Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a PC with windows 7 - can I get windows 8?

Options
  • 04-07-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, my parents had to buy a new PC the other day, and it (obviously) came with Windows 7. There was a note up about being eligible to buy an upgrade to Windows 8 for like €15, but what I was wondering is:
    - Is this something you should have done when buying PC?
    - Is this something that will only apply for the PC you bought? Or could you take the upgrade disc and install it on a different machine?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

:o

Should have looked harder, the information on windowsupgradeoffer.com says:
    Each upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs with a valid base license to a qualifying operating system (i.e., Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7).

While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system. Visit http://windows.com for information on Windows 8 minimum requirements. Customers should visit their PC manufacturer’s website for more information on how to upgrade their PC to Windows 8, including updated software and drivers.

So looks like i could take the windows 8 and stick it on my laptop, correect?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dulpit wrote: »
    :o

Should have looked harder, the information on windowsupgradeoffer.com says:

So looks like i could take the windows 8 and stick it on my laptop, correect?

It will probably only work with the machine you buy. The deal usually is is that you receive the Windows 8 install media from the manufacturer (Dell, Sony, Toshiba etc.) and they preload the install disc with the drivers are crapware pcs come with. When you install Windows 8 microsoft will then de-authorize the windows 7 key so it cannot be used again and you have Windows 8. This is what it was like for the free Vista upgrade so I can't imagine it being much more different

Nick

Advertisement