Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I put two stroke mix into my car?

• 26-03-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I've a full 5l can of two stroke mix to dispose of. Can I just pour it into my car petrol tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not unless you drive a Trabant.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hey, so I've a full 5l can of two stroke mix to dispose of. Can I just pour it into my car petrol tank?

You sure can!!!!! Just don't expect it to ever run again:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

That has to be a joke, 2 stroke oil has urm...oil in it!!
    If you put it in a 4 stroke car it will run like a bag of spanners and you will also be shelling out for a new fuel injection system!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Melodeon

If you have an older car with a carburettor and without too much electrickery, it should be fine, especially if it's diluted further by the 'clean' petrol in the tank. It'll be a bit smokey, depending on the strength of the original premix and how much clean petrol it was diluted with, but it won't do any harm to the engine or the fuel system.

If you have a more modern car with fuel injection and all manner of electronic engine management and catalytic converters and stuff on it, I'd be very shy of doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Find somebody with a 2-stroke bike, outboard or lawnmower or something and give it to them. A standard 4-stroke petrol engine isn't going to benefit from it in anyway so why run the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Love the smell of 2 stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Im fairly sure that apart from smoking a bit it'll do no damage at all except put on an emission light on the dash. Infact it'll probably oil up a few bits that might need it :)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Im fairly sure that apart from smoking a bit it'll do no damage at all except put on an emission light on the dash. Infact it'll probably oil up a few bits that might need it :)

I hope thats more joking?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Assuming the mix is 1:50 (thats 100 ml oil in 5 liter) and your tank holds another 45 liter of fresh petrol, the mixture is then 1: 500 ...that's a homeopathic dosage ...just lash it in there, won't make any difference.
    (unless you actually believe in homeopathy, of course :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

peasant wrote: »
    Assuming the mix is 1:50 (thats 100 ml oil in 5 liter) and your tank holds another 45 liter of fresh petrol, the mixture is then 1: 500 ...that's a homeopathic dosage ...just lash it in there, won't make any difference.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

Are things REALLY that bad???? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

I wouldnt put it near it, it will contaminate your Lambda sensors and cause problems with your injectors.

For the sake of 7 euro of fuel, you could cost yourself hundreds. if ya have a lawnmower or a chainsaw, fill them up with it or maybe a neightbour might be glad of it if you need the container.

Ive heard of people putting a small amount of two stroke into wankel engine cars alright though

Injector tollerances are measures in one thousands of a milimeter so having contaminants, of any sort in fuel will not end well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Well don't hang onto it for a trabant as the new Trabants will be running on lecky only.

Trabants coming to a street near you soon, Driven by Minister Gormley.

trabant_ev_01_gPaDe_69.jpg

electric_trabant02_J6JJZ_69.jpg

electric_trabant_03_R42hW_69.jpg

Injector tollerances are measures in one thousands of a milimeter so having contaminants, of any sort in fuel will not end well!

Since when is oil a contaminant when it comes to engines and moving parts?:D
    All it will do to the injectors is lubricate them for a split second.

There may conceivable be issues with the exhaust side of things ...but how much smoke or soot can one 500th part of oil produce?

@ OP ..if you still have doubts, send the canister to me, I'll burn it in the two-stroke monster mower:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

1: 500 ...that's a homeopathic dosage ...just lash it in there, won't make any difference.

A homeopathic dosage is more like 1: 1000000000000000000000000 ;)

That figure used to be much higher than that, until it was scientifically proven that there was feck all chance that there was even one single molecule of the original mixture in the diluted mixture. The belief of homeopathy had to quickly change their rules then of course.

I don't think I would risk it. The highest possible gain is to save €6. The highest possible loss is ...? As someone else said, give it away to your neighbour with a petrol lawnmower

Since when is oil a contaminant when it comes to engines and moving parts?:D
    All it will do to the injectors is lubricate them for a split second.

Anything is a contaminent when it is somewhere it shouldn't be and to say oil would 'lubricate' the injector might be right up there with saying that a tyre is only flat at the bottom!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Modern cars have lots of sensors, also CATS in exhausts.
    While it may not harm the engine, it MAY harm the sensors and cause electrical problems, then its a visit the men in the white coats with their laptops, to check the problem.Costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

personally i wont risk....
    i would be more concerend with carbon build up as it burn and exits the engine.....

as said already, the risk vs the potential isues that might result are not worth it....

give it away or dispose of it correctly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Stinicker wrote: »

I like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I'd pass on it TBH, modern stuff is so finely honed to work on specific lubricants, fuel specs etc that introducing a whacko mixture might cause all sorts of headaches. Given the cost of sorting problems on cars these days I'd be inclined to give it a miss. The cost/benefit analysis as they say dosen't stack up.

I once filled an R5 with a (freebie) 80% petrol 20% diesel mix... Pinked & smoked like hell) It was the first trip down country to meet the GF's family, Dublin to Limerick. Got to Newbridge and the top rad hose exploded, blowing up the bonnet in the process... it melted on the silencer. Got to Birdhill and was rear-ended by a car full of Belfast boys heading to the Rose of Tralee.

Karma methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If you have oil central heating pour it in the tank (pref when there's a good lot of oil in there to dilute it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you can get it to Cork i'll use it in my 2 stroke DKW

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

eBay.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

2 stroke is hardly a bit of sand lol. It mixes and it all come from the same place.

lash it in there lad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Surely a mix of 2 stroke is the same as someone putting some diesel in their petrol car,realising their mistake and then topping up with petrol??

I used to do this regularly in my previous job do this in my own car when we drain it from a car that someones done it in(and insisted on the tank being drained) and so did most of the mechanics in the job.Sometimes it was as high as a 50/50 mix but we just separated it into 4 barrells and filled up with petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I hope thats more joking?:rolleyes:

Nope! Infact I've used it a couple of times myself on cars that i've traded in that were a little bit tight. If some old dear was driving a car for years on short runs at low speed the engine will be all bunged up. Solution: Dump in a drop of 2 stroke and nail it for a while, if that doesnt work then drain all the oil out and re-fill up to the two thirds level on the dipstick and repeat the nailing process :D

Now while im on it, I know a guy who drains the oil from diesel engines and re-fills the sump with Diesel.....yes you read that right. He then lets the engine tick over for an hour and re-drains the sump, fills it back up with oil and away she goes. What you end up with is a 10 year old diesel that sounds and runs like brand new. Oh and he hasnt managed to kill one yet :p

to say oil would 'lubricate' the injector might be right up there with saying that a tyre is only flat at the bottom!:rolleyes:

We are talking about the smallest of those containers of oil
    http://www.husqvarna.com/c/i/prd/h/two-stroke-oil,-low-smoke-h410-0257-390b7857.jpg diluted in 50 or so liters of fuel

I'm sure it'll bend the injectors right out of shape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Anything is a contaminent when it is somewhere it shouldn't be and to say oil would 'lubricate' the injector might be right up there with saying that a tyre is only flat at the bottom!:rolleyes:

The tyre is only flat at the bottom, the rest of the tyre has no pressure in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Now while im on it, I know a guy who drains the oil from diesel engines and re-fills the sump with Diesel.....yes you read that right. He then lets the engine tick over for an hour and re-drains the sump, fills it back up with oil and away she goes. What you end up with is a 10 year old diesel that sounds and runs like brand new. Oh and he hasnt managed to kill one yet :p

My father who is a mechanic for over 40 years just laughed his ass off at that post. Hes exact words were "that guy is away with the fairys"

How can you expect an engine to run a steel crank in aluminum bearings like that? I just wouldnt listen to that guy saab!

The father said he could see 2 stroke working in an old car but he wouldnt touch a new car with it, too many sensors to screw up and also your adding carbon to the interior of the engine.

Advertisement