Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robocop (Reboot)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/robocop/21440/gary-oldman-joins-robocop
    Thats inspiring a little more confidence anyway.

Well yeah; confidence the Oldman family won't starve this Christmas :)

Like the Total Recall remake, this reboot seems like an ill-judged cashgrab based off the goodwill and love for the original film. Unlike the Total Recall remake, there's not enough material out there yet to pass judgement to be fair though.

Only way something like this could ever succeed would be if the studio got a genuinely talented and creative bunch together & simply gave them total freedom, take the concept into unknown territory. If it becomes a cookie-cutter studio action pic, it'll doom itself to mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

faceman wrote: »
    No no no no no no.

No one will be able to capture the humour that Verhoeven created when he made the movie. And even if someone could, you have to ask "Why bother?"

As the robocop sequels and tv show showed us, no one was able to recreate what Verhoeven did without making it look retarded or farcical.

Could'nt have put it better myself.....what a great film.....25 years old !!!!!

"Id buy that for a dollar !!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

faceman wrote: »
    No no no no no no.

No one will be able to capture the humour that Verhoeven created when he made the movie. And even if someone could, you have to ask "Why bother?"

As the robocop sequels and tv show showed us, no one was able to recreate what Verhoeven did without making it look retarded or farcical.

Good points although now you have "There's no limit" by 2 Unlimited stuck in my head.

Most remakes and reboots lose the subtleties of the previous works upon which they're based and that's simply due to a lack of imagination and the law of diminishing artistic returns. It's also why I refuse to watch them for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No amount of shiny and sterile CGI can ever touch the fantastic makeup of the movie.
    Robo-makeup-72.jpg
    robocop-peter-weller.jpg
    robocop.jpg
    Melting-man-72.jpg

Still will have to see where this movie will be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^^^^

Mother of god that's graphic!! Never looked as bad in the movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

To me, CGI so often feels like I'm watching Roger Rabbit with cartoon characters drawn in around the live action. It's about as convincing to most discerning audiences but apparently there's not enough of them around to discourage it's overuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Faith+1 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

Mother of god that's graphic!! Never looked as bad in the movie!

Looks just like that in the film, a lot of TV stations used an edited version that cut most of that out though

• Registered Users Posts: 84,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Samuel L. Jackson will star in the remake of Robocop, as a media mogul named Pat Novak, which does not sound as a good guy name to me. Joel Kinnaman will play the eponymous police officer-turned-cyborg and Gary Oldman will play the scientist who creates him. José Padilha is directing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Joel Kinnamon has said the visor will be see through, so you'll see his eyes.

Do.Not.Like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

Samuel L. Jackson will star in the remake of Robocop, as a media mogul named Pat Novak, which does not sound as a good guy name to me.

:D Why not? What did the Novaks ever do to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

FlashD wrote: »
    :D Why not? What did the Novaks ever do to you?

When are moguls ever good?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The real baddie will be the CEO of OmniCorp, who created RoboCop. Who's going to play that part? Hugh Laurie is in negotiations. I wonder which accent he'll use: American, English, or Cockroach?

(According to the Variety piece, Novak is a "patriotic" media mogul. Not sure what that means in terms of character.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

http://www.omnicorp.com/

First look at new ED-209 and small glimpse of the man himself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

http://www.omnicorp.com/

First look at new ED-209 and small glimpse of the man himself

The charm of the original ED-209 was the impractical "new car" look with a fecking radiator on the front of it. Stupidly designed, unable to go down stairs, designed by committee etc. Whereas the one in the trailer looks effective.

Jackie Earle Haley's joined the cast, playing 'Maddox' who gives Robocop military training. Jay Baruchel is apparently close to joining as well

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jackie Earle Haley's joined the cast, playing 'Maddox' who gives Robocop military training. Jay Baruchel is apparently close to joining as well

Jay Baruchel? I presume they're giving him a comic relief side-kick then, a Rob Schneider to Robocop's Judge Dredd? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was just thinking of Robocop 2 and while it was flawed and nowhere near as good as the 1st, the stop-animation was superb in it.

Going from their new Ed-209 design, it'll be interesting where they'll be going with the film considering the original robot was a satire on American design (Completely bulky with useless bits stuck on him for show)

Not found of Jay Baruchel, he does actually remind me of Rob Schneider 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Baruchel is clearly going to play Cecil the clerk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I kept expecting someone to shout "there the wrong trousers Grommit!" in that clip, but still looks good all the same. I actually enjoyed Robocop 2 when it first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Jesus Christ that is terrible. Hope it's a fake.

It is, don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It is, don't worry

Thank fook for that if that was real I would have lost all hope :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Didn't they say the visor would be see through? There's your reasoning, it's fake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh dear God that's awful. Enough to put me off seeing it unless they release a really good trailer.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

With the knowledge that José Padilha's directing it, Robocop could look like this and I'd still be going.

xufMBl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

You know why movies suck nowadays?

It's cause they don't have scenes like this anymore...

They either have a PG-13 rating and a story, or if they get an R rating they think "must just aswell go full on" and go overboard with the gore.

The 80s had great, simple stories(nowadays every action movie is a spy thriller with a twist), great acting, charisma, cheese and a tasteful amount of gore in them.

And it really showed that everyone just put their love into the movie to make it as good as they could, it showed that the directors were young and amateur, not knowing exactly what they are doing, but still very talented and wanted to make something good and were willing to experiment and try new ideas.

Nowadays you get a bunch of know-it-all executives sitting around discussing which audience should they target for maximum profit, it's a factory, a conveier... "hmm, yes Bill, we need to make it a PG-13, teenagers like cars and girls right? We need to have that too, but not too much skin cause we might hit that R, also what were the memorable quotes and phrases from the first movie? Let's put those in, the audience will love it."

Movie making maybe more streamlined and "professional" nowadays, but they took all the spirit out of movies, no risk taking at all.

Also they are gutless! They put a woman in that travesty of a remake of The Thing not because of the story and necessity, no, they put her there cause they wanted to be PC about it and were afraid of the backlash from some feminist group.

This movie will suck, The Thing remake sucks, Total Recall remake sucks, the whole Hollywood sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ this really, moviemaking by committee is way to prevalent in Hollywood these days, too many markets, key demographics, maximised market awareness blah blah blah, action movies have no soul anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Watched Robocop for the first time in ages on Friday and I forgot just how good it is! Tried to watch the sequel though and turned it off after about 20 minutes. :pac:

• Advertisement

They made the original script by Frank Miller for Robocop 2 into a comic. Oddly, we got a film of the original's quality in comparison to the original script.
    I really hate how they always try to inject comedy into every single flick nowadays. I remember the Donegal Democrat gave The Dark Knight 4 stars out of 5 citing lack of comedy as a flaw.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement