Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's a new patch in the works, hopefully before Xmas. I think it deals with multiplayer though for the most part - and long overdue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

you still get punished for building roads. Roads ffs.

Don't see how that's anything to complain about. With 1UPT and the fact you don't need to connect strategic or luxury resources via road anymore, their main point is connecting cities for movement and trade route income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Particularly in multiplayer you can never be sure where an attack is going to come from. Obviously roads to get from any of your cities to any other in the minimum amount of turns are desirable, but the more roads you have to maneuver on in a battle the better. Also helps move workers move around better as your cities expand.

Of course it brings it's own strategic element in; you try to put roads only where you think you need them, but ultimately I hate having to make that decision. I think they had the right idea in earlier patches where with the right social policies you could make Railroad pay for itself. It took a big investment in culture and workers but you had an empire with a transport network....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So any new faces from the Steam sales? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Did the patch address the issue for ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Does anyone ever play this to win by Science Diplomacy etc or do they just do domination?

i've only once in my entire Civ game history have i won each of the victories and that was only to get achievement points on the xbox 360 version of 4!

I nearly always end up winning Domination. The AI can't defend for the life of it, even with all of it's cheating bonuses on higher difficulties. The only times I don't are when I hold back and end up getting to the UN myself, or my Culture manages to overtake my fighting and I grab Utopia.

Although part of it might be the fact I play on Marathon speed - Standard speed is too fast for me with units obsoleting too quick for them to be of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I have an i7 720 and even on standard maps the load times are terrible come turn 350-ish. Is the game just poorly optimised?

Once you get to later turns, there's more AI units on the map to move around which makes the times take a lot longer, and with more of the map revealed to keep in memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I came across an interesting review of Civ 5 recently. The writer describes the pretty common phenomenon where the complexity of the game design is far beyond the AI's capability to handle it. It's a good point - very notcieable in Civ 5 - even moreso in total war games, king arthur etc.

• Advertisement

Civ 5 is going to get a bloody huge expansion pack, bringing back religion and espionage, as well a boat load more stuff :eek:

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/civilization-v-expansion-pack-announced

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

I know they were working on something big!!
    Tons of New Stuff.
    I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).

Religion.
    That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.
    Reworked Combat System.
    The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.
    Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage.
    In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveilling foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.
    New City-States.
    With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.
    New Scenarios.
    Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the Fall of Rome, Age of Discovery, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.

Espionage (high res)
    47211b5983250e7cd50dc35618e3a685.jpg

Found a religion
    http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/image...f155f7ecde.jpg

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I knew they were up to something. Hopefully mp will get some love as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Maximilian wrote: »
    I knew they were up to something. Hopefully mp will get some love as well.

Sure you're on top over at darkkeep

The one thing that I really like from these screenshots: Machine Gun.

Hopefully finally a decent tech line of modern ranged infantry! It's something that was sorely lacking seeing as your Crossbows basically became useless if you upgraded to Rifles and lost all the extra Combat Strength.
    (That said I've successfully used legions of ChuKoNus in the late 1900's :D)

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Sure you're on top over at darkkeep

Being on top seldom lasts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope they improve the A.I In the expansion.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Being on top seldom lasts!

We'll all gang up on you

Anyone see this, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, looks like a fantasy version of Civ V, looks like the same engine was used

Yeah I've been following that. Basically looks like Civ 5 and Master of Magic (which I loved back in the day) had a baby.

Let's hope it has a pbem option ;)

• Advertisement

Everything Civ 5 75% off until 6pm tomorrow on Steam.

Or is it 5pm, or 7pm... Stupid US daylight savings. Either way 10am PST tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone see this, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, looks like a fantasy version of Civ V, looks like the same engine was used

looks interesting,not out till the summer?

Gods and Kings - Overview
    Price: $29.99
    Release: June, 19th (Northern America), June, 22nd (Rest of the world).

Contents of the expansion:
    New Feature: Religion
    New Feature: Espionage
    9 civs
    9 wonders
    13 buildings
    27 units
    3 scenarios
    2 new city state types
    2 new great person types
    Tweaks to the combat system
    Different tweaks on the base civs unique powers

List of civs (9 in total):
    Netherlands (William I; image)
    Celts (Boudicca; image)
    Mayans (Pacal; image)
    Byzantines (Theodora; article)
    Carthage (Dido; image)
    Huns (interview)

For more info regarding the civs please see here

List of wonders (9 in total):
    Terracotta Army (screenshot analysis)
    Great Mosque of Djenne (screenshot analysis)
    Petra (screenshot analysis)
    Neuschwanstein (article)
    Hubble Space Telescope (article)
    Great Firewall (article)
    Leaning Tower of Pisa (screenshot)

List of natural wonders (unknown number)
    Mt Sinai (article)

List of units (27 in total, including Great People):
    Mark V tank/Landship (screenshot analysis, article)
    Machine guns (1 hex ranged, article)
    1-hex ranged unit.
    Upgrades from Gatling Gun, which upgrades from Crossbow.
    Pictish Warrior (screenshot analysis and article)
    Celtic UU.
    Generates faith by killing other units.
    WWI-era Biplanes (screenshot analysis)
    WWI-era Triplanes (screenshot analysis)
    Great Admiral (German article)
    Great Prophet
    Inquisitors (article)
    Missionaries (article)
    Cost 200 Faith.
    Spread religion to 2 cities.
    Gatling Gun (article)
    Upgrades from Crossbow, upgrades to Machine Gun.
    Composite Bowman (article)
    New unit under Penicillin

