Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Meteor ported number to another network without permission

• 17-02-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

My son is 12 this year and for Christmas he got his first mobile phone. It's on the Meteor network as are both his parents phones. All was fine until today when we noticed he hadn't received a text we had just sent him. I tried calling from his phone and it gave an error - "No mobile network" or something like that. I tried to register on Meteor, but it would fail. So, I rang Meteor.

I gave them my son's number and the customer support representative couldn't find him on their system. So, I gave them his sim card id and she was able to locate his account.

Which was closed.

The number had been ported to Vodafone. I enquired how this was possible, since neither he - a soon to be 12 year old, nor his parents, had requested or given permission for such a port.

I was told that the number used to be a bill pay number with Meteor, but the account was cancelled. The number was recycled and given to my son. The previous owner must have requested the port, which should have failed, as his Meteor account had lapsed. She told me that my son's SIM card was no longer valid and she would send me out a new one. I then asked about transferring his original number and his credit. She could not determine his credit balance, as the account was closed, but it was around the €20 euro mark. I was told that this would be credited to his new SIM and that his original number would also be transferred.

I then hung up and started thinking about this other person getting all my sons texts and calls from his friends and family. I wasn't too happy about that. I rang Vodafone and used my sons 085 number to get into the system. I spoke to another customer representative who told me that the account was indeed on Vodafone, it was Bill pay and that the person was not myself or my son. So now a total stranger has my sons number and is getting all his texts.

I was not happy at all, so immediately rang Meteor back, looking to escalate this issue. I wanted to know how this could have happened, and what could be done. The support representative was unable to assist and told me I would have to take this issue up with Vodafone as they had the number. I nearly lost the plot at this stage, so I demanded to speak to a supervisor/manager. I was told about the standard call back policy of 24-48 hours.

So now I have to wait two days, if not more, for a call back. I was given an address to write a formal complaint to and not much else.

My main issues are really this:
    1 - how did my sons number get ported without the owners permission
    2 - how can I get this resolved quicker so that my sons private texts are not going to a complete stranger
    3 - will my son get his number and credit back
    4 - how to prevent this from happening again

Looking for any advice on how to proceed.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would say if you are not happy with the response get on to comreg and log it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

mindstorms wrote: »
    So now I have to wait two days, if not more, for a call back. I was given an address to write a formal complaint to and not much else.

My main issues are really this:
    1 - how did my sons number get ported without the owners permission
    2 - how can I get this resolved quicker so that my sons private texts are not going to a complete stranger
    3 - will my son get his number and credit back
    4 - how to prevent this from happening again

Looking for any advice on how to proceed.
    thanks.

I would think that your son is entitled to his number back as it was given to the previous owner in error. However, the longer that the current holder of your son's number uses that no, means that if you get this nunmer back for your son, he will get texts and calls for the current holder.

If it were me, I would call Meteor immediately and ask for an official complaint to be registered - make sure that they give you their reference number.

I would log a complaint with both Comreg and the Data Commisioner - after all, your son's information in the form of personal text messages sent to this number, are now in the possesion of a 3rd party, through Meteor's fault. You will need the Meteor complaint reference number when logging a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As best I understand the mechanics behind number porting, Meteor still control the 085 number range. When someone ports from Meteor to another network, that number is effectively flagged as "redirected", so when you ring it the call first goes to Meteor who send the connection to Vodafone.
    Since this is the case, there is nothing to stop Meteor reclaiming this number.

I wouldn't accept a new number. Meteor's porting process failed to account for this scenario, this is their problem and they have to rectify it.

If Meteor refuse to give the number back, then I would definitely escalate the issue to Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Ah how the plot thickens. I rang Meteor back and requested an official complaint. Spoke to a very helpful customer representative who listened, once again, as I explained the issue. She spoke to the technical people who reckon a typo was made when Vodafone requested the port. She asked me to ring Vodafone and request a port reversal. She stayed on the line while I called Vodafone.

