Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Because!

dean.jpg

(Rule of thumb: your lock should be at least 10% as sensible as your bike.)

Had the worst commute in/out today I've ever had. But seeing this makes it all better. I like the giant pink bell the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

How can you tell the two pigs are Rangers fans?

Because they look like it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Got windscreen washer-ed on the way in this morning. Now I smell faintly of washing up liquid. :/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    Got windscreen washer-ed on the way in this morning. Now I smell faintly of washing up liquid. :/
    Reminds me of the time when I was a student (December 1979 IIRC), and we ended up with a "fairy liquid" fight in the halls of residence. I forgot all about it until I was at a Coventry City v Man U football match a couple of weeks later. Those were the days of uncovered terraces and on what was a truely miserable day weather-wise, and when the heavens opened my coat started foaming.Got a few strange looks that day. Anyway, the important thing is we won ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Beasty wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time when I was a student (December 1979 IIRC), and we ended up with a "fairy liquid" fight in the halls of residence. I forgot all about it until I was at a Coventry City v Man U football match a couple of weeks later. Those were the days of uncovered terraces and on what was a truely miserable day weather-wise, and when the heavens opened my coat started foaming.Got a few strange looks that day. Anyway, the important thing is we won ...

That's retro-tastic - like a Malory Towers/Roy of the Rovers/Nanette Newman mash-up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Reminds me of the time when I was a student (December 1979 1897 IIRC), and we ended up with a "fairy liquid" fight in the halls of residence. I forgot all about it until I was at a Coventry City v Man U football match a couple of weeks later. Those were the days of uncovered terraces and on what was a truely miserable day weather-wise, and when the heavens opened my coat started foaming.Got a few strange looks that day. Anyway, the important thing is we won ...

FYP ;)

(PS Think Giggs and Scholes made their debut's that day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

FYP
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

AstraMonti wrote: »
    WHY?!

meh - already been done. Anyone remember 'the world's greatest Madone'?

world%27s+greatest+trek.jpg

It's the mirrors that make it pure poetry in motion.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement

Is there a bike in that photo?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lumen wrote: »
    Why does that LPG tanker have floodlights mounted above the hatch?

It's Wall-E!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's Wall-E!

Looks more like Number 5 from Short Circuit to me. Easy to get them confused.

Bloody hell, the guy we had to deal with marshalling the ladies' league in Sandyford tonight. Swerved around a marshall with an outstretched hand indicating for him to stop, clipping the marshall's fingers with his mirror, and then stopped the car in the middle of the junction so he could get out and give out that the marshall had hit his car! :eek: Luckily no crashes or injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Bloody hell, the guy we had to deal with marshalling the ladies' league in Sandyford tonight. Swerved around a marshall with an outstretched hand indicating for him to stop, clipping the marshall's fingers with his mirror, and then stopped the car in the middle of the junction so he could get out and give out that the marshall had hit his car! :eek: Luckily no crashes or injuries.

Hope he didn't have a hurley in the boot of his car.

Tasteless comment, sorry

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In the vets race on Sunday we had someone overtaking (at high speed)the bunch on the inside - basically using the hard shoulder and then swerving back into the road to overtake a couple of guys who were a bit further up the road on the hard shoulder. It was the finishing straight (penultimate lap), and there was plenty of room to get past on the outside (although he would have had to cross the unbroken white line). It would have been very easy for any of the riders hearing him coming from behind to move left in the expectation of giving him room to then find themselves directly in his path

Unfortunately I think we are 1 digit short of a full reg number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

In the vets race on Sunday we had someone overtaking (at high speed)the bunch on the inside - basically using the hard shoulder and then swerving back into the road to overtake a couple of guys who were a bit further up the road on the hard shoulder. It was the finishing straight (penultimate lap), and there was plenty of room to get past on the outside (although he would have had to cross the unbroken white line). It would have been very easy for any of the riders hearing him coming from behind to move left in the expectation of giving him room to then find themselves directly in his path

Two years back a similar thing happened to me. Heading up a one way street, where a car behind me decided that undertaking me by mounting the footpath was preferable to either (a) overtaking me with the oceans of space available or (b) waiting till we travelled to the t-junction about 50 meters up the road.
    He clipped me and sent me across the road.

I had a full reg, car make etc and it occurred around the corner from Pearse St garda station. The gardai could not have been more unhelpful. They said that without evidence there was nothing they could do and the on street cameras in the area only showed me passing followed by a car - they were not pointed in the direction of the incident. I kept chasing up when I was told in no uncertain terms by the sergeant that the individual came from an "undesirable" neighbourhood and it would be best if it was forgotten about as nothing could be proven.

Best of luck with the reg - hopefully you will meet a garda that is more diligent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »
    Best of luck with the reg - hopefully you will meet a garda that is more diligent.

The IVCA has a fair quota of Garda and ex Garda and they are "on the case"!!

Unfortunately I think we are 1 digit short of a full reg number

I've heard that said as well but surprised you announced it in public!