List of buildings (13 in total):
    Bomb Shelter (article)
    Cathedral (article)
    Shrines (article; not confirmed as a building)

List of technologies:
    Combined Arms

List of religions (11 in total):
    Buddhism
    Christianity
    Confucianism.
    Hinduism
    Islam
    Judaism
    Shintoism
    Sikhism.
    Taoism
    Tengriism
    Zoroastrianism

List of scenarios (3 in total):
    Fall of Rome- Play as either Eastern Rome or Western Rome trying to fend off the barbarians OR as one of the barbarians themselves.
    Medieval- Grow your medieval kingdom into one of the great nations of Renaissance Europe, fending off outside invasions from Mongols and Ottoman Turks and fighting the religious wars of the Crusades and Reformation!
    Empires of the Smoky Skies- Build flying airships and huge tractor-like tanks from the unique tech tree of this Victorian science-fiction scenario, and use them to spread your empire across the pre-industrial world.

New city state types (2 in total):
    Religious
    Mercantile (get their own unique resources, such as jewellery)

New city states
    Antwerp
    Lisbon
    Marrakech
    Vatican City
    Jerusalem
    Zanzibar
    Prague

Espionage:
    All espionage operations will have a diplomatic impact if discovered
    Espionage is carried out by 'spies'. Things you can do with your spies:
    Stealing techs
    Counter-intelligence
    Viewing enemy cities
    Leaking war plans from one civ to another
    Rigging elections to influence city states
    Coups in city states
    Change of success in coups and election rigging based upon the time a spy has spent in a city and their 'individual skill'.
    Spies are not units on the map, but are controlled via menus (article).
    If a spy is caught, it is executed.
    When viewing an enemy city, there is an 'intrigue menu', which gives you access to information that you can then share with other civs.
    Three tiers of spies; Recruit, Agent and Special Agent.
    Everyone gets access to spies when the first civilization enters the Renaissance.
    An additional spy is made available to each civ when they enter a new era.
    England gets an extra spy (UA change?).

Religion:
    'Faith' is a yield that is accumulated like others in the game, e.g. culture (see here, and speculation).
    You get a 'Pantheon' belief when you hit 10 faith.
    20 Pantheon beliefs to choose from.
    God of War- bonus faith for killing enemies within four tiles of your city
    Goddess of the Hunt- extra food for forest camps (interview)
    Ancestor Worship- +1 Culture for every Shrine in your empire
    Religious Idols- +1 Culture and +1 Faith for each Gold and Silver (screenshot)
    Pantheon beliefs are generally terrain based.
    Certain units can generate faith by killing other units.
    Can found a religion when you earn a Great Prophet.
    Can have a combination of up to five beliefs (article)
    You get founder beliefs and follower beliefs. Founder beliefs give you rewards for religion spread, whilst follower beliefs give you rewards to any city following your religion.
    Founder Beliefs include:
    Ceremonial Burial- +1 :c5happiness: Happiness for each city following religion
    Church Property- +2 gold for each city following religion
    Defender of the Faith- +20% Combat near friendly cities that follow this religion
    Flourishing of the Arts- +10% Culture if not at war
    Initiation Rites- +100 Gold when each city first converts to this religion
    Just War- +20% Combat near enemy cities that follow this religion
    Can build Cathedrals in your cities when you have founded a religion; purchased with faith.
    Religions can be renamed.
    Religion designed so that not every civ in a game will be able to found one.
    Can spend faith to build missionaries (cost 200 faith). They can spread your religion to two cities.
    Religion naturally spreads to cities within 10 tiles.

Other things:
    Unit health increased from 10 to 100, and the pace of combat has been slowed.
    Naval units now split into melee and ranged; melee ships can attack cities.
    Embarked units can defend themselves and stack with naval units (article).
    Religious units can help to spread influence to city states and gain alliances with them.
    Embassies will help with espionage operations and diplomacy.
    You can 'bully' city states by placing units near them, though this will have a negative impact on your influence with them (article).
    City state quest system expanded, and they can set three quests at a time. Quests can be individual or global.
    Stonehenge is an early faith-giving wonder (interview).

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭SwarfegaHead

I've been playing this a fair bit recently, looking to get into playing multiplayer but the in-game matchmaking lobby is godawful. My Steam ID is the same as my username here, feel free to add me and we get a game going at some stage, I need to learn the ropes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The demo for this is out.

Just gave it a playthrough there, having not played MoM, but having played Civ lots. Some interesting ideas, though overall it's less complex than Civ 5 (not that Civ was all that complex, but still) and more combat focussed. I'm not sure if it's just because the demo limits you timewise to just earlier units, but the monster units (equivalent of barbs) can actually be pretty tough to beat.

The one flaw so far is that there didn't seem to be any penalty for expanding, meaning it may lead back to the good old ICS days.

Overall though, I don't see me playing this as much as I have Civ 5, but given it'll only cost €20, I can easily see me getting more than my money's worth out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Loved Fall from Heaven II back in Civ 4, one of the best mods for any game i've played. Hope this is as good.

Demo is pretty good. Loads of variety too.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

That fake Sean Connery voice goes right through my head. They should have learned from Civ 5's book on controls as selecting units, then deselecting them to select another is a pain. If you right click to deselect on another unit it brings up that units info page.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Where would the best value place be to purchase this? Offhand, steam seems the dearest at 27e.

• Advertisement

try amazon

Advertisement