Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kumate_champ07 2 men enter, 1 man leave

• 11-01-2012 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

ok so here it is, my training log for 2012.

pre note: last year 2011 was my first year racing(got a road bike mid 2010)
    started training at Sundrive velodrome in summer past, 3 weeks before the first league. hadn't done much training before that as I had a serious ankle injury. trained most Monday nights at Sundrive in C group, raced wed nights. week 4 I crashed and was out injured. that night I felt powerful and was ready to perform, I had to wait a while..

after my recovery I had a better fitting bike and started to get much faster and fitter. week 4 I was moved to B group and won 2 races that night. won B league with an anticlimax, trained wrong during the last 2 weeks and picked too large a gear for last night of racing and had bad luck almost crashed out in keirin as the group slowed down coming into the first corner. chased them down and finished 4th while still accelerating. I was a little down for the next few weeks even tho I achieved what I set out to do. (actually felt down for a while as it triggered a bit of depression but have sorted out things now)

watched the nationals a week or 2 later, specifically the match sprints. decided that day I wanted to be there next summer and win a medal.

goals for 2012: podium finish in national match sprint.
    (unlikely to finish high in A league, too many very experienced cyclists, just want to not get dropped!) I wanted to do B league in 2012 but since I won that already I automatically get promoted

training: gym: weights, stretching
    home: 500m, 1km tt's with kurt kinetic road machine and garmin 500
    keirin training, recovery rides, self myofiscal release

sundrive: track work= pacing, standing starts, accelerations

nutrition/diet: brown breads, nuts, seeds, berries, oats, honey, 1.5L milk(quit in summer), 85% cocoa chocolate, cheese,lean meats, basmati rice, baked beans
    couple of scoops of protein, 450mg magnesium, 50mg zinc, 500mg/1-2g vitamin c, multivitamin, 2-3litres water
    (1 cheat day but no binges!)

gym: main work is deadlifts, clean and press & various versions of single legged press with supplementary exercises(instinctive training) 2-3 days per week.

had a problem with squats that will need to be addressed in future, possible asymmetrical imbalance in my physique, 1 shorter leg maybe, my Vastus lateralis(outer part of quads) begins 2 inches higher on right thigh. when I squat I feel off balance all the time, I struggle when I go heavy so that's an injury risk at the moment, deadlifts work fine tho.

*I completely changed my diet for 2012, gave up sweets, was a huge sugar addict partly due to medications, but also bad habits. feel much better now. gonna try Udos oil again soon

I will be logging my gym sessions here, TT data with HR, Lactic threshold etc,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

gym this evening. cycle there as warmup as per usual, 160bpm HR

deadlifts: 5sets x5reps @160kg, max HR 170.
    last set I was tired, took a few seconds before last rep.
    focused on power, lift quick, lower with control.

***leg press, 8 reps left , 8 reps right leg, 2-5 seconds rest between legs
    weight in pounds
    same as deadlifts, push very hard as quick as possible like a standing start, lower with control and dont bang the plates, soft touch at bottom then explode back up again

***(this was actually a leq squat machine where you push off a platform and my own weight of 258pounds wasnt included with below figures, the platform is flat so I can do it wearing socks, the leg press has a dimpled/grooved platform so I dont use that much anymore)
    8x112
    8x126
    8x140

both legs, narrow stance
    12x280
    12x280
    9x280
    leg press max HR 162bpm

stretches, cycle home

great session, woke up at 6am and didn't take a nap today, found new energy in the evening.

leg press done 1 leg at a time is great for hip stability/power. deadlifts also really work the hips. Ive noticed alot more 'torque' in my legs since starting back at the gym. I can focus more on different leg muscle recruitment during my pedal stroke now

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

This should be interesting......

When I started cycling seriously, I gave up all weights and really missed them. Now that I dont have the time to be serious, I have started back doing them at home. Would love a go at track racing in the future (when I get time)

If your squat is imbalanced, why not try single leg/bulgarian squats rather than the leg press? Will activate more stabilising muscles. Maybe throw in some gymball hamstring curls aswell

The clean and press is a great exercise......I do the dumbbell version. Might suggest some bent over rows aswell for balance.