• Advertisement

I just heard back from a Garda about a Trafficwatch case I reported last year. Car pulled out from a side road in front of me, which forced me to swerve around him. I gave out to him as I overtook on the outside, and pulled in ahead of him. He overtook me further down the road, and then pulled in close to the kerb and braked. Not coming to a complete stop, but enough to get the message across. Unfortunately it seems I didn't get the right reg, and nothing can be done. She said she tried a few other close reg numbers, but nothing matched.

Have to give Crumlin DO a ring later, follow up on another case from last June. This one at least I know I have the right reg, and it was far more blatantly aggressive.

The Gardaí have always been helpful in my experience. Though I'm pretty sure one pulled out across me on Merrion Square yesterday before driving into the Taoiseach's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

How long does it usually take to hear back on a case reported to Trafficwatch?

I reported a driver on the 1st of December, and said I'd be willing to make a statement etc., but haven't heard anything since. Given the approach of christmas and holiday priorities, I didn't expect an overnight turnaround, but it's been over 4 months now. Would the Guards usually let you know it's been dealt with, even if they'd just paid the driver a visit to soften his cough?

I got helped ditch-wards a couple of years ago near Balbriggan by a clown in a BMW X5 going for a gap to undertake a tractor that I was already occupying.

Reported it to the Guards, and I was lucky enough to have a witness. The Guards were great and they did me the courtesy of being honest and up front about what they could and could not do.

Anyway, upshot was he got a visit from a couple of Traffic Corps Guards who had a chat with him.

EDIT: @docotorbob - they called me after to let me know what had happened. It also happened very quickly, less than a week from being reported to him getting a visit.

Doctor Bob wrote: »

I reported a driver on the 1st of December, and said I'd be willing to make a statement etc., but haven't heard anything since. Given the approach of christmas and holiday priorities, I didn't expect an overnight turnaround, but it's been over 4 months now. Would the Guards usually let you know it's been dealt with, even if they'd just paid the driver a visit to soften his cough?

In the first case, it was January 2011 when it happened/reported, March 2011 when I was asked to make a statement. I didn't hear anything before I went away (Sept-Feb), so I've been trying to follow up since I got back. I'm not sure if they weren't going to bother telling me because nothing happened, or if they'd been trying to get in touch while I was away (possible, but I had the phone with me).

In the second case, happened June 2011, got a call from Tallaght in August that they'd sent it on to Crumlin to deal with it. Again, heard nothing while I was away. Appears to have fallen through the cracks after the referral between stations. So it's always worth giving a call to the station, see what the story is.

If you call Trafficwatch again, give them the details, they'll be able to tell you the name and station of the Garda assigned to deal with the case. Getting a hold of the individual can be tough, due to their unsociable hours and workload, but just keep trying.

edit: in short, about 3/4 months after the incident. But just give them a polite inquiring call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was wondering the same, had some guy try to have me rear end him before speeding off about 8 weeks ago. Normally I'd just think he was a dick and not worry about it, this time I had my wife, toddler and two dogs in the car. Same as youself, said I'd make a statement to a garda, never heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Would the Guards usually let you know it's been dealt with, even if they'd just paid the driver a visit to soften his cough?

It took them well over a month (had almost forgotten about it) to get back to me about an extremely aggressive driver I reported. I got a phone call asking whether I wanted to press charges or just give him a warning.

I decided to go the warning route which resulted in a talking to from the Traffic Corp. and a record that he had been previously reported.

I got a phone call after the Traffic Corp. had paid him a visit to let me know they he had been given a stern talking to.

Perhaps ring Traffic Watch back and ask them what progress has been made on your case?

In another lesson to try follow up after a couple of months if you haven't heard anything, I was just on to Crumlin there. It appears that some particular period has lapsed, and they're not sure if anything can be done about the June 2011 case. But they're looking into it and getting back to me. I was talking to a wonderfully helpful woman in the office there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

My one experience with TrafficWatch was positive. Coming back from a club spin on the Firhouse Rd, this husband and wife team of loons opened the passenger door as they overtook and started wailing about us being 2 abreast. They barely missed the front of the group with the door as they passed. He was still screaming and making to get out of the car when we caught up to them at the next lights. Called Trafficwatch when I got home and got a call from the guards a week later who spent 10 minutes going over everything and said they would be calling them to explain the rules of the road.

Before making the call to Trafficwatch it helps to check the reg on www.motorcheck.ie to verify you've got a match to the make and colour and gives you the opportunity to check a couple of alternatives if you think you might be a digit out.

Wish I'd got the reg of the old dear who tried her best to kill me on Sunday, 1km into my ride on Sandyford Roundabout...

Rofo wrote: »
    Before making the call to Trafficwatch it helps to check the reg on www.motorcheck.ie to verify you've got a match to the make and colour and gives you the opportunity to check a couple of alternatives if you think you might be a digit out.

In my case, the wrong reg corresponded to the same model of car, and one in the area too. Bad luck or bad eyesight on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

In my case, the wrong reg corresponded to the same model of car, and one in the area too. Bad luck or bad eyesight on my part.

That is unlucky. The chances of that happening must be quite low

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement