Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Was just talking to my good mate Peter Gabriel over at Phil Collin's house in Nigeria and he told me yeehaw never once was in contact with him about the boat thing.

Believe me if you like. I'm not that fussed. Time will prove me right. As if Phil Collins has a house in Nigeria anyway. You are worse than the lad who made up those fake bands.

You all seem so angry. Have some Solsbury Hill to lighten the mood. HGD everyone.

squonk wrote: »
    Coming to think of it, I'm pretty sure Peter Gabriel doesn't handle his own bookings anymore either. It's not like giving Noelie McDonnell a shout to see if he's available on a day. Noelie would be a good choice for a gig actually!

Noelie was asked and is in the States at the time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

yeehaw wrote: »
    Noelie was asked and is in the States at the time unfortunately.

thought he was in australia. anyway he would probably play with the timbertramps. Hey I wonder will the timber tramps play - they did it last time and were excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

yeehaw wrote: »
    Believe me if you like. I'm not that fussed. Time will prove me right. As if Phil Collins has a house in Nigeria anyway. You are worse than the lad who made up those fake bands.
    Satire my friend. Can you find the satire?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Noelie is in Aurstralia. Timbertramps are class but not really the Timbertramps without Noelie are they?

• Advertisement

Satire my friend. Can you find the satire?

You're obviously much too clever for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Noelie is in Aurstralia. Timbertramps are class but not really the Timbertramps without Noelie are they?

Um? Noelie doesnt play with the Tramps normally.

um, he does. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

I hear Handel is composing a follow up to The Royal Fireworks, called The Galway Yacht. I'm told he'll be conducting a public performance given by the Orchestra from the Titanic!

squonk wrote: »
    I hear Handel is composing a follow up to The Royal Fireworks, called The Galway Yacht. I'm told he'll be conducting a public performance given by the Orchestra from the Titanic!

Your just messing now, Handel hasn't released anything in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

VORVol2012 wrote: »

2000 volunteers needed

plan & organise some of the high profile events such as the ARRIVALS PARTY, Global Culture Night, 4th of July celebrations and many more.

Experience in event management is a must.

Unpaid volunteers?

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

2000 unpaid volunteers with event management experience? That's gonna be tough no?

So entertainment aside (Steve Earl would have been a great choice IMO)
    does anybody know who is actually winning or likely to win the race, or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I volunteered last time, never again. they wanted you to do 8 hour shifts, which usually ended up being longer. they said food was provided, all u got was a sandwich if you were lucky , and they put some volunteers helping out at commercial ventures.

I hope they get their volunteers but i wont be one of them after my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Yeah I saw that on the newsletter from Galway Volunteer Centre, volunteers for a minimum of 3days to include 8-9hr shifts. I thought it was a very long shift for volunteers, surely they'd be better off looking for people to do 4hr shifts as well. That way they'd get more interest, more flexibility and not have to offer free lunch as there'd be no breaks.

I volunteered last time, never again. they wanted you to do 8 hour shifts, which usually ended up being longer. they said food was provided, all u got was a sandwich if you were lucky , and they put some volunteers helping out at commercial ventures.

I hope they get their volunteers but i wont be one of them after my experience.

No vouchers/after party/special access/merchandise etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Just read the email there again

" Successful volunteers will be asked to attend information sessions and will meet members of the team who will speak to them regarding their skillsets. Telephone interviews may be conducted for some roles. The matching process will take place in early June and for those who are matched to volunteering positions, a training session will take place in the week commencing 25th June and this will be compulsory in order to continue to the accreditation stage of the volunteering programme. "

"Must be available for 2-3 shifts between 30th June -8th July
    A minimum of 8 hours availability per shift is required"

It also says that because of the long shifts, volunteers "must be capable of standing for long periods of time"

Sounds like fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We're busy working away on getting confirmation of acts on all nights from the 30th June - 8th July.
    VORVol2012 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in helping out?
    No offence but you guys need to verify yourselves with the admins when you are posting on behalf of VOR. Please get in touch with them using an official mail adress to hello@boards.ie
    Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Shakti wrote: »
    No vouchers/after party/special access/merchandise etc.?

there were different security clearances for different volunteers, so unless u get a cushy number like , hospitality or media, u wont get into areas the general public cant visit. there were no vouchers, the only perk was the t-shirt and jacket you got which is hardly worth 24 hrs of ur time.

There was an after party , but from what i gathered it was a couple of free drinks and some finger food on a monday night in karma( although i didnt attend so i cant say for sure.) it seems that they havent learned their lesson from last time, as a lot of the people i was with were well pissed off about how they were treated.

I wouldn't mind doing a couple of 4 hour shifts, but no way would i consider it again if its still 8 hour shifts.

Shakti wrote: »
    So entertainment aside (Steve Earl would have been a great choice IMO)
    does anybody know who is actually winning or likely to win the race, or does it matter?

what race?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

This isn't starting to sound overly promising really.

nearly two weeks of free entertainment, craic, food stalls, sounds great to me. If we get fine weather it will be a bonus. Who doesn't like sitting out with a cold beer listening to music, and grabbing some freshly cooked shrimp or strawberries, with your friends.

but of course you will always have the ones who will give out about it, preferring Im sure to sit at home in a dark room and cry. :D:D:D

• This is shaping up to be a great summer in Galway, we really need the weather to come good. The ocean race at the start of July to get things going and then race week at the end of July to top it off.

Cant wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Mars Bar wrote: »
    2000 unpaid volunteers with event management experience? That's gonna be tough no?

Galway Races have hundreds of largely untrained staff every year. The catering etc will be taken care of my companies that have won tenders, so I'd imaging that it won't be that big a problem. Besides, being able to say you worked for VOR for a week will be a good one for kids/students to have on their CVs when they eventually go looking for work

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

antoobrien wrote: »
    Galway Races have hundreds of largely untrained staff every year. The catering etc will be taken care of my companies that have won tenders, so I'd imaging that it won't be that big a problem. Besides, being able to say you worked for VOR for a week will be a good one for kids/students to have on their CVs when they eventually go looking for work

It's exploitative really but that's the way of the world. The only people this could possibly appeal to are those who need experience on their cv or the mad. The Olympics are recruiting 70-100,000 volunteers for London 2012 and I don't know what motivates a lot of them other than boredom.

If 2% of the 2,000 volunteers have any event management experience that would be a result.

If they need 2,000 volunteers, what are the paid staff doing?

On another note, it's very easy to be cynical about this type of event but in my view the weather last time round was the key factor in the success of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

antoobrien wrote: »

Untrained but paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On another note, it's very easy to be cynical about this type of event but in my view the weather last time round was the key factor in the success of the event.
    And the "Red Arrows" :D That was some day in Salthill, scorching sun and a brilliant display by the Reds

• Advertisement

we live in the west of ireland, - its gonna rain. We should be used to it by now - why would you let it enjoy your fun - think of it as "summer rain". Its part and parcel of living here - sunny weather is a bonus - don't bank on it, but if it comes, you can be extra happy. :D:D otherwise, just bring an umbrella - that should sort it. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement