Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get a really clean windscreen?

• 28-02-2007 11:48am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not having a very clean windscreen drives me nuts when driving. Its imperative to have a clear view in front of you for safety reasons etc. I usually change my drivers side wiper quite often as they can get little nicks and cause streaking which I hate.
    However recently I have tried cleaning my windscreen thoroughly but it is juts not right. Say for example when there is light drizzle, and the wipers are on, it leaves a slight haze on the windscreen for about a second or two and then it disappears. Its very annoying. I’m told this is grease. I’ve tried a number of windscreen washer solutions over the years and find the little sachets of (Clearex?) the best, but they can be sometimes hard to find.

Can anyone advise the best way to keep a perfectly clean and haze/smudge free windscreen?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Vinegar rubbed on with newspaper.

Also, wipe the wiper blades with the vinegar on tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I cleaned mine a few weeks ago and then applied RainX. On the motorway you can nearly drive without your wipers and the window stays clean nearly all week, mud and dirt seems to just repel off it, could definitely recommend it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I've tried one of those before, not RainX but comehting similar,w as really good, but a pain to apply properly. Where can you buy it though I rarely see it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

They sell it in Halfords for €7.99. Just make sure you rub it off properly otherwise your wipers will smear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Halfords sell it, along with RainX Windscreen Washer additive which works well, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The ink on newspapers use to be great for cutting through grime, along with vinegar. The inks were solvent based then, now water based so not as effective. I use to also use both the RainX Glass Cleaner & Sealant but have since found Crystal Vision Glass Sealant to be the best of the lot. Does the two jobs in one. It lasts several months on side & rear windows and if topped up every month or two on the windscreen (as wipers tend to wear it down over time), it will keep the screen really clear. Rainwater forms into tiny beads and fly off as your driving, so no need to use the wipers as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use 6%IPA/94%DI wipes I can get from work and then dry the window off with a dry wipe. I spray 100% IPA on the rag first just to bring up the concentration of IPA and it gets the glass gleaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Any tips on how to stop windscreen wipers from squeaking, I've a brand new set and they are annoying to say the very least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The best by far that I've used is autoglym glass polish. Goes on like a wax polish and really gets amazing results inside and out. At a pinch vinegar is a better bet than most of the shop bought stuff.

I avoid rainx and the like as it screws the rubber in the blades much faster and I found it made nighttime driving difficult as it increased glare if you weren't very careful with application. It's great for mirrors and other windows though.

The wipers squeeking is usually done to either the wipers are worn or the glass is dirty(road film). The cheapy wipers are more prone to it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Zascar wrote:
    Can anyone advise the best way to keep a perfectly clean and haze/smudge free windscreen?
    Tie a roadside squigee-merchant to the roof of your car and keep a plentiful supply of 50c coins handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

What I use is toothpaste. Its fantastic and removes all of the grease and also makes your wipers quiter. Give it a go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

gafarrell wrote:
    What I use is toothpaste. Its fantastic and removes all of the grease and also makes your wipers quiter. Give it a go!!

Seriously?
    Or is this a joke, like the time I was about 8 and my uncle told me that rubbing butter on my face would make my beard grow, and of course i tried.

If you think about it, toothpaste would be ever so slightly abrasive (just like a polish), which would cut through the grease and grime.

It's not an old wives tale.

Even peanut butter is great at taking white stains (polish/wax) out of / off black (porous) plastic mouldings and trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

prospect wrote:
    Seriously?
    Or is this a joke, like the time I was about 8 and my uncle told me that rubbing butter on my face would make my beard grow, and of course i tried.

Yes Seriousley. I use it all of the time. If it can prevent your teeth from rotting it can take some grime off of your windscreen. If you think I am joking give it a go on a small patch on your screen. It also cleans your wiper blades very well and trust me it beats most of the screenwipes out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

what way would you apply toothpaste, just so i know before i run out the house with a tube of colgate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On a related note, what's the best way to keep the inside of the windscreen clean (and less likely to fog up) ?

Tried Holts Screenies before which were great for a few weeks until the packet dried out. Keeping a cloth in the door pocket is ok for about the same length of time until it gets grubby...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

RainX also hvae an anti fog product - not sure if its any good though

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭conor_mc

ninja900 wrote:
    On a related note, what's the best way to keep the inside of the windscreen clean (and less likely to fog up) ?

Tried Holts Screenies before which were great for a few weeks until the packet dried out. Keeping a cloth in the door pocket is ok for about the same length of time until it gets grubby...

Got a tip here a couple of months ago about rubbing washing-up liquid on the glass, just a small bit of it as if it were a gel.

Worked a treat on my old car, which was unbelievably prone to fogging up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

While we're on the subject of glass, is there anything that will remove or at least lessen scratches on glass? I bought a second-hand passenger window to replace the one that was broken in the last break-in I had, but it's a bit scratched. Just wondering if it as possible to polish it out at all.

http://www.scratchglass.com/pages/glasspolishkit.htm have kits to polish out scratches so long as your fingernail does not catch in same.

Otherwise Glare polish has glass like properties (Glassplexin) which fill it tiny defects, toning down the appearance of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks, Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shramik

prospect wrote: »
    Seriously?

Toothpaste contains very fine abrasive which "polishes" through the oil & grease despoiled on the windscreen by other road users.

You can also try any left over alcohol from your liquor bottles.....vodka & gin works best. I collect them & add about a capful to the washer bottle, so you continuously clean away the oily stuff whenever you use the washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Shramik wrote: »
    Toothpaste contains very fine abrasive which "polishes" through the oil & grease despoiled on the windscreen by other road users.

You can also try any left over alcohol from your liquor bottles.....vodka & gin works best. I collect them & add about a capful to the washer bottle, so you continuously clean away the oily stuff whenever you use the washers.

Please don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement