Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut & Almond Flour

• 27-02-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Anyone know where to buy these in Dublin? If not anywhere cheap on-line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Almond flour is ground almond. You can get it in any supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Just out of curiousity, what can you do with almond and coconut flours? Can they be substituted for wheat flour 1:1 in recipes for baked goods. It sounds delicious, as I'm a huge fan of both almonds and coconut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Stella - i love making pancakes with almond flour. they are nyom.

got this recipe of the interweb a while back and using it ever since. i use almond flour, carbonated water,eggs, pinch of salt and a dash of sweetner or sometimes cinnamon instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And I make pancakes with a mix of oats, coconut flour, egg & mik. I also add it to dry porridge oats and cold milk and have it for breakfast. Both are very high in calories, if you made a cake it would have a shocking amount of calories. I think it would be best to make a mixture, since coconut flour is so high in fat (~65%) you could leave out some fat/butter in your recipes. Not sure how cakes would turn out, but pancakes are pretty fool proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

you can use them to make gluten free and low carb cookies and cakes, almonds in particular make excellent cookies. Today I made the most amazing brownies ever usng black beans and ground almonds instead of flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

ULstudent wrote: »
    Stella - i love making pancakes with almond flour. they are nyom.

got this recipe of the interweb a while back and using it ever since. i use almond flour, carbonated water,eggs, pinch of salt and a dash of sweetner or sometimes cinnamon instead.

Wow I never heard of this recipe can't wait to try them thanks!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I used to use almond flour but I've switched to coconut simply because of the high omega 6 content and the fact that frying a polyunsaturated fat is not really a good idea.

A few almonds are fine but 200g of fried ground almonds is probably a little better than wheat flour but still to be avoided I think. Sorry to be a party pooper :o

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swansea

El Dangeroso, I came across this simple recipe which involves frying some almond flour (recipe from MarksDailyApple) : http://blog.myrrhmade.com/2010/08/almond-crusted-poached-egg.html

So that's a pretty bad idea then? How about coconut flour? Is that as bad/should be avoided when frying?

Feel free to recommend a replacement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can get coconut flour from everygreen.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Closing this as its years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement