Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Well then o2 is also breaking the law. Vodafone & 3 have that information on their website. I've failed to find it on meteor.

The law is here http://www.odce.ie/en/media_information_notices_article.aspx?article=c951ecd7-f186-41b4-bbbd-3e5d6db81d0b , is's punishable with a fine and is a criminal offence.

Fair point but...
    These new requirements do not apply to –
    • Irish registered unlimited liability companies ; or
    • branches of foreign-registered bodies corporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

o2 is foreign registered, that's why it's not showing on the cro I presume.

48 is not registered with the Cro as a trading name of o2. Somebody is making this up as their going along.

I don't even think O2 is a registered business or trading name.

o2 is foreign registered, that's why it's not showing on the cro I presume.

So is Telefonica a foreign registered entity. THEY are still registered with CRO.

Vodafone and the rest are all registered with the cro. Don't know why o2 aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jondu

Well then o2 is also breaking the law. Vodafone & 3 have that information on their website. I've failed to find it on meteor.

The law is here http://www.odce.ie/en/media_information_notices_article.aspx?article=c951ecd7-f186-41b4-bbbd-3e5d6db81d0b , is's punishable with a fine and is a criminal offence.

drunkmonkey - I see you point..
    However to prove me wrong please ring Telefonica (O2) and see what they say.. I'd a look online for their headoffice contact number +353-1-609-5000

jondu wrote: »
    drunkmonkey - I see you point..
    However to prove me wrong please ring Telefonica (O2) and see what they say.. I'd a look online for their headoffice contact number +353-1-609-5000

I don't have to prove you wrong, it's clear that certain things are not been done in the correct order here.
    It's Comreg, ODEC and the Data protection commissioner that need to be contacted not o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jondu

I don't have to prove you wrong, it's clear that certain things are not been done in the correct order here.
    It's Comreg, ODEC and the Data protection commissioner that need to be contacted not o2.

All this stuff might be sorted before they officially launch the '48', whenever that will be...

Either way it will cause a bit of a headache for the other operators..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Its hysterical the way some people are responding to this thread. Talk about having nothing better to do! I know Im on here with little else better to do also, but Im starting to find that there is some weird kind of obsessive paranoia in Ireland regarding new companies. If I was to believe half the things posted in this forum (generally by the same usual suspects) then I would be afraid to leave my house. Every business, large or small is a complete con, run by crooks out to shaft you at every turn, everything is a conspiracy, everyone is out to get us. OMG! I feel like hiding under a blanket to protect myself from all the evil out there determined to get to me.

I wonder what these people will say once its clear there is in fact no conspiracy at all, its just another company launching a new product which will introduce a little bit more competition in a market which is quite a lot more expensive than countries such as the UK. No doubt comments such as "well its better top be safe than sorry" etc etc.

I tell you what, everytime someone posts up a new idea or business, keep on criticising it, picking holes in it, desperately Google away to find out some fact they may have overlooked or not be aware of, strive to knock anyone who is making some attempt to progress in these difficult times, and maybe, just maybe, if you do it enough, you might just stumble across an actual scam and then you can stand tall and proud and tell us how you told us all and that its lucky people like you exist.

This negativity is just rather sad. I wonder if these repeat offenders (you know who you are) realised that they could probably make a fortune if they could turn that negativity into something positive for themselves and their beloved nation that they appear so steadfastly determined to protect.

djrichard wrote: »
    I wonder what these people will say once its clear there is in fact no conspiracy at all

Well, I for one am putting on DM's tinfoil hat before Monday.

Seriously, one can never be too careful. There are a good few companies out there that would love nothing better than to take your money off you for any reason, not withstanding underhandedness.

It's not much to ask that a "company" [I use that term loosely as there is no apparent proof that 48 is a legal entity] does things by the book. That means run their "business" by the laws of OUR land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

djrichard wrote: »
    Its hysterical the way some people are responding to this thread. Talk about having nothing better to do! I know Im on here with little else better to do also, but Im starting to find that there is some weird kind of obsessive paranoia in Ireland regarding new companies. If I was to believe half the things posted in this forum (generally by the same usual suspects) then I would be afraid to leave my house. Every business, large or small is a complete con, run by crooks out to shaft you at every turn, everything is a conspiracy, everyone is out to get us. OMG! I feel like hiding under a blanket to protect myself from all the evil out there determined to get to me.

I wonder what these people will say once its clear there is in fact no conspiracy at all, its just another company launching a new product which will introduce a little bit more competition in a market which is quite a lot more expensive than countries such as the UK. No doubt comments such as "well its better top be safe than sorry" etc etc.

I tell you what, everytime someone posts up a new idea or business, keep on criticising it, picking holes in it, desperately Google away to find out some fact they may have overlooked or not be aware of, strive to knock anyone who is making some attempt to progress in these difficult times, and maybe, just maybe, if you do it enough, you might just stumble across an actual scam and then you can stand tall and proud and tell us how you told us all and that its lucky people like you exist.

This negativity is just rather sad. I wonder if these repeat offenders (you know who you are) realised that they could probably make a fortune if they could turn that negativity into something positive for themselves and their beloved nation that they appear so steadfastly determined to protect.

Rubbish.

A couple of days ago a thread appeared on the "Bargain Alerts" forum about a new site offering TVs at lower than normal prices. Not insanely lower but still cheaper than the likes of Amazon.

A few people did a bit of investigating and it turned out that the company in question had taken orders on TVs but not shipped them. Thread has since been deleted to prevent people on here for falling for the same scam.

With this offer, certain parts of it seem a bit off to me (the 18-22 thing primarily). But I think people are dead right to investigate new companies with offers which seem too good to be true. I certainly would before I handed over my credit card details.

If it's not a scam then the 18-22 years in Ireland can rejoice. If it is at least people have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Rang O2/Telefónica business line and they confirmed that 48 is part of the group. (As Gandalf confirmed earlier)

(Didn't get his name though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Legit or not, what "professional - Established" company puts up an incomplete website live? Its just armature.

Rang O2/Telefónica business line and they confirmed that 48 is part of the group.

(Didn't get his name though!)

Podgeandrodge, just because you have over a thousand posts, Id just like to have an official from o2 come on here and confirm it. I mean, you could be in on the scam! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Well I sent them an email about the age restriction and heres the reply I got
    Hi Pissed,

Firstly thanks for getting in touch and in answer to your question it's not the 1st April. Although that did make me laugh.

48 is a new type of network specifically designed for the 48 months of your life between 18 and 22. It's good to hear you like the sound of the offer but like the site says we are aimed at the younger generation.

Put it this way Pissed have you ever tried to get into a bar when you were 16-17? What did you do? Think about it !!

If you know anyone in that age group here is the link to order a free SIM https://48months.ie/orders/freesim.

Have you checked out our helpful FAQ section here: http://help.48months.ie/categories/20022281-most-popular-questions

If you’re feeling more adventurous, you can discuss issues with other 48er’s here: http://help.48months.ie/home - all in all, you should have more than enough ways to get any information you need.

Alternatively you can contact us here at “Area 48” as we're always more than happy to help.

Go conquer,
    Damian @ the 48 care crew

MMMM what did I do for a drink when I was 16 or 17 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

this whole thing just seems bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Confirmation from o2 on phone and email is enough for me!

Serious offer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ok , the site has improved a lot over the course of the day although it is still illegal as there is no Customer Code of Practice ....ie for handling complaints...or contact details.

But I would not worry, as I did earlier, that one should not hand over personal or credit card details to these people.

