Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

johndoe99 wrote: »
    watched the Ghost Writer last night, been a long time since i've been glued to the TV watching a movie, i'm not a fan of Pierce Brosnan, but he was great in this, best mystery/thriller i think ive ever seen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139328/

That was a good show
    I assume the Pierce Brosnan was based on Blair
    which raises a interesting question
    Was Cheire Bliar a CIA agent

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mackman wrote: »
    Watching Die Hard on Blu-Ray at the moment. Why cant they make movies like this anymore?

Plus, for anyone who critisizes J.J. Abrams for using lens flare, John McTiernan was doing it 25 years ago to great effect. If only more directors took notes from the classics.

action movies have no balls anymore, sanitised, pg13 , toned down, cgi blood, ugh. stuntmen and squibs ftw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

krudler wrote: »

action movies have no balls anymore, sanitised, pg13 , toned down, cgi blood, ugh. stuntmen and squibs ftw!

Ah, the quaint words of someone who hasn't seen The Raid yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Tindie

Tape 407 (2011)
    I expected this too be really bad, well it wasn't one of the best found footage movies but i't's far from being one of the worst! (I think of just seen to many of these movies lol)

However if you can take a lot of shouting and yelling for about 85% of time, you may be able to enjoy this a little! and on top of that you may need to take in a very whinny girl for 10% of movie as well, it dose clam down in the last 30 mins! (You May needs ears plugs for some scenes, this is coming from a person who's deaf in one ear!)

The first 20 mins of movie were really dull and talking to the people on plane , countdown for new years day and the plane crashes!

I was little disappointed with the crash , it was good but they could have done a lot better.

I enjoyed that we did not see what was attacking the survivors at first as the movie goes we do get to see bits of the creature at times.

You will be able to see the whole creature near the end, which you will either find really silly and funny or scary (Which don't think anyone will be)

There also a little curve in last few mins of the movie, which I am so baffled by, I just did not understand that scene at all!

I thought was great idea and the acting was not too bad at all, I did found some scene boring at the start but most of the movie was so-what entertaining.

Found it descent but I would not rush out to see it 5 out of 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Moby Dick

There are a few versions, this one had John Hurt
    I'd heard of the book and the films before but never checked it out

Extremly good, enjoyed this

The Perfect Getaway

Thriller film, based around murders in Hawaii
    Loved this film, one of the best I've seen in a long while

Timothy Olyphant is just damn cool :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah, the quaint words of someone who hasn't seen The Raid yet ;)

I know, I've been at my local cinema to get a print, they will if theres enough interest they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Mackman wrote: »
    Watching Die Hard on Blu-Ray at the moment. Why cant they make movies like this anymore?

Plus, for anyone who critisizes J.J. Abrams for using lens flare, John McTiernan was doing it 25 years ago to great effect. If only more directors took notes from the classics.

I used to be a big fan of the Die Hard movies but then along came 'The Bourne Trilogy', the pace of which makes the former look positively geriatric. Matt Damon versus Bruce Willis no competition there. I still have Die Hard for the original Play Station console; one of the best games available for it and a great one for some mindless stress relief. :D

Vantage Point

Was just ok
    Not particularly clever though it tries hard to be
    Would pass the time but wouldn't go out of the way to watch

Run Silent, Run Deep

Black and white WWII film about submarine warfare

Story not too disimilar to Crimson Tide

Thought it was very good
    One of Clark Gable's last films, he was excellent in it

Apartment 143 (2011)

This was really good, it dose not take to long to start, so there no long build up like you seen the Paranormal Activity series and they don't start of with little things. They go right into business!

There were some really great intense moments in this movie, which made me go BEEP in and there are few good jumpy scenes in this movie.

I really liked the flash scenes for the whole living room was really well made, it was really creepy scene , even that i knew something was going to happen but it still got me anyway, awesome scene.

The acting was not great and could of been much better by the whole cast they were all a bit on and off!, I disliked the doctor in this movie, he really annoyed me.

The whole movie is very entertaining from start to the very end, there are few calm scene, this was never boring, so you won't be watching the time or falling a sleep while watching this movie

But I hated The very last scene of the movies, COME ON!. that it's not how you meant to end a good movie. (I am really getting sick of those last crap scare in scene in the horror movies these day, THEY DON'T SCARE ANYONE!)

I would of have gave it 8 out of 10 but it going get a 6 out of 10 from me now!

Apartment 143 (2011)

This was really good, it dose not take to long to start, so there no long build up like you seen the Paranormal Activity series and they don't start of with little things. They go right into business!

There were some really great intense moments in this movie, which made me go BEEP in and there are few good jumpy scenes in this movie.

I really liked the flash scenes for the whole living room was really well made, it was really creepy scene , even that i knew something was going to happen but it still got me anyway, awesome scene.

The acting was not great and could of been much better by the whole cast they were all a bit on and off!, I disliked the doctor in this movie, he really annoyed me.

