Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Wednesday 18th Jan
    Late Run
    Planned on an easy 30mins to get the ball rolling again. I could possibly have done something light yesterday but i think theres no harm in having one buffer day to ensure everything is ok. I hate hate hate time off as the doubts set in about the race being only x many days away and ill never be ready but a nice easy 30mins and hopefully i can now get back on track! This week is a recovery week anyway and i am well and truly recovered. HR was rising very very easily but i felt full of energy. Had to run late as i had a mental day at work and college and it was beautiful out in the park with the head torch on. Savage evening for a run.
    Time: 00:33:27, Ave Pace: 04:09min/km, Distance: 8.06km Avg HR 141 bpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Great to see you are feeling better dude and certainly no worse for the lay off.

Thursday 19th Jan
    Easy Bike
    Had hoped to get about 45mins in at easy power but was caught up at work and only managed 30mins. Felt great. Last year id been working of a 130's as easy for HR before the power meter but now HR is only an interesting stat as opposed to anything i use to base the effort off. Holding the top of my easy power range (up to 210) had HR hovering below 115 and it was staying consistent rather than rising so im pretty sure im 100% again now. I had originally got the T5 + T20 planned but we've had to bail on that for another time. No point trashing myself only a few days after feeling ok, that would most likely kick me right back again.
    Time: 00:30:42, Ave Power 189W, Distance 16.05km, Ave speed 31.4 km/h

Friday 20th Jan
    Lunchtime Run
    Out Clontarf Stand again up towards the Bull Island bridge and back. Lovely route but fack me the wind is a serious killer out along the strand! Im thinking my HRM strap needs a new battery as i could never get it to settle (well for about 30mins anyway). It was wrecking my head. I was running low 04:0x's on the way out but it was telling me i was in the 150s but when i made it settle (holding it tight to the chest) it was then saying 140 and RPE felt more like 135-140 so i just decided to ignore it and just enjoy the run. Had a good tailwind out but bam again that wind coming back was woeful! Again it was like a wall of wind and the 04:0x's went to barely 5mins/km. Bewteen the wind and the HRM spiking i wasnt enjoying it so much as usual, still enjoying it none the less but not to the same degree. I feklt good the whole way and felt like id never gone out once finished. It didnt take anything from me so RPE was truthful whereas the Garmin was a liar!
    Time: 00:46:18, Ave Pace: 04:27min/km, Distance: 10.41km Avg HR id guess about 140/141 bpm

I've decided im going to keep a basic food diary here from next week so as to possibly stir some discussion there. Ive been sick twice in 3/4 weeks so im keen to see if anyone might spot any glaring deficiencies i might be missing. I don't believe its related though but no harm anyway as it might also help me keep it clean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Bambaata wrote: »
    Friday 20th Jan
    I've decided im going to keep a basic food diary here from next week so as to possibly stir some discussion there. Ive been sick twice in 3/4 weeks so im keen to see if anyone might spot any glaring deficiencies i might be missing. I don't believe its related though but no harm anyway as it might also help me keep it clean ;)

Cool, i'd be very interested to get a view into what other people are doing! I've been thinking of tracking what I eat myself, mostly to stop kidding myself about how well Im eating :D

• Advertisement

Friday 20th Jan
    Lunchtime Run
    Out Clontarf Stand again up towards the Bull Island bridge and back. Lovely route but fack me the wind is a serious killer out along the strand! Im thinking my HRM strap needs a new battery as i could never get it to settle (well for about 30mins anyway). It was wrecking my head. I was running low 04:0x's on the way out but it was telling me i was in the 150s but when i made it settle (holding it tight to the chest) it was then saying 140 and RPE felt more like 135-140 so i just decided to ignore it and just enjoy the run. Had a good tailwind out but bam again that wind coming back was woeful! Again it was like a wall of wind and the 04:0x's went to barely 5mins/km. Bewteen the wind and the HRM spiking i wasnt enjoying it so much as usual, still enjoying it none the less but not to the same degree. I feklt good the whole way and felt like id never gone out once finished. It didnt take anything from me so RPE was truthful whereas the Garmin was a liar!
    Time: 00:46:18, Ave Pace: 04:27min/km, Distance: 10.41km Avg HR id guess about 140/141 bpm

Good luck with the diary, I found it tough keeping one but it did sort out a problem for me If you remember. I was fading towards the end of LER and long bikes. In my attempt to drop the kg's I started to not eat enough carbs, I did not do it on purpose so if I didn't have the diary it would have taken longer to figure it out.

During the day I found it best just to take pics of my food and write it in the diary later that evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Wind was a killer alright i had intervals today and went from being pushed along to straight into a gale:) It certainly would be interesting re food diary as i seen you mention on a previous occasion about being light headed after tough/long sessions. It would be interesting to see what calorie deficits people are working off and if that could have an impact on running yourself down and getting sick.
    I assume you take recovery product after a tough or long session? I find manuka honey very good and i use it mixed with my tea now as a substitue to a spoonful of sugar. I also take a multi vit and echinacea daily.

Saturday 21st January
    Swim
    I headed to the pool just before lunch to get some feel back after missing swimming for about 1.5 weeks. Felt far better than i expected considering the absence. I looked to keep everything fairly easy to just focus on things, making sure form was good and breathing easy and controlled. The lane was mental at first with 6 or 7 in it, half of them breast-stroke/drowning and the other half trying to swim. Lane beside me cleared up after a quick warmup so thankfully the rest of the session went smoother. I just did some 50pulls as 25 fist, 25sw and some front sculling with some easy swimming around them. Times seemed fairly normal but i didnt have my watch and had to rush off at times to get past traffic so i didnt get to see what most of the 50s were coming in on.
    Time:00:40:00, Distance: 2000m

Easy Bike
    Hoped on the turbo for a 2.5hr session but had to cut a little short. Felt good and just maintained a 190-200W range. Also focused on maintaining a road like cadence (about 90) as i sometimes find i run with a faster one of the turbo for some reason, not sure why. From seeing HR data and cadence i find i am more efficient around 90-95 rather than 95+. Session flew by. I had no fan as i left it behind me in my folks place so i was sweating a fair bit. Took on 750mls water, 400mls Lucazade Sport with a Harvest Morn Cranberry cereal bar (60mins) and a banana (90mins). Felt great at the end and happy to be getting back on track.
    Time: 02:05:02, Ave Power 191W, Ave Cadence 90rpm, Distance 65.05km, Ave speed 31.2km/h

Sunday 22nd January
    Long Easy Run
    Just an hour today seeing as its a recovery week "long" run. Felt great and was loving seeing a 03:54km come through at easy HR for km 2. Just ran up through the Phoenix Park and out past the M50 and back. Lovely evening out with the head torch. I find i sometimes run better when i cant see much to distract me. Had bags of energy and i was guilty of letting the HR climb ever so slightly to low steady at times. Ran mainly ton RPE though and breathing was never labored. I normally feel a little tightness on my right calf but not a dickey bird from it tonight and legs felt great. Still do now, not a bit of an ache in any part of them. I went through 7k in 29:03 (04:09/km) with a HR ave of 141 (includes some spiking for 10mins or so to the 150s) and am delighted to see my endurance/fitness seems decent as the second 7k was 29:23 (04:12/km) with only a tiny rise to a 143 average HR. Felt like i could have sprinted for ages but kept it reigned in.
    Time: 01:02:52, Ave Pace: 04:10min/km, Distance: 15.07km

Im going to start the food part of each day as a post and just edit it as the day goes on (otherwise i could leave things out)

Monday 23rd January
    Brekkie (9am)
    Porridge with 1/2 scoup NurtitionX Vanilla Big Whey, handful of walnuts and small bit of manuka honey
    1/2 glass OJ
    Multi-Vitamin, lysine, cod liver Oil (Active 55+ one high Omega 3)
    Black coffee

Lunch (12:00)
    Stir fry (using coconut oil), spinach/cherry tomato salad + spoon of cottage cheese
    Half portion noddles
    1/2 carrot
    1/4 red pepper
    Small few flaked almonds
    2 bird eye chillis
    4 mushrooms
    1/4 portion black bean sauce
    2 cloves of garlic
    200mls apple juice

Post Swim Banana (14:15)

Dinner (16:15)
    Thai Prawn Curry (Pic attached)
    Made by the sister for me from scratch using coconut milk. Lovely so it was. I could identify the following:
    Courgettes
    Red peppers
    Brocolli
    Green chillis
    Topped with coriander and 1/4 lime
    2 small pieces of naan bread and tablespoon of chutney
    Desert: Fat Free Olken Vanilla youghurt (three spoons) with mixed fruit (strawberries, apple, pear, banana, kiwi)
    Didnt have the two plates of the above i normally would and feeling a little hungry already (18:15 now)

Tea (19:00)
    3/4 bowl of carrot/parsnip/turnip mash with 1/4 bowl of potato/spring onion all mixed together wioth some tabasco (leftovers of yetserdays dinner)

Post Run Snack (22:15)
    Wholemeal pitta with small amount of chicken, small amount of ballymaloe relish, spinach, 3 cherry tomatoes - Had this a bit later than id have lied but i didn't get a chance to get my run in til late.

Over the day i had about 2.5-3ls water and two other coffees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sunday 22nd January
    Long Easy Run
    Just an hour today seeing as its a recovery week "long" run. Felt great and was loving seeing a 03:54km come through at easy HR for km 2. Just ran up through the Phoenix Park and out past the M50 and back. Lovely evening out with the head torch. I find i sometimes run better when i cant see much to distract me. Had bags of energy and i was guilty of letting the HR climb ever so slightly to low steady at times. Ran mainly ton RPE though and breathing was never labored. I normally feel a little tightness on my right calf but not a dickey bird from it tonight and legs felt great. Still do now, not a bit of an ache in any part of them. I went through 7k in 29:03 (04:09/km) with a HR ave of 141 (includes some spiking for 10mins or so to the 150s) and am delighted to see my endurance/fitness seems decent as the second 7k was 29:23 (04:12/km) with only a tiny rise to a 143 average HR. Felt like i could have sprinted for ages but kept it reigned in.
    Time: 01:02:52, Ave Pace: 04:10min/km, Distance: 15.07km

Jealous.com :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Jealous.com :cool:

Was thinking the exact same. My 4:08 pace is up around 170HR at the minute. I've just done 30min @133hr which was 5:00 pace. There'll be no catching Eddie this year...

Cheers lads. If only they all felt that easy! Some days it can be 10-15s slower per km but i was feeling great yesterday. Still feeling good actually, had a good swim there and now to some painting in the house!

Monday 23rd January Training
    Lunchtime Swim
    Great swim. I stormed off a little hard to start clocking 02:54 for the opening 200m. It wasn't flat out but was more between hard/steady, race pace id say. Calmed down after! I was a bit over enthusiastic. Some drills and then some 50pulls as 25 fist/25 swim all went well coming in between 46 - 51. To finish i had some fast 50s on 70. they came in on 38, 37, 38, 38.
    Time:00:45:23, Distance: 2000m

Late Run
    Wasnt out until after 9 so i thought i might not run too great. To my surprise the legs felt ok and i was running similar to Sunday. HRM strap was spiking a bit again but would work ok when id press the strap to my chest. I turned at 5k in 20:29. I was still feeling good and the spikes got worse again 6-7k so i just ran to feel more and tried to get it to settle. I did lift it though a little and did just about go into steady at times. Second 5k was 20:30. while it is almost exactly the same as the first 5 k there was a 5BPM difference and a slight downhill. NO real hills on the route but just very gradual drags through the park. Still delighted to feel good. Not sure why my run form seems to be going so well as i dont feel its warranted yet after the short breaks in training recently.
    Time: 00:45:53, Ave Pace: 04:05min/km, Distance: 11.19km

Tuesday 24th January Food Diary
    Up at 07:30 and had 200mls OJ, fish oil, multi-vit and vit B

Breakfast (08:30)
    Porridge with walnuts, half scoup protein powder, manuka honey and small amount of milled linseed

Snack (12:00)
    3 or 4 walnuts halves, apple, banana

Lunch (13:15)
    Other half of yesterdays stir fry and some potato/spring onion
    200mls whole milk

Snack (16:00)
    Banana

Pre session snack (18:30)
    Slice of bread and peanut butter
    Was supposed to leave work at 16:00 but wasnt out til near 6 so i was fairly hungry pre-session!

Dinner (20:30)
    Homemade lasagna, spinach salad with 1 gerkin (i love gerkins!!), beetroot, 3 cherry tomatoes, small amount of spuds/spring onion
    Made a big lasagna yesterday and to make sure theres some goodness in there i added onions, 3 large carrots (mothers trick to get veg into my brother :P ), mushrooms, green pepper and a red pepper.

Post Dinner Treat (20:45)
    Coffee and 2 small roses fudge sweets! Figured i deserved it. In other times that could have been half the tin!!

Water intake was good enough again today. Not sure on amount but the toilet test showed it was a weak straw colour all day ;)

...I stormed off a little hard to start clocking 02:54 for the opening 200m. It wasn't flat out but was more between hard/steady, race pace id say.

That would have out on the feet of the fish leading the swim out in most races...

I was a little eager to say the least! I wasn't going to do the whole session at that intensity though! I think the tips i got from the analysis at B2R are helping.

I use to find, and still do a bit, that no matter how easy id do 50m i would gradually flag as the session went on. Each 50 would be 1s or so slower. RPE would feel really easy and gradually get worse too which im thinking was/is something to do with the hips dropping when i breathe which is caused by a good few things i was doing wrong. I know endurance/fitness etc can also come into it but fixing these things seems to be helping and i find im not having to force things as much like i use to.

Actually if anyones interested here is the video from my swim there. Please note this is only a tiny part of what the whole session did and some things i was trying to do to correct 1 thing had other things going astray ;)Swim @ B2R

Tuesday 24th January Training
    Easy Bike
    Just an hours spin out tonight and i think it was perfect timing. I was feeling a little tired and achey to start but warmed up by 10mins or so. I had a flat to start and just prayed it was a very slow one but after 38mins i had to pump it up, the bloody garmin reset itself and went into upload at this for some reason so the session was split into 2. Had to get off again once more before the finish. Felt fine by the end and session as always flew by. Tried to hold a nice cadence just over 90 to flush out the legs
    Time: 01:00:00, Ave Power About 177W, Distance 31.69km, Ave speed 31.7km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

That's a nice catch you got there Eddie.
    Looks to give you solid propulsion.
    Nice vid.

Actually care to divulge your pb's at present by any chance?

Curious to see someone at your level's pb's?

400m TT in pool? or 750m etc?
    5km run on treadmill?

Fazz wrote: »
    That's a nice catch you got there Eddie.
    Looks to give you solid propulsion.
    Nice vid.

I beg to differ actually as you seem to do the same thing with your right hand that I do every few strokes :o Bend your fingers up, effectively acting as a brake at your catch. Your acceleration through the water with a high elbow is nice...

• Advertisement

Actually care to divulge your pb's at present by any chance?

Curious to see someone at your level's pb's?

400m TT in pool? or 750m etc?
    5km run on treadmill?

Never mind!
    I reread the first post and see you did indeed:

05:52 for 400TT in pool
    17:30 for 5k outdoor.

Good work. I've not really done a flat out 5k on treadmill and wonder if/how much quicker it would be compared to a flat race?
    speeds not always accurate of course but garmin footpod calibrated would bring it relatively close.
    UCD 5k may have to be next run race.

I beg to differ actually as you seem to do the same thing with your right hand that I do every few strokes :o Bend your fingers up, effectively acting as a brake at your catch. Your acceleration through the water and the length of your stroke to the finish is nice...

Harsh :D

I think his early vertical forearm looks good and that's what I mean by nice catch.
    Looks like he keeps his elbow bent and seems to perform that area well - as opposed to dropping to straight arm etc.

I know next to nothing about swimming though so ain't gonna argue! :pac:

The man's got fast swim times so it's working, let's hope he doesn't get any faster or else I'm calling shotgun on Bambaata's feet in Athy Sprint if doing it :D

Harsh :D

I think his early vertical forearm looks good and that's what I mean by nice catch.
    Looks like he keeps his elbow bent and seems to perform that area well - as opposed to dropping to straight arm etc.

I know next to nothing about swimming though so ain't gonna argue! :pac:

The man's got fast swim times so it's working, let's hope he doesn't get any faster or else I'm calling shotgun on Bambaata's feet in Athy Sprint if doing it :D

I know F all too for that matter :o His feet are all yours if you can keep up. I'm doing the Longer swim at Athy anyway.

All comments would be more than welcome. I know i have big issues that once rectified should help a lot. My balance is the big thing. I don't control enough with my core/lower back particularly when i breathe and i arch my lower back. Consequence being i drop and my extended arm as a hard time maintaining a high elbow. What i was most happy with was that i am actually able to get a nice high elbow, i didn't think i had the flexibility for it so it was very encouraging to know i can become a decent swimmer with time. It will take time though, under no illusions there. My long term aim is Kona and i will need to be swimming go sub 60 for any chance of that!

Would love more comments Mike if you do spot things, in case im missing things. I'll focus a bit on Friday on the hand. Its hard to know what individual parts are doing sometimes. Part of the reason for starting a log here was to get constructive stuff like that.

Wednesday 25th January Food Diary

Pre-Swim (06:30)
    Half banana
    150mls Lucazade Sport
    Coffee
    200mls OJ
    Multi Vit
    Lysine

Post Swim (08:30)
    Other half of the banana and some water

Breakfast (10:00)
    Porridge with 1/2 scoup protein powder, milled linseed, maunka honey, 5 or 6 half walnut segments
    I love that brekkie!! Traffic was dire so it was a little later than planned as i had to run straight into a meeting at 9am.

Snack (12:00)
    Nice juicey red apple

Lunch (14:00)
    1/2 tin beans on 2 slices of toast and a fillet of salmon.
    I was starving and this hit the spot perfect!

Snack (Afternoon)
    Had a cappuccino at a meeting at 15:00 (not excactly a snack but want to record it anyays)
    Much later at work than hoped so all i could manage at 18:00 before rushing to college were 3 or 4 walnut halves! Not ideal!

Snack (20:00)
    Fruit salad - Strawberries, melon, watermelon, red and green grapes, kiwi
    Only had a 10min break from session during lecture and just about managed to get a fruit salad, twas either that or a chocolate bar!

Dinner (21:30)
    Very small amount of the lasagna, spinach, beetroot, 4 cherry tomatoes and some light choices honey/mustard dressing
    250mls apple juice

Much much later than id have liked but had to get something in. Work is a bit mental so i didn't get home before college as was planned. Water was decent again today apart from the time between 16:00 and 18:00

Id love to know what peoples thoughts are on such days (no chance of grabbing dinner at a decent hour). I hate not eating so took the decision to eat small seeing as it was after 9pm. I decided a small amount lat was better than nothing at all particularly with 45mins of work tomorrow on the bike (02:30 @ 85%. 00:30 @ 120% FTP)

Never mind!
    Good work. I've not really done a flat out 5k on treadmill and wonder if/how much quicker it would be compared to a flat race?
    speeds not always accurate of course but garmin footpod calibrated would bring it relatively close.
    UCD 5k may have to be next run race.

