Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile networks Data rip offs- 02

• 28-01-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Paulie1987

Hey I'm just wondering is there any way of proving mobile networks rip people off with data usage charges??...I was on a 750 mb data with O2 for 24 months as part of my 40 euro a month package...I never not once was within this limit...I lazily/stupidly was charged 70/80/90 a month because of my data usage...I have been with the 3 network on their all you can eat package for 40 a month snide my contract finished...iv checked my data usage for the 5 months and not once have I gone over 750 mb despite using it much more than ever considering I have all you can eat data

Has anyone else been badly ripped of by any networks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Paulie1987 wrote: »
    Hey I'm just wondering is there any way of proving mobile networks rip people off with data usage charges??...I was on a 750 mb data with O2 for 24 months as part of my 40 euro a month package...I never not once was within this limit...I lazily/stupidly was charged 70/80/90 a month because of my data usage...I have been with the 3 network on their all you can eat package for 40 a month snide my contract finished...iv checked my data usage for the 5 months and not once have I gone over 750 mb despite using it much more than ever considering I have all you can eat data

All that info is on your bill. It shows when and how much data you are using. You can also install data managers that track how much data you use and warn you when you approach your limit. I think it's crazy you paid twice your contact for two years. Do you have any bills showing where it went or a breakdown? It could even be you were on a 100 or 200mb contract by mistake or never connected to WiFi. You could also have had a rogue app that was eating all your data that's now fixed. Data Manager Apps (there's one built in to the latest android) show what apps are using the most data. I'd highly recommend you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Same happens me with 02, was on all the other networks and never once in many years did i go over on my data, yet every month i do on o2 even though i use Wifi all the time and would mainly use it for facebook, not downloading massive amounts.

Chancers

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

In say 10 times I've heard people saying the were over charged for data they were all o2. It was like 1 lad was overcharged on 15 gig plan. A girl rang and said we stopped u at 25 gig. His answer was why the **** didn't u stop it at 15 gig. Changers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Rocky Better Suspense

Do Three employ some sort of data compression that O2 do not maybe? Would that explain the difference in data used for similar usage patterns?

Do Three employ some sort of data compression that O2 do not maybe? Would that explain the difference in data used for similar usage patterns?

Not sure but when three started out from the the start it was 3g where as o2 and Voda were gsm to upgrade to 3g. Maybe that's what u paying for.

• Advertisement

How is that relevant? You couldn't have a similar usage pattern on 2G.
    lfc2000 wrote: »
    Not sure but when three started out from the the start it was 3g where as o2 and Voda were gsm to upgrade to 3g. Maybe that's what u paying for.

? Not sure how that has any relevance. That couldn't be similar usage pattern!

So why is 3 unlimited data,calls, texts for 49 Euro set price. What o2 and and Voda unlimited everything.I know a lad who is paying 95 Euro a month and only 5gig internet.

I cannot understand what you are asking. I was merely suggesting a reason why the OP found that he was going over his 750mb allowance. I thought I read on this forum that Three used some sort of data compression and that might explain the above.

Off topic but in response to your last comment or question.
    I cannot comment on mobile operators tariff structures.
    No network has unlimited data. They all have a Fair Usage policy. Three themselves have a 15GB fair usage policy in their unlimited tariffs.
    Most of the other operators offer cheaper tariffs than Threes offering at 49 Euro for a similar unlimited service. eMobile offered unlimited calls texts and 15 GB data for ~35 EUR not so long ago.

A number of networks offer unlimited* services for cheaper again. An example Tescos offer 30/month.

You should advise your friend to look at another provider if he is not happy paying 95 EUR a month.
    lfc2000 wrote: »
    So why is 3 unlimited data,calls, texts for 49 Euro set price. What o2 and and Voda unlimited everything.I know a lad who is paying 95 Euro a month and only 5gig internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Paulie1987

3's unlimited everything is 40 euro a month not 49...I don't understand what ya mean by data compression but iv checked my usage on the 3 website and its not been higher than the 750mb I was allowed by O2...

Advertisement