Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miso Soup

• 22-04-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hey, I've been looking for a vegetarian miso soup, but haven't had any luck finding one! They all seem to contain fish =(

If anyone can point me to the right brand/store, it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've never seen miso that wasn't vegetarian - that's just my experience. I have 2 packets here. One is "Clearspring" which is actually vegan and the other King Soba organic "Mighty Miso" contains only good stuff. They would have been bought in a supermarket or health food shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not sure what part of the country you are in OP but Evergreen Health shop sells it here in Galway. They have an online store too so you could definitely get it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Hi OP,
    Most of the dried Miso I've seen would appear to be vegan/vegetarian, although only a few indicate this on the package. A minority may have some dried fish in them.

I emailed Sanchi a while back to ask them about their instant miso, here's the reply I got:
    I was wondering if the Sanchi instant miso soup (Made in Japan version) is vegetarian?

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding our Sanchi Instant Miso Soup.

We can confirm that the Instant Miso Soup is suitable for vegetarians. No animal products present in the product or factory.

We hope this information is useful to you when purchasing this product.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions or comment you may have.

Yours sincerely,
    Nadwa Khan

There are actually two versions of the Sanchi miso (Made in China and Made in Japan listed on the packet) so I'm not sure if the same applies for the Chinese version.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Peanut wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    Most of the dried Miso I've seen would appear to be vegan/vegetarian, although only a few indicate this on the package. A minority may have some dried fish in them.

I would think that most miso would be vegetarian and by miso, I mean miso paste.
    Miso soup, on the other hand would traditionally be made with dashi which would contain seaweed and dried fish but there seem to be vegetarian instant versions of it knocking around by what others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yeah most of the instant versions are "instant soup" so usually have a bit of seaweed in them. I have seen bonito flakes as an ingredient in some of them, but not the majority.

Some stir-fried tofu goes well with instant miso.

The paste looks interesting but is less common and I imagine you would need to keep it refrigerated/use by a certain date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Peanut wrote: »
    The paste looks interesting but is less common and I imagine you would need to keep it refrigerated/use by a certain date.

In my experience, it seems to keep indefinitely in a jar/tub in the fridge.

Advertisement