Treadmills = evil and i avoid at all costs! The only time i resort to them are when its too icey to run. I just hate them, granted the one i have easy access to is in a room that is already too warm and doesn't have any ventilation!

The thing that struck me straight away was what shotgun pointed out and the right hand with fingers pointed up.

This may help...especially at 1:06 you kinda see the fingers pointed down as the hand enters

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5569/freestyle---playing-with-freestyle-hand-entry.html

Otherwise nice high catch :cool:

Cheers for that ElD. Good video too.

Wednesday 25th January Training
    Morning Swim
    Really good session this morning. Felt good in the water. It wasnt a taxing session but i was still happy to see form is coming along. At times id feel like i was flying when everything seemed to come together well and it felt easy but it wasnt lasting right through. Control felt good though on the stroke and times seemed to match what i had been doing before in the late evening "fueled" sessions. I forgot my watch for actual splits so just kept an eye on the poolside clock. I had some 50pulls as 25fist, 25sw and they all came in 46 - 51 with most under 50 which is good for me. Then 4 150s sw steady which were 02:30, 02:28, 02:27, 02:26. I didnt mean to descend but was solely focusing on form and things seemed to get better the further i went. I didnt mind about time too much and just wanted to concentrate. 4 x 50 fast on 70 at the end were all 40. Happy with the session and looking forward to Fridays longer set (3200)
    Time:00:43:00, Distance: 2100m

Lunchtime Run
    Decent run again. It was easy but for 5mins of 20s fast, 30s easy. I felt great on the run out along the Clontarf strand and had pace hovering around the 4min/km. I did feel though that i was finding it difficult to get HR to drop and it stick to the top of easy. Im going to back off more in future. Have to remind myself that easy = easy, hard = hard, middle ground = no-no for these sessions so im going to focus more on HR being in the 130s. Legs still felt great though and RPE was feeling easy. There was a very strong side/slight tail-wind on the way out. Turned and started the 5mins of the 20/30 into what was now a significant headwind. I ran these harder then i think i ever have and HR as a result climbed to the 170s as a result. I rarely if ever reach the 170s so i was happy to be able to push that hard. HR wasnt dipping fast though and was only getting to high 150s by the end of the 30s easy despite RPE being very very very easy. Last of the 20s had a slight tailwind/sidewind so had the best pace of the lot. Felt good after too with no niggles or any form of stiffness! The reps were:
    Split Time Distance Avg Pace Best Pace Avg HR Max HR
    1 00:21:19 5.25 04:04 02:59 141 164
    2 00:00:20 0.11 02:56 02:50 149 158
    3 00:00:30 0.1 04:54 02:56 160 162
    4 00:00:20 0.1 03:29 03:10 156 161
    5 00:00:30 0.1 05:02 03:08 162 165
    6 00:00:20 0.1 03:29 03:12 158 162
    7 00:00:30 0.09 05:18 03:12 163 167
    8 00:00:20 0.1 03:21 03:03 161 165
    9 00:00:30 0.1 05:01 03:03 167 170
    10 00:00:20 0.1 03:13 02:57 164 170
    11 00:00:30 0.1 05:15 03:04 168 172
    12 00:00:20 0.11 02:59 02:39 164 171
    13 00:00:30 0.08 05:59 02:42 170 174
    14 18:44.1 4.07 04:36 03:33 143 163
    Summary 45:03.1 10.51 04:17 02:39 145 174

Time: 00:45:03, Ave Pace: 04:17min/km, Distance: 10.51km

• Advertisement

Jesus thats the most detail I've ever seen logged on anyone 'lunchtime' run on these logs!

Advertisement