Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving license question

• 07-07-2004 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

hey just wondering how long it takes for your driving license to come back after you`ve sent off the form and the fee , I cant go out until i get mine back because its the only form of photo ID i have and I always get asked in pubs .?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I recntly renewed my licence and it took tow weeks to get back (10 working days) so i'd say it could take up to that long although you may get it back quicker although i doubt it would be inside a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I need it by the 23rd sent it today , because my 21st is that weekend and they never let me in without it , think i`ll have it by then ?I posted it today

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

It all depends where you sent it. I sent mine into kilkenny motor tax place and had it back in 4 days!! just bring your passport with you, even though it is a bit risky! if all else fails buy a birthday card with a "I'm 21 today" badge and they'll surely let you in

HK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

You're 21?
    You don't have a passport?

I'd say a holiday was in order, not a party.

tribble

yea i sent it to kilkenny 2 , ha i could do with a holiday , i must apply for me passport . meant to be going to america in september , how long do they take ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

2 weeks for a passport gauranteed if you use passport express at the post office.

Be thankful you didn't send your licence to Wicklow where it takes at least 8 I say 8 weeks to get it.

jasus why does it take that long in wicklow?thats crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    jasus why does it take that long in wicklow?thats crazy!

No one really knows why it takes so long. When I lived in Wicklow we had a golden rule "Never post anything to Wicklow motor tax office". If you needed car tax you went there yourself and got it.

When you needed a licence you went in there and demanded a receipt for your application/old licence so that you could cover yourself if stopped as you had no way in hell of producing within 10 days!

Its like the dark ages in there, it's another world!

sh*t i send it to kilkenny county council not motor tax office , will it still get there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

yeah same thing really...the motor tax office is in the county council offices! when they open it up they'll direct it the right way. i live in kilkenny so it was easier for me to just walk in with it. Dont know if posting it will take more time! all depends on when they open it i suppose.

HK

• Advertisement

thank god i was getting relly worried there since i need it back as soon as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

just wondering is it illegal to be carrying your drivers licence or passport for the purposes of a general form of ID ?

why would it be ? going into a club you need something and the age cards are meant to take ages to come back ?

dunno myself, but i remember it being an issue before. All this business about passport and drivers licence belonging to the state, (even though you have to buy the feckers). Both are only for the purposes of identification to authorities etc and not some monkey on a door. I think the whole thinking is that its far more dangerous to loose your passport or drivers licence than some college ID etc which obviously makes sense i.e. they are worth a hell of a lot of money on the blackmarket, but is anyone aware of an exact legal standing on this ?

hey why would you sell a drivers license on the black market?probly a stupid question but yea ?yea you see my college id doesnt have a date of birth on it , and the onli id i have is me drivers license.

well everything is sold on the blackmarket, so no doubt a drivers licence would go for a few squid, with a new pic and your details you could end getting done initially until you point out the obvious of course.

Your college ID has no date of birth......hmmmmm thats strange....thought they where on all college id's.

The way i see it if your asked for ID it ain't worth going into come to think of it if there is a monkey on the door its not worth even going into in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by tribble
    You're 21?
    You don't have a passport?

I'd say a holiday was in order, not a party.
    You can come to the U.K. without a passport. Not exactly an exotic destination though...... :D

yea dont think my college ID has a date of birth on it , hopefully i`l have it within the next two weeks though.
    yea PBC i`ll`be over in england over the next few weeks id say , thank god i dont need a passport , the morning of leaving id be doing a post how long to get a passport or something :D not very organised

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Hello,

In Wexford, I called in and got it in about 2 minutes (It was the middle of the month extremely quiet).

My brother posted his in on a Monday and got it back in Wednesday's post!

As regards using your licence for i.d. purposes, if you think about it, it's not really a definate proof unless you used your passport to get it.

If for example, you used your birth cert instead, how are they to know that it *really* is you!?

Then again, how to the passprt people know its really you either . . . :D

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    hey just wondering how long it takes for your driving license to come back after you`ve sent off the form and the fee , I cant go out until i get mine back because its the only form of photo ID i have and I always get asked in pubs .?

If you go out you better bring a passport or birthcert or even gardai id.

Quite a few pubs in Naas and Newbridge(Co. Kildare of you who are bad at Geography) don't accept a drivers license. They are too easy to forge seeminly.

Well hope that helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement