Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headless W7 box and "start Windows normally"

• 25-05-2012 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm running a headless version of Windows 7 for a media server.

Sometimes when the box is starting up the boot process will stall at the following message
    "windows did not..." and gives you the option to start Windows normally or enter safe mode or whatever.

Is there anyway to get Windows to always start and never show this message. Basically always choose start Windows normally?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On any Windows 7 installation I've ever seen, the "start windows normally" option gets chosen automatically after a 30 second timeout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bit of pain when running headless. Its usually (for me) because the box didn't shut down correctly. Maybe look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Alun wrote: »
    On any Windows 7 installation I've ever seen, the "start windows normally" option gets chosen automatically after a 30 second timeout.

I know that's usually the case on my regular PC. But I have had cases where the computer just wouldn't boot. I'd plug in a monitor and it'd be stuck on the screen.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Bit of pain when running headless. Its usually (for me) because the box didn't shut down correctly. Maybe look at that.

Yea, that's usually what I put it down to alright but I can't prevent that from a power outage (I don't have a UPS). Is this only an issue on consumer Windows.

I doubt it would happen on enterprise versions i.e. Server 2003/2008.

It doesn't happen too often so I guess i'll just have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A small UPS that has enough capacity to at least initiate a clean shutdown is cheap enough these days. Something like this for example ... http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME2704388

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Alun wrote: »
    A small UPS that has enough capacity to at least initiate a clean shutdown is cheap enough these days. Something like this for example ... http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME2704388

Those things are the business. Prob do without it for the moment though. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement