Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would u buy a formerly leased car?

• 26-08-2005 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I`m looking for a good primera diesel 2002 and what i found is that a few dealers is offering cars which comes from the end of lease (from leaseplan.ie). My question is how dangerous is it to buy a leased car. Any thoughts on how much less someone should pay for a car that has been leased.
    Every car i saw have a service history just printed off on plain paper - i could do it at home.

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

ITs the same as buying any car - there are good ones and bad ones and it can be hard to tell the difference.

I used to work for a leasing company and we had access to the service records and they were exactly as you described.

The thing to do is look for a low mileage example that has had regular servicing. By checking how close to the recommended service intervals it was serviced it will give you some idea how concientous the driver/company was.

Check the paper work to see if they include crash repairs on the service history.

You might be better off going along to the Leasing auction and buying them before the dealer puts his markup on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

I used to work for a leasing company and we had access to the service records and they were exactly as you described.
    Check the paper work to see if they include crash repairs on the service history.

Good to know about the service records, but what kind of legal documents should be attached to the car? Should i checked any credit agreement against it? I havent totally any clue, never bought leased car.

In most (but not all) corporate leasing arrangements the car is still owned by the leasing company - therefore if the leasing company has sold on the car (as this case appears) then you should be ok. A careful look at the previous owners on the registration document should put your mind at rest.

*disclaimer - I used to work for a UK & NI leasing company - Im not sure how different the rules in the Republic are.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I bought a Micra which was a lease car a few years back with 12,500 miles on the clock. Had it for 3 years with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

The thing is to check with who was the car leased . Some are leased to
    companies and driven by one individual such as reps etc if this is the case then check car as if buying private actually in this case the car will probably have a better service record than a private sale as the deiver was not paying for service costs .If the car was a hire drive ie used by a rental company then have it thouroughly checked .low mileage hire drive returns are not always the best deal as in my experience of checking these its an indication that the car has been off the road for some reason or other , hire drives generally cover aprox between 12 - 16000 miles in six months .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The thing is to check with who was the car leased . Some are leased to
    companies and driven by one individual such as reps etc if this is the case then check car as if buying private actually in this case the car will probably have a better service record than a private sale as the deiver was not paying for service costs .If the car was a hire drive ie used by a rental company then have it thouroughly checked .low mileage hire drive returns are not always the best deal as in my experience of checking these its an indication that the car has been off the road for some reason or other , hire drives generally cover aprox between 12 - 16000 miles in six months .
    Not to mention yanks tearing the gearbox of them! :D

rental company then have it thouroughly checked .

Never mind the yanks - I've seen how the maniacs at the Car Hire companys rant them from A-B. I wouldnt touch a ex-hire car with a barge pole.

Leaseplan are one of the big players in the Company car leasing arena. You should be ok unless you get a lemon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Yes, I would. Would a leasing company let a customer out in a crock? They are serviced regularly and well maintained. All renters of them have full licences and I would say at least ten years driving practice so you are not going to get one which has been driven into the ground by a boyracer, or one that has been mishandled by a learner. They will also have all the documentation with them which can sometimes be missing with private sellers. Try to get some garuntee from the dealers however, for a year for example or if not six months. Ask them has if it been serviced since it was last rented out, questions like that. If they cannot give you a garuntee, then tell them you will have to go away and think about it. They might then throw in a garuntee. Apart from that they should be good cars, probably better than most other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

it would be worth calling the company that leased the car, and ask to speak to the person who drove it. They have nothing to lose by telling the truth, and can give a proper history of the car.

realweirdo wrote:
    Yes, I would. Would a leasing company let a customer out in a crock?

**sigh** re-read the post. There are major differences between corporate car leasing and Car Hire/Rental

Also there is nothing preventing a lease car being crashed and repaired. So yes there could be a few crocks. ex-lease cars come in all conditions - from mint to crock.
    realweirdo wrote:
    it would be worth calling the company that leased the car, and ask to speak to the person who drove it. They have nothing to lose by telling the truth, and can give a proper history of the car.
    Very little chance of this happening. The leasing company that I used to work for did the registration documents in the form...

Joe Soap,
    C/O The friendly leasing company.
    or
    Joe Soaps Company Ltd

They are not going to give out personal information about him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

**sigh** re-read the post. There are major differences between corporate car leasing and Car Hire/Rental

Also there is nothing preventing a lease car being crashed and repaired. So yes there could be a few crocks. ex-lease cars come in all conditions - from mint to crock.

Very little chance of this happening. The leasing company that I used to work for did the registration documents in the form...

Joe Soap,
    or
    Joe Soaps Company Ltd

They are not going to give out personal information about him.
    That would cause some interesting coversations when trying to tax these cars.

Bond-007 wrote:
    That would cause some interesting coversations when trying to tax these cars.
    Note:
    *disclaimer - I used to work for a UK & NI leasing company - Im not sure how different the rules in the Republic are.

Both situations are perfectly legal in the UK/NI. Im not sure what the case would be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

[QUOTE=secret_squirrel

Joe Soap,
    or
    Joe Soaps Company Ltd

They are not going to give out personal information about him.[/QUOTE]

I have had phone calls to our offices from people buying a car that was previously leased. it does happen

Originally Posted by realweirdo
    Yes, I would. Would a leasing company let a customer out in a crock?

Here,

I re-read the post. I would in truth prefer a car from a hire/rental company. Its true you can get the full spectrum from a leasing company, however I doubt if they would be bothered dealing or doing up and selling on crashed cars. That's usually carried out by back street dealers and panel beaters who repair cars as a business. If it's a reputable leasing company they won't be involved in that but of course someone's going to reply saying its routine in the industry. Mileage and age should dictate a lot as well as obvious wear and tear. Still think you should avoid buying from them if they won't offer a basic garauntee or if they can't give you a service history of the car. Having said that companies that lease cars for employees are always going to go for the newer safer model and therefore leasing companies will struggle to lease older though probably excellent used cars. As always with cars you're taking a risk. But I would rather take a risk with a leasing company than with a private seller with no reputation who might well be in the business of repairing crashed cars.

I forgot to quote...next time....

Advertisement