Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Waterford Studios

• 24-04-2012 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

I have written to RTE stating that any desicion by RTE to close its studios in Waterford will have very poor consequences for RTE support in the South east. The south east has a larger population than the West of Ireland and has much smaller resources with the west havign Radio na Gaeltachta and TG4

info@rte.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Max Powers wrote: »
    I have written to RTE stating that any desicion by RTE to close its studios in Waterford will have very poor consequences for RTE support in the South east. The south east has a larger population than the West of Ireland and has much smaller resources with the west havign Radio na Gaeltachta and TG4

info@rte.ie

There is also 2 other RTE locations in the West. Castelbar, sligo and galway.

Completely ridiculous that they thinking about closing Waterford/Sout east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call me crazy but the concept of having a studio complex is increasingly "retro", I imagine with the right gear Damo could work out of a cupboard in WLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 yankadi

they probably need the extra money to pay the very underpaid mr Tubridy ... he'sonly paid more than the US president, a little more wouldn't hurt..

mike65 wrote: »
    Call me crazy but the concept of having a studio complex is increasingly "retro", I imagine with the right gear Damo could work out of a cupboard in WLR.

I suppose i should change studios to offices. They dont make any program in the south east AFAIK but closing the offices would mean massive decrease in publicity for south-east and no correspondent for SE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone been inside the RTE "space" in City Square?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 yankadi

I suppose i should change studios to offices. They dont make any program in the south east AFAIK but closing the offices would mean massive decrease in publicity for south-east and no correspondent for SE

Probably not though, they slimmed things down a good while ago, if you look at the quality of some of the OB stuff it's not the usual TV quality, more of a youtube quality, as most of it is sent back to RTE via web rather than broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

As far as I know, 1-2 people max currently operate it. Damien Tiernan gets the most use out of it, so it is needed for him.

One of the lads had stuff recorded in there when he was younger for the Den.

WLR are set up for recording, not video editing.

Between Paschal Sheehy and Damien Tiernan I think the studio is needed, but they could be getting a lot more use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

I can't see RTE having any regional studios in the near future.

This is the 21st century we're living in, the equipment needed for TV standard high definition recording would fit in your arse pocket.

RTE are victims of their own excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

TheGormog wrote: »
    This is the 21st century we're living in, the equipment needed for TV standard high definition recording would fit in your arse pocket.
    The professional editing equipment and live broadcasting wouldn't.

The professional editing equipment and live broadcasting wouldn't.

Back office operations. Surely to be consolidated to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'm not sure what WLR has to do with the subject, if RTE wanted to use their place they'd have to rent space, and WLR uses all its facilities constantly so it probably wouldn't be practical.

I think RTE should have a presence in the regions, but it doesn't need the space it has. It has a full TV studio and radio studio; No need for that to edit TV reports recorded out and about, a Mac on your desk will do that. And they rarely if ever do radio from there - if they did they could bring a mobile unit down.

They're probably paying a good bit of rent and rates, and especially the latter is making it not a viable thing to maintain.

A single office somewhere is all they need.

A.

If RTE were closing down all their places except Dublin (maybe Cork too), then that would be fair enough but it singling out one region stinks of the usual political Irish bull especially when you consider 3 locations in the west serving a smaller population. Its important that we dont get singled out again. I have posted off a letter to the director general of RTE, contacted reps and sent e-mails. We should all do our bit or we will be complaining soon about no Waterford TV coverage for Spraoi, Patricks day parade, sports etc

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Perhaps its now time to start paying Pat Kenny(€729,000), Marianne Finucane (€513,000), Joe Duffy (€290,000) et al sensible salaries instead of these ridiculous amounts. If they were all (and I mean the entirety of RTE reduced to something realistic like €50,000 per annum or even less it might help the coffers of the state broadcaster and these regional studios might be able to stay running. They seem to be like the crowd in Dail Eireann who feel they are above consideration.

When I hear Joe Duffy etc. simpering to a caller/viewer about their finances it makes my blood boil. They couldn't possibly empathise with their listeners while living in these bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemul

Why would ya need a studio when you can do this http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/26893-broadcast-quality-film-shot/ with an Iphone & Ipad

shanemul wrote: »
    Why would ya need a studio when you can do this http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/26893-broadcast-quality-film-shot/ with an Iphone & Ipad

Lads, ye are missing the point here. We all know any fool can record a program on the cheap and easily but closing down RTE's regional centre here will leave us the only region in the country without one. As i said before there are 3 centres in the West, not including the TG4 set up.

shanemul wrote: »

Lads, ye are missing the point here. We all know any fool can record a program on the cheap and easily but closing down RTE's regional centre here will leave us the only region in the country without one. As i said before there are 3 centres in the West, not including the TG4 set up.

RTE have some hard decisions to make. But they will be purely business led decisions and nothing personal. Any business making a loss will look to cut it's costs. All of these regional centres are unsustainable in the long run.

I don't expect Irish culture to suffer as a result. But then again I wouldn't define sitting on the couch watching Nationwide as culture.

RTE have some hard decisions to make. But they will be purely business led decisions and nothing personal. Any business making a loss will look to cut it's costs. All of these regional centres are unsustainable in the long run.

I don't expect Irish culture to suffer as a result. But then again I wouldn't define sitting on the couch watching Nationwide as culture.

re: purely business led decisions: are you familiar with Ireland and the way TDs playing parish politics has ruined our political system and state organisations. If RTE was being ran like a business, we wouldnt be forking out for sub-standard TV, overinflated salarys, egos to match and a situation where there are 3 regional centres in the west (galway, Mayo, sligo) and thinking about getting rid of 1 serving south east.

Re: regional centres unsustainable: we have already agreed that but they arent talking about closing all of them, just a couple of them including Waterford

re: Irish culture to suffer - your dead right, it will be just the south east that suffers in advertising, exposure, politics, economy.

re: purely business led decisions: are you familiar with Ireland and the way TDs playing parish politics has ruined our political system and state organisations. If RTE was being ran like a business, we wouldnt be forking out for sub-standard TV, overinflated salarys, egos to match and a situation where there are 3 regional centres in the west (galway, Mayo, sligo) and thinking about getting rid of 1 serving south east.

Re: regional centres unsustainable: we have already agreed that but they arent talking about closing all of them, just a couple of them including Waterford

A fair point...

I'm not in favour of the proposed closure, I just see it as inevitable. But if so it should be equitable.

I'm sure that your letter to the local representatives will be acted upon immediately and dealt with in earnest.

But to twist the logic a little...

Would a better result be ascertained by using the 'parish pump' system to congratulate RTE on their brave decision and suggesting that they expand this decision to ALL regional offices?

Plus petitioning TDs to put forward a motion to grant a number of regional television broadcasting licenses for independent companies.

It wouldn't be long until the closure was forgotten about.

Advertisement