Anyway...just my 2c...good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

deadlift 160kg ? thats a huge deadlift

Ryder wrote: »
    This should be interesting......

When I started cycling seriously, I gave up all weights and really missed them. Now that I dont have the time to be serious, I have started back doing them at home. Would love a go at track racing in the future (when I get time)

If your squat is imbalanced, why not try single leg/bulgarian squats rather than the leg press? Will activate more stabilising muscles. Maybe throw in some gymball hamstring curls aswell

The clean and press is a great exercise......I do the dumbbell version. Might suggest some bent over rows aswell for balance.

Anyway...just my 2c...good luck
    you should give it a go some saturday morning, you can race in the summer and autumn leagues any wed night when you have your accreditation. its easy to get, just a matter of being safe on the track, takes a couple of hours in 1 session.

its fairly informal most of the time as in you dont have to race every week if you dont want to or have the time. wed night racing starts in May, first race at 7.15pm I think.

I did a wattbike session today as there was ice on the track, discovered my left leg is doing 52/53% of the work! so that confirms the imbalance. I will begin sets with the right leg first so its fresher, or take a longer rest between each side.

might do some single leg squats as Im not really a fan of machines, freeweights are so much better. I think cyclists use machines as injury risks can be lower. I dont believe in stability balls tho some people love them. I do everything in my socks.

bent over rows are great, might use them some of the days, I use them as a warm up sometimes.

I do Olympic press also if Im not doing clean and press, depends how my back is feeling.

my legs were tired today, did some sprint drills peaking at 1400+watts, I know I can hit higher and I didnt go 100%, maybe 98% and eased off at the end instead of trying to hold for longer

last drill was 212m with standing start,
    12.95 seconds,
    1000watts average(eased off at end before I hit stop button)
    peak 1420
    speed 65km/h(?)

(this is from memory, pretty sure numbers are 99% correct!, next week Ill take photos of the screen so I can take them back with me for logging, saves uses a pen and paper)

aiming for 1500watts in the next couple of weeks. 1800 is my goal for later in the year

levitronix wrote: »
    deadlift 160kg ? thats a huge deadlift
    I suppose for a cyclist its alot. I got 220kg before I quit the gym a couple of years ago, had being doing deadlifts for 4-5months, that was 1 rep.

for deadlifts I'm doing 5x5 for the foreseeable future. was doing 8,6,4,2,1 the past 2 months but Ive had some 10day breaks which held me back from going over 210kg, trying to be consistent now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

last drill was 212m with standing start,
    12.95 seconds,
    1000watts average(eased off at end before I hit stop button)
    peak 1420
    speed 65km/h(?)

(this is from memory, pretty sure numbers are 99% correct!, next week Ill take photos of the screen so I can take them back with me for logging, saves uses a pen and paper)
    You can use the "recall" function to take down the details, or if you take your own computer you can download the Wattbike software and the download your data

You can also set up custom workouts, based on time or distance - this would then cut the session at 200m (my best is 11.96s by the way!! (but it was a flying 200;) (and power was only around 800w or so iirc)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

***(this was actually a leq squat machine where you push off a platform and my own weight of 258pounds wasnt included with below figures, the platform is flat so I can do it wearing socks, the leg press has a dimpled/grooved platform so I dont use that much anymore)
    8x112
    8x126
    8x140

both legs, narrow stance
    12x280
    12x280
    9x280
    leg press max HR 162bpm

stretches, cycle home

Is that one of these?

extra_business_desc_218.jpg

Beasty wrote: »
    You can use the "recall" function to take down the details, or if you take your own computer you can download the Wattbike software and the download your data

You can also set up custom workouts, based on time or distance - this would then cut the session at 200m (my best is 11.96s by the way!! (but it was a flying 200;) (and power was only around 800w or so iirc)))
    thanks, ye I noticed the recall function but all Ive done is 'go for a ride', Ill look into it deeper the next time. Ill have a look at the manual online. that wattbike doesnt seem to get used much, Ill try use it every so often for comparison. got a garmin 500 now with the cadence sensor so can use it with a turbo. Ill be able to directly convert speed to power as it calibrated very well

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/documents/Power_Curves419.pdf

its my 'budget wattbike'!

