Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtownmountkennedy good place to live?

• 19-06-2011 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Help- feedback appreciated on whether it is a good idea to buy in Newtownmountkennedy? I have been told it is quite rough - is that still the case? Other threads on this but they are a few years old. Have found a great house with spectacular views that I would love - just worried about raising 3 young boys in this area. The house is about 1km outside town. We would be leaving Dundrum to move here. Looking for a more relaxed lifestyle!! I've no problem using the services in Ashford and Greystones - just want to be sure our boys don't grow up in a town where there are big issues with drugs etc. Any feedback on the school?? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I can speak to you as a person who lived in Newtown for over 20 years and I am currently secretary and PRO of Newtown GAA Club.

Newtownmountkennedy has an undeserved bad reputation (owing to its past days when it WAS a rough spot). This is no longer the case now, and Newtown is a lovely spot.

The local post office is the hub of knowledge in the local area. Be sure to head in there and introduce yourself to Robert Nolan, the post office manager. He is most helpful, friendly and enthusiastic and knows practically everything there is to know about the local area and will do his best to help you with anything he can.

Newtown has facilities and anemities that rival any surrounding town. The vast majority of the people are friendly, lovely people and the Mountkennedy Inn and the Parkview Hotel are two of the finest establishments for food in north Wicklow. There are also plenty of take-out restaurants in Newtown (2 Chinese takeaways, an Indian takeaway, a pizza parlour and a chipper; all excellent and good value for money). Dunnes Stores has a large supermarket in the new Mountkennedy Town Centre. Other facilities there include barbers, hairdressers, a chemist, a bookshop, a health centre, a laundry/dry-cleaners, solicitor's offices and a betting office.

From what I have heard, the schools in the village are excellent. Sports is a real passion in the schools and the schools maintain close links with the local GAA and soccer clubs as many of the children in the schools play with the clubs at underage level. The schools are co-ed. The nearest secondary level education school to Newtown is Coláiste Craobh Abhainn in Kilcoole, about a ten minute drive from the village and a school bus service operates daily to and from Newtown.

Sports is also a huge part of the local community;
    -Newtown GAA Club is one of the best run clubs in the county and has football facilities for all age groups (a nursery for 4-7 year olds is run on a Saturday morning in the Gaelic pitch, while Under-8 to Senior adult teams are fielded) and we are always on the look out for new players of all ages. Newtown GAA have recently won both the Wicklow Senior League and the Keating Trophy, two of the three Senior honours in the county.

-Newtown Juniors Soccer Club is also a highly successful club, having won several major awards at the recent Wicklow League Awards Ceremony.

-Newtown Tae-Kwon-Do club holds classes for all ages on Tuesday and Thursday nights in the Community Centre, starting at 7pm.

-There are many golf clubs very close to the village, and one in the village itself (Glen Mill Golf Club). Within easy driving distance are: Delgany Golf Club, Druids Glen Golf Club, Druids Heath, Charlesland Golf Club, Greystones Golf Club, Roundwood Golf Club and Glen Of The Downs Golf Club.

-Paintballing, quad-biking and clay pigeon shooting facilities are located about half-way between Newtown and Roundwood.

There are also darts leagues, Texas Hold Em Poker Tournaments and live music held weekly in the Mountkennedy Inn.

The area is well kept and maintained well by the local Tidy Towns members who work constantly to keep the area in good shape.

Newtown is well served by both Bus Eireann (the 133 service) and Dublin Bus (the 184 service and 84x service). The 184 operates every half an hour from early in the morning until approximately midnight, to and from Bray DART Station via Greystones. The 133 operates once an hour to and from Dublin Airport (via the city centre and Bray) and down to Wicklow Town (via Ashford and Rathnew). Greystones is the nearest DART station to Newtown, and is 20 minutes away on the bus, or a 10 minute drive.

Fishers of Newtownmountkennedy is one of the best clothing stores you could ever ask for. The staff are attentive and helpful and there is a wonderful coffee shop (The Buttery Café) attached to the main store.

There is also an excellent wine store on the Main Street, Claudio's Wines. Claudio himself is a character and will be sure to point you in the right direction of a good vintage!

There are idiots in the village, yes, but thankfully these are in the minority and there is never trouble from them and there is rarely, if ever, trouble in the town.

Hopefully you will enjoy your time in Newtown and I hope this has been helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I would echo some of what the previous poster said.
    It has a a deacent amount to offer for a town of its size and the schools are good (being an allumni of St Josephs myself).

However the reputation is not without justification. & though I agree its not as bad as it was, that doesn't necessarliy mean its very good either.

However if your some distance away from any of the messers you probably won't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

If you want the benefits of NTMK, then you could live in Garden village (Kilpedder), which is a mile away; nice little place especially for families and older people. You can still get to Dunnes and the post office in NTMK from there.There are loads of sporting activities up in NT. A few kids I have spoken to don't give glowing reports of the school (but that is just a kids opinion!) you would need to go and have a closer look yourself.

Fishers is a quality clothing shop as mentioned before, but only for an older taste, imo, nothing for families and younger people.

This area (NT and Garden village) are right next to the N11, so you have easy access to the likes of Greystones for all the lovely restaurants and amenities/social life/sports/kids activities etc.

Just my opinion, but a few years back, we put in an offer on a house in Seasons park NT) and glad we didn't get it, as shortly after there was a stabbing of a teenage girl nearby in the other estate.I also wasn't too keen on the fact that the back garden wall had barbed wire on it and we could see dumped fridges etc over the back (where the hotel is now).

Best bet is to go and spend some time there yourself and get a feel for the place. Eat a meal in the pub and ask some of the locals what they think! They would know the answers!

Good luck in your house hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Greystoner wrote: »
    If you want the benefits of NTMK, then you could live in Garden village (Kilpedder), which is a mile away; nice little place especially for families and older people. You can still get to Dunnes and the post office in NTMK from there.There are loads of sporting activities up in NT. A few kids I have spoken to don't give glowing reports of the school (but that is just a kids opinion!) you would need to go and have a closer look yourself.

Fishers is a quality clothing shop as mentioned before, but only for an older taste, imo, nothing for families and younger people.

This area (NT and Garden village) are right next to the N11, so you have easy access to the likes of Greystones for all the lovely restaurants and amenities/social life/sports/kids activities etc.

Just my opinion, but a few years back, we put in an offer on a house in Seasons park NT) and glad we didn't get it, as shortly after there was a stabbing of a teenage girl nearby in the other estate.I also wasn't too keen on the fact that the back garden wall had barbed wire on it and we could see dumped fridges etc over the back (where the hotel is now).

Best bet is to go and spend some time there yourself and get a feel for the place. Eat a meal in the pub and ask some of the locals what they think! They would know the answers!

Good luck in your house hunting!

Not really anything to do with Season Park though!

And to get from "the other estate" to the Garden Village would take 1 minute extra driving than getting to Season Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Rosie Joe you are correct that it was nothing to do with Season park. The incident was directly to do with the other estate. I have nothing against SP, it seems like a nice estate (hence why we originally put in a bid on a property!).

My point is that Garden village, Kilpedder is ideally located to still use the amenities of NTMK. There is no trouble there. It is a great place to recommend to a family with kids. Very accessible to N11 and schools in NTMK, Bray and Greystones.

NTMK is not quite 'on the doorstep', but far enough away for good or bad reasons. You can choose whether to spend time there or not if you live in Garden village.

Just trying to help. People ultimately make their own minds up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

DazMarz wrote: »
    I can speak to you as a person who lived in Newtown for over 20 years and I am currently secretary and PRO of Newtown GAA Club.

Newtownmountkennedy has an undeserved bad reputation (owing to its past days when it WAS a rough spot). This is no longer the case now, and Newtown is a lovely spot.

The local post office is the hub of knowledge in the local area. Be sure to head in there and introduce yourself to Robert Nolan, the post office manager. He is most helpful, friendly and enthusiastic and knows practically everything there is to know about the local area and will do his best to help you with anything he can.

Newtown has facilities and anemities that rival any surrounding town. The vast majority of the people are friendly, lovely people and the Mountkennedy Inn and the Parkview Hotel are two of the finest establishments for food in north Wicklow. There are also plenty of take-out restaurants in Newtown (2 Chinese takeaways, an Indian takeaway, a pizza parlour and a chipper; all excellent and good value for money). Dunnes Stores has a large supermarket in the new Mountkennedy Town Centre. Other facilities there include barbers, hairdressers, a chemist, a bookshop, a health centre, a laundry/dry-cleaners, solicitor's offices and a betting office.

From what I have heard, the schools in the village are excellent. Sports is a real passion in the schools and the schools maintain close links with the local GAA and soccer clubs as many of the children in the schools play with the clubs at underage level. The schools are co-ed. The nearest secondary level education school to Newtown is Coláiste Craobh Abhainn in Kilcoole, about a ten minute drive from the village and a school bus service operates daily to and from Newtown.

Sports is also a huge part of the local community;
    -Newtown GAA Club is one of the best run clubs in the county and has football facilities for all age groups (a nursery for 4-7 year olds is run on a Saturday morning in the Gaelic pitch, while Under-8 to Senior adult teams are fielded) and we are always on the look out for new players of all ages. Newtown GAA have recently won both the Wicklow Senior League and the Keating Trophy, two of the three Senior honours in the county.

-Newtown Juniors Soccer Club is also a highly successful club, having won several major awards at the recent Wicklow League Awards Ceremony.

-Newtown Tae-Kwon-Do club holds classes for all ages on Tuesday and Thursday nights in the Community Centre, starting at 7pm.

-There are many golf clubs very close to the village, and one in the village itself (Glen Mill Golf Club). Within easy driving distance are: Delgany Golf Club, Druids Glen Golf Club, Druids Heath, Charlesland Golf Club, Greystones Golf Club, Roundwood Golf Club and Glen Of The Downs Golf Club.

-Paintballing, quad-biking and clay pigeon shooting facilities are located about half-way between Newtown and Roundwood.

There are also darts leagues, Texas Hold Em Poker Tournaments and live music held weekly in the Mountkennedy Inn.

The area is well kept and maintained well by the local Tidy Towns members who work constantly to keep the area in good shape.

Newtown is well served by both Bus Eireann (the 133 service) and Dublin Bus (the 184 service and 84x service). The 184 operates every half an hour from early in the morning until approximately midnight, to and from Bray DART Station via Greystones. The 133 operates once an hour to and from Dublin Airport (via the city centre and Bray) and down to Wicklow Town (via Ashford and Rathnew). Greystones is the nearest DART station to Newtown, and is 20 minutes away on the bus, or a 10 minute drive.

Fishers of Newtownmountkennedy is one of the best clothing stores you could ever ask for. The staff are attentive and helpful and there is a wonderful coffee shop (The Buttery Café) attached to the main store.

There is also an excellent wine store on the Main Street, Claudio's Wines. Claudio himself is a character and will be sure to point you in the right direction of a good vintage!

There are idiots in the village, yes, but thankfully these are in the minority and there is never trouble from them and there is rarely, if ever, trouble in the town.

Hopefully you will enjoy your time in Newtown and I hope this has been helpful.
    Future in politics is waiting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Future in politics is waiting for you.

Thanks, Terry... Appreciate it! :p:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CheeryMary

Hi there, we are in the process of buying a house on the outskirts of NTMK and our little fella is due to start primary school next year - what is the primary school like these days in NTMK has it got a good reputation or would I be better off getting him in to our old parish in Greystones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

CheeryMary wrote: »
    Hi there, we are in the process of buying a house on the outskirts of NTMK and our little fella is due to start primary school next year - what is the primary school like these days in NTMK has it got a good reputation or would I be better off getting him in to our old parish in Greystones?

I've heard a few residents of Wicklow Hills saying positive things about the school. What school in Greystones would you consider as an alternative? There are a couple of kids in my childs class (in Greystones) that live in NTMK but weren't too impressed with it and chose Greystones instead. Both sides of the spectrum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement