Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PhotoBlocker Spray?

• 19-05-2005 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever used the spray that is supposed to block your license plates to speed camera's by over exposure?

I saw it here at www.carstores.biz for €35 ex. p&p
    The old man is considering buying it. And I was wondering if it was any good?
    Yes, No?

Thanks,
    Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Forget it, it's a joke. As far as I could make out it's simply cans of hi-shine spray varnish with a "photoblocker" label put on the outside.
    It's not even worth the postage they'll charge you if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

OK thanks for that, will some hi shine varnish do the job?
    or,
    will one just have to find another way around the speed cameras e.g. keep to the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I'd say the varnish is a dead end, I've yet to see solid proof. There are plenty of these so called tests on the net but i don't put much credit in them now.

I'd say keep it under the limit is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Do what a mate of mine did.....
    Nick the plates off a Gatso Van, attatch them to your own car and speed past the van about 10 times ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JohnCleary wrote:
    Nick the plates off a Gatso Van, attatch them to your own car and speed past the van about 10 times ;)
    What happened then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

JohnCleary wrote:

Isn't that an urban legend from Austrailia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

On my way home past a building site yesterday I noticed a funny sheen from the reg plates on 2 cars (Both DL Reg, wouldn't you know it?).

One must have been sprayed, and from any angle other than dead on it did look pretty hard to read/glarey.

The other guy had his plates in a special holder with a plastic cover that produced more or less the same effect.

Given that these knacks from Donegal are using it, there must be something to it.

Apparently one can does 6 cars, so why don't we have a whiparound? What have we got to lose? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have heard that rubbing the plate with a clear candle does the job aswell.

I haven't seen evidence though!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

magpie wrote:
    On my way home past a building site yesterday I noticed a funny sheen from the reg plates on 2 cars (Both DL Reg, wouldn't you know it?).

One must have been sprayed, and from any angle other than dead on it did look pretty hard to read/glarey.

The other guy had his plates in a special holder with a plastic cover that produced more or less the same effect.

Given that these knacks from Donegal are using it, there must be something to it.
    Are you referring to the blueish tinted plates?
    magpie wrote:
    Apparently one can does 6 cars, so why don't we have a whiparound? What have we got to lose? :)
    How are you going to test it to see if it works? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have noticed the blue tint on the plates on a number of cars as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably the plates with a blue tint are illegal as Irish reg plates are meant to be white

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The blue tint is only a protective film which is on the plastic whilst they are being manfactured. It should be removed before fitting !

I really think all of these products are pure "Snake Oil" stories and I cant see any of them working. Possibly placing a thick clear sheet in front making the it opaque from an angle might work but it would have to be quite thick IMO !

Another thing I heard recently from a Copper was that the cameras dont have to flash to take a photo, why should they in daylight anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BrianD wrote:
    I have noticed the blue tint on the plates on a number of cars as well.

A friend bought a new car last year. It arrived with blue (kinda pale blue) plates from the dealer. He called over one day and I was out having a look at his purchase.
    I asked him what the deal is with the plates, (they are perfectly standard except for this blue tint), and he shruggs his shoulders, "I dunno".
    So on closer inspection, i discovered it is just a temporary film over the plate, like on the face of a new watch. It just peeled right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

There's a waxy coating with crystally things in it available here that results in the plate looking just like a reflector when a light's shined on it. Cops will pull you over if they're driving behind you and can't read your plate at night with their headlamps shining on it, though. In ireland the cops probably aren't nearly that useful.

thanks,
    guys,my dad is goin to buy it anyway to see what it works like.when he puts it on i will test it with a digi camera with and without the flash in day and night...
    €42 isnt too bad anyway,its a once off!

Hakko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

A program on discovery did a show on these so called 'gatso beaters'. They tested,cd on the dash,the spray on film tin foil on the dash etc. None of them worked. All the police needed was three consecutive digits or numbers to narrow it down enough to issue a ticket. Id say staying under the limit is your best bet (and 40 odd euro cheaper!)

Ok the gatso will tell your speed but with the spray will it be able to read your number plate..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I've heard that using cheap hairspray does as good a job in beating the gatsos

Spraying it on the number plate I mean, not looking good for court :P

sounds like anything that is very reflective will do the job..it is a well known fact that the gatso's use flashes so when they do flash a plate wit anything over reflective on it will cause it to over expose on the photo. I am going to carry out some tests with a digi camera..

Hakko

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Everybody knows where the fixed gatsos that use a flash are so why would you want this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Wouldn't it be easier to just start a list of where all the gatsos are?

I was thinking the same thing,is there any online database?I once heard of a site but i cant remember it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I was thinking the same thing,is there any online database?I once heard of a site but i cant remember it..
    http://www.irishlimits.com/

Sound good must check it out,thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

thanks,
    guys,my dad is goin to buy it anyway to see what it works like.when he puts it on i will test it with a digi camera with and without the flash in day and night...

Hakko

taking pictures from close distance with digital camera doesn't prove anything.
    my camera flash will make plates unreadable up to 12 feet without any spray.
    I seen demo of this spray on one of the motor shows and guy was taking pictures from 5feet, cheap Chinese cameras will set things on fire up to 7 feet, dont mind reflecting light from the plates

waste of money. spray is a lots of poo. Think about vans fitted with infrared(no flash) cameras .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

thanks,

Hakko

Let us know how you got on Hakko.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

magpie wrote:
    Both DL Reg, wouldn't you know it? ... knacks from Donegal

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I suppose that whatever you are doing you would need plastic number plates and not metal :)

a solid uniform plastic surface

• Advertisement

Actually, I wont be ordering it because since the start of this thread I dont recall anybody having positive feedback on the spray and it it would be stupid of me to go and buy it after all..
    Also, it only "Protects" you from gatso's there are still laser,radar,gatso vans etc so I think one should just stick to the limit or get the points..
    Hakko

Advertisement