The whole movie is very entertaining from start to the very end, there are few calm scene, this was never boring, so you won't be watching the time or falling a sleep while watching this movie

But I hated The very last scene of the movies, COME ON!. that it's not how you meant to end a good movie. (I am really getting sick of those last crap scare in scene in the horror movies these day, THEY DON'T SCARE ANYONE!)

I would of have gave it 8 out of 10 but it going get a 6 out of 10 from me now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Well worth a watch.This has some good fight scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Shame, really good film, didn't think id get as drawn into it as i was, highly recommend anyone to see it,

still cant believe the uk lotto funded this film :eek:

HMS Defiant

I'm a sucker for these navy films :)

Sort of similar to the Bounty only in this one its the captain who is old and humane and the lieutenant is a sadistic bastard

Well you know what happens next, you push men too hard and they'll snap and react

Great film, very enjoyable

Alec Guinness is the captain, Dirk Bogarte is the lieutenant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Scent Of A Woman

Al Pacino is excellent in it. Really good film

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thor: I am all set for Avengers now after this, as with Captain America I was never big into the Thor comic series (although the recent J.M Strachzynski relaunch was good) but while I enjoyed the Captain America movie I didn't really enjoy this. And while chronologically Captain America comes first it probably would have been better to watch this first to get an understanding of the cosmic cube.

I just found it hard to take Hemsworth serious as Thor, part of it was down to him (his accent was all over the place), and part of it was down to me (as with Superman Thor is always portrayed as larger than life so to see a normal person play him is underwhelming). Also the love story between him and Jane is rushed and meaningless, the plus side is that Shield have more of a presence than in the other movies and everything feels connected, while Destroyer is reduced to some ropey effects and a cameo.

It surprised me as well that Marvel went the traditional Thor route, I thought that the Ultimates version may have been easier to sell to audiences. Watchable but forgettable might be a good way to describe it.

One thing that bugs me though is the same actors showing up to play different characters (Idris Elba, Chris Evans, Ryan Reynolds, Ray Stevenson, Stan Lee:pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Double Life of Veronique - Krzysztof Kieslowski's peculiar, dreamy and deeply ambiguous tale of two dopplegangers who seem to be spiritually connected. It's a film more about atmosphere than making sense. Starting to Poland and moving to France, it introduces us to Weronika and Veronique as they fall in love, achieve insight through music and live & die. It's meandering stuff, and purposefully so. But it's a haunting film, mainly through the absolutely stunning green-hued cinematography.

One thing propels the film to true greatness, though, and that's Irene Jacob. Playing the two main roles, it's a beguiling, hypnotic performance. Nailing the tics of two distinct individuals, Jacob's beauty and talent keeps you glued to the screen even when Kieslowski indulges in high levels of ambiguous whimsy. It's one of those rare revelatory acting performances, and the film wouldn't work nearly as well without her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

Planes, trains and automobiles

John Candy starred in this movie, made in laugh out loud a few times. I wasnt expecting it to be in any way funny but I just realised that Steve Martin was gold back in the day.Not so much now

Niagara

Marilyn Monroe sets out to have her Husband killed with the Niagara Falls looming in the backdrop

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

krudler wrote: »
    another vote for Sunshine here, I love it, its one of the most stunning looking movies of the last decade, especially the climax.

Watched this last night and thought is was amazing , don't know how i passed by it , visually stunning and extremely tense. Best sci-fi movie I have seen in a very long time.

Thanks for the recommendation :cool:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    One thing that bugs me though is the same actors showing up to play different characters (Idris Elba, Chris Evans, Ryan Reynolds, Ray Stevenson, Stan Lee:pac:)

Who else did Idris Elba & Stevenson play? I know Evans played Human Torch before and I guess you're referring to Reynolds playing Green Lantern & Dead Pool (and Captain Excellent :pac:), which isn't really a problem since they're seperate universes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

I used to be a big fan of the Die Hard movies but then along came 'The Bourne Trilogy', the pace of which makes the former look positively geriatric. Matt Damon versus Bruce Willis no competition there. I still have Die Hard for the original Play Station console; one of the best games available for it and a great one for some mindless stress relief. :D

yippee kiyayeeeee

remember the game well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I finally got to see Election today, directed by Alexander Payne, starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon. I don't think I've ever seen a film that was as infuriating in the best possible way - that left me with a grin on my face and the urge to shout at the screen "what the hell is wrong with you people!" :pac:

I don't think I've met a character quite like Tracy Flick (Witherspoon), which is a good thing. Had I been one of her classmates in school, I would have been scared sh!tless of her. I don't think that it's a coincidence that, when written in capitals on a poster, the L and I in her name blur in to a U.

As for Matthew Broderick's character, I just wanted to grab him by the scruff of the neck and slap his face. He's a loser who doesn't know he's a loser, but seems to be happy regardless - with exceptions. In short, I didn't exactly identify with the characters, but quite the opposite: they annoyed me, to the point where I had to tell myself "it's only a movie ..."

I recorded this film from TV and saved it until I thought I needed it - and it did not let me down. Of Payne's films, I haven't yet seen About Schmidt or The Descendants, so I have more to look forward to, then.

A bit of trivia I spotted: in Payne's previous film, Citizen Ruth, Ruth buys a cheap can of patio sealant to huff behind the hardware store: in Election, the disgraced teacher who had an affair with Tracy is later seen working in the same Omaha hardware store, sticking price tags on the same patio sealant.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

bnt wrote: »
    I finally got to see Election today, directed by Alexander Payne, starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon. I don't think I've ever seen a film that was as infuriating in the best possible way - that left me with a grin on my face and the urge to shout at the screen "what the hell is wrong with you people!" :pac:

I don't think I've met a character quite like Tracy Flick (Witherspoon), which is a good thing. Had I been one of her classmates in school, I would have been scared sh!tless of her. I don't think that it's a coincidence that, when written in capitals on a poster, the L and I in her name blur in to a U.

As for Matthew Broderick's character, I just wanted to grab him by the scruff of the neck and slap his face. He's a loser who doesn't know he's a loser, but seems to be happy regardless - with exceptions. In short, I didn't exactly identify with the characters, but quite the opposite: they annoyed me, to the point where I had to tell myself "it's only a movie ..."

I recorded this film from TV and saved it until I thought I needed it - and it did not let me down. Of Payne's films, I haven't yet seen About Schmidt or The Descendants, so I have more to look forward to, then.

A bit of trivia I spotted: in Payne's previous film, Citizen Ruth, Ruth buys a cheap can of patio sealant to huff behind the hardware store: in Election, the disgraced teacher who had an affair with Tracy is later seen working in the same Omaha hardware store, sticking price tags on the same patio sealant.

mathew broderick is annoying in everything bar bueller , his face is incredibly punchable

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Who else did Idris Elba & Stevenson play? I know Evans played Human Torch before and I guess you're referring to Reynolds playing Green Lantern & Dead Pool (and Captain Excellent :pac:), which isn't really a problem since they're seperate universes anyway.

Elba had a part in the new Ghost Rider movie, Stevenson was Punisher, and Reynolds was Hannibal King in Blade Trinity. I know they are different studios but I think of them all belonging to the Marvel Universe so it annoys me.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

mathew broderick is annoying in everything bar bueller , his face is incredibly punchable
    Seriously? You quote my whole post about Election, just to add one line that's not about Election? May I recommend you read the Charter?

Have you seen Election? Then you'd know that Broderick's character spends half the film looking like someone punched him, deservedly - but he wasn't punched, he was stung by a bee. His character in this film is not likeable.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Elba had a part in the new Ghost Rider movie, Stevenson was Punisher, and Reynolds was Hannibal King in Blade Trinity. I know they are different studios but I think of them all belonging to the Marvel Universe so it annoys me.;)

Ah right you are, had forgotten about Blade III! Ain't got round to seeing Punisher Warzone or the new Ghost Rider movie yet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah right you are, had forgotten about Blade III! Ain't got round to seeing Punisher Warzone or the new Ghost Rider movie yet.

I would recommend Warzone, although it is a shame they went the camp route with Jigsaw, especially since Dominic West plays him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just switched off "Sherlock Holmes" (2009) on RTE - what a pile of parrot droppings! I haven't seen such an abomination in years; I knew that I wouldn't like it as I had the misfortune to catch the trailers but it was even worse than anticipated. I love Sherlock Holmes, grew up with the books - The Hound of the Baskervilles would be my favourite and the 1939 movie of the same name with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. The 1984 Granada TV series with Jeremy Brett in the title role was superb but this latest offering is dire. Why associate it with Sherlock Holmes at all - it's as about as true to the original as the new Hawaii Five O is to the earlier TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I saw Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai (1962) in the IFI over the weekend. It was my first time seeing the film, which was shown as part of the IFI's Action Movies season. I don't know if I'd class the film as an action movie, having only a handful of fight scenes, but the few fight scenes they had were amazing. The story is loosly about a father taking revenge for the lack of pity shown to his son-in-law who was pushed into comitting ritual suicide after originally bluffing it. It's an interesting story and its beautifully shot. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in world cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Just switched off "Sherlock Holmes" (2009) on RTE - what a pile of parrot droppings! I haven't seen such an abomination in years; I knew that I wouldn't like it as I had the misfortune to catch the trailers but it was even worse than anticipated. I love Sherlock Holmes, grew up with the books - The Hound of the Baskervilles would be my favourite and the 1939 movie of the same name with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. The 1984 Granada TV series with Jeremy Brett in the title role was superb but this latest offering is dire. Why associate it with Sherlock Holmes at all - it's as about as true to the original as the new Hawaii Five O is to the earlier TV series.

ah JD have to disagree with you big time loved the two new versions , very funny , great music score etc Downey is fcking great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Went to this with a girlfriend when it came out on her insistence, I bloody hated it, modern Hollywood can't release films without huge amounts of cg and almost superhero attributes in its characters anymore for fear of teenagers not going. Making films that just rely on great characters and story lines just isn't enough now unfortunately, give me Basil Rathbone or as you say Brett's Holmes using deduction and slow, methodical groundwork to solve crimes any day (and keeping their shirts on in the process!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement