Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Owls Ranelagh

• 02-03-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I was too young to go to this place but I can't get the
    radio ad out of my head, Does anyone know all the words, here is what I remember:

"It's the in place to be seen"

"The bars open late"

"The Disco's cool as a dream"

And then the big finish:

"Night Owls Ranelagh - Europe's Only Laserdisc Nightclub"

Does anyone have any stories of what the place was actually like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

wasn't there a lad beaten to death outside it, and it was closed soon after?

Never went, but heard nothing but bad things about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lost its licence in 1999 due to objections, owner appealed, never got it back. Superquinn bought it.

I think the owners son was the DJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

God, I used to go there in 1993-94, didn't realise it had closed. When you arrived you were given a sticker, and you were supposed to locate a member of the opposite sex with a sticker bearing the name that was paired with your own, ie, if you got Juliet you were supposed to find Romeo.
    I remember that radio advert from the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 omnicub3

Nightowls, it's the place to be seen,
    Nightowls, the disco is as cool as a dream,
    Nightowls bars open late, music is great....?
    the music is great
    why go to the rest when nightowls is the best
    nightowls.
    i used to work there...this is most of the jingle..

Irelands first lazer disco, 4 bars, when it opened it was a great spot.
    Had the Crosbie tavern bar downstairs, which was then renamed the 4 provinces.
    Whos eddie used to play there every Fri or Sat.
    It all went downhill in 1997 when on Sundays when it attracted a small minority of undesireables from the clubby crowd and then the fights happened which became nasty.

It closed down then reopened as ??? but it was gaining a bad reputation.
    People getting hit in the head with hammers etc...
    Was probably at its peak in 1993/1994 place was full wed/thur/fri/sat.

I was too young to go to this place but I can't get the
    radio ad out of my head, Does anyone know all the words, here is what I remember:

"It's the in place to be seen"

"The bars open late"

"The Disco's cool as a dream"

And then the big finish:

"Night Owls Ranelagh - Europe's Only Laserdisc Nightclub"

Does anyone have any stories of what the place was actually like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I remember it well. A bit of a cattle mart, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

V. Dodgy place from what I heard about it. Chinese gangsters vs. the local scum from swan grove/rathmines more or less forced it to shut down. Transferred ownership a good few times, the pub went from

The Chariot -> Crosbies -> Four Provinces -> Superquinn

Night Owls itself re-opened around 2004-5 as "Il Mondo"; got closed down due residents complaining about noise within a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Muhammad Vast Monogamy

I worked on the door there!..

Good ol' FIGHT-OWL's!.

It was a kip alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

God the 4 P's! I use to go there on a wednesday nite for the champions league, back in the day when pints of Bulmers used to be 3eur a pint! Twas the only place in Ranelagh that had two big screens. Used to love it bu the crowd that frequented there were dodgy to say the least. I think a lot of them moved up to the Hill pub after it closed and I've heard stories about that place and all (a friend of mine used to be a barman there).

The club above the 4 P's opened up for a brief time in the middle of the naughties, not sure of the name at the time but I do know Jordan was there for the launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I worked on the door there!..

Good ol' FIGHT-OWL's!.

It was a kip alright.

Indeed, Fight-owls was a dive.

Anyone remember Itchy Feet, aka 'Scratchy Toes' further down towards Tempelogue from it. That was a bigger dive, the bloody floor of the place used to bounce up and down in time with peoples dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

stepbar wrote: »
    God the 4 P's! I use to go there on a wednesday nite for the champions league, back in the day when pints of Bulmers used to be 3eur a pint! Twas the only place in Ranelagh that had two big screens. Used to love it bu the crowd that frequented there were dodgy to say the least. I think a lot of them moved up to the Hill pub after it closed and I've heard stories about that place and all (a friend of mine used to be a barman there).

The club above the 4 P's opened up for a brief time in the middle of the naughties, not sure of the name at the time but I do know Jordan was there for the launch.

Forget Jordan ..... whats important is that I was there for the opening night :D

it was "il Mundo" ..... my first and only time in the place - bit of a bigger version of Coppers TBH, I agree with the element of undesirables outside afterwards - didnt see any fights though.

ps. only went back there since it became superquinn (Now I'm a regular:p:p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Was in it a good few times in the mid 90's as well. Don't remember it being too dodgy at the time but then again I was a bit dodgy myself :p.
    Was a decent enough place for pulling the wimmin too. Ah, the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jip wrote: »

Anyone remember Itchy Feet, aka 'Scratchy Toes' further down towards Tempelogue from it. That was a bigger dive, the bloody floor of the place used to bounce up and down in time with peoples dancing.

that floor really moved?

damn, i always thought it was me under the influence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

kelle wrote: »
    God, I used to go there in 1993-94, didn't realise it had closed. When you arrived you were given a sticker, and you were supposed to locate a member of the opposite sex with a sticker bearing the name that was paired with your own, ie, if you got Juliet you were supposed to find Romeo.
    I remember that radio advert from the 80s.

I used to go there around this era as well and I think they used to give out vouchers for food as well,think you had to serve food to get a late licence that time:eek:never bothered withthe grub but i was all for the late licence
    :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Jip wrote: »

Ah, Itchy Feet, the memories, the memories. Tommy Matthews on the Decks, from 87-94. Sunday night was the best night. Place was hopping. Brian Kiely behind the bar (R.I.P. Brian), The Owners Liz and Sharon Murray, Phil on the Door, used to do the door in Blooms too.......... Dancing to all the old-skool rave hits on the bouncy dance floor. Last songs of the night included "Old Red-Eyes" by Beautiful south or "Rock Da House" by Tall Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Wasn't there a rumour that the general had ties to night owls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

didn't they also have an advert wihich ended with

LE DISCOTHEQUE RESTE OUVERT TARD

???

Advertisement