Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water & Saddle bags

• 27-02-2012 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I was out on a 60km cycle yesterday and found that 3/4 way through I had emptied my water bottle. I was not passing any shops so I just kept going and toughed it out until I got home. I had a raging dehydration headache for most of the evening yesterday and found that I didn't sleep too well last night. I prehydrate fairly well, but I am always thirsty in the saddle.

Are most people bringing 2 bottles with them on the bike?

How are you carrying spares?
    I have a saddle bag which holds a tube and a multi-tool, but its full with all that. I have another triangular bag which straps on to the frame and hangs over the bosses for the second bottle cage. If I was to bring a second bottle, I wouldn't be able to bring the tri-bag.
    I know that the ideal solution is to get a bigger saddle bag. But I bring so much other stuff in the triangular bag, that i don't know how big of a saddle bag I'd need.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Ideally it would be something that would carry the tube, patches, glue and sandpaper, multi-tool, tyre levers, chain splitter and maybe even a second tube for a very long ride.

The saddle bags that I have seen for sale lately would only hold half of this stuff.

Any advice appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Why not use on of the pockets on your jersey to hold a spare bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most people manage the second bottle on the second bottle cage :)

What are you carrying that you need the second triangular bag?

I can get two tubes, a minipump, tyre lever, a chain tool, a multitool and patches into my saddlebag, and it's not that big. If I need to bring anything else (Jacket, etc) it goes into the pockets on the back of my jersey.

You can get attachments for pumps, etc that clip onto the bosses for the second bottle cage, along with the second bottle cage, so you can attach the pump to the frame and carry a second water bottle.

You should also be able to carry a full 500ml water bottle in one of your jersey pockets if you're stuck.

Maybe also try a larger bottle for your "main" one. I bring a 750ml and a 500ml. The 500ml only because a 750ml won't fit in the second cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'm with Seamus, a second bottle cage is the best way to go as far as I am concerned, and 750ml bottles are great (I normally bring two though I often don't even start on the second). I find carrying a full bottle in a jersey pocket is a real pain - I don't like bulky objects in the middle jersey pocket in case a falls pushes it against my spine, and in a side pocket it'll just pull the jersey to one side all the time which is a hassle.

I've seen some huge saddle bags on some bikes, which could probably hold a 500ml bottle, but I'm not a fan of those. Bigger/heavier means greater risk of the mount failing/breaking and having weight that high up on the bike itself may also affect handling of the bike when out of the saddle. Similar to seamus, my (fairly small) saddle bag holds tubes (2), tyre levers, a multitool (which includes a chain tool), some self-adhesive patches, and a tyre boot. My pump goes on the frame, my keys, phone, rain jacket and food all go in my pockets and still leave room to spare. I don't find I need anything else with me, but if I did and it wouldn't fit in my pockets then I'd opt for a very small backpack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I always bring two bottles. One of my frames has bolts for a third under the downtube.
    Why did you not knock on a door and ask for some tap water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

Two bottles on the bike, 2 tubes, gas cannister, small pump, multitool and gels/bars in my pockets! Sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

reilig wrote: »
    I was out on a 60km cycle yesterday and found that 3/4 way through I had emptied my water bottle. I was not passing any shops so I just kept going and toughed it out until I got home. I had a raging dehydration headache for most of the evening yesterday and found that I didn't sleep too well last night. I prehydrate fairly well, but I am always thirsty in the saddle.

Are most people bringing 2 bottles with them on the bike?

How are you carrying spares?
    I have a saddle bag which holds a tube and a multi-tool, but its full with all that. I have another triangular bag which straps on to the frame and hangs over the bosses for the second bottle cage. If I was to bring a second bottle, I wouldn't be able to bring the tri-bag.
    I know that the ideal solution is to get a bigger saddle bag. But I bring so much other stuff in the triangular bag, that i don't know how big of a saddle bag I'd need.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Ideally it would be something that would carry the tube, patches, glue and sandpaper, multi-tool, tyre levers, chain splitter and maybe even a second tube for a very long ride.

The saddle bags that I have seen for sale lately would only hold half of this stuff.

Any advice appreciated!!

My Topeak wedge saddle bag (medium) holds: glue/patch/sandpaper kit, 3 levers, mini-pump (can also be strapped to the outside loops), multi-tool, chain splitter, powerlink, 1 or 2 tubes (depending on the bike in use) and maybe even a light rain jacket. It's not a particularly bulky bag either.

Two bottles for me in the frame cages, but only in warmer weather; A 500ml with electrolytes and a 750ml with water.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's also worth getting to know regular watering holes on your routes. Lots of pubs will happily fill up your water bottle (especially if you stop for a sandwich), and place like the cafe in Laragh have a tap outside you can use to fill the bottle for free.

If you plan far enough ahead, you can set it up so that you arrive at a certain pub at roughly the same time your water bottle is empty. Pop in, sandwich (or whatever), fill the bottle and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

If required I'm prepared to use my iphone in lieu of a chain tool.

It can also solve a whole variety of other terminal cycling mechanicals.

Can be pricey to refill after use though.

2 1l bottles is what I go with, often with a stop for a refill (in a shop) on long spins if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

yeah just gonna say pubs are dodgy try and sell you bottle water ok if you have money with you:(
    anyway if you havent got a second bottle cage fitted to your bike then get one on it today always carry two bidons one water one high energy dring which you drink on the return journey;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I suspect if you dumped the triangular bag, you would save so much weight you wouldn't even need to put a second cage on the newly exposed bosses! :D

What on earth are you carrying around with you?

For a 60km spin, at this time of year especially, I personally wouldn't even empty 1 750ml bottle. In "summer" time, I might get through it, but there are plenty of shops around which sell bottles of water and there's always a couple of quid in my patch box, worst case.

• Advertisement

yeah just gonna say pubs are dodgy try and sell you bottle water ok if you have money with you:(
    Not if you ask for a pint of tapwater. Anecdotally, I believe they cannot refuse you tap water. This may not be true of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kenmc wrote: »
    What on earth are you carrying around with you?

A small puncture repair kit with levers, a chain splitter, a second tube (sometimes), a small pump, spare batteries for lights, mobile phone and maybe a banana or 2. :D

Its not really that heavy, its just convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Not if you ask for a pint of tapwater. Anecdotally, I believe they cannot refuse you tap water. This may not be true of course.
    i think your right on that btw good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Transporting

I would imagine you need to be thinking about what you are doing in terms of hydration before you ever get on the bike, you should try and stay well hydrated all the time by regularly drinking water every day. When drinking on the bike take sips instead of big mouthfulls. Mount a second bottle cage if you can also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Get a camelback

A small puncture repair kit with levers, a chain splitter, a second tube (sometimes),
    they all fit in the saddle bag
    a small pump
    attach it to the frame with the clips it comes with, or in the back pocket.
    spare batteries for lights, mobile phone and maybe a banana or 2.
    back pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

A small puncture repair kit with levers, a chain splitter, a second tube (sometimes), a small pump, spare batteries for lights, mobile phone and maybe a banana or 2. :D

Its not really that heavy, its just convenient.

If you are bringing bananas on a ride, make sure you get one of these.
    An essential piece of kit, for the gentleman who aspires for the very best in life.

they all fit in the saddle bag

Mine doesn't. I suppose that's why I posed the initial question. I was curious as to the size of saddle bag people are using. I thought mine was big enough, but it doesn't really hold what I carry

gman2k wrote: »
    If you are bringing bananas on a ride, make sure you get one of these.
    An essential piece of kit, for the gentleman who aspires for the very best in life.

Its a good job the ad has a description :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

I dunno, it sounds like you're going completely over the top with what you're bringing with you. I use the small version of the Topeak Aero Wedge and in it I have a spare tube, two Pedros tyre levers, a multi-tool, two powerlinks, full patch kit, iPhone, two latex gloves and I also fit the house keys & ATM card/notes in. Mini pump goes in the back pocket(s) along with any other food. You need to rationalize what you're bringing out. There's no need for spare batteries, just check what you have before leaving, if they're low - change them.

You can then bolt on a second cage and bring a second bottle. Personally, I bring just two 500ml bidons and rarely finish them both. Any shop with a deli will fill up the bottles with tap water for free if you just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Maybe your lacking space because the spare tube should be emptied of all air and tied up small with an elastic band. I easily fit two of these a mini pump, multi-tool and tyre leavers in one rear pocket, gilet in middle and iphone in right pocket. Also I think bringing one water bottle is enough (saves weight:D) but carry a few euro for coffee / shop stop to fill up as needed.

I did 60k on sunday. Started at 8am and was finished at 10.30am. Passed 4 shops on the route. All were closed. Passed a number of pubs, but nothing opens around here until the late afternoon. I live in the sticks after all!

I've never got a puncture while on the road TG. I have found 1 or 2 flat wheels on the bike after a cycle, but never had to change one on the road in over 1500km of cycling. The tube I carry is empty and tied up, so easy to carry.

Think I just need a bigger saddle bag - I don't feel comfortable carrying stuff in the Jersey pocket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

You could always put everything in your tri bag, then add one of these onto the back of your saddle, and only use one frame holder for a total of three holders.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47134

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46011

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

You really should be able to fit everything you need into even a small saddlebag. If not though, the behind the seat bottle cages might be a good option.
    There normally used on TT bikes, but no reason you cant fit them to a road bike too.
    No need to spend 50 quid on one either, I picked mine up for €6 in the lbs,and its worked fine for the past 2 yrs.
    You can even use them with a saddlebag if you get creative with the mount.:D

Advertisement