Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface for putting up pictures

• 04-03-2012 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hopefully someone here will have some ideas!

I am looking for somethings like a giant cork board or even just a giant sheet of heavy card or paper, at least 2x2m which I can put up on a wall in our house and use it as a surface for putting our children's drawings/paintings up on etc without having to stick them directly onto our walls. Reason being of course as we will be taking them down I am sure as often as we put them up.

Any ideas?

And where I might get?

On a tight budget!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can get stuff called fibreboard in builders merchants. Not sure what it is supposed to be used for but I got some about three or four years ago to make some very big notice boards.

It is quite lightweight, soft and fibrous in 8' x 4' sheets - you have to handle it gently or it will get broken. I made a recessed frame by surrounding it with a strip of 2x1 planed timber (which is the same depth as the board) and then a strip of slightly wider timber moulding glued and screwed on top to hold it in place. (Put up a base and side strip of 2x1, hold the panel in place and put up the top strip which will just hold it enough to finish the job). Then painted the whole thing with a couple of coats of emulsion which held the surface of the board together. It has been in use since and is fine.

Only thing is that you have to use pins to hold the pictures in place, which you might not want to do with the children around.

Or buy a sheet of thin ply (you would get an 8x4 sheet of thin ply under €10) screw that into place and paint it with gloss paint so that sellotape and bluetack come off easily. Use washers on top of the ply when screwing it to the wall, 6 screws should be enough and the holes will be easily filled when it is all finished with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CustomSilver

Hi I found that if I use a number of cork notice boards and place them beside each other to form the size required they work very well as you can add to them or take away as required. Hope that is of some help.

Regards,
    Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

My children produce a huge amount of drawings ,so where to put them was always a bit of a problem. So here's another idea I got from my mother in law - hang a length of string or craft wire along a wall from nail to nail like a washing line -except flat against the wall, and hang the artwork along it with those tiny mini clothes pegs.I got mine in the art and hobby. It looks kinda cool and works great - I have one for photos too. And the best thing is that you are not damaging the picture or photo by putting a thumbtack through it. :)

Advertisement