I rang Vodafone, entered my sons number and spoke to their representative. I asked him to do a port reversal and he said he could not as the details I provided did not match the details on the account. I had to bring a proof of ID and phone to a Vodafone store to prove the number was mine and then they would do a reversal. I asked why the same ID checks had not been used in the first place to port the number over but was given a rubbish answer.

So, now I am waiting for Meteor to email me proof that I own the number and will then have to either fax it to Vodafone or call to Vodafone store.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

If the number was ported to Vodafone the error was made on Vodafones side, as the recipient Vodafone are responsible for the Data Protection check to ensure they are porting the correct number., meteor won't verify anything, they are obliged legally to release the number on the assumption the other operator has done its duty.

At this point Meteor really should be contacting Vodafone to arrange a Port reversal which will reinstate your son's account and a fine will be issued to Vodafone.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies and advice on this. Meteor said they are unable to get Vodafone to perform a reversal. As the owner of the phone number, I need to get Vodafone to perform the reversal. I'm going to head to my local Meteor store to get proof the phone is mine and then head to the nearest Vodafone store and get the port reversed. Hopefully...

As another poster above said, no harm getting COMREG involved either, the.process is supposed to be straight forward.

Hope you get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If the number was ported to Vodafone the error was made on Vodafones side, as the recipient Vodafone are responsible for the Data Protection check to ensure they are porting the correct number., meteor won't verify anything, they are obliged legally to release the number on the assumption the other operator has done its duty.

At this point Meteor really should be contacting Vodafone to arrange a Port reversal which will reinstate your son's account and a fine will be issued to Vodafone.

This is exactly it, this is a Vodafone error. They did not verify the msisdn/made and error when submitting the port. A port reversal should be straight forward enough although I can envisage the fact that it's now billpay adding to complications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

theteal wrote: »
    This is exactly it, this is a Vodafone error. They did not verify the msisdn/made and error when submitting the port. A port reversal should be straight forward enough although I can envisage the fact that it's now billpay adding to complications
    Vodafone won't want to upset a new customer by taking this number off them and giving it back to the op but they must and getting ComReg involved is the best way to go.

Could also be a case of the New Vodafone customer not noticing their number is incorrect aswell, "jus sayin"

• Advertisement

Called into the Vodafone store on Patrick St in Cork. Spoke to a very helpful gentleman there who took my details. He went off and spoke to his people and came back saying the issue would be resolved within two hours - they just had to contact the bill payer to tell him his number would be changing. Rang the number an hour later and got a message saying the call couldn't be connected - which was a change from the usual Vodafone voice mail. Restarted my sons phone and it registered correctly on Meteor. Also, all the texts came in. Rang Meteor and they gave him his 20 euro credit back as well - as a good will gesture. So, at this stage, all is back to the way it was.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Talking to Meteor and asking for the official complaint reference number is what finally started getting things moving. Once Meteor were engaged, they explained clearly how I should work with Vodafone to resolve the issue.

mindstorms wrote: »
    Called into the Vodafone store on Patrick St in Cork. Spoke to a very helpful gentleman there who took my details. He went off and spoke to his people and came back saying the issue would be resolved within two hours - they just had to contact the bill payer to tell him his number would be changing. Rang the number an hour later and got a message saying the call couldn't be connected - which was a change from the usual Vodafone voice mail. Restarted my sons phone and it registered correctly on Meteor. Also, all the texts came in. Rang Meteor and they gave him his 20 euro credit back as well - as a good will gesture. So, at this stage, all is back to the way it was.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Talking to Meteor and asking for the official complaint reference number is what finally started getting things moving. Once Meteor were engaged, they explained clearly how I should work with Vodafone to resolve the issue.
    You should go back to Vodafone now and get €20 off them to cover the credit they wiped off the account:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You should go back to Vodafone now and get €20 off them to cover the credit they wiped off the account:D

Im sure you'll be able to find a way to make that happen

lala88 wrote: »
    Im sure you'll be able to find a way to make that happen
    Considering that Vodafone are fully responsible for porting the number(effectively stealing it) and losing all the credit that was attached to the account I think a substantial gesture should be forthcoming!

Considering that Vodafone are fully responsible for porting the number(effectively stealing it) and losing all the credit that was attached to the account I think a substantial gesture should be forthcoming!

Effectvely stealing thats another big allegation made by you. Seeing as there not a Vodafone customer i dont think Vodafone should be giveing any ''substantial gesture''

Effectvely stealing thats another big allegation made by you. Seeing as there not a Vodafone customer i dont think Vodafone should be giveing any ''substantial gesture''
    The OP had the number for their meteor account which there was credit attached to!

Vodafone wrongfully ported this number to one of their own customers!

The credit on the account was lost in the port!

Vodafone took the number without the permission of the owner of the number!

What would you call it?

If a mistake they should be grateful the whole thing has not been reported to ComReg and they are escaping hefty fines so should compensate the person they have inconvenienced!

The OP had the number for their meteor account which there was credit attached to!

Vodafone wrongfully ported this number to one of their own customers!

The credit on the account was lost in the port!

Vodafone took the number without the permission of the owner of the number!

What would you call it?

If a mistake they should be grateful the whole thing has not been reported to ComReg and they are escaping hefty fines so should compensate the person they have inconvenienced!

Well im sure Vodafone didn't knowly give the number out. Is it not safe to say if Vodafone gave out a number and everything goes though that no one ealse is using the number?

But then again going by most of your posts you look for any reason to have a go at any company.

Well im sure Vodafone didn't knowly give the number out. Is it not safe to say if Vodafone gave out a number and everything goes though that no one ealse is using the number?

But then again going by most of your posts you look for any reason to have a go at any company.
    If they make silly mistakes that affect people who are customers of other companies people should be having a go at them! Is the person who lost all their credit not entitled to be compensated by Vodafone?

If they make silly mistakes that affect people who are customers of other companies people should be having a go at them! Is the person who lost all their credit not entitled to be compensated by Vodafone?

They were compensated by Meteor so why should they also be compensated by Vodafone? I suppose they should because theres a rescission.....

They were compensated by Meteor so why should they also be compensated by Vodafone? I suppose they should because theres a rescission.....
    They got a goodwill gesture from meteor, they have still not been compensated by Vodafone for them taking their credit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I don't know what planet you are on? Earlier you state
    Well im sure Vodafone didn't knowly give the number out

Are you suggesting that the Vodafone organisation is in some sort of collective stupification or narcolepsy where numbers belonging to customers of other companies are given out willy nilly and that people should just put up with this?

Vodafone fell down procedurally very badly in this case - the op was seriously inconvenienced by their actions why shouldn't they be compensated?

In my view Vodafone should have been reported to both Comreg and the DPC for their carelessness in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So reminds me of an issue I had a few years ago, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67888418 mine was due to lazy stafff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fintaneduffy

iv had the same problem with vodafone porting my number from meteor. however i have not been through the problems that the op has been through, however im still without a phone since monday while a port reversal is carried out.

i also lost my credit with meteor but they returned it as a "once off goodwill gesture" aswell.

as it was a goodwill gesture, should you still be entitled to compensation from vodafone for the inconvienence of not having a phone for 3 days?

as far as i am told, when a port reversal is involved, the mobile operator incurs fines of €2000 (so i am told from a meteor rep), so they should also incur penalties in the customers favour???

just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iv had the same problem with vodafone porting my number from meteor. however i have not been through the problems that the op has been through, however im still without a phone since monday while a port reversal is carried out.

i also lost my credit with meteor but they returned it as a "once off goodwill gesture" aswell.

as it was a goodwill gesture, should you still be entitled to compensation from vodafone for the inconvienence of not having a phone for 3 days?

as far as i am told, when a port reversal is involved, the mobile operator incurs fines of €2000 (so i am told from a meteor rep), so they should also incur penalties in the customers favour???

just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Have you reported this to Comreg?

There really is no excuse for this and the consequential major inconvenience to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fintaneduffy

i have opened a case today but mainly for information. vodafone told me since that in no way was i entitled to anything from them and would have to prove i had money on my account with meteor before they would refund me that, but thats as far as they would go.

i will be taking the matter further with comreg tomorrow.

Advertisement