Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

coxy14 wrote: »
    Commissioner of oaths is perfect. I'm applying for an E2 visa a the moment but have been to Korea before on a short term C4 visa and it was perfectly acceptable. Never heard of anyone needing their birth cert though??

Cheers.Sweet. Really didnt want to part with a large sum of money.

I'm actually heading to Europe myself. Just told I needed to get birth cert aswell. Just chanced asking in this thread as it has the most traffic.

So the degree basically needs to be signed and stamped? Seems a ridiculous amount of money to be forked over to a public notary for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Is it possible to work just a short term contract at a hagwon in Seoul or anywhere else in Korea? I'm currently teaching at SMOE and my contract ends in late August. I need a short term teaching job to tide me over until I move to Australia at the end of October. Anyone know if short-term teaching positions exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is it possible to work just a short term contract at a hagwon in Seoul or anywhere else in Korea? I'm currently teaching at SMOE and my contract ends in late August. I need a short term teaching job to tide me over until I move to Australia at the end of October. Anyone know if short-term teaching positions exist?

They don't. None for 2 months anyway. And definitely none that provide accommodation.

Best you could do is renew your contract with SMOE and just leave after 2 months. But beware you'll have to pay back some of your renewing bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

you could always just take a job in a Hagwon and then leave when you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

roosh wrote: »
    you could always just take a job in a Hagwon and then leave when you need to.

2 problems with that:

a. Many hagwons take a deposit of around 1million won for the apartment. You won't get that back if you do a runner, and even if you give notice, you many not get it back. Some hagwon owners are gangsters.

b. Pay dates in hagwons are such that if you do a runner on pay day, you'll have worked the previous 2 weeks for nothing.

i.e. you get paid on the 10th of October for September's work. Therefore you have worked 2 weeks in October but won't get paid for that until November.

If you take a job in a hagwon, and piss them off, you'll likely lose something somewhere.

It makes a million more times sense to renew the public contract and still be able to leave by giving notice and getting everything you deserve back.

Like I said, you get 2 million for renewing, but would have to give back 700,000 of this so that you in effect still have the 1.3million bonus that you deserve for having finished a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    2 problems with that:

a. Many hagwons take a deposit of around 1million won for the apartment. You won't get that back if you do a runner, and even if you give notice, you many not get it back. Some hagwon owners are gangsters.

b. Pay dates in hagwons are such that if you do a runner on pay day, you'll have worked the previous 2 weeks for nothing.

i.e. you get paid on the 10th of October for September's work. Therefore you have worked 2 weeks in October but won't get paid for that until November.

If you take a job in a hagwon, and piss them off, you'll likely lose something somewhere.

It makes a million more times sense to renew the public contract and still be able to leave by giving notice and getting everything you deserve back.

Like I said, you get 2 million for renewing, but would have to give back 700,000 of this so that you in effect still have the 1.3million bonus that you deserve for having finished a 12 month contract.

point well made!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

kraggy wrote: »
    2 problems with that:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    yeah - doing a runner from a hagwon wasn't an option. i'm aware it would cost me financially and anyway, i don't like making promises and then intentionally leaving people down.
    ditto my school, they're nice enough to me and i don't want to renew in august knowing already that i'm gonna feck off in late october.
    i'll see if i can work something out....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Heya could anyone let me know how exactly to get a criminal background check done?

I went into the Garda station last week and told her that I needed a criminal background check. She gave me a form (The wrong one anyway) for a police certificate of character. I googled what she gave me and it came up on citizensinformation.ie that I have to write to the superintendant of the District and get him to send me one. It also said there is no fee for this.

However I was then in touch with a recruiter who sent me information that states that I must write to the Garda Vetting Unit in Tipperary ann that there is a six euro charge for this.

Can I just ask how did you guys go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Heya could anyone let me know how exactly to get a criminal background check done?

I went into the Garda station last week and told her that I needed a criminal background check. She gave me a form (The wrong one anyway) for a police certificate of character. I googled what she gave me and it came up on citizensinformation.ie that I have to write to the superintendant of the District and get him to send me one. It also said there is no fee for this.

However I was then in touch with a recruiter who sent me information that states that I must write to the Garda Vetting Unit in Tipperary ann that there is a six euro charge for this.

Is it a special request from the school or something? I just had the certificate of Character. I think that is all they need to issue the visa.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

monosharp wrote:
    I wouldn't go anywhere but Seoul If I were you.

Whats wrong with Busan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I googled what she gave me and it came up on citizensinformation.ie that I have to write to the superintendant of the District and get him to send me one. It also said there is no fee for this.

This is correct, this is for your certificate of character. I sent a letter to the superintendent of my local garda station with all of the places I'd lived ever. I also included a copy of the passport information page and if you want them to send it back to you I would send a stamped self addressed envelope. It takes about a week! If it takes any longer than two I would ring them up and ask them about it. :)

No, as far as I know this is for teachers teaching within Ireland.
    Andy!! wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Busan?

It's too far away from Seoul! :D

I had a similar problem getting mine. Unless it's changed you only need the one from the local superintendent.

The background check is for visa purposes, not specifically for working with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Hi,

I'm currently back in Ireland waiting to start a new contract on May 21st. However I'm going stir crazy here at home and I want to go back early and do a bit of sub work. I've already done a year there so I'm fairly sure that I won't need to do a consulate interview or any of that malarchy now so my question are as follows:

1. Can I go back on a tourist visa, cover for my mate for four weeks, and just do a visa run to Japan then the weekend before starting the new job?

2. Can I save myself the hassle of posting out the documents and just bring them over in person, hand them to my new director, get the visa reference number in Korea and then obviously take it away and do the visa run to Fukuoka?

Also on another note, can anybody confirm that sealed transcripts are no longer a necessity as far as documents are concerned? I didn't have to have them last year but I'm not going through a recruiter this time and I've a feeling that my director is going on the old requirements. In any case I have a set of sealed transcripts in Korea so it's all good if I can sort out my visa over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Hi,

I'm currently back in Ireland waiting to start a new contract on May 21st. However I'm going stir crazy here at home and I want to go back early and do a bit of sub work. I've already done a year there so I'm fairly sure that I won't need to do a consulate interview or any of that malarchy now so my question are as follows:

1. Can I go back on a tourist visa, cover for my mate for four weeks, and just do a visa run to Japan then the weekend before starting the new job?

You can, but it's illegal. If you get caught, you won't get another visa. You will also, most likely, have to have a return ticket, or at least a ticket showing you will be exiting the country. This can be done by booking the boat from busan to fukuoka. This tickets can be booked and paid for at a later date, so you can just cancel it, once you've gotten into the country.

Again, it's illegal
    2. Can I save myself the hassle of posting out the documents and just bring them over in person, hand them to my new director, get the visa reference number in Korea and then obviously take it away and do the visa run to Fukuoka?

Yes, you can do that.

Also on another note, can anybody confirm that sealed transcripts are no longer a necessity as far as documents are concerned? I didn't have to have them last year but I'm not going through a recruiter this time and I've a feeling that my director is going on the old requirements. In any case I have a set of sealed transcripts in Korea so it's all good if I can sort out my visa over there.

They are not required to obtain the visa, but some schools may still ask for them. If you have a copy, don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I recently went to Korea (last month) without an exit ticket and they didn't care.

Same with Japan actually. And China!

Not sure if this is useful to people or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MichelleMurphy

Hi all, i've completed my 120hr Advanaced TEFL teaching and qualify to teach in South Korea.

I've applied for teaching jobs with two different companies but haven't heard anything back from them.

It's been one week - is this normal?

I'm a real newb at this stuff so maybe i've missed some basic steps

What's the best way to going about securing a job in Seoul or Busan?

Any help appreciated - thanks :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Hi all, i've completed my 120hr Advanaced TEFL teaching and qualify to teach in South Korea.

I've applied for teaching jobs with two different companies but haven't heard anything back from them.

M

Sign up with more recruiters (I ended up applying to about 20-30)! Tell that you are only interested in Busan or Seoul. One week isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I have applied to 5 recruiters, heard back from 3 of them and been in contact with 2 since.

One told me just yesterday that the requirements have changed and you now need a 100 TEFL cert for all public jobs in Korea, and I was just on the reach to teach website and it seems to be true. Goddamnit! Gonna need to enroll in one over the Summer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PES4

Hi there all.
    First time contributor, long time reader.

I find myself in a bit of a bind regarding a job there in South Korea. I have completed all the necessary steps in securing a public school job in the south of the country. I have even received my E2 Visa to begin work ASAP and was due to do just that.

However, due to a sudden family bereavement it has become very difficult for me to fulfill my obligations on my impending start date. Everything has already been put in motion (contract signed and sent, documents accepted, travel arrangements made but not paid for) and I even have a address for my new apartment.

