got it installed.
    eoin_s wrote:
    As far as I know you only need a landline to get the interactive stuff working, a dish on it's own will still get you the channels.

As Eoin says, you only need a land line if you want to interact, i.e. order moves or football games etc.

We are delighted with ours, we've had it for over 9 months with no problems. Despite not having Channel 4 and UTV, you don't really miss anything. All the good Channel 4 stuff is on E4 anyway, and that is included in the SKY channel listings.

The guy who installed ours was great, and took care to hide all the external wires away so that they're not hanging down. I've seen a few houses where wires are draped over their roof!

If you need his number let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Yeah, that would be great if you could pass on those numbers guys, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

hc wrote:
    Despite not having Channel 4 and UTV, you don't really miss anything. All the good Channel 4 stuff is on E4 anyway, and that is included in the SKY channel listings.

You can get ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 totally FREE with a dish & box now through the "other channels" option. Plus all the BBC channels.

You can get all of that for the price of the box and dish with no further subscription fee EVER !

Loadsa info on all of this on this site on another forum, including a sticky on how to tune them in : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

eigrod wrote:
    You can get ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 totally FREE with a dish & box now through the "other channels" option. Plus all the BBC channels.

You can get all of that for the price of the box and dish with no further subscription fee EVER !

Loadsa info on all of this on this site on another forum, including a sticky on how to tune them in : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The only reason I put up with the crap unreliable MMDS signal from NTL is because I get Setanta. If i could get Setanta elsewhere I would switch like a light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement