Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Street Buskers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

The buskers aren't that annoying, I usually have my iPod in or only hear the mediocrity for no more than a few seconds. The worst are the idiots who are afraid to stand within 50 metres of the busker and create this 'no man's land' in front of the busker; they annoy me to no end! And then you have the even bigger fools trying to squeeze past the OUTSIDE of this no man's land in order to pass the crowd when there is a perfectly clear patch of the street directly in front of the busker!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Somebody needs to put that wanker in the tiger costume down

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Max___Power

The best thing about Grafton was The Riptide Movement u plonker giblet!!! Get that stuffing outa ur ears ya giblet!!! And for the record, anyone who calls themselves "Giblet", can hardly go around takin the piss outa anyone, especially thee hardest working band in the country!! I'd actually have a little bit of respect 4 u if u changed ur name to " Gob****e"!! At least then everyone would no who their dealing wit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Good to see you reusing your insults (you PM'd me this earlier?) the same way RM reuse stale blues songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I concur, the Riptide movement=booooring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Max___Power

Giblet wrote: »
    Good to see you reusing your insults (you PM'd me this earlier?) the same way RM reuse stale blues songs.
    Just letting the public know ur ignorance gibby, RM playing Olympia Nov10, 1600 people I think might disagree with u!! If u tag along, u never know, u might be converted??

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Listened to beautiful classical violin music on Henry Street yesterday afternoon (Saturday 18th August) while the other half was shopping. I have no knowledge of classical music and would love to know what piece the guy was playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

They are part and parcel of the city, the good and the bad. No tourist will have their opinion of Dublin ruined by a 15 year old kid singing wonderwall.

Also, why should we delegate the responsibility for vetting acts to the Dublin City Council (who excel oh so well in so many other fields). Technically buskers are put to a public vote as it is. The crap ones dont make money and don't return. The great ones like the quartets mentioned, make more money and come back again and again. Plus, what guarantee have you that the council would be open to unusual acts, things that break the mould which is one of the great things about buskers and street performers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Remember the Diceman? Sometimes he dressed up as a can of fanta or some other such crap. As kids, we used to run up behind him and kick the daylights out of it as hard as we could. Then, when he was on that ad for AIDS, I used to think I caught AIDS off him because I kicked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I like the old guy with the slide guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I think there are some great buskers from time to time, but lately everyone's being drowned out by big bands with huge amplification.

I remember going into Marks and Spencer one evening and on my way in there was this fabulous male choir just outside. Older fellas, fabulous tight barbershop-style harmonies. Loved it. Went in and picked up a few bits in M&S and by the time I left, a big rock bank had set up 20 metres away at a massive volume, so the choir had to go.
    So basically that whole half of Grafton Street was now drowned out by a band.

The other thing I HATE is those sand dogs, don't know if they've been mentioned (didn't read the whole thread). How come they are always just finished, with just the finishing touches being added? Has anyone seen them being started off, or even half-way done? I always want to kick it as I'm going past, to reveal the dog-shaped plastic casing underneath!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

He did a pig with piglets in the sand on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The best thing about Grafton was The Riptide Movement u plonker giblet!!! Get that stuffing outa ur ears ya giblet!!! And for the record, anyone who calls themselves "Giblet", can hardly go around takin the piss outa anyone, especially thee hardest working band in the country!! I'd actually have a little bit of respect 4 u if u changed ur name to " Gob****e"!! At least then everyone would no who their dealing wit!!

Take a week off to calm down & read the forum charter. Personal abuse is not tolerated on this site. Carry on like this & your access privileges may be removed permanently.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Larianne wrote: »
    He did a pig with piglets in the sand on Saturday.

When you say he did it, did you actually see him do it? Or was he just smoothing the corners and adding the finishing touches while you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Kooli wrote: »
    When you say he did it, did you actually see him do it? Or was he just smoothing the corners and adding the finishing touches while you were there?

Nope , of course not! :pac: Although my friend said she did see him starting out a dog sculpture before. I'm still not convinced. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alltacht

The buskers are all well and good... unless you work on grafton street.. and the same guy is outside your shop every day.. singing the same three songs over and over. I console myself in thinking how much worse it must be for him :P (And sometimes thankfully someone else might rob his spot for a day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

alltacht wrote: »
    The buskers are all well and good... unless you work on grafton street.. and the same guy is outside your shop every day.. singing the same three songs over and over. I console myself in thinking how much worse it must be for him :P (And sometimes thankfully someone else might rob his spot for a day!)

Yeah, a couple of years ago I had to pop down to the Carphone Warehouse on Grafton Street on my lunchbreak. I had to queue up for ten minutes on a very hot day and was getting a little tetchy anyway which wasn't helped by the fact that outside the front door was the single worst busker I've ever seen or heard.

He spent (I swear) eight minutes stumbling through his rendition of 'Eight Days a Week'. It's a two and a half minute song. He managed to stretch it out so long because every time he made a mistake with the lyrics or a line of the tune he'd start that line again. He'd repeat some lines so many times that it almost sounded like he was rapping.

I felt very sorry for the people working in that shop that day having to listen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I've begun to suspect that some buskers have decided to earn-while-they-practice.

I've also decided the nice harp lady on College Green is my favourite act, but I'm not sure that counts for this Grafton St thread.

In any case, An Bord Busc will hopefully begin to regulate repetitive playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I've also decided the nice harp lady on College Green is my favourite act, but I'm not sure that counts for this Grafton St thread.

She's one of the good ones. There's also the accordion lady, who seems so unassuming and yet is there pretty much every time I'm around Grafton St. I'm not a huge fan of that kind of music, but I prefer to hear it than some of the younger guys with guitars, or indeed those amplified eejits around Marks and Spencer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was on Henry street yesterday, the chalk guy was there writing all over the pavement, taking over a fair bit >.<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

And it's not just the buskers with the amps on Grafton Street who might be causing the public serious hearing damage but also HMV. Who do they think they are with their massive speakers out on the street blasting music that can sometimes be heard more than a block away? That shop had hurt my ears as I've walked by. Seriously. Not to mention Tower Records, their music is often so loud that you can hear it when in front of M&S. They should be fined for this and it should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Axolotl

Is atonal-singing-and-stick-banging person still going? Could never figure that out...

You see him the odd time, I think. A friend of mine asked him what the deal was, and he said (in extremely dodgy English; he's japanese apparently) that he's performing a traditional Shinto blessing on the area..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Walked down grafton street saturday seen some girl across from river island singing with a guitar - unbelievable seriously!! I never really listen to the buskers but she was great. Puts her own touch on songs but sounds unreal. , needs to be signed up any1 know who she is ? Only young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Ah heyor, leave it ouh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Walked down grafton street saturday seen some girl across from river island singing with a guitar - unbelievable seriously!! I never really listen to the buskers but she was great. Puts her own touch on songs but sounds unreal. , needs to be signed up any1 know who she is ? Only young too.

You wouldn't be her agent/relation by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

You wouldn't be her agent/relation by any chance?
    If I was I wouldn't be asking who she was u idiot

If I was I wouldn't be asking who she was u idiot

Ah relax will ya, i was only having a laugh. It's the oldest trick in the book someone looking for publicity writing something about themselves pretending they're an interested bystander or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Unless this was a clever ploy to draw attention to her :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Unless this was a clever ploy to draw attention to her :pac:

Exactly. And said much better than my attempt above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Anyone see the Asian chapped wearing a duck hat, slapping a guitar and generally looking fairly stupid on Grafton Street on Saturday. Had some sort of squeaky toy under his foot too. Had to look twice, thought I was seeing things.

Advertisement