Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you currently building?

• 11-02-2011 2:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a simple wish. I want to make a giant skull cave thingy, so I'm gonna head for one of the beaches and start mining out sand for sand stone and will go for it from there. I'm gonna head for that bay/cliff face to the west of the Airport on the latest pic if that's ok with everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Kharn wrote: »
    I have a simple wish. I want to make a giant skull cave thingy, so I'm gonna head for one of the beaches and start mining out sand for sand stone and will go for it from there. I'm gonna head for that bay/cliff face to the west of the Airport on the latest pic if that's ok with everyone.

There's a really good mountain at 45 degrees down and left of the bottom of the airport that looks like it would be really good for a skull. It's hard to see it from the carto but it seems to have a very sheer cliff face when looking at it. If you follow my path past the airport you should get a better view of it.

In fact, I was looking at it today and was thinking it would be ideal for such a project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Castle Greyskull?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

That gave me an idea for the entrance of my mine.

Looks like I've found my new project!900298_press05-001.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a really good mountain at 45 degrees down and left of the bottom of the airport that looks like it would be really good for a skull. It's hard to see it from the carto but it seems to have a very sheer cliff face when looking at it. If you follow my path past the airport you should get a better view of it.

In fact, I was looking at it today and was thinking it would be ideal for such a project.

Aye, that's roughly the spot I was thinking. I'm gonna scout it out and see how I get on.

More like Castle Bastard Tallon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I built a maze. Can people try not getting frustrated and start knocking through the walls when (not if) they get lost in it.

• Advertisement

I can't tell ye how happy I am that 1) Minecraft runs on my laptop (slowly!) and 2) it doesn't keep disconnecting and killing my connection like my main PC :)

So I've started to clear out a *lot* of sand in the area I've highlighted in red (see below), so I can make sandstone (256 Sand -> 64 stone). I might ask for a "!kit sandstone" command only I want to clear the area out anyway, so it's all good.

I had an even bigger plan...
    See this...
    7348_5346_large.jpg

Imagine something like the one on the bottom right rising out of the ocean like this?
    148120.JPG

The pink area is all sand in the area that I may end up needing :D

Thoughts? Objections? San Checks?

I'm proposing to dam off the whole bay for the construction and then removing the dam. I have no idea how big a job this is and/or if it's even possible. It's not the sort of thing that's going to happen overnight either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kharn wrote:
    I'm not too familiar with the physics and fluid dynamics of the game really, I shall have to learn. What's the best way to displace water for building underwater structures? I'm sure someone somewhere's working on a Rapture replica
    Not sure if I get what you're trying to do, but could you build the thing on the surface level?

As Quazzie says, it's going to be hell to dam off the area. Then filling it up again is going to make it look terrible.

Water doesn't flow, it spreads. And it only spreads a certain distance. Plus, it won't go higher than it's starting block. Here's an example:

attachment.php?attachmentid=148142&stc=1&d=1297778055

The water is in blocks that flow to the space beside them and then down. But there was a section here where there was no water block beside them and you're left with a hole in the lake. It's annoying when you want a smooth water finish, but can be exploited for some cool architectural features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I can't tell ye how happy I am that 1) Minecraft runs on my laptop (slowly!) and 2) it doesn't keep disconnecting and killing my connection like my main PC :)

So I've started to clear out a *lot* of sand in the area I've highlighted in red (see below), so I can make sandstone (256 Sand -> 64 stone). I might ask for a "!kit sandstone" command only I want to clear the area out anyway, so it's all good.

I had an even bigger plan...
    See this...
    7348_5346_large.jpg

Imagine something like the one on the bottom right rising out of the ocean like this?
    148120.JPG

The pink area is all sand in the area that I may end up needing :D

Thoughts? Objections? San Checks?

I'm proposing to dam off the whole bay for the construction and then removing the dam. I have no idea how big a job this is and/or if it's even possible. It's not the sort of thing that's going to happen overnight either :)
    Sandstone does not appear on the maps at the mo. Just I thought I'd tell you before you make plans.

yea, I know I have to create sandstone from sand - have been doing that and have left some storage boxes at the shore where I was digging to save what I've got so far.

yea, I know I have to create sandstone from sand - have been doing that and have left some storage boxes at the shore where I was digging to save what I've got so far.
    No, he means it doesn't show up on the Cartograph

Check out the pyramid hotel to see what he means

• Advertisement

oh, strange :) No worries though, I shall struggle on regardless :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Thinking of making a maaaaaaasive dome where there's currently a frozen section of ocean on the bottom right of the map. Will be a few days before I get around to it though as I have the Temple Complex (floating circular towers in the North East) to finish first.

I do mean massive, radius of 64!

Cossax wrote: »
    Thinking of making a maaaaaaasive dome where there's currently a frozen section of ocean on the bottom right of the map. Will be a few days before I get around to it though as I have the Temple Complex (floating circular towers in the North East) to finish first.

I do mean massive, radius of 64!
    I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

likewise. I need something to work on, I've no ideas myself :p

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm in

Will be using this for reference when building it, might set out the outer circle of it in a few.

I've finished most of the outside of the Millenium Falcon. Needs a bit of detail, so I'll probably leave that until I'm drunk/creative.

148230.jpg

And here's the view from the cockpit, though the glass makes things look ****tier than they are:

148231.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That's pretty awesome!

Can't believe you included a death star.

That's pretty awesome!

Can't believe you included a death star.
    Well I had grand plans for a couple of X-Wings and Tie Fighters dogfighting, with a larger Deathstar shooting and blowing up a planet. But that's far too much effort :D

humanji wrote: »
    Well I had grand plans for a couple of X-Wings and Tie Fighters dogfighting, with a larger Deathstar shooting and blowing up a planet. But that's far too much effort :D

We gotta build a huge death star

Colham wrote: »
    We gotta build a huge death star

Large spheres take forever, trust me!

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    death star[/IMG]
    THATS NO MOON
    Cossax wrote: »
    Large spheres take forever, trust me!

challenge accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

About to start a build of a volcano, with an elaborate system for releasing the lava, will make a video of it if I get it up and running.

Making it on an island so it can't damage anything or set fire to anything else.

I got started on a small skeleton after clearing out a lot of space (thanks Quazzie for the assist), not before I accidentally the wall that was keeping the water out and flooded half of the pit :o Took some time to fix it, but it's good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Haven't been on for a bit, meh.

When making areas of water usable, muck and gravel. Both can be dug quickly by using a diamond shovel.

Benefits of muck: it stays where you put it. Good for building elevated corridors underwater.

Benefits of gravel: it falls down. build a bridge over the water. Keep throwing gravel at side of bridge, until gravel reaches the surface of the water. It allows you to keep throwing the stuff.

By using these, you can quickly build stuff under water.

I just wanted to post this here so I can reference it later to make sure I build the skull properly. The old one is coming along nicely, now that I can prevent myself falling to my death all the time :D

148591.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Huzzah my Pantheon is in the works. Columns are done as is the steps.

Pantheon will have 3 chambers:

- Chamber of History; a complete list of all users who have been on the server at some point since it started running last year
    - Chamber of Excellence; a list of users whose creative vision and flair has seen them inducted into a hall of fame
    - Chamber of Banishment; a list of users who have been banned at some point in the game

My Volcano is complete, tnt loaded, lava ready to go, just need to blow it.

I hope it works :D

Lotsafish wrote: »
    You going to have a blowing ceremony? (Thats what she said)
    Part of me wants to.

But the other part says no, because I have a feeling it will fail dramatically.

Haven't been on in a while, but keeping up to date on the forums. Looks like if your off for a couple of days, so much stuff gets built!

This is my next project, to be flaoting in the sky!
    http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/7/6925/ProvidenceClassFront.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pantheons floors laid down, as well as the face of the building. Hollowed out underneath it for a Crypt, not sure whats going there yet though :) Hopefully it'll be finished by tonight

Advertisement