It is unfortunate that I must put off my Korean adventure for a few weeks but does anybody have any suggestions on how to approach my contact there (who has been most helpful throughout the process) with this news.??
    Am I under any obligation to fulfill my contract even though I have not even got a flight booked? How does this affect my E2 Visa which was organised by my school there, and how does it affect my next (hopefully) application?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I hope my situation has been made clear. I'd imagine it is unique but perhaps not without precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Hi folks,

Just applying the EPIK autumn 2012 traunch. It looks like I need a pile of info and forms stamping etc etc. I have a CETLA, over 3 years experience teaching and just finishing my degree (i have an old diploma 3 year as well). However, I'm not so sure about getting letters of employment. I have taught in Thailand and Vietnam (almost 2 years in each place) I have an employment letter from Thailand already, but Vietnam is proving difficult. They seem not to be answering my emails. There are new rules as well to the EPIK, you can no longer choose your destination and the forms seem to be very thorough, but judging by daveselscafe.com maybe that is a good thing because they all seem to be really odd on that site...To be honest i was actually reconsidering about going thinking i might have to work with people like that. However, i digress, if i cannot get a letter from Vietnam in time would an email address do? This makes a big difference in terms of pay over the course of the year and i need every penny i can earn as i'd like to do a Masters here at home. Anyone know about these letters of employment?
    Or anybody that has applied recently?

Thanks for reading everybody,

• Advertisement

Ban oi.. What ya mean with letters of employment from Vietnam? Like references?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Yeah for EPIK, you need two letters of reference but also proof of employment. They are separate documents.
    LORs are can be from previous emplyers. But you also need proof of employment as well. So for me i need 4 letters in total. Two LORs and two letters of employment from previous emploters. I could mix them up and use my previous employers also as well for referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Can anyone who has been at the Embassy recently tell me what they actually had to give them?

Passport, money, visa number and employers info. What else?

PES4 wrote: »
    Hi there all.

I find myself in a bit of a bind regarding a job there in South Korea. I have completed all the necessary steps in securing a public school job in the south of the country. I have even received my E2 Visa to begin work ASAP and was due to do just that.

However, due to a sudden family bereavement it has become very difficult for me to fulfill my obligations on my impending start date. Everything has already been put in motion (contract signed and sent, documents accepted, travel arrangements made but not paid for) and I even have a address for my new apartment.

It is unfortunate that I must put off my Korean adventure for a few weeks but does anybody have any suggestions on how to approach my contact there (who has been most helpful throughout the process) with this news.??
    Am I under any obligation to fulfill my contract even though I have not even got a flight booked? How does this affect my E2 Visa which was organised by my school there, and how does it affect my next (hopefully) application?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I hope my situation has been made clear. I'd imagine it is unique but perhaps not without precedent.
    Have you got the visa in your passport? If so, you can't apply for another until the entrance date expires in that. I think it's 90days, check it yourself and you'll see.

Also, If it's just a few weeks delay, tell them you want to go but you
    Must wait. A short delay for them is better than having to recruit all over again.

Can anyone who has been at the Embassy recently tell me what they actually had to give them?

Passport, money, visa number and employers info. What else?

My mate was there earlier today. He needed his passport, school info, contract info, visa application number and 37.50. Always ring ahead to ensure you can apply without need for an interview

M

As said, apply to as many as possible. Go on to Daves or work n play etc and apply like crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

PES4 wrote: »
    Hi there all.

Just be upfront about it. A week before I left for Korea I got injured playing football and had to push back the start date. There were no real problems.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Wow... the amount of information given by you guys (and is required to actually pull it off) is just mind-boggling... I might write a blog post to help other people get their head around it, while I get my head around it!! Or does anyone know of a blog post that exists like this already?

I'm going to start with a 'requirements' post I think.... going through that now myself and it's blowing my mind hah.

How is apostilled pronounced? Flat phonetically or 'Jesus and his twelve apostles'?

Also, what are people's experiences with the actual teaching? Do you find you are actually teaching, or basically being used as a human voice player for pronounciation etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

cloneslad wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna have to call shilling on this one, and report it.

It's not. The post they were replying to was spam though. Please do not quote posts you suspect to be by shills. It makes it more difficult to clean things up. Reporting the post is enough without posting about it. Thanks for reporting though. It's a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Hey guys,

I think this may have been asked before, but I can't find the answer anywhere. My co-teacher is asking me for a Certificate of Residence from Ireland so I won't have to pay tax here.

I have no idea what it is or how I could get one. Does anyone know about this? Has anyone else needed one or managed to get one?

Thanks!

Advertisement