Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

shizz wrote: »
    I tried to run serious Sam last night but upon starting it it said it couldn't verify my drivers. I continued anyway to horrendous play back. I had my graphics card turned on but i didn't optirun the game. Could this be the issue?

It's a bit awkard to run using optirun. You have to start steam then add the steam libraries to the LD path. Look at the steam forum for details

Setting up games to run with optirun is the biggest issue so far for me. Every game is slightly different.

Anyone tried prime / primus instead of optirun? Have heard the performance is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

the year of linux gaming
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2Mzk
    In 2013 we will see Valve Software bring their other popular titles to Linux like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Half-Life 2, etc. We'll also see other advancements to the Steam Linux client and Source Engine. It's also not a pipe-dream to think that for future Valve games (Half-Life 3?) that there will be same-day (or near same-day) Linux support and that their new game engine is being designed with Linux in mind

Does phornoix know something we dont?
    they have in the past and openly said we cant say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

matrim wrote: »
    It's a bit awkard to run using optirun. You have to start steam then add the steam libraries to the LD path. Look at the steam forum for details

Setting up games to run with optirun is the biggest issue so far for me. Every game is slightly different.

Anyone tried prime / primus instead of optirun? Have heard the performance is much better

I tried doing what was suggested. Didn't work. Kept saying the sam3 executable could not be found even thought I was in the directory.

Also installed primus but I'm having problems with it and using the experimental 310 driver.

I tried doing what was suggested. Didn't work. Kept saying the sam3 executable could not be found even thought I was in the directory.

Also installed primus but I'm having problems with it and using the experimental 310 driver.
    I'll keep an eye out for your driver there a site that I was linked to that gave them As .deb
    What OS are you running
    Can't link till tomorrow , on phone and can't remember it's name

bpb101 wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for your driver there a site that I was linked to that gave them As .deb
    What OS are you running
    Can't link till tomorrow , on phone and can't remember it's name

I had to previously alter the optirun config to get it to work with 310 but I haven't found a similar tutorial regarding primusrun so I just altered a file to try direct it towards "nvidia-experimental-310" instead of "nvidia-current".

Using ubuntu 12.10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Can anyone recommend a dual sceen card for gaming that is verified for use with ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a dual sceen card for gaming that is verified for use with ubuntu.

Any newish NVIDIA card should be fine.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    try Ubuntu forums
    wouldn’t say you would have the best answer here tbh

I had to previously alter the optirun config to get it to work with 310 but I haven't found a similar tutorial regarding primusrun so I just altered a file to try direct it towards "nvidia-experimental-310" instead of "nvidia-current".

Using ubuntu 12.10
    Cant seem, to see it in above posts , what card do you have?

Cant seem, to see it in above posts , what card do you have?

Nvidia GT540M

• Advertisement

good news ,
    There was a new released of the drivers not last month ( 13 dec)
    and somebody already has a ppa found here

Any Red orchestra 2 players here?
    Any Red Orchestra 2 players want to play on linux - There MIGHT Be hope.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2NDk
    In an exchange on Twitter between Ryan Gordon (Ported The killing floor and Red Orchestra 1 to linux ( under unreal 2.5)) and John Gibson, the President of Tripwire Interactive, there's now hope for seeing a Linux port of Red Orchestra 2. Gibson congratulated Gordon on getting Unreal Engine 3 to work on Linux and says that "we should talk" after Gordon mentioned "RO2."

Twitter covo
    Fist quote 19 dec
    2nd quote 19 dec
    3rd quote today
    Derrick Ridda ‏@DerRidda @icculus So Mr. Gordon, any shenanigans with TWI and RO2 happening as a result of your UE3 work? RO2 on the Linuxes and I'd soil my pants.
    Details

Ryan C. Gordon ‏@icculus @DerRidda I don't know, what do you think about a Linux port of RO2, @RammJaeger? :)

John Gibson ‏@RammJaeger @icculus @derridda Great news you got UE3 working on Linux. We should talk ;)

steam linux console?
    ubuntu phone?

A new Item BY ubuntu - its related ,could be
    just read

Welcome to the year, of Linux Gaming!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

steam linux console?
    ubuntu phone?

A new Item BY ubuntu - its related ,could be
    just read

It had better be ubuntu for android. I keep getting miffed when I check the page and see that they haven't released a release date yet!

Khannie wrote: »
    It had better be ubuntu for android. I keep getting miffed when I check the page and see that they haven't released a release date yet!
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/meet-the-nexphone-an-ubuntu-based-smartphone-pc-tablet-and-laptop-in-one

it raised just over $3800 of its $950,000 goal. Dont expect it that soon

plus from what i can read, it seams to be something 'new' not adding to an existing product design - could be wrong though

EDIT: I Thinks its a smartphone design - why?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ and i quote " so close you can. [time till released inserted here] almost touch it.

pun on touch ?

EDIT 2: deffently phone
    "That’s why Unity in 2013 will be all about mobile – bringing Ubuntu to phones and tablets.....Broadening the Ubuntu community to include mobile developers who need new tools and frameworks to create mobile software." - Mark Shuttleworth -26 December 2012 http://www.markshuttleworth.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/meet-the-nexphone-an-ubuntu-based-smartphone-pc-tablet-and-laptop-in-one

it raised just over $3800 of its $950,000 goal. Dont expect it that soon

Ah Ubuntu for Android is different to that. I wouldn't see the reason to shell out for an unknown brand when Ubuntu have told me that my HTC will run it some time "in 2012". :)

I think you're right with the "touch" thing though. I'll tell you what though...if it's ubuntu for android, my holiday time suddenly became zero. :)

well with just over 3 hours the new years surprise will be announced , this suggest that a Linux console will be released around June .

LIVE at 5:45 - discuss the mystery

Join Benjamin Kerensa, Bilal Akhtar and José Antonio Rey with guest Jono Bacon to discuss the exciting Ubuntu product announcement today. We invite OMG! readers and Ubuntu users to join us and share their thoughts on the Ubuntu product being announce today.
    Time: 17:45 UTC (Click Here)
    Date: Today

shít edit : never gave a link

LINK IS ON OMG UBUNTU http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-product-launch-omg-google-hangout

They have announced an Ubuntu Phone OS. I would link but EVERYTHING IS DOWN!

• Advertisement

They have announced an Ubuntu Phone OS. I would link but EVERYTHING IS DOWN!
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-phone-os-unveiled-by-canonical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Somebody should probably start a thread on it. nothing really to do with steam.

I hope it's not a huge mistake (which it probably is).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

yea, i think your right masked man . i belive i had started one a few months ago.ill look it up - there was talk however of it begin related to steam but we were not that lucky

EDIT: Lets end this here and pick it up here

I was going to but put one in the Mobile forum to try generate some outside interest as well haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yeah, I don't know if the linux console idea will happen, it may be too soon to have a console released that will have far far less games than the competition..

Cliste wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know if the linux console idea will happen, it may be too soon to have a console released that will have far far less games than the competition..
    posted a linux console for june or march

hey folks, Serious sam 3 is now only 5.99 - voted by the community ( ids say a lot of linux nuts had their vote)

only for the next 9 and a half hours though so get the cards out quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Fcuk, already bought at 9.99. FML

• Advertisement

Some Stats ive aquired ,( Needed a calulator for the sums #1stworldproblems )
    Here Yous Go

About 1% using linux

Thoughts?

235051.png

Advertisement