Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is he still not reviewing the papers? this is tomorrow's Sun

tubridy_late_late_show.jpg

He's certainly a man under pressure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Is he still not reviewing the papers? this is tomorrow's Sun

tubridy_late_late_show.jpg

He's certainly a man under pressure..

Stick with us folks....... we'll turn it around.......... give us time........ we're all in this together...... the wheels on the bus go round and round....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Happened to tune in for 10 minutes this morning (Kenny had one of his weird bands on)...Tubridy was talking to some bloke that talked exactly like him about nepotism of all things. All in all he seemed to be in favour of the practice as a means to be able to find people suitable for the job more quickly and that it was positive to bring someone you know or are related to with you into a workplace since trust is already built up...
    Sailing a bit close to the wind with that sort of discussion in RTÉ really. Other guy must have been selling a book or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I do DoE testing so whatever radio station is on in the vehicle stays on.

Saying that it is rarely tubbers. I can't abide him. His stoppy/starty way of talking busts my head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

daily mail article today quotes rte sources and the sources blame it all on the newspapers review he does in the mornings....."its clear to us that that problem cant be ryan... he was so successful on the bbc".......we have a new producer etc and can turn things around....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

easychair wrote: »
    Of course it's not a crime, and guilty pleasures are great.

I even myself flicked today to RTE1 and found Tubridy and listened for a couple of minutes, and then switched to something else as I found myself cringing when I listened to him.

For me, I don't have to then rush to boards and take pleasure in saying how truly awful the show is, and am not sure I fully understand why others choose to do that, with apparent regularity. I take no pleasure in his show being dreadful, and feel embarrassed for Tubridy that he seems to have found himself in a show which isn't working, and I truly hope he finds a show which suits his style.

I read the threads here which were similar about Gerry Ryan, and some posters seeming to take pleasure about being really vicious about his appearance and about him personally. I detested that, and thought them disgusting to appear to take pleasure about saying horrible things about him personally. For me, the difference between Ryan and Turbidy is that Gerry Ryan was often interesting, and his show at times compelling, with humour, intelligence and the potential for danger.

Tubridy, in contrast, has never appealed to me as his style is superficial, jerky, he often appears patronising, lacking humour and he comes over as flippant and lightweight.

I am sure where I agree with many here is with the opinion that Tubridy's show is poor, and where some perhaps differ is that I take no pleasure in that. I sincerely hope he finds a vehicle which suits his talents, and wish him well personally.
    here come the friend requests!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

here come the friend requests!!

I've no idea what that means in context. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Slidey wrote: »
    His stoppy/starty way of talking busts my head

+1

Good succinct way of summing up his style.

My brief flirtation with Tubs today:

DLB: so why will you not let your kids on facebook?
    Lady caller: because i don't want all the people on facebook.....in my kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

daily mail article today quotes rte sources and the sources blame it all on the newspapers review he does in the mornings....."its clear to us that that problem cant be ryan... he was so successful on the bbc".......we have a new producer etc and can turn things around....

I find it puzzling that they should blame the falling audiences on the newspapers review. Didn't Gerry Ryan have a newspaper review as well?
    One of the main reasons why I would tune into Tubridy's radio show would be for the newspaper review so it seems a bit pathetic that this should be held up as something that needs changing. I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that Tubbs seems to be getting increasingly negative publicity from the tabloids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Ever heard of flicking through the staions :confused:

Of course but dont you flick through stations that you can tolerate :confused:

I flick through channels all the time but dont like country music so i'd never stop on it long enough to have an opnion :)

I was just curious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

jimmynokia banned for one month for trolling thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Slidey wrote: »
    I do DoE testing so whatever radio station is on in the vehicle stays on.

I'd say it's an instant fail for having Tubs on the radio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Poly wrote: »
    I'd say it's an instant fail for having Tubs on the radio!

Its a close 2nd to MidWest!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Funny place names today for the 12 year olds in the audience

Funny place names today for the 12 year olds in the audience
    can they even say "muff" at that hour?

he's getting slaughtered in the media this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

He is getting a hard time in the press, i think the hacks have taken a dislike against him.

I'm no fan but i thought yesterday's Herald article was a nasty piece of work...
    IS IT any wonder that Ryan Tubridy has lost touch with regular people?

The man who's supposed to lure housewives and working people to his show turns to the stuffy Irish Times for his views on the world.

If that's not bad enough, he drives around in a top of the range Jaguar saloon car. Hardly the acts of someone in touch with goings on in the real world.

But then again, the separated dad-of-two, who's on €533,000 a year, was never likely to know what it's like to struggle with money.

RTE is hoping the private school-educated South Co Dublin boy will be able to bring back the tens of thousands of viewers and listeners he's haemmorhaged from his two shows.

"He's going to have to get over his obsession with JFK, the Beatles and Gay Byrne. The slagging off he's been getting from Jim Jim Nugent on FM104 has hit a few nerves in RTE and Ryan has been told to get his act together -- fast," said an RTE insider.

My humble advice?

1. Do and read what ordinary people do, Ryan, and stop being such a toff.

2. Be more in touch like your hero Gerry Ryan.

3. And, dare I say it, the Jag and the Times should be the first to go!

- Ian Mallon

Really unfair piece if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

giftgrub wrote: »
    Really unfair piece if you ask me.

Unfair on who? The Irish Times?

He got slaughtered again in the indo today, they obviously smell blood.

Funny thing is, if he was replaced by someone "i" like, the ratings would probably drop more! eg Mrs Brown and killinascully are the biggest things on tv...The savage eye on the other hand was not even close..

I did laugh at the hack in the Sindo last week who reckon all of us here would prefer to watch "24" all day...ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

The herald seems to be saying that if Tubs read a red top, arrived to work in a white van with a breakfast roll and a fag everything would be ok....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

giftgrub wrote: »
    The herald seems to be saying that if Tubs read a red top, arrived to work in a white van with a breakfast roll and a fag everything would be ok....

You know, an average white van man would be more in touch with people than golden boy

The most extraordinary thing is why anyone buys the Herald. Some newspapers are nasty. Some posters here are nasty. I choose not to buy the nasty newspapers and choose to ignore the posters here who are obviously nasty and appear to enjoy making personal remarks about Turbidy and appear toenjoy his current uncomfortable position.

What is it about some of us that we appear to enjoy others misfortunes, and appear to take pleasure about others misfortunes?

'LATE Late Show' host Ryan Tubridy says he won't fight looming salary cuts at RTE, and is happy with his shows despite falling ratings.
    Last night, Tubridy broke his silence after a week of intense scrutiny sparked by drops in his TV and radio figures.
    Asking his critics to "cut him some slack" for his radio show, Tubridy spoke out to "set the record straight".
    And he joked that he, too, would have watched the Ireland versus Slovakia football game had he not been presenting his own chatshow at the time.
    He also revealed that Senator David Norris would appear on the programme next week, and might use the appearance to re-enter the presidential race.
    Tubridy dismissed any suggestion that a drop in his ratings could affect his contract negotiations with the station next year.
    "That won't be used -- because I am assured it won't be," he told the Irish Independent.
    RTE director general Noel Curran is planning to reduce presenters' pay at the station by more than 30pc, relative to 2008 levels, and Tubridy is agreeable to the salary cuts.
    "There was a culture here (RTE), a culture of high pay, and that's going to change, and I think that's right.
    "I am a realist and I see what is happening in the country. I see what happened in Talk Talk this week."
    The 37-year-old star of RTE's flagship chat show made the comments after a drop of more than 180,000 on viewing figures for the first 'Late Late Show' of the season last Friday, which has been blamed on RTE Two coverage of the Ireland versus Slovakia game. This setback came shortly after radio listenership figures showed a drop of 110,000 listeners since he took over a slot on 2fm from the late Gerry Ryan.
    "Cut me some slack, will you? I know the real story of what's going on," said Tubridy.
    He pointed out that the radio figures were not comparing like-with-like because Gerry Ryan's show was longer, giving more listeners the time to tune in.
    "This was a three-hour radio show presented by the biggest personality in the land for 25 years. I took over with a two-hour show," said Tubridy.
    "We're fixing it and I'm happy with the way it's sounding."
    The presenter strongly denied that he had been warned by RTE management that his job was under threat.
    "There is a bizarre whirlwind of rumour and hearsay going on about which I want to set the record straight," he said.
    "I have not been told my job is under threat. There have been no panic meetings.
    "I haven't been told anything by anyone in management in RTE, other than you are doing a great job. I have a positive wind in my sails."
    Tubridy added: "The figures we got on Friday night weren't a fair playing pitch because the match was on.
    "We knew that we were up against a very important qualifying match. . . in fact if I had been off, I would have been watching the Ireland match, too, but I was working."
    After recently finishing up his summer stint covering for Graham Norton on BBC Radio 2, the RTE star said he "very happy with how things went", and said a second summer run in 2012 could be possible.
    For now he will focus on his radio show and the 'Late Late' with Mr Norris to appear on the programme next week.
    "I plan to get into everything with David. Everything which is relevant to the discussion will be up for grabs," he said.
    Hosting
    However, he added that he does not plan to be hosting the 'Late Late Show' for 10 years like predecessor Pat Kenny.
    "I don't know if I have the patience for 10 years. I love doing it but I'm also the kind of person who loves doing new things," he said. He went on to dismiss reports that he had snubbed by RTE in favour of veteran Gay Byrne to host a 50th anniversary celebration on New Year's Eve.
    "I have a lot going on so anything you hear about 'snubs' and not being asked is a myth.
    "Let Gay enjoy the moment. He is the grandaddy of everything and it would be a mistake to let a rookie like me in to do the job."
    Guests on tonight's 'Late Late Show' at 9.30pm on RTE1 include Mahdi al-Harati, the Irish Libyan rebel leader who led the main rebel brigade into Tripoli, former footballer Ronnie Whelan, and veteran British TV personality Jimmy Saville of 'Jim'll Fix It' fame.
    - Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

The most extraordinary thing is why anyone buys the Herald. Some newspapers are nasty. Some posters here are nasty. I choose not to buy the nasty newspapers and choose to ignore the posters here who are obviously nasty and appear to enjoy making personal remarks about Turbidy and appear toenjoy his current uncomfortable position.

What is it about some of us that we appear to enjoy others misfortunes, and appear to take pleasure about others misfortunes?
    i don't think a 500k (at least ) salary for doing silly voices is a misfortune?

My favourite harold article lately was about mythical character "fat freddie thompson"...the headline was "Cup of hate"...and there he was minding his own business having a cup of tea at his mothers front door....
    The 2nd pic was a confused looking "FFT" looking at the camera wondering "wtf is photographer doingoutside me ma's house while i'm having me tea"

I agree, nor do I. But why the non sequitur?

I agree, nor do I. But why the non sequitur?
    I'm incredibly inarticulate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

It would appear that's the real reason he is being attacked from all angles. He is vastly overpaid like most everyone in RTE. Until that place gets a Tsunami like shot of reality and the Union is stood up to this is going to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bard wrote: »
    Unfair on who? The Irish Times?

It seems like it is open season on Tubridy now in the press.

He deserves to be criticised for his radio output, but this article is lazy and built on lazy prejudices.
    The writer accuses him of being 'A Toff'. That is an English expression referring to the Estate owning Upper Classes there, It has no meaning here other being a nasty slur on Tubridy's character.

Tubridy reads all the papers, as anyone in his position should - It is invert snobbery to accuse someone of being out of touch just because they read 'The Irish Times'.

Gerry Ryan also had an enormous salary and drove flashy cars, and was proud of it. He boasted about it in his sickening autobiography. None of the leading presenters struggle to pay bills - it is a job that requires empathy, not sympathy.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    It would appear that's the real reason he is being attacked from all angles. He is vastly overpaid like most everyone in RTE. Until that place gets a Tsunami like shot of reality and the Union is stood up to this is going to continue.
    That short clip of cuba gooding jnr says it all...500k for lazy research and poor questions.

Advertisement