Course the other questions arising are why O2 continue to rip off Teenagers and persons aged 23 and upwards with crap bundles and seemingly do not allow NUMBER PORTING out of this sub brand of theirs...but they can wait till the skinny chicks photos at the launch appear in the Herald on monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Thanks. We got your order for a 48 sim card. We'll let you know as soon as it's in the post. If you need to unlock your phone, now's the time to do it. There's a clever unlock guide here, take a look around. Or you can always visit your friendly phone unlocking shop; you know the kind.

Meanwhile, the crew are running a background check on you, to ensure you're proper 48 material. Won't be long.

Just kidding. (Or are we?)

Go Conquer.

48 crew

hmm wonder if they do check lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Very interesting thread.

My two cents ...

It seems that there is no age restriction, they just aim at that age group and try and dis-encourage those outside that group to apply.

I am taking my tin hat off. It is almost certainly genuine. There are too many people saying it is legit and the website is too complex for a scam.

This seems to be a move by O2 to counter act the threat from other new MVNO's and the threat from 3. More likely, this is O2 trying to kill Meteor and Meteor's core market.

Their proposed internet time offer is beyond a joke in this day and age where data is key.

Their Twitter page is now live here: https://twitter.com/#!/48GoConquer

Can you port in to 48? Can you port out from 48? Is this documented anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's a good deal but there are two big negatives. 1. The data, right now the price is good but that hourly system looks sounds awful. 2. Being associated with the company 48. They're pretty cringey. Like that auld fella at the party that's trying to act young and cool that everyone is laughing at. Unfortunately, that guy is your dad. I don't think I could like with the shame of having my phone service with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

It's a good deal but there are two big negatives. 1. The data, right now the price is good but that hourly system looks sounds awful. 2. Being associated with the company 48. They're pretty cringey. Like that auld fella at the party that's trying to act young and cool that everyone is laughing at. Unfortunately, that guy is your dad. I don't think I could like with the shame of having my phone service with them.

No student will be shamed by it! Certainly not me.. :P

Are you in the habit of telling everyone you meet which mobile network you are with? I couldnt care less about their tongue in cheek attitude, thats all just part of the marketing strategy. There have been several companies who have tried this style of marketing.

I could certainly live with getting 3000 any network anytime minutes for 10euros! Its useless for data right enough, so if you use your smartphone online a lot, it might not be the service for you.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

this offer and the whole thread is downright weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

To me it seem like an edited version of the Giffgaff network in UK, www.giffgaff.com. The are also part of Telefonica and have some downright good deals.

Edit: Having read their T & Cs and browsed their offer pages, they are very much based on the Giffgaff model. If they threw the offer to a wider audience I reckon people would flock to them. Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Anyone thinking of signing up, just keep in mind that these kind of companies can go out of business very quickly, leaving you high and dry.

Just Mobile were the most recent I know of. They lost about €10,000 a day for the 10 months they were around, and had to give customers a few days notice that the service was shutting down.
    It's a tough market for a new company to get into (even if they're owned by a bigger company).

If they threw the offer to a wider audience I reckon people would flock to them. Its a no brainer.

Could you put a figure on the amount of money Meteor & 3 have spent trying to get customers to flock from the incumbents o2 & Vodafone. Ireland is too small for a lot of these new Mvno's to break into and especially all at once, this makes 3 mvno's on the way in the next couple of weeks, there all going to lose unless they've an iphone or a very suitable plan for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

face1990 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of signing up, just keep in mind that these kind of companies can go out of business very quickly, leaving you high and dry.

Just Mobile were the most recent I know of. They lost about €10,000 a day for the 10 months they were around, and had to give customers a few days notice that the service was shutting down.
    It's a tough market for a new company to get into (even if they're owned by a bigger company).

Whats the worst your going to be stung for though? €10

If they turn a blind eye to the age restriction I will give it a go for sure. Pity though as I have just signed up to the Meteor deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

On the internet I am 21.

Me too, and so is my girlfriend:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i wonder if they are only offering a 48 month "contract" so they can up prices once everyone has switched over?

Advertisement