Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello RDB Oil Burner not firing Help

• 27-12-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hello. this morning I realised my oil burner is not firing, it was working perfectly last night now this morning not a dicky bird from her. I tryed the reset switch a few times and nothing which is unusual. oil tank is full and the fuel filter (glass bowel) seems ok. also bleed her a few times. also cleaned the photocell thingy which was dirty. anyhting else I can try? prob not gonna get anybody out here till tuesday and its bloody freezing so any help is appreciated . thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Read this thread and see if it helps. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055779011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Might need to keep bleeding it to get a good supply of oil in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Westwood wrote: »
    Hello. this morning I realised my oil burner is not firing, it was working perfectly last night now this morning not a dicky bird from her. I tryed the reset switch a few times and nothing which is unusual. oil tank is full and the fuel filter (glass bowel) seems ok. also bleed her a few times. also cleaned the photocell thingy which was dirty. anyhting else I can try? prob not gonna get anybody out here till tuesday and its bloody freezing so any help is appreciated . thanks

Is boiler making any attempt to fire?

Weather is a bit diff than norm, boiler nozzles, air and oil pressure settings are all set to work off a temperature, different than Ireland is experiencing at the moment. Over last few days I've seen heaps of boiler problems here, also in the real world.

Maybe its just a case of your boiler not being set up to deal with such a low outside temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

If the bioler is making no attempt to fire it is probably locked out by the high limit stat.

There shoulld be a grey or orange box on top of the boiler with a temp. dial and a black knob.

Unscrew the black knob and press the white reset button inside.

That should sort you out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Westwood wrote: »

If there is no sound when you press the reset button on the burner, try the reset button on the thermostat as Avns1s suggests. If this works, turn down the thermostat a bit and all should be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

ah thanks a lot lads yes it worked. didn’t know where that termo was was thinking it was the one inside the house. Yes I had it turned up to 5 the past few weeks as weve been practically snowed in up here and really needed it. only today the weather has cleared up and now that happened. Suppose it was high limit stat due to long periods of use, just clicked the orange pin and it fired up right away. again thanks to all who replied. Have a lovely holiday much obliged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michaeltvc

Hello everyone. I've got the same problem as Westwood but burner only fires when I press the safety reset and stops when I let go! Any ideas please. Thanks

Michaeltvc wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I've got the same problem as Westwood but burner only fires when I press the safety reset and stops when I let go! Any ideas please. Thanks

Deleted - answer PMd

Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Anyone who objects to my advice, remember that this is a DIY forum
    Jim.
    I find that kind of advise very disturbing, i have seen enough qualified engineers getting it wrong let alone diyers, please don't start giving that kind of "helpful advise on gas" if that boiler is tank fed and due to the cold snap the tanks frozen and the system water drops off and the boiler stat gets accidentally left on max, what would happen then? then that couldn't happen because you covered everything in your post, how many times have you advised people over the phone and found when you got to site they got the wrong end of the stick, i have found in most incidents i have called to all be it gas, it has been something stupid that has led to the damage and bridging out a safety devise is something stupid, no insurance company would pay out for any damage, what service engineer would do that as a temp repair and put there name to it on a callout, i wouldn't have it in my house, i like to sleep at night.

gary71 wrote: »
    I find that kind of advise very disturbing, i have seen enough qualified engineers getting it wrong let alone diyers, please don't start giving that kind of "helpful advise on gas" if that boiler is tank fed and due to the cold snap the tanks frozen and the system water drops off and the boiler stat gets accidentally left on max, what would happen then? then that couldn't happen because you covered everything in your post, how many times have you advised people over the phone and found when you got to site they got the wrong end of the stick, i have found in most incidents i have called to all be it gas, it has been something stupid that has led to the damage and bridging out a safety devise is something stupid, no insurance company would pay out for any damage, what service engineer would do that as a temp repair and put there name to it on a callout, i wouldn't have it in my house, i like to sleep at night.

Gary, I don't know why you are mentioning gas - the guy is talking about oil. I gave enough warnings. I told him not to leave it on unsupervised. Do you want him to have frozen and burst pipes all over the house ? He may not get a stat for a week. It is not a normal time of the year when you can call someone out the next day.
    Maybe we should stop giving any DIY advice about heating on this DIY forum.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Jim no offense but thats not great advice, no way on earth should you interfere with the pin on a high limit stat. If that pin keeps popping out, the boiler should not be allowed run, end of.

Think about safety and insurance implications after forcing a boiler to run by manipulating its safety feature.

Heating pipes will not burst, if your worried about heating pipes bursting the safest advice is to turn off the heating water supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michaeltvc

Thank you JamesM, I held the safety stat switch down for a few minutes and released. The rads were starting to heat up, so I repeatedthis 3 more times and then the boiler stayed on automatically. I think that there may have been some ice in the pipes blocking the return feed. working fine now. Thank you for your advise and for outlining the safety issues involved.

Michaeltvc wrote: »
    Thank you JamesM, I held the safety stat switch down for a few minutes and released. The rads were starting to heat up, so I repeatedthis 3 more times and then the boiler stayed on automatically. I think that there may have been some ice in the pipes blocking the return feed. working fine now. Thank you for your advise and for outlining the safety issues involved.

Hi Michael, I'm glad you got it going. That stat could give trouble again, so you should replace it as soon as possible, or it may let you down completely.

As you can see I got into trouble with some of the others for giving that advice to someone who might not be competent.

Gary and items, I will delete the advice and PM it to Michael just in case he feels that he has to use it to avoid burst pipes over the next while, until he replaces the stat.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Maybe we should stop giving any DIY advice about heating on this DIY forum.
    Jim.

Jim, with all due respect where do we draw the line, in describing how to bridge out a overheat you leave it for the fruitloops of the world to try something that may not be suitable for their situation but they will give it a lash anyway, how do you put that advise in to contexts, if a fruitloop(and i don't mean Michael) followed your advise and it led to damage how would you feel, by bridging out any safety device you take something thats inherently safe and in the turn of a screwdriver make it a potential hazard, now the chances of something going wrong are minimal but things do go wrong, why take the risk, i don't know what you're experiences are of things going wrong but i have seen enough myself to get nervous about your post, I'm not a boiler policeman so I'm not going to tell you what to do, i just think there are risks with that sort of information/advice, Gary.

gary71 wrote: »
    Jim, with all due respect where do we draw the line, in describing how to bridge out a overheat you leave it for the fruitloops of the world to try something that may not be suitable for their situation but they will give it a lash anyway, how do you put that advise in to contexts, if a fruitloop(and i don't mean Michael) followed your advise and it led to damage how would you feel, by bridging out any safety device you take something thats inherently safe and in the turn of a screwdriver make it a potential hazard, now the chances of something going wrong are minimal but things do go wrong, why take the risk, i don't know what you're experiences are of things going wrong but i have seen enough myself to get nervous about your post, I'm not a boiler policeman so I'm not going to tell you what to do, i just think there are risks with that sort of information/advice, Gary.

Gary, I am not going to argue with you, but there are still many boilers around with single stats fitted.
    With the weather conditiond we have at the moment, it is very important to keep ones heating working. I have seen whole houses ruined with water after burst pipes. Literally the whole house has to be stripped out. Plasterboard walls peel off and in some cases, where there are chipboard floors, everything has to come up. Maybe I have been around too long, but I have seen this more than once.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,561 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Telling someone how to bridge out a high-limit stat is verging on the irresponsible, in my opinion. It's there for a reason and the cause of it tripping out should be properly investigated - only then, and only for diagnostic purposes, should it be bridged out.
    If it was me, I'd do it, but I'd only run the thing under close supervision and only for short periods. Just because there are plenty of ancient boilers with single stats fitted doesn't mean that running a single stat is a good idea - else the makers would be carrying on fitting single stats, don't you think?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jake2011

Hi my oil burner will not start from the timer inside the house but when i press the button on de termo stat out side in the burner it starts no problem does any 1 know the reason for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Jake2011 wrote: »
    Hi my oil burner will not start from the timer inside the house but when i press the button on de termo stat out side in the burner it starts no problem does any 1 know the reason for this...

More than likely circulating pump is the issue

Advertisement