Is that one of these?

extra_business_desc_218.jpg
    ye thats pretty much it

ye thats pretty much it

Hah, have to laugh, I'm sore for three days now after pushing 145kg with BOTH my legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I suppose for a cyclist its alot. I got 220kg before I quit the gym a couple of years ago, had being doing deadlifts for 4-5months, that was 1 rep.

for deadlifts I'm doing 5x5 for the foreseeable future. was doing 8,6,4,2,1 the past 2 months but Ive had some 10day breaks which held me back from going over 210kg, trying to be consistent now.

theres me thinking 90kg squats was psuhing it at a 76kg weight and thinking my 1140 watts for 10s was getting somewhere :(

started to use the kurt kinetic road machine with garmin 500, getting a dedicated turbo bike set up next week. been experimenting with a few things, trying to find my optimum power cadence for sprinting and for 500m tt. basically lots of messing about, trying to profile my current ability and get a better training plan. will put it here in a few weeks.

Ive misplaced my diary, last deadlift session went up to 162.5kg 5x5, next will be 165kg 5x5. Im expecting to hit 180kg 5x5 before the end of the month.
    havent been going to the gym enough but did alot of bike work recently.

wed 1st 2012

Olympic press (from the floor for 1st rep of a set)

5x62.5kg
    5x62.5kg
    5x62.5kg
    5x62.5kg
    seemed too easy, gonna rest more between sets and lift heavier

incline machine squat,
    12x126lbs
    8x140lbs
    6x154lbs

both legs
    10x280lbs
    10x280lbs
    10x280lbs

without my gym diary I didnt know what I had done previously, didnt have time to check here. my legs havent felt this sore in years, they feel great on the bike but horrible when walking. I pushed them too hard at the gym, or maybe I just havent been pushing them hard enough all along. probably the latter. gonna increase protein intake too

2/2/2012 35km recovery ride
    3/2/2012 30km recovery ride

update,
    possibility of medal in match sprint= close to zero

theres just too many other experienced riders, some with euro/world medals, and first year in seniors this year will be Eoin Mullen

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irelands-mullen-faces-hoy-and-other-top-sprinters-on-london-world-cup-debut/

Eoin is on my team, havent met him yet as he has been away on a UCI scholarship. last years national sprint champ Donal Bailey has moved to our team. All I can do is work my hardest, since its only my 2nd year I still have a few more years of improvement. Im gonna find it hard to get onto the sprint team, we will have 2 teams I think so more than likely Ill be on team b.

all my lifts have gone up, last Wednesday did alot of deadlift sets, did some 200kg singles and finished with 210kg. made the mistake of eating a load of brown bread 30mins before the gym, my belly swelled up soon after when I drank water!

Im moving all my bike tools and training gear back to my parents place in Kildare, theres a massive garage I can train in. living in a studio apartment(flat) with so much stuff isnt ideal, my quality of life is being effected so Im trying to freshen things up. I havent used my kurt kinetic in a while, It will be nice to have it set up somewhere permanently and not have to worry about it getting in the way. also theres nice big speakers so I can train loud!

I asked my dad about doing some moto pacing with him on his motorbike, I could draft behind him at 70+ km/h and do some speed work. we'll have to work out safety aspects first.

got another track frame, I dont trust the aluminum on the roads under my weight so I went for some good old 1970's east German steel! so I have that for road/turbo, my BeOne for training on the track and my Look for racing. Im just waiting on a bottom bracket for the BeOne so the Look is being used at the moment.

I asked my dad about doing some moto pacing with him on his motorbike, I could draft behind him at 70+ km/h and do some speed work. we'll have to work out safety aspects first.

Don't forget Saturday mornings, they'll have the derny out soon enough I'd hope, though with the weather as it is there's a very low turn out every Saturday.

Also, is Eoin definitely coming back for the seasons here?

Don't forget Saturday mornings, they'll have the derny out soon enough I'd hope, though with the weather as it is there's a very low turn out every Saturday.

Also, is Eoin definitely coming back for the seasons here?
    ye Ive been doing Saturdays but the weather has been bad the past while, derny training usually starts in April.

I dont see him coming back for anything but the Nationals in september (and team sprint in august) ,Martyn Irvine was only there for the Nationals last year as far as I know, not sure if he was at any of the weekend comps.
    the leagues wouldnt be of much benefit for them I'd say, especially Eoin.

April? Shoot didn't realise it was that late.

Saturdays have sucked. Ice or frickin rain the last while. Better off on the rollers most Saturday mornings.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Regarding the motorbike pacing, IMO that is far too dangerous, particularly on Irish roads. A derny on the track does not need to use brakes. A motorbike on the road does, and you will struggle to see any potholes if you're close behind a motorbike

You would also leave yourself open to potential charges for dangerous driving (for the motorcyclist) and anything equivalent for you as a cyclist.

If you want to cycle at that sort of speed, find yourself a long straight downhill stretch

Looking forward to seeing Eoin in the Kilo on Friday

medal prospect might be on again, 500mm standing start TT is looking good.

Ive a permanent turbo trainer bike set up now. with the moving and reorganizing Ive had trouble sleeping and didnt get to the gym much.

Ive managed to lose 3kg in the past few weeks

last night did 15km with 10sec sprints every couple of mins followed by a 500mm tt, then 30min rest and another 500m tt. 10 hrs later (slept 5hrs) did 20mins at 200watts with a few sprints just after breakfast. just to help me wake up.
    had a gym session tonite with an easy 210kg deadlift(easy for my muscles but found it hard to wake up!), was too tired for leg press so just stretched and went home. I predict 220kg next week easily

Ill be ordering some creapure creatine monohydrate,whey isolate(unflavoured),magnesium citrate powder from http://www.myprotein.com/
    they also sell electrolyte powder which Ill order in a few weeks too

the creatine should get me past 220kg and improve my 500m. will be using 5g per day, something like 4 weeks on 2 weeks off.

got my race wheel hubs, 28h f&r
    http://www.whiteind.com/trackhubset.html

640_TRACK_REAR_SIL.jpg
    waiting on some Suzue Promax njs hubs to arrive
    thub-promax3.jpg

I got a good deal on both sets, sold a few things to buy them.

Ill be selling a 60cm steel track frame soon, It has an unusual seat lug for a 24mm seatpost even tho its thin tubing. as its from the 1970s frames were large and seatposts were short, I didnt realise it was 24mm so cant get longer than 200-250mm and I need a 300+mm seatpost. dont want to use a shim. turns out it was a grass track frame with 28mm tyre clearance, no brake holes. made in East Germany by Diamant with their unique style lugs.
    gonna build it up with vintage parts and sell it. black sun rims with 25/28mm tyres, low flange shimano 600 front hub (with solid axle and track nuts and grade 25 bearings), and low flange de-badged miche rear track hub. Ive a vintage stronglight pista bb which is a perfect match for sugino mighty crankset.

24mm seatposts are rare but I managed to get a nice chrome post in nice condition.

so ye this is a training log, I wish bike parts stuff didnt distract me so much, working on that..

heres my turbo trainer set up
    a nice raleigh 531db frame, had intended to sell it, but for now its my trainer.

420113_10151370478605604_681875603_23911583_1187939988_n.jpg

Had a brief flu illness that effected training for a while. Hit a placebo at the gym with deadlift, I wasnt getting enough recovery time.
    added raw milk to my diet, much easier to digest and I dont want 'normal' milk again.

Standing start 500m is looking like 38seconds, happy with that at the moment. Im fed up with my shallow 14mm rim wheels(looks silly on a modern frame), looking forward to some deeper rims altho mavic cxp33(23mm) seems like the best option for me. Kinlin xr380 also, still deciding if Ill use hongfu/farsports carbon for some race wheels.

My league racing tyres will be either veloflex master or challenge criterium. continental supersonic and latex tubes for big races.

did some sprint work with Donal Bailey a couple of weeks ago, got some good feedback. Would be great if I was good enough for team sprint with himself and Eoin Mullen by september.

Im gonna stick with full ROM leg press, alot of sprinters push big weight a few inches but I think pushing less weight more distance is more/equally as benefical. In neuromuscular terms I think it allows a quicker surge of power to the pedals during a sprint no matter where your pedals are positioned. Overloading can be done pushing a big gear in standing starts.

• Advertisement

added raw milk to my diet

Tell us more. Where do you get it and why is it easier to digest?

Im gonna stick with full ROM leg press, alot of sprinters push big weight a few inches but I think pushing less weight more distance is more/equally as benefical. In neuromuscular terms I think it allows a quicker surge of power to the pedals during a sprint no matter where your pedals are positioned. Overloading can be done pushing a big gear in standing starts.

How much of a difference in distance for the leg press? I let the sled come down until it's pushing me up out of the seat and then push back, can it be let further down?

Tell us more. Where do you get it and why is it easier to digest?

How much of a difference in distance for the leg press? I let the sled come down until it's pushing me up out of the seat and then push back, can it be let further down?

the milk is from a farm in Louth, sold by Sheridans cheesemongers in south anne st just off Grafton st.
    1.70 per litre bottle but you have to pre order.

its easier to digest because there are different enzymes that arent destroyed from been cooked. I used to drink alot of milk but with this stuff I dont feel bloated and it feels like more of a meal. the whey protein also is more beneficial as it hasnt suffered any heat damage during production. casein makes up 80% of milk protein and isnt effected much by the pasteurization.

theres alot of websites about raw milk with all kinds of praise, all I know is the stuff I get is great quality and it is much easier to digest so should help with my progress

for leg press you should keep your lower back firmly against the pad, if its rolling and coming off then the weight is prob too high or you just need to correct your form. I stop just bellow parallel alignment between thighs and base plate

Didnt sleep properly so couldnt go to Sundrive velodrome this morning. Eventually got some sleep and ate some good food, rushed in and out of the city had a quick change then went back out to the gym, only 5mins away on the bike. Got my deadlift to 220kg easily enough. My standing start 500m tt has improved, looking like 37seconds for Duane Delaney meet in June.

Ive restructered training so that Im more fresh for deadlifts. Trying to do more 500m tt's, basically 20min warm session, mostly around 28km/h with a few 5sec efforts near the end, A few mins rest then 500m followed by 10mins cool down.

Ive been doing all my work with a 48:15 gear ratio, gonna have to sort out some more cogs for warm up/cool downs/recovery. Have 16,15,14,13,12t cogs. On the road I use 48:19 with max 190rpm, my 500m power seems around 120rpm.

Had a pain in my right ankle today during accelerations, I think its the extra power going thru my floppy runners when Im commuting, I should really be using spd's

Yesterday press, lat pulldowns, hyper extensions.
    Light spinning.

Tonite leg press,
    worked up to
    210kg x12, 240kg x7, 250kg x5. Pretty intense workout

some days I want to do something but Im not recovered yet it, like 500m tt's 2 days in a row, Im learning to spread it out more like weights at the gym, no good doing the same exercise 2days in a row as theres not enough time for recovery/improvement. I just like studying the garmin data after turbo sessions!

trying to make every workout count now and not letting a few days pass while Im distracted by non training related stuff, it slows down/stalls my progress.

ok so been training steadily but had an injury* during deadlifts a couple of weeks ago so couldnt train my upper body till this week.

did some cable cross overs,olympic pressing and lat pulldowns on monday, today I tried deadlifting again but by 200kg I could feel the injury wasnt healed yet. *I had pulled the muscle just below the collar bone all along the top of my chest.
    so with my legs warmed up I went with the safety of the leg press machine. Im off the creatine the last week so was surprised to lift so strong. full ROM leg press
    200kg x 14
    220kg x 12
    240kg x 9
    260kg x 5

my 500m time has improved greatly and Ive been testing my flying 200, its looking very good. ordered the 12lb flywheel for my kurt kinetic to help make accelerations/sprint intervals tougher.

new training/league wheels: miche hubs ,large flange, upgraded with dura ace 7710 axle,locknuts and track nuts. enduro bearings, ceramic for rear, tiny bit of dura ace grease for front with seals removed. hub shells polished

rims: mavic cxp33, 32 dt swiss competition front, 32 dt swiss alpine III rear, dt swiss pro lock nipples

tyres: challenge criterium 23mm

First race last wednesday, tested myself on a breakaway for a few laps, got bored with the pace. Finished near the back in the 3 races, I was happy with my fitness and will race very differently tomorrow. Week 3 and 4 will suit me much better.
    I am staying in the B section for now.

Predicted flying 200m for Duane Delaney weekend is around 12.50secs

Last wednesday was good, rain came near the end so 1 less race. 1k handicap, I started in the last bunch and got 3rd, was 1-2inches away from 2nd. I made a mistake coming into the last bend. 1st was half a bike length I think.

tomorrow theres a couple of sprint events, excited about them. Flying 200m is 12.7 on the kurt kinetic but that is configured to give the same resitance as riding in the hoods, with an aero position in the drops and the geometry of the velodrome the real time will be quicker. Power is around 1000watts average over the 200m(theres no actual torque measurment), Ive been making the jump too early with 150m to the 200line, I should be able to accelerate over a shorter distance and hold more speed to the finish.
    Still havent added the flywheel, my momentum will keep the speed going to the line which will also help decrease the time.

Think Im finished with the gym for the summer. it depends on how my times improve, might do 1 session per week.

so ye Im pretty excited about tomorrow, making some changes to my bike too. Will be good to sprint on a real bicycle instead of the turbo!

yesterday was a bit of a disaster. got up very early with the intention of taking a nap for a couple of hrs later in the afternoon which never happened. eventually got my bike ready with the new parts and had 1 hr free but couldnt fall asleep.

won my heat in the '3 up sprint' with a 300m sprint hitting the line at 54 km/h. 5 mins later we had the final! I wasnt recovered and tried to do the same thing but was 5km/h slower and easily bet finishing in 3rd place, final had 5/6, not sure.

I was finished then, felt kind of 'out of it' and wasnt sure if Id do any more races. I was awake again for the keirin, started 3rd from the railings and aimed for the front, got right behind the derny which is great for the few laps untill you end up in front without the derny. I carried the others till the last bend where I got passed and finished in 4th. 30mins is the usual duration between match sprints, we actually had 30 races over all the groups on the night

besides the exhaustion I used 49:15 the whole night which is under-geared for me. my power comes at 130rpm, Im not competing much in the longer races so it doesnt matter if Im overgeared in them, saves me having to change cogs.

all the above sounds like a load of excuses but Im confident Ill perform better next time

Yesterdays race report, 4 races, 2nd in Kilo dash, 4th in kieren which was the last race. This time I started from the very back but left it too late to make a move, my last 300m was avg 55ish and felt like I had another 200m in me, wasnt gassed out.
    used 48:14 and worked as expected.
    Next week more sprints and I think Ill try 48:13 or 51:14, need a solid win under my belt.
    My garmin has no graph for half of the keirn which is annoying and Ive no data for the kilo dash because I forgot to hit start!

slept 11hrs wed last week, then got a bad cold/chinese take away illness. Monday I had to train, sprints with very low intensity between and a few flying 200's. Couple of hrs later I did a nice country cycle and felt great. More sprints on tuesday evening, cold was better but had to stay carefull and not overdo it. Today cold is 95% gone, legs feel good except for left calf. Not been in a great mood, maybe harder/extra training will help.

Going back to the gym soon or buying an olympic bar and plates. Also cutting down on the milk and increasing vists to local butcher

• Advertisement

today, first bit of serious training since wednesdays racing.

new KK PR 200m 12.32 48:12 gear ratio, 105 GI

Advertisement