Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA in Limerick

• 10-09-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am 17 years old (18 in 2 months) and have been training in a JiuJitsu based self defense system for the past 6 years. I want to keep training in that club, but I am also thinking of starting MMA for maybe once a week. (I already train 3 or 4 nights a week).

Is there an MMA club in Limerick and am I old enough to compete properly? (iefull contact, kicks puches, grapple + ground, no headgear) (I already train in my own club like this but I'd like to do it more often and competitively.) I assume it's weight-based...;) ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Combat Sports Center - Think your in luck , as they are enrolling for Beginners at the moment.

www.combatsportscentre.com

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Here's the link to Post they had about the Beginners Course.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056014485

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Great club too, very welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Thanks guys. I was aware of this one already - Ger Healy runs it? I am very interested, even though UL is on the other side of town :p Any thoughts on the competitive side ie am I too young yet to compete in full contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Combat Sport Center

Unit B7, Corcanree Business Park. Dock Road, Limerick.

Headed by trainers Ger Healy and Fergal Quinlan, the Combat Sports Centre in Limerick offers superior instruction for men and women, a comfortable atmosphere for both newcomers and those already experienced, and the opportunity to learn from some of the best practitioners in Ireland. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and MMA classes are available for those who want a well rounded arsenal for competition or self defense. Ladies only fitness classes are also offered at the Combat Sports Centre.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6720667&ref=ts
    Email: combat.sports.center@gmail.com
    Phone: +353 (0) 861975043 (Irish number)

........................................................................................................

Pankration Kickboxing Academy

Unit C2, Eastway Business Park. Ballysimon Road, Limerick.

Co-Owners Dermot McGrath and Catherine have both been working for the past 16 years to have a gym of this calibre and quality of instruction in Ireland. And now finally they can offer you the very best in facilities, age appropriate programs, adult beginner and advanced classes in Kickboxing and Mixed Martial Arts. It’s taken a lot of hard work to get to this but this is the core of there teaching beliefs which they instil in all students who enter there doors.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pankra...16489405057445
    Email: info@DermotMcGrath.com
    Phone: +353 (0) 86312933 (Irish number)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Ger Healy

Gumbi wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I was aware of this one already - Ger Healy runs it? I am very interested, even though UL is on the other side of town :p Any thoughts on the competitive side ie am I too young yet to compete in full contact?

Some promoters do host teen mma fights with modified rule
    And most bjj event now has a teen division section in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Ger Healy wrote: »
    Some promoters do host teen mma fights with modified rule
    And most bjj event now has a teen division section in them.

Cool, thanks. I'll be 18 soon anyway so I suppose I'll be old enough then; basically I'd just like to have more experience in actual fighting.

Advertisement