Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating the year

• 23-06-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭mackeire

ok here goes,
    I past first year with gpa of 2.96.

everyting was going well with college until second year..
    a couple of weeks into second year, a family member died. then i was sick for a bit, then my son got pnumonia and was in hospital for a few weeks, then i got food poisioning, and other stuff happened aswel (long story!!).

anyway, i missed most of the first semester and pretty much all of the semester2.
    i sat exams in january and only passed 1 or 2 subjects. didn't sit any in may.

I'm a mature student and would love to finish my course.

my question is, would i be able to start second year again? do it properly this time?
    im not sure of the rules, regarding repeating a year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Yes you can repeat the year. However, upon repeating, you lose out on grants or back to education. What department are you? Have you considered talking this whole situation out with the head of department?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭mackeire

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Yes you can repeat the year. However, upon repeating, you lose out on grants or back to education. What department are you? Have you considered talking this whole situation out with the head of department?
    ive left messages and waiting for someone to get back to me.

the social welfare told me that i can repeat a year once and still get BTEA. so happy days there!!

im doing elec engineering.

mackeire wrote: »

the social welfare told me that i can repeat a year once and still get BTEA. so happy days there!!

You'd want to find James Wrights number then. He's head of your department, as far as I know.

You'd want to find James Wrights number then. He's head of your department, as far as I know.
    thats correct. i'll try get in touch with him.

Best of luck with your studies. God knows I always hated Electronic Engineering.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with your studies. God knows I always hated Electronic Engineering.
    sent an email to james.

thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

way to take up someone elses seat for the new year

saiint wrote: »

No need to be a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Ember Important Self-discipline

These type of responses are not welcome around here. This is your one and only warning.

Guys and girls, please report any posts which you have a problem with.

Thanks

i just hope its your seat :)

• Advertisement

Mackeire please read my previous post. That warning goes for everybody. Please leave the little snide comments out of here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

wouldnt be my seat , im not a waster like you

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

All the silly comments aside, I reckon you just have to repeat the subjects you missed / didn't pass.
    So what ever the subjects you passed in January you wouldn't have to do but the rest you would.
    Just my 2 cent either best of luck with it :)

over 100 posts on boards in 1 week. you are either just a troll trying to wind people up or just have no life at all.

thanks for the replies ;)

Banned for 2 weeks for abuse
    over 100 posts on boards in 1 week. you are either just a troll trying to wind people up or just have no life at all.

thanks for the replies ;)

Mackeire, as I stated earlier, if anybody has an issue with a post, please report it and do not reply to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    All the silly comments aside, I reckon you just have to repeat the subjects you missed / didn't pass.
    So what ever the subjects you passed in January you wouldn't have to do but the rest you would.

There was a guy in my class who was repeating two subjects having passed everything else. They were the only classes he was down for. You don't have to repeat everything unless you specifically want to.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    dre_jspeed wrote: »

There was a guy in my class who was repeating two subjects having passed everything else. They were the only classes he was down for. You don't have to repeat everything unless you specifically want to.
    I think i'd prefare to repeat every subject. although I passed some subjects, it was because my CA's were fairly good. My written test was quite bad as I missed most of the semester. I'd like to start fron scratch and try get all A's in my exams.

Have a meeting arranged soon so hopefully everything goes smoothly and I can get back into it in September..

Thanks (most of you) for your replies.

I think i'd prefare to repeat every subject. although I passed some subjects, it was because my CA's were fairly good. My written test was quite bad as I missed most of the semester. I'd like to start fron scratch and try get all A's in my exams.

Have a meeting arranged soon so hopefully everything goes smoothly and I can get back into it in September..

Thanks (most of you) for your replies.

I really wouldn't repeat everything as it's only your second year. Believe me, you'll have enough stress with the following two years without trying to make it hard for yourself. I'd just sit the classes you failed and I'd start looking into a third year project. Hydrogen fuel cell perhaps? Not all of the development obviously but I know James Wright is keen on the implementation of one into the car chasis one of one a 3rd year mechanical student designed/made.

Advertisement