Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening on campus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

useded wrote: »
    Loud music. Good music. Three quid drinks. Loud drinks. Glowsticks.

Could someone remind me of this before it's on :D

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The week when we come back from study week we are having Adam Jones (director of IFES Ireland - International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) at CU to speak on "Why did Jesus die?"

The week after this our Christianity Week on the theme of "Back to Reality" begins. I have started a thread over at the Christianity Forum, but just to leave the detail here:

Debate: "This house believes that one cannot be truly moral without God" - March 30th 7pm (John Hume Lecture Theatre 2, John Hume Building) organised jointly between the Christian Union and Maynooth LnD (Literary and Debating Society).
    Invited speakers: Dr. John Murray (IONA Institute for Religion and Society), Michael Nugent (Atheist Ireland)
    2 student speakers from the Christian Union and 2 student speakers from LnD will be speaking also. (Facebook event)

"What is truth, and where can I find it?" - March 31st 7pm (Student Common Room behind Arts Block)
    Invited speaker: Dr. Bryan Follis (ASC Belfast and author of "Truth with Love: The Apologetics of Francis Schaeffer") (Facebook event)

"Life in the Emergency Room - Finding hope in the midst of suffering" - April 1st (Hall F, Arts Block)
    Invited speaker: James Crookes (Brethren chaplain at Queens University) (Facebook event)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The Geography Society have a good few events on in the next week :)

Tuesday March 23rd: This evening, the NUIM Geography Department & Geography Society present an Information Evening for Postgraduate Opportunities with Geography. There are two events happening on Tuesday evening, both with a view to getting you more informed on the postgraduate degrees within the Geography Department. The first talk is in Rocque Lab at 4:30pm, this is a CV & Interview Workshop included the skills you have obtained throughout your Geography degree. Also, another talk will take place at 6pm in Renehan Hall (beside Pugin). This talk will focus on the various postgraduate programmes that the Geography department offer.

Wednesday March 24th: We are having a Bake Sale in the Arts Block between 10am and 3pm! if anyone is interested in contributing some of your baking specialities, please send us an email, or just bring them over to the Arts Block on Wednesday morning :)

Monday March 29th: Geog Soc and Volunteering Society are hosting a 1940s Night in the SU Venue at 8:30pm. This is in aid of The Little Way Cancer Support Centre in Clane. We have loads of stuff planned for the night, including a live band, DJ, performances from clubs & societies, a raffle, and prizes for best dressed guy and girl. So dust off your dancing shoes and prepare for a great evening! Here's the facebook event page which has more details :D

There's also the Conga 4 Climate tomorrow, which is part of the Samba Festival. It was meant to happen during Green Week, but "unforeseen circumstances" stopped us from doing it :pac: It starts at 1:45pm outside JH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Tea Soc having Mad Hatter's Tea Party tonight, common room 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

As far as I know, next Wednesday there will be a Free Education for Everyone/Social Solidarity Network meeting, time and location TBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Music Ball 2010

Yay! Music Ball 2010 will be taking place in the Springfield Hotel on Monday 12th April.

Buses leave at 6.30pm from the SU, and the meal is served at 7.30.

Band is O'Neill's Rock Sock. There's also a late bar and DJ.

Buses will bring you back to the SU after all the fun.

Tickets are only e35!

Dress....is not strictly formal, but you'll look silly if you don't make an effort. everyone always dresses up.

PM me, email music@nuim.com, or if you know me or any committee member, ask them.

We'll be setting up stands next week, I'll keep this thread up to date.

Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

Ignore him :rolleyes::rolleyes: its not music@nuim.com that you email (thats the music dept)
    Its music@nuimsu.com that you want to email.

tut tut our vice president doesn't even know our email address ;)

Thats the job of a secretary! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

It certainly most is :)

RE music ball tickets: The committee members will be floating around Logic house all day tomorrow or wednesday
    Only €35 folks:D

• Advertisement

Just to remind you all. Our debate with LnD on the motion "This house believes that one cannot be truly moral without God" is on tomorrow night at 7pm in Lecture Theatre 2 in the John Hume Building. This should be a great event if you can make it.
    Invited speakers: Dr. John Murray (Moral Theology lecturer at Mater Dei), Michael Nugent (chairperson of Atheist Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

Fee Maynooth Will be hosting a talk on WEDNESDAY, 6pm in JH2 on student and staff relations and the unions. A student speaker (me), Dr. Colin Coulter from the Sociology Dept. and hopefully more. Do come. All welcome. See here for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Tea and toast has been on all week in the Arts Block, really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 conorthehippy

Hiyas,
    Conor of the NUIM Veggie sock here!!

We're going to have a Film screening of Supersize Me! on wednesday the 14th of April coming.
    It'd be great if we could have people attend.

Its on at 7:00pm, in JH4. on wednesday the 14th of April.

All welcome & encouraged to come!
    :)

Conor,

Maynooth Christian Union will be inviting Dr. Andrew Bowie, research scientist at TCD, and church leader at Trinity Church Lucan to speak on "Does Science Disprove God?" in An Tobar, Student Services Centre at 6:30pm on Tuesday 13th of April.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Music Ball 2010

Yay! Music Ball 2010 will be taking place in the Springfield Hotel on Monday 12th April.

Buses leave at 6.30pm from the SU, and the meal is served at 7.30.

Band is O'Neill's Rock Sock. There's also a late bar and DJ.

Buses will bring you back to the SU after all the fun.

Tickets are only e35!

Dress....is not strictly formal, but you'll look silly if you don't make an effort. everyone always dresses up.

PM me, email music@nuim.com, or if you know me or any committee member, ask them.

We'll be setting up stands next week, I'll keep this thread up to date.

Phew.

My housemate has pretty much taken €35 off me to go buy me a ticket to this so see ya there!

Hi all,

We've a busy week ahead of us in the Politics and Sociology Society.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) Harry Browne of DIT will be giving a talk on how the media missed the story in Haiti. That's at 6.15 in JH6. Should be interesting if you're into media and politics.

On Wednesday, Geraldine Kennedy (editor of the Irish Times) will be speaking about the freedom of the press in the Venue (SU buildings) at 12.30 (not 1 o'clock as was emailed out). If you're on facebook, here's the link with more info and guest list:
    http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#!/event.php?eid=113123765380322

On Thursday, we're co-sponsoring a "Gig for Gaza" in the SU with the ISPC. That starts at 7.30 and should be good. This is what the line-up looks like:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=108825129150938

Hope to see a few boardsies there, and at all the events :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The SVP Society along with the help of the Tea and Father Ted Society are hosting a Lovely Girls Competition in aid of Saint Vincent dePaul on Tuesday 27th April in the common room on the North Campus of N.U.I.M.
    We're looking for both girls and guys(because cross dressing never hurt anyone) to sign up for this event because really theres a lovely girl inside each and everyone of us!
    Sign up will take place every day next week in the Arts Block beside Bewleys, so the more people that get signed up the better!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=108645235842348&ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Two big events for me this week which show off my opposite interests

On Monday: NUIM Labour Youth AGM with guest speaker Emmet (**** you deputy) Stagg TD in classhall D at 6pm

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=110433752329411&index=1

And on Thursday at 7.30 in the college Chapel the Chamber Choir's annual concert with me conducting

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=111029218931092&ref=ts

Much Love,
    AE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

And on Thursday at 7.30 in the college Chapel the Chamber Choir's annual concert with me conducting

Much Love,
    AE

Honestly, I really can't wait for this on Thursday! One of the hopefully highlights of a busy week!
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Much Love,
    AE

Will the bar be open? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The SVP Society along with the help of the Tea and Father Ted Society are hosting a Lovely Girls Competition in aid of Saint Vincent dePaul on Tuesday 27th April in the common room on the North Campus of N.U.I.M.
    We're looking for both girls and guys(because cross dressing never hurt anyone) to sign up for this event because really theres a lovely girl inside each and everyone of us!
    Sign up will take place every day next week in the Arts Block beside Bewleys, so the more people that get signed up the better!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=108645235842348&ref=ts
    The date for this has been changed to 26th of Monday but all other details are the same.

Much Love,
    AE

Yes! Yes!! Come to this, see my piece being performed! :D

Veggie soc are having a food outing this wednesday in Mohana.
    Email veggie.soc.nuim@gmail.com if you're interested and we'll book a seat!!

Kellie
    Secretary Veggie soc

Yoga AGM is Tuesday 27 April at 7pm in JHL6, all welcome, members and non members!!

Email yoga@nuimsu.com

Kellie
    Secretary NUIM Yoga

kellief wrote: »
    Veggie soc are having a food outing this wednesday in Mohana.
    Email veggie.soc.nuim@gmail.com if you're interested and we'll book a seat!!

Kellie
    Secretary Veggie soc
    Sounds like fun! I shall send an email post-haste :pac:

Sounds like fun! I shall send an email post-haste :pac:

Lovely!! x

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

Playdo end of year meeting tomorrow the 29th April in JHT2. Committee elections and wine, everybody welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Xqzciara wrote: »
    Playdo end of year meeting tomorrow the 29th April in JHT2. Committee elections and wine, everybody welcome!
    Well done, Jp!!:D

• Advertisement

Couple of things happening this week with Politics and Sociology Society

Tuesday - we should be having our AGM, probably, maybe... Anyone interested in a position in the society should PM me, I'll send details on when I have them

Wednesday -I've heard we're meant to be having a British election discussion with LnD. Again, nothing certain about that. Will keep you posted!

Advertisement