Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

gtg60 suggested that I'd try dual mode even with one cable:

- No recording clash
    - However it didn't record since the default setting to record in dual tuner mode is input 2 from an lnb
    - I switched the cable to input two but damn thing didn't work..it was on the planner to record but would not
    - sky box kept saying no signal either when trying to view (obviously it was trying to use input one there)

Cheers to gtg60 for the idea - not much else i can do besides climb the roof and hook up another cable and drill holes across the house LOL :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

- No recording clash
    - However it didn't record since the default setting to record in dual tuner mode is input 2 from an lnb
    - I switched the cable to input two but damn thing didn't work..it was on the planner to record but would not
    - sky box kept saying no signal either when trying to view (obviously it was trying to use input one there)

Cheers to gtg60 for the idea - not much else i can do besides climb the roof and hook up another cable and drill holes across the house LOL :eek:
    That does sound a bit more optimistic though, would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

not much else i can do besides climb the roof and hook up another cable and drill holes across the house LOL :eek:
    Its a big ask but would you consider taking the box to a friend or family members house house who has the 2 cables and try it there?

muffler wrote: »
    Its a big ask but would you consider taking the box to a friend or family members house house who has the 2 cables and try it there?

Already thought of that :P My mates and family either have upc or old sky thompson SD boxes with single feeds :( I could use a splitter but am wary of the possible risk of voltages

You could bring it to my gaff. I'm only up the road a bit

in Donegal

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    You could bring it to my gaff. I'm only up the road a bit

in Donegal

Road Trip Eh!!! :D:D:p:p:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm in co Wexford. Do you want to try it in my house? I have dual Feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I have an amstrad box but not the 1TB one, wil these boxes be getting the new EPG?

- No recording clash

Would you agree that this sounds a bit more hopefull?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭1dave

All firmware updates are applied to all applicable boxes that are powered and connected to a dish aligned on 28 East regardless of whether any viewing card is present. Note that the new HD EPG firmware will download to all HD+ boxes except Thompson boxes eventually. was the answer i got when i asked how an update was applied to a sky box. no hiding from it so:(

• Advertisement

1dave wrote: »
    All firmware updates are applied to all applicable boxes that are powered and connected to a dish aligned on 28 East regardless of whether any viewing card is present. Note that the new HD EPG firmware will download to all HD+ boxes except Thompson boxes eventually. was the answer i got when i asked how an update was applied to a sky box. no hiding from it so:(

Yep - Id say it will be a staggered release with it going to the 1TB and drx 890 first off but this all depends on when the beta is finished :) and what sky decide to do :P

energy1942 wrote: »
    Would you agree that this sounds a bit more hopefull?

"This" as in what my good sir? :)

jca wrote: »

Might take ye up on that - shall see - am quite busy at the moment - hence why I haven't been all that active on boards.ie as of late

"This" as in what my good sir? :)
    I think that when connected to two leads it may record on card trick, no reason why it should not.

Any chance of them adding an aspect ratio control for the 720p and 1080i modes?

energy1942 wrote: »
    I think that when connected to two leads it may record on card trick, no reason why it should not.

It may - as I said :P I can only surmise at the moment in regards to recording via card trick channels using dual tuner mode :p

Karsini wrote: »
    Any chance of them adding an aspect ratio control for the 720p and 1080i modes?

Not as of yet - it has been mentioned on their forums however. As far as I remember there is only aspect ratio control in RGB/scart mode.

Not as of yet - it has been mentioned on their forums however. As far as I remember there is only aspect ratio control in RGB/scart mode.

Thanks. I'm hoping for it as my TV can't do aspect ratio control on HDMI, so I have to use a SCART lead at the moment.

Karsini wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm hoping for it as my TV can't do aspect ratio control on HDMI, so I have to use a SCART lead at the moment.

How come your HD flat screen cant correct the aspect ratio? have you no manual controls on the TV that could help?

How come your HD flat screen cant correct the aspect ratio? have you no manual controls on the TV that could help?

Samsung TVs don't support automatic aspect ratio control on HDMI, only via SCART. There is a manual override but it's a pain. On any other TV, setting the Sky box to Automatic will allow it, but not Samsungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Anyone have a picture to show what it should look like?

There's a few posted further back in this thread.

http://www.irishupandcomingmusicscene.tk/wordpressgaming/?p=201

Major update - the card trick no Longer works. I received an update on my sky box last night and it has blocked basically the ability to use the card trick I tried it again and again but it doesn't seem to work.

I've run the procedure several times today but to no avail I'll keep you informed but there is not much I can do about it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Major update - the card trick no Longer works. I received an update on my sky box last night and it has blocked basically the ability to use the card trick I tried it again and again but it doesn't seem to work.

I've run the procedure several times today but to no avail I'll keep you informed but there is not much I can do about it I'd say

Does this mean that, when and if this new epg is released to everyone later in the year, no matter what make of box we have, the ability to use the card trick will be taken from us all ? If so, I'm glad I held on to my Humax pvr box.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Does this mean that, when and if this new epg is released to everyone later in the year, no matter what make of box we have, the ability to use the card trick will be taken from us all ? If so, I'm glad I held on to my Humax pvr box.

It does look that way but I am not too sure - I have to tinker around with the skybox a bit more in order to be sure - plus I've noticed that whenever I change the channel to a former card trick epg number it autoswitches to channel 998

I have to do more research and I'll keep you guys informed but it doesn't look too promising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jca wrote: »

Might take ye up on that - shall see - am quite busy at the moment - hence why I haven't been all that active on boards.ie as of late
    Pm me if you want to give it a try. Looking very gloomy at the moment for the card trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Feck - find bugs with the beta - lots of them - make them send it back to the drawing board :(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Was the card trick done using a blue card or one of the white ones ? Maybe they sent a signal to the boxes to kill all the old blue cards that are out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Was the card trick done using a blue card or one of the white ones ? Maybe they sent a signal to the boxes to kill all the old blue cards that are out there.

Blue cards are already dead so nothing to do with it.

Advertisement