Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player - can you save a clip?

• 23-06-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭

As per title. I'd like to save a currently available RTE Player video onto my hard disk. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Have you tried using realplayer. The video recording icon should appear on the RTE player as it's playing and save it to your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Have you tried using realplayer. The video recording icon should appear on the RTE player as it's playing and save it to your computer.

I have used realplayer. I can download and save videos from youtube fine that way clicking on the "download this video" button

Problem is, with the RTE viewer it only seems to download the little ad that is shown before the main feature

This is the feature (RTE 6.1 news from last Friday) that I am trying to download: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1050480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

It's geoblocked or something and you aren't meant to be able to download it. RTÉ doesn't allow some videos to be downloaded to realplayer, the ones on RTÉ Player I think.

Would this not be a copyright violation anyway. I know there are people out there who know how to get them though.

wrote: »
    It's geoblocked or something and you aren't meant to be able to download it.

It might be geoblocked, but I am in Ireland - I can watch it :)

(can anyone confirm the RTE player is geoblocked, like the BBC iPlayer?)
    Would this not be a copyright violation anyway.

I don't think so. I could have recorded the news on video fully legally but I didn't get to it in time
    I know there are people out there who know how to get them though.

Will you ask those people and let me know how to get them? :)

unkel wrote: »
    It might be geoblocked, but I am in Ireland - I can watch it :)

(can anyone confirm the RTE player is geoblocked, like the BBC iPlayer?)

I don't think so. I could have recorded the news on video fully legally but I didn't get to it in time

Will you ask those people and let me know how to get them? :)

I asked but they won't tell me. Why do you want the news anyway? Could you not just download it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Enter the file name into file2hd.com and select the video option. Press enter and the video file will show. Right click and save as.

Works great for ripping songs off bands pages and stuff too! Enjoy!

That just won't work.

Enter the file name into file2hd.com and select the video option. Press enter and the video file will show. Right click and save as.

Doesn't work. It is not a file name. This is the video clip I am trying to download:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1050480
    Why do you want the news anyway?

Cause someone I know is in it :)
    Could you not just download it.

That's exactly what I would like to do. How can I just download it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

As long as you are using firefox :)

This app automatically downloads all video clips played on the internet, into an .flv file format that can easily be converted with the likes of FormatFactory.

Here is the link :)

http://www.web-video-downloader.com/

Just tested Rte player and it works great.

CutzEr wrote: »
    As long as you are using firefox :)

This app automatically downloads all video clips played on the internet, into an .flv file format that can easily be converted with the likes of FormatFactory.

Here is the link :)

http://www.web-video-downloader.com/

Just tested Rte player and it works great.

Tried that with FF 3 and again, I can download from youtube fine and on the RTE player I can only download the ad, not the 6.1 news

Any chance anyone could try with my RTE player link? I'd like to rule out I'm doing something stupid here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I good thing to use for downloading stuff like this is Safari. It has an activity window where it shows you the address of every element in the page. I had a look at the rte player link and all I could find was the ad (which is a separate flv file and why all those sites keep downloading it). You'll have to search through all the other files it downloads (XML files etc) and search for the address of the flv file. I couldn't find it myself.

unkel wrote: »
    Tried that with FF 3 and again, I can download from youtube fine and on the RTE player I can only download the ad, not the 6.1 news

Any chance anyone could try with my RTE player link? I'd like to rule out I'm doing something stupid here :D

That won't work. You're not meant to be able to download these videos. if you were I'm sure RTÉ would have left a nice little download button there and not have encrypted the whole page making it harder to find the actual video file.

mobius42 wrote: »
    I good thing to use for downloading stuff like this is Safari. It has an activity window where it shows you the address of every element in the page. I had a look at the rte player link and all I could find was the ad (which is a separate flv file and why all those sites keep downloading it). You'll have to search through all the other files it downloads (XML files etc) and search for the address of the flv file. I couldn't find it myself.

Tried Safari and can't find the flv file in the xml file it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,756 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lads,

This is copyright infringement.. you're not meant to be able to download these clips.

End